Project Break This Team: USUM UU Edition [Week 71 - Submissions]

As builder of the team I'm certainly......Interested by some of the submissions this week. 3 of the submissions have rather unothrodox or at the very least unseen otherwise sets. I'm glad I made a team that gave people so much trouble. I think the Celebi cores are a little better than the Amoonguss ones though. Clear Smog Amoonguss struggles to KO Alt and will still lose to Lax in a raw 1v1, not to mention bug-Z Scizor can put the pain on it and if either Amoon gets their item knocked then U-turn gets annoying. I find it to be more of a nuisance to the team than a genuine problem. The Celebis are kind of a real issue though, especially since they're both paired with mons that battle my go-to check to it in bulky Scizor. I think Juuno's core stands out a little more than Faded's, as his Celebi still gets hugely punished by facade on switch and his core doesn't punish simply U-turning against Celebi everytime. Juuno's core also lacks counterplay to constant U-turning but is at least a little better in that the Celebi is more aggressive And can outright sweep me if I'm not careful about my Scizor's health. Though I did find the two very different approaches to Celebi + Bulky water very interesting and if I were to go back and redo this team I'd probably add more counterplay to bulky grasses in general since Celebi and Amoonguss were really popular with this week's submissions and are probably one of my worst matchups. Beatable, but difficult. I'll definitely take this week into consideration when using the team or building similar ones.
Overall, my vote goes to Juuno.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Congratulations to Juuno for winning this week unanimously! As scizorphobic can't access his computer at the moment and I don't have the teambuilding process description for the team he was going to use, I will be using one of my own teams this week as I don't want to delay this until he wakes up!

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Toxic

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Block

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA
Modest Nature
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 132 HP / 16 Atk / 196 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

"This team was built around the core of Mega Aggron + Rhyperior, which offers far better Volt Switch blocking than Mega Steelix + Nihilego does, and isn't Pursuit weak either, while still maintaining a Moltres resist. I decided to put rocks on Mega Aggron, which gave me the opportunity to run a 3 Attacks SD Set on Rhyperior, to aid in breaking fatter teams. The speed investment was chosen to allow it to speed everything up to uninvested Empoleon and Sylveon. Sylveon was chosen as the next member to aid as a cleric and wish passer for these two pokemon, due to them having no recovery of their own. Hydreigon was chosen for the team's Defogger, acting as a Ground immunity and Knock Off sponge for the team. Darkinium was chosen over Dragonium to allow it to nuke Scizor and other potential Steels. Finally, Slowbro and Amoongus were added to provide some extra longevity to the team as a Regen core, and provide key checks to pokémon such as Primarina, Mamoswine, Terrakion and Cobalion. Blockbro was chosen to improve the Stall matchup, with Calm Mind over Toxic as the team was very Suicune weak without it, while with Calm Mind it can waste all of it's PP."

Submissions end Friday, have fun!​

Last edited:
NP celebi and Moltres

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam

Moltres @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- U-turn

Yeah this team is Celebi food pretty much. The team is slow with no scarfer or priority so it can freely set up and look to just clean through. The only thing that stops it is Aggron, but that drops at +4 which Celebi can easily set up to as it can use Rhyperior, Sylveon, Slowbro, and potentially Amoonguss as a setup opportunity. Dazzling for Hydra. Moltres pressures Amoonguss and Mega Aggron for Celebi to have more freedom to sweep and it also invites in Rhyperior which you can U-turn out into Celebi to get a guarantee +2 on and prevent rocks going up (Unless your crazy enough to stay in).

Last edited:
1566988755887.png

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Salazzle (F) @ Poison Barb
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Nasty Plot

This Scizor set when boosted goads Aggron-Mega to come in and check it since Amoonguss is far too threatened by buginium Z. But this is just bait to sack or U-turn to ensure that Salazzle gets in on Aggron-Mega, which lacking earthquake, will always allow Salazzle to get one free Nasty Plot. After this it OHKOs the entire team and isn't outsped by anything due to the team's slow nature. Amoonguss (Give or take it having live spore, but even then it will shiver at the thought of taking a fire blast) and Sylveon also give Salazzle free setup if you can get it in on either of those. If Salazzle ever gets that free nasty plot, the team has already lost to it.

Last edited:
Lucario @ Steelium Z
Ability: Steadfast
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

Infernape pressures most of the team, especially since it is an unpredictable Pokemon. The only Pokemon that walls it is Slowbro, which it can use u-turn on to safely bring in Lucario (especially useful if Slowbro is pressured to rest or already asleep). This gives Lucario the opportunity to set up and sweep the whole team.

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Celebi itself tears apart this team, with its great coverage being able to hit this team without much issues. Nidoking would be formidable of an option as it can get some KOs behind a sub with excellent coverage moves, as this team doesn’t really have an answer to Nidoking can also freely come in in Sylveon or an aggressive play vs Aggron on rocks.

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Congrats Smallsmallrose for winning week 64 with rose (ha) For week 65 we have a team from Twilight !

:sm/moltres::sm/altaria-mega::sm/empoleon::sm/doublade::sm/krookodile::sm/terrakion:
Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Refresh
- Roost

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 76 Def / 152 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roar
- Toxic

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 16 HP / 232 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
I built this around Moltres + Mega Altaria. Moltres threatens the Steel-types for Malt and can punish stuff like Amoonguss for it. Empoleon provides Moltres with needed hazard removal support and checks stuff like Primarina. Doublade provided the team with a response to Terrakion and Mega Aerodactyl while being another pivot into Scizor and Latias. Krookodile provides the team with speed control and a needed Ground-type. Finally I needed a rocker so went with Terrakion. LO Terrakion helps ease the stall matchup and being a strong breaker in general.

Submissions end Thursday!

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Crunch

Scizor @ Metal Coat
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Stealing this core from Vivalospride, although I wouldn't be surprised if it has been used elsewhere. Have used it myself a lot and can attest to its viability outside this matchup.

In this matchup though, it's obvious just how devastating Crawdaunt is for this team. It freely clicks crunches and crabhammers like no tommorow, and has the potential to OHKO pre-mega Altaria with crunch. Once dead/chipped, nothing can feasibly switch in on a crabhammer, and with necessary chip can clean up with aqua jet. Scizor exists to give an even better Altaria matchup, provide a slow U-turn for crawdaunt in order to let it come in much more freely, and be a potential win condition with Doublade, Empoleon and Moltres chipped/dead. Simply put, once Altaria has fallen/taken chip, you immediately force your opponent to 'pick one' every time Crawdaunt comes out.

Last edited:

Mygrein

Banned deucer.
Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Zygarde 2hkos every mon here at worst, and the two mon that "wall" him get obliterated by the yung fishy fish, using zygarde aggresively vs this team will create holes in it leaving other mon to finish the job or itself to win.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Block / Iron Defense

Slowbro can 1v1 the whole team if you opt for iron defense... but that's not standard, so I chose block as the primary option. Mega Slowbro can trap Empoleon with block, which might stay in to toxic Slowbro. Rest removes toxic, and also recovers health. After blocking its victim, Slowbro can set up and sweep, as it doesn't take enough damage from other 'mons before they set up, and you'll easily 1-2HKO them all. Slowbro can also trap and set up on Krookodile, regardless of what it is locked into.

I slashed iron defense because it gives you many more setup opportunities, with only Moltres threatening Slowbro out before any cm boosts.
Letting you know you need a second member, and Empoleon has roar, so you can’t trap it with bro alone anyhow.

Letting you know you need a second member, and Empoleon has roar, so you can’t trap it with bro alone anyhow.
Oops, I forgot about roar lol... I'll just come up with a different core, because the only thing I can think of right now to help Slowbro break this team would be magneton to trap Empoleon, and I feel that such a "core" wouldn't synergize outside of specific matchups like this. I'll edit in a new core here later.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Explosion

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Azelf sets up screens so Feraligatr can have an easier time setting up. Taunt stops the opponent from defogging away screens, setting up hazards, and boosting stats. Explosion provides momentum, allowing Feraligatr to get in unharmed. Focus sash ensures that Azelf can live at least one hit. I went with earthquake on Feraligatr over crunch to OHKO Empoleon at +1; otherwise, it is a standard set. It OHKOs everything at +1 except for Doublade, which is 2HKOed and can't do much back with screens up.

Last edited:
Note: This is Adaam's core, so people don't roast me for stealing.

+

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Future Sight

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
This core is insane offensive pressure on steroids. The team has one Terrakion answer, and a well timed Banded Earthquake + Future Sight will leave it incapable to check Terrakion any further. Its also annoying to revenge Bandrak with Krookidile because Earthquake is doing nothing to Slowbro-Mega, and if you click Knock Off, you just boosted a banded Rak and sacked your speed control. Terrakion also handles Moltres and dents MAltaria severely for Slowbro, while Slowbro can Future Sight chip Doublade for Terrakion, as well as chip MAltaria with Ice Beam/Scald. Overall, this core exerts massive offensive pressure vs this team, and will cause the team to eventually fold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)