Boots in SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
genuinely curious about HDB.

Obviously, Boots are an unprecedented item that allows its user to outright ignore all hazards on the field. And from what I've read, it's quite controversial. Even the best players are not in consensus as to if they benefit or harm the metagame, as demonstrated here.

Gen 8 appears to be among the more competitive OU tiers, with bulky offense and balance being the premiere team styles. I know many of those mons are aided by boots to offset their weakness to rocks and immense hazard pressure, and this is a common argument made as to why Boots are balanced. To this point, however, I'm a little confused.

Even if boots help defensive/balance-centered mons, don't they help offense mons much more? E.g. Zapdos takes 25% w/o HDB, but it can roost it off or passively recover through lefties. Something like Weavile, on the other hand, isn't going to be able to passively heal it off (at least not as easily), and thus Boots are a much greater boon. In that sense, don't Boots make the metagame more volatile rather than less so?

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hello and welcome to smogon hoyesdomingo
You need a moderator’s approval to make a megathread. When you get a chance, take a look at the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread as it's usually the place to answer people's questions.
On another note, craing has made a thread in the Policy Review forums discussing the state of SS OU, and the topic of Heavy-Duty Boots was the main point of it.
Locking this thread, feel free to PM me or any other moderator would you have any question. Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)