Media Books

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Recently finished We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (1920-21) and Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol (1842). Both were recommended by a Russian colleague, both were excellent, both indicate to me that my colleague probably hates Russia, which is understandable. We is probably the best dystopian setting I've read.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I read Ralph Ellison’s “Invisible Man” right around the time of the George Floyd protests, and would highly recommend it to anyone at least vaguely interested in the subject matter.

The Handmaid’s Tale was a very interesting read and feels very strangely relevant to the current times. I do agree with what brightobject said in this thread last month regarding the appropriation of slave narratives, but despite that I still think it’s worth taking the time to read it.

Tom Perrotta’s “The Leftovers” is a much newer book that I found very thought-provoking, darkly funny, and a pretty interesting examination of how humans cope with grief. Would highly recommend this to anyone.

Similarly read a few more of the “usual” reads - To Kill A Mockingbird, 1984, The Catcher in The Rye, etc. which has been a nice experience, too.

Also have started getting into Russian lit just a bit lately. Yury Olesha’s “Envy” killed my soul, and Vladimir Nabokov’s “Lolita” was a remarkable reading experience, even if my friends judge me a bit for reading it at all.
I couldn't recommend Invisible Man more and I'm always dumbfounded when I see people say they hated it. It's just so incredibly vibrant and fantastical in spite of being completely grounded in real world issues that are still very relevant today.

There should be no judgement for reading Lolita, a book fundamentally about the power of the English language and how telling a story can warp perspectives and reality. Possibly the most beautifully well-written book I have ever read in spite of the gross subject matter.

Now I have to put you onto my favorite author, Dostoevsky. Crime and Punishment is his magnum opus and I highly recommend it, but Notes from Underground is a shorter read that has stayed in my brain for years.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Currently reading:
Chaos: Making a New Science - James Gleick:
The Man Who Solved the Market - Gregory Zuckerman:

The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham

Looking for good books in Maths, Finance, Economics and Philosophy. PM me recommendations please.

Tory

Banned deucer.
Currently reading:

Looking for good books in Maths, Finance, Economics and Philosophy. PM me recommendations please.
These are the types of books I need. I am already creating articles for stock market, investor, mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, individual retirement accounts, and of course, 401(k) plans. I started joining the financial business niche for almost 12 months now. Best decision I have made in my life.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Try these out:
- Black Hole Blues and Other Songs from Outer Space by Janna Levin (2017), on the detection of gravity waves at LIGO
- Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter (1979), philosophy of consciousness
- The Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixin Liu, not really academic, but the series is a very real philosophical journey
- How Not to be Wrong: the Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg (2014)
- Bronshtein and Semendyayev by Ilya Nikolaevich Bronshtein and Konstantin Adolfovic Semendyayev (1986), a compilation of math and formula tables, really useful for learning math
- Abramowitz and Stegun by Milton Abramowitz and Irene Stegun (1964), similar to the above
- Mathematics: It's Contents, Methods and Meaning by A.D. Aleksandrov, A.N. Kolmogorov, M.A. Lavrent'ev (1962), similiar to the above but with a lot of history interweaved in it. One of the coolest books I've ever read.
- Mathematical Omnibus by Dmitry Fuchs (2007), a series of essays and lectures on maths
- Number Theory and its History (1948) by Øystein Ore
- Number, the language of science: A critical survey written for the cultured non-mathematician by Tobias Dantzig (1954)

For economics*, here is a small selection that I love:
- The Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, And the Radical Remaking of Economics by Eric D. Beinhocker (2006)
- The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some Are So Rich and Some So Poor by David S. Landes (1998)
- Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty by Daron Acemoğlu, James A. Robinson (2012)
- How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes by Peter D. Schiff, Andrew J. Schiff (2010)
- The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World by Niall Ferguson (2008)
- Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier by Edward Glaeser (2011)
- The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World by Alan Greenspan (2007)
I'm an economist by vocation these days, so if you would like more on that subject, feel free to message me. :blobthumbsup:

*Try and avoid pop-economic style books as they are almost always filled very little substance and more empty-calorie hot takes.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Station Eleven is very good but it lost some of its luster for me when I re-read it; that might just have been because of my temperment when reading it for the second time though. Definitely one of the better "apocalypse" books I've read though.

Speaking of good post-apocalyptic books, I strongly recommend The Girl With All The Gifts and its prequel The Boy On The Bridge by M. R. Carey. (Read the prequel second.) I don't tend to read/watch zombie stories, but I picked the former up on a whim when browsing the Sci-Fi section of my local Waterstones and I found it totally gripping--I read the first around 9 months ago and the prequel in May-ish of this year and finished both in the space of a day or two because I just couldn't put them down. I really love the setting and the central explanation behind the zombie pandemic, the pacing throughout both is impeccable, and its written in a way that is just so efficient, appealing, and easy to parse. The way that the subject matter was approached was also just so interesting and was something that I had never really realised I wanted until I'd read it. Can't recommend them enough.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you're a fan of the Avatar series (which is experiencing a cool fandom renaissance thanks to both shows now being on Netflix) I recommend the two prequel novels Rise of Kyoshi and Shadow of Kyoshi which came out summer 2019 and summer 2020 respectively. I made GatoDelFuego read it and even he likes it (and that guy usually hates everything good).

The main premise is that the wrong Avatar was chosen, which is a bold conceit since we obviously know Kyoshi will be the true Avatar. I expected this to be just the beginning of the story and maybe just played for humorous effect when Kyoshi exposes the poser. But we get a lot of time to care for and like the "fake Avatar" and the status quo, and the implications of everyone's world being flipped upside down by the reveal has such a ripple effect that it really stays the main driving force of both novels. It's very much a journey-over-destination story, which is key to making a prequel stay engaging. There were a lot of times reading this that I thought "that is a bad plot point, I can't believe it's going to go this way" only for that to end being being repurposed as set-up to the real plot point. It stays relatively unpredictable.

It expands a lot on the lore of the world in ways that seem very...natural, for lack of a better word. It's a prequel, so it can't introduce new forms of bending or technology anything that doesn't exist in the shows, but it does explain a lot of things that had to exist, but were never elaborated on. In The Last Airbender we see how the Air Nomads discover who the Avatar is, but here, we get to see what methods the other nations use. We also get to see a world where the Air Nomads are all still around and the Fire Nation is not the bad guys, and how all of the other nations see each other's cultures and try to keep balance. It explains things that don't necessarily need explaining but are nice anyway, like why Kyoshi wears the makeup, why she uses fans as a weapon, and how she managed to live so long.

Women in the North Pole still aren't allowed to learn to waterbending to fight at this point, and I think the story handles the whole "modern values vs. accurate period piece" (even if it is a fictional universe) incongruity well. This is about 300-400 years before The Last Airbender, and I liked that they didn't suggest that tradition was a relatively newer one. There's one waterbender who is considered to be just the best doctor in the world and the most we get on it is "any idiot can hit someone with water, the real skill is healing." They never attempt to make her into a fighter or suggest she needs to be. The women from the South Pole can still use waterbending to fight anyway (they're still around, since the Fire Nation didn't go to war and capture them all yet!), so it's not as much of a restriction on the storytelling.

Just personally, what I like the most is that it salvages the "worst Avatar episode" (I never disliked it personally), The Great Divide. In that episode, it's claimed the Gan Jin and Zhang tribes hate each other because of an incident that happened 100 years before TLA. Three versions of the story are told; we know Aang's is a lie, but we don't know which, if any, of the other two is true. A lot of people hate that episode because Aang lies to resolve a conflict and that was seen as somewhat out of character.

Here, centuries before that incident supposedly occurred, it's shown the Gan Jins and the Zhangs already hate each other. So it becomes a lot easier to believe that NEITHER of the stories are true and it was just some shit that they made up to justify a petty conflict that was just always there. That every few generations some story just pops up to explain why they've always hated each other. That seemed really realistic to me.

On a final note, the story gets to be a little bit more mature since it's not a kid's TV show. A lot of kids grew up wondering why benders never used certain moves that would be instant-kill attacks; we did get a little of that in Legend of Korra, like airbending the air out of someone's lungs, but a lot more of those are finally shown here. Things like stabbing people with spikes made of rock or ice, shooting small rocks like bullets, freezing someone's lungs, etc. Sex is implied but not depicted, and illegitimate children and mistresses become a major plot point in book 2. It never tries to be edgy with the mature content, everything serves the storytelling. It doesn't reach the level of Game of Thrones or anything; the closest equivalent I would say is something like a Star Wars or Bionicle.

Anyway, I highly recommend if you are a fan of this franchise. It's a good story and it fleshes out its world a lot.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All I can say is to read it. It's extremely engrossing and treats the universe with much more respect than TLA's comics ever did.

On a side note it's nice to have another book series to stan, the last book I read was in 2013 or something extremely far back

I'm almost done reading The Master and Margarita. I can't pinpoint why but I found it fascinating. Next on the list is "Sweet Hereafter" by Banana Yoshimoto.

I'm also reading "Mind-Made Prison" by Mateo Tabatai and it's also quite good if you're into a more spiritual type of reading. It's a good read after Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" which I recommend to everyone.

I personally have not read any books for a while! I get fatigued when having to hold a book or tablet so all reading I do are news articles

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Currently reading:

some recommendations I think you'll like. Market Wizards and Hedge Funds Market Wizards. I'm not a book person but both these had me hooked and could not put them down. I've already pre-ordered Jack Schwager's new book which is the same format but with newer traders. If you are just getting started on investing then A Random Walk down Wall Street is a better introduction, the book makes the case for dollar-cost averaging and goes through an interesting history of market bubbles. Where as Market wizards is a about a variety of trades who often take on much more risk than what is advised for the everyday investor, but super interesting to read about their success stories.
If you are thinking about a career in trading or risk management then Option Volatility and Pricing will teach you a ton. Its the only book I keep on my desk and reference it fairly often

I'm re-reading Things Fall Apart for like the 4th time because I am too lazy to try something new. But would be interested in some similar suggestions, I've also read Segu a couple times which has very similar themes, I liked it just as much.

Last edited:

Raining Inside

Banned deucer.
In the last few weeks I've read a couple of books, "Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury which really was whimsical and pure, "Come viaggiare con un salmone" by Umberto Eco, a book that felt tailor made for me what with his satirical masterpieces (unfortunately this may be reserved to italian readers as i was not able to find a translated copy in the brief online search i conducted) and "No longer human" by Osamu Dazai, a mind trip insight to the life of the author with impressive yet somehow light writing.
Currently trying to once more work through "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstader, hope i make it out sane ._.

[would appreciate a few reccomendations on good books revolving around asian, religion, be it buddhism or shintoism, thanks a lot]

I've been reading a shitload of Sci-Fi lately. I just recently got into the WH40K franchise and have been loving the books I have picked up. Even went on youtube to binge lore videos to hopefully fill in the lore gaps and go get a much better understanding of the series.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Market Wizards
I already own it and will start soon.
A Random Walk down Wall Street
Option Volatility and Pricing
I'm studying financial maths as a masters, so not sure if I wanna purchase these since I'll be learning about all this stuff anyway.

Finished this one and it was super interesting. Definitely recommend it to anyone interested in pure maths, finance or both.

I have also just finished Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt by Michael Lewis, the writer of The Big Short and Moneyball. It follows the creation of the IEX, a stock exchange created to counter high-frequency traders who use access to fast technology to trick investors into paying more/selling for less for stocks. While that sounds incredibly boring to anyone without an interest in finance (and tbh it probably is), it's written in such a way that makes it easy to follow and entertaining.

Last edited:

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I already own it and will start soon.

I'm studying financial maths as a masters, so not sure if I wanna purchase these since I'll be learning about all this stuff anyway. As a maths guy myself, I loved reading about a bunch of maths professors, beating and revolutionising the markets.

Finished this one and it was super interesting. Definitely recommend it to anyone interested in pure maths, finance or both.

I have also just finished Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt by Michael Lewis, the writer of The Big Short and Moneyball. It follows the creation of the IEX, a stock exchange created to counter high-frequency traders who use access to fast technology to trick investors into paying more/selling for less for stocks. While that sounds incredibly boring to anyone without an interest in finance (and tbh it probably is), it's written in such a way that makes it easy to follow and entertaining.
If you like these I highly recommend Business Secrets of The Pharaohs by Mark Corrigan.

would appreciate a few reccomendations on good books revolving around asian, religion, be it buddhism or shintoism, thanks a lot
Raining Inside here are some books about Buddhism that have been recommended to me by friends who are into spiritualism / Buddhism.

- Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
- What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula
- Mindfulness in plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (more of a novel but still relevant)
- Buddhism Plain & Simple by Steve Hagen
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values and Lila: An Inquiry into Morals by Robert M. Pirsig
- The Way of Zen by Alan Watts
- Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn

Akai

'Cause I'm only a crack in this castle of glass
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
You should be able to find a pdf of are prisons obsolete somewhere online if you’re interested
For those of you who are lazy to google it here is the link .

Now I need a book suggestion! Since my youngest age I don't read that much but sometimes I took a book and read all the night long. I want to re-discover this feeling when you turn a page and something big is coming also I need to take a from my pc and my phone since it's my only distraction for while now.

Here what I read in the past:
- Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance
- Cherub (all tomes)
- Angle & Demons
- Financial books, Thriller.
- Level 21

So based on this list I like Fantastic, Thriller books if you have any suggestions feel free ! thanks in advance !

For those of you who are lazy to google it here is the link .

Now I need a book suggestion! Since my youngest age I don't read that much but sometimes I took a book and read all the night long. I want to re-discover this feeling when you turn a page and something big is coming also I need to take a from my pc and my phone since it's my only distraction for while now.

Here what I read in the past:
- Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance
- Cherub (all tomes)
- Angle & Demons
- Financial books, Thriller.
- Level 21

So based on this list I like Fantastic, Thriller books if you have any suggestions feel free ! thanks in advance !
On the fantasy side of things, I'd recommend any of brandon sanderson's novels. Personally I'm fond of the Mistborn trilogy but the stormlight archives are also fantastic.

Haven't read too many thrillers myself, but Gone Girl and The Devotion of Suspect X had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Something pretty dope that I finished recently was "Gender and Our Brains: How New Neuroscience Explodes the Myths of the Male and Female Minds" by Gina Rippon.

It explores, in addition to many other topics: gender differentials in self-esteem, stereotypes that "wOmEn ArE tOo EmOtIoNaL fOr PoSiTiOnS oF pOwEr", and the benefits of not enforcing masculine or feminine traits on young children. As a pretty "bro-y" dude and somebody who was definitely ignorant of these sort of concepts growing up, this is a fascinating read and the arguments/policy recommendations presented in this book would greatly benefit society as a whole if they were implemented and better understood.
:blobthumbsup:
Gender and Our Brains by Gina Rippon: 9780525435372 |  PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

The last 3 books I read:

- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

This book was at the same time incredibly interesting and very much dull and incoherent. There are too many things that make very little sense, especially the ending, and the whole initial phone call + the fact that the protagonist's wife is stuck in a hotel room. I'm ok with magic and spiritual powers (for example I loved "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov), but at least attempt to explain them.

The book still manages to be interesting to read, mostly because the side characters are extremely cool and well fleshed out, but the combination of apathetic main character + random resolution of the whole situation (is it even solved?) + a lot of things left unexplained were annoying. I can "fill in the blanks" with my mind up to a point, but there's so much stuff missing that I might as well written a book myself.

- The Perfume by Patrick Suskind

This book is excellent. I'd go as far as saying that it is a masterpiece. It describes perfectly the descent to madness by Grenouille, the main character. The descriptions are very evocative, and I love how the author managed to recreate the whole feeling of how cities and humans work and interact through odors. I recommend this book to everyone, it's a great read.

- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

This book is quite famous so I'm not going to spend many words on it, but please go read it if you haven't yet. The part where Guy reads a poem to his wife and her friends and one has a meltdown touched me deeply, as did his slow realization that literature is amazing and is something we should keep, not destroy. Also the author managed to create the most disgusting and revolting character ever in Guy's wife, Mildred.

Currently, I'm reading "An Artist of the Floating World" by Kazuo Ishiguro. The book is spectacularly mediocre, I'm about 60% through it and I found it very boring so far, and I doubt there's a way for it to salvage itself in my eyes, but who knows, perhaps I'm in for a surprise. I hope so.

I've been doing some pre-reading for a bunch of my courses which start after Christmas and this seems like a decent place to share my thoughts on the off-chance that anyone is interested.

- Circe, by Madeline Miller

This is, at its core, a feminist take on the age-old Greek myth of Circe. With the last feminist novel I had read being 'The Handmaid's Tale', a book which is easily both the most infuriating and lacklustre work I've ever had the displeasure of reading, my expectations were not high by any means but I found myself pleasantly surprised. To me, this book is a shining example of brilliance within a genre which is particularly hard to do well, with Circe being presented as a force to be reckoned with and a female character with genuine depth, something which a plethora of famous English novels are lacking (e.g Frankenstein). While plenty of other feminist novels produce narrators who are so condescending, unreliable or self-victimizing that the book itself becomes a chore, Madeline Miller has produced a powerful female voice who actively fights against those who desire to oppress her instead of wallowing in self-pity. This was a thoroughly revitalising read in a genre which I had vastly lost hope in over recent years, and I'd encourage anyone interested in 1) feminist novels or 2) greek myth (@ percy jackson readers) to take a look at this. Touches upon Circe's place within the famous myths of the Minotaur, Scylla, Odysseus and many more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)