Breloom Sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.
A team that I put together based around Sweeping with Breloom as I have never used him before now. I have tested this team out extensively and it has been relatively successful but that doesnt mean to say that it can't be improved upon. Being new to team building there are probably a list of glaring mistakes that I have made, so any help or suggestions would be really useful!

Thanks all.

breloom.png gothitelle.png terrakion.png sci.png jellicent.png Skarmory.png
The objective of this team is to clear the way for Breloom to sweep by using entry hazzards, trapping phazing and generally trying to predict switches and punish the opponent.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

The centerpiece of his team, Breloom's job is to sweep through the opponents team with his two STAB attacks after a swords dance (or two). Breloom should be reserved until it is safe to send him out to sweep as losing him early on often costs me the game.

Gothitelle (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave

Pretty self explanatory really, Gothitelle's job is to trap and destroy anything and everything that could hinder Breloom's sweep. Thunder Wave is particularly useful on this set as I often use it to cripple threats that can't be immediately dispatched. Expert Belt is on this set to enable Gothitelle to do more damage before it is KO'ed itself, enabling it to more efficiently support the team.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Terrakion is here for Stealth Rock and Taunt as well as being able to provide coverage with it's two STABS. As Terrakion outspeeds many other Steal Rock leads I am often able to get the jump on them with Taunt which either forces a switch or allows me to freely set up Stealth Rocks.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

Choice Band Scizor is on this team to provide Momentum with U-Turn, priority with Bullet Punch and Quick Attack and coverage with Mach punch, I always switch in Scizor after something has been KO'ed to revenge kill.

(Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
- Shadow Ball

Jellicent's main role on this team is to act as a spinblocker and provide coverage/resistances that would otherwise destroy the entire team. It also serves as a special wall and is able to stall with Toxic and Recover.

(Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SDef
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Skarmory's first obvious use on this team is to lay Spikes and either phaze with Whirlwind or attack with Brave Bird. Skarmory also serves as this team's wall, allowing it sponge attacks and Roost off the damage.

I have never seen Gothitelle used like that before; IMO Calm Mind and Choice Scarf are more effective sets. Choice Scarf, for example, allows you to trap and defeat Gengar (oh the irony considering the furore over Mega Gengar), which is a pretty hard counter to Breloom; likewise, Expert Belt Gothitelle can't do much to Celebi, (even Thunder Wave is useless because of Natural Cure). Thus I suggest the following set, which I feel traps stuff that Breloom struggles with more optimally:

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick / Thunderbolt

Signal Beam hits Celebi really hard (and the Scarf allows you to hurt it before it runs away with Baton Pass), and hurts Psychic-types like Latios, Alakazam and Starmie; HP Ice deals with the likes of Salamence, who also stop a Breloom sweep dead; the last slot is mostly filler and you can play around with other options besides those listed.

Otherwise this looks like a decent team, although you might have a bit of trouble with Electric-types like Thundy-T. Mamoswine might patch up this weakness a bit, as he can take on most Electric types bar Rotom-W, which is murdered by Breloom. I might suggest Mamoswine > Scizor as Scizor seems the most replacebale Pokemon on the team.

Last edited:
Thank you for the rate, I was thinking that about replacing Scizor as I realised that I had no way of hitting Electric types but replacing him would leave me without a choice based revenge killer. Is there anything I could do to combat this? My team also lacks rapid spin support but I don't really think there is a place on my team for one as it would mean sacrificing an important poke and could be harmful to my overall strategy. Again, thank you for taking the time to look though the team :)

EDIT
I completely forgot that you suggested changing the Gothitelle set and that the set you suggested has a choice scarf. I'll test out Mamoswine and let you know how it works out.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.

Your descriptions are too short to fit the RMT rules requirements.
I encourage you to PM me an updated version of this team with beefed up descriptions, and since you're new, to join the Mentor Program. I'll be unlocking this thread after that.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)