Media Books

Well, my roommate got an iPad, which means I can go back to browsing the Kindle at my leisure. So now I have a ton of public domain classics available to read. And I'm thinking I might review books here after I've read them.

So I reread Illuminae (first book of The Illuminae Files trilogy) recently and I am still in love with the way they styled the book. It's an absolute beauty to pick up and flip through because of the way they styled each page. The story is also fun to read, but the presentation is what truly catches the eye.

Next on my list: Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom. I've heard amazing things about these books and definitely have to read them when I get my hands on them.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
read pachinko - these kind of following person(s) throughout their lifetimes stories are always my jam, and this one was dope as well. kind of a limp ending, but oh well.

read clockwork orange by burgess. despite all the hype...im not sure i feel like i feel the book is all that compelling. as burgess himself said in his "resucked" foreword, it's pretty didactic as well as incredibly cruel and sadistic. The British ending is what gives the book meaning beyond being a cynical gorefest (admittedly, an EXTREMELY good one) but it's also extremely limp-dick. The linguistic tricks Burgess pulls are intriguing at first but I'm not certain if they do much more than hide the lack of a substantive story. To be clear. It's entertaining. It's appalling. It's thrilling. but idk if it's really a masterpiece that deals with human questions with any real nuance (which is how I hear ppl talk about it)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
getting my hands on The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born by Ayi Kwei Armah

HP Lovecraft is some fucking hilarious shit. Like seriously, I get that grave robbing, and crypt exploring at night and shit is spooky. But these characters' reactions are just too much.

Give him a go sometime if you're ever looking for a giggle.

Hello!

I have a fews books that I wanted to share with you.

Goosebumps :

I started to read the Goosebumps serie by R. L Stine as a kid, loved the atsmosphere and I remember hunting the books on garage sales.
My brother read it too.

Die unendliche Geschichte ( The Endless Story ? ) / L'histoire sans fin ( french title ) :

This books was the biggest books I had in my hands back then (15 years ago maybe) , beautiful story.

H.P Lovecraft :

Started the audio books of H.P Lovecraft one year ago, I love to imagine myself at the main character protagonist, Love the creepy atmosphere. I have a playlist full of his books.
My Top 3 of his books :

The Shadow over Innsmouth

Loved the story from the beginning to the end, the end is so scary and intense that I was scared for the main character.

At the Mountains of Madness

Loved the story and I listenned it with a relaxing music wich was perfect.

The Call of Cthulhu

A classic

That's all I can think of for now.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Haven't read much fiction recently, but I have read the following books in the last two months:

Timothy Mitchell, Carbon Democracy: Political Power in the Age of Oil (2011)

Ellen Meloy, The Anthropology of Turquoise: Reflections on Desert, Sea, Stone, and Sky (2003)

Both are absolutely excellent, would highly recommend.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
In the last few months I've read:

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Perfume - Patrick Suskind
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson
The Edible Woman - Margaret Atwood
The Testaments - Margaret Atwood
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

I can sincerely recommend all of these apart from Brave New World.

I read the Ender’s Game series, by Orson scott Card. And the prequels, sequels, etc.

Yeah that’s it. Screw this I want this post to be deleted.

But since this post is most likely not going to be deleted because I actually said something, I must as well explain why I like the series.

First off, the series deals with the things I like: War, spacecraft and aliens. Yay.
But it’s not just that. The war is portrayed brilliantly, showing the defeats of humanity and actually putting humans up against a superior species, a very rare find.
Then there’s the commanders, who are stupid, cowardly, stuck-up, etc, the sort you would actually find in the real-life military.
Spacecraft are explained in detail, and made so believable you could expect them to turn up when humanity really does reach for the stars.
The Formics (the alien species) are unlike most ‘aliens’: that is, humanoid. In fact, they are more like ants, but bipedal and furry. A welcome change from little green men.
And you have lots of other details too, which I’ll add in as I reread the series.
It’s a great book, and I never tire of reading it. If there are any faults, I haven’t found them.
Any more questions?

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you don't mind some recommendations, if you liked the Ender's Game series, you'd probably enjoy Lois Lowry's The Giver, or The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss (it's more fantasy though). The Insignia trilogy by S.J Kincaid is also a pretty well-known series that is perfect for Ender's Game fans.

No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July is a collection of short stories I finished up on vacation. The people within each story help paint a heartwarming, familiar view of the human condition but also show the terrifying nuances that make us just that -- human. Our weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Definitely some damaged people in this collection but I could identify a bit or at least identify some people I know like this. A lot of July's work is more cheery than this but it's dark/sad humor and I really enjoyed it.

"Confessions" by Kanae Minato is one of the most sinister, scary, and paralyzing books I've ever read. Definitely would check it out if you're looking for something new (the english translation is excellent as far as I'm aware)

Shufflebotham Singh LLP

Banned deucer.
I've recently been re-reading Samuel Pepys' diary. Lovely stuff. I love how literature has the capacity to broaden your world view.

I've been looking for some interesting new non-fiction material, which is perhaps relevant to the challenges of the modern day. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I finished up permanent record last week and it's an enjoyable read for the privacy minded folks. The first half is pretty bland cause it's about Snowden's early life before you get to the good stuff. I'd recommend it to the older folks on this forum (21+). I don't think younger audiences will enjoy it as much or take many things away from it. Either way it's an easy read and I couldn't put it down once I hit the second half.

Reactions: Ivy

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
have read 100 books this year. here are some i've enjoyed (check em out, i promise they're good!):

prose:
fantasian by larissa pham
my dark vanessa by kate elizabeth russell
the seas by samantha hunt
green girl by kate zambreno (her books 'heroine' and 'o fallen angel' are also incredible)
swallow the fish by gabrielle civil
the red parts by maggie nelson
paradise rot by jenny hval
salt fat acid heat by samin nosrat (fingers crossed 2020 is the year i actually cook a meal !!!)
mcglue by ottessa moshfegh
the antipodes by annie baker (it's a play but w/e still excellent)

poetry:
irl by tommy pico
incorrect merciful impulses by camille rankine
cruel fiction by wendy trevino
r e d by chase berggrun
averno by louise glück
i can't talk about the trees without the blood by tiana clark
i've been a woman: new and selected poems by sonia sanchez
build yourself a boat by camonghne felix
ghost of by diana khoi nguyen
feeld by jos charles

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I just finished The Magicians, would highly recommend. It's a fantasy novel targeted at adults and the author does a fantastic job of character development and worldbuilding. RR Martin also gave it some pretty high praise (which is how it caught my eye in the first place):
The Magicians is to Harry Potter as a shot of Irish whiskey is to a glass of weak tea. … Grossman’s sensibilities are thoroughly adult, his narrative dark and dangerous and full of twists. Hogwarts was never like this.
Planning to tackle the rest of the trilogy over this break.

Ah, one book series for all those fantasy-lovers and "Harry Potter" fans I *MUST* recommend is the `Spooks` series written by Joseph Delaney. Having read many other fantasy books, in my opinion this by far outshines the rest. I wouldn't like to reveal too much at once, but if you're into demons, witches and spirits, this is the book you'd like to get. I'd say this isn't for a younger audience, even though that most would assume so, but the story AMAZING and probably hard for those under 12 to understand. But I'm 15 so... just take a look!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)