Move Belch

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING NEWS:

Belch can be used after you switch out; thats right, you can use Belch after you consumed a berry, and switched out with a different Pokemon, and come back.

Also, Belch Gulpin W/ Wish Swirlix are very great partners in Gen VI LC justwantedtotelleveryone.
That's an improvement.
Other candidate berries that won't necessary leave your HP low include Sitrus, Lum, Chesto, and the attack-type damage reduction berries like Shuca.
ChestoResting with Belch could work now that we know that berry consumption enables the move for the rest of the match.
But the fact that the pokemon is forced to carry a particular item and only mediocre Pokemon get it makes it a pretty bad move still.
Of all the Pokemon known to get Belch Seviper has the highest SpA but its Specs Sludge Wave out-damages unboosted Belch.
So unless it plans to eat a Petaya berry and stay in (and its low speed hinders it) it's better off using a more reliable move.
The more defensive Poison Pokemon that get Belch will miss Black Sludge/Leftovers unless they run Rest which has its own issues.
So Belch will likely vanish into the realm of gimmick moves that everybody forgets after a while.

In Singles I can see the move being gimmicky however in Doubles which is the format VGC uses and Triples then whats to stop another Pokemon flingings it's berry into the Belch users mouth. Especially if the pokemon gains some benefit from losing its berry to do so.
Thats my thoughts anyway.

What about a chesto-rest stockpile set for some belch user?

Maybeee Garbodor or Swalot with Stock Pile, Rest, Belch, annnnd something? Swalot learns surf...

Would be better on a Calm Mind set but no pokemon learns Calm Mind and Belch.

Kind of grasping for straws here though...

I can't stop laughing at how silly this attack is.

Anyway, it seems like a very niche move. Swallot I think is the best user, and as has been mentioned before, a chesto-rest set could work well in tandem with Gluttony and a boosting move and coverage move, like Surf.

You are now aware that Snorlax gets Belly Drum + Gluttony + Belch. I can't wait for the gimmick sets to come rolling in.
EDIT: Yes I know. Hence "gimmick". Sorry if I implied "successful gimmick", I didn't intend to.

Actually, quite a lot of Belch users can have Gluttony. Swalot, Victreebel, Snorlax and Heatmor are confirmed so far. Pity none of those are exactly good. Though I'd be interested to see a Victreebelch set in the sun.

Last edited:
You are now aware that Snorlax gets Belly Drum + Gluttony + Belch. I can't wait for the gimmick sets to come rolling in.

Actually, quite a lot of Belch users can have Gluttony. Swalot, Victreebel, Snorlax and Heatmor are confirmed so far. Pity none of those are exactly good. Though I'd be interested to see a Victreebelch set in the sun.
Why belly drum on that set? It boosts attack for(assuming you are using sitrus) 25% of you HP and Belch is special.
A chestorest on Swalot would actually function and get stab.
And snorlax is very good. It's sadly just been outclassed by Goodra IMO

VictreeBelch w/ Lum Berry
Leaf Blade
Weather Ball
Growth
Belch

This move was made for that poison type with Unburden, CM and Chesto Rest! Yes, Drifblim!

Oh wait, someone told me that the problem is that ballons can't burp. Oh, so THAT's the problem...

Ummm you are aware that belch is a special and belly drum increases the atk stat......and snorlax is also quite slow

The only pokemon I could see using this move succesfully would be Swalot:

Max HP and SpA; HP and Def; HP and SpD; or HP and mixed defences.

- Blech
- HP Fire/Fight/Ground
- Stockpile
- Rest

He needs a Fire, Fight or Ground move to be able to damage steels. HP Ground can be walled by Skarmory and Levitate/Air Balloon Steels; Fight can be stalled by Aegislash and Fire can be stalled by Heatran. Fire is probably the best HP to go but, obviously, it will completely depend on the rest of your team.

Oh man.. can snorlax learn this? I'm Laughing at the Mental images of this attack.

Has anyone tried this out with a gimmiky doubles? Like with florges ability to give items? or Bestow?

Have partner endure/survive an attack bring it down to red hp or something.. pass speed boosting berry to injured partner.. partner(with Spatt+/IV/252 EV) eats berry then Belches to victory?

If Renunculis is able to learn this after a few calm minds and after eating a sitrus berry in trick room conditions....

Last edited:
Pokemon: Swalot
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EV: HP 252 / 126 def Def /130 sDef (I didn't check for breakpoints, maybe there is a better split)

Item: Lum Berry

-Infestation
-Belch
-Rest
-Sleeptalk

This set allows trapping (and stalling) quite some NU, but also some Ru Pokemon.
The damage from Belch is a gift which allows him to deal solid damage without further EV investment.

The only pokemon I could see using this move succesfully would be Swalot:

Max HP and SpA; HP and Def; HP and SpD; or HP and mixed defences.

- Belch
- Surf
- Stockpile
- Rest

He needs a Fire, Fight or Ground move to be able to damage steels. HP Ground can be walled by Skarmory and Levitate/Air Balloon Steels; Fight can be stalled by Aegislash and Fire can be stalled by Heatran. Fire is probably the best HP to go but, obviously, it will completely depend on the rest of your team.
Um, Surf was mentioned and hits all of those, just saying. But yeah, this is looking like the best Belch and dare I say even Swalot set at the moment. Interesting.

I also like that Toxicroak set in the OP, but I think Croak probably needs Substitute or something to activate his Salac berry safely.

Victreebel might also be able to pull it off, but honestly, I don't really see anyone else using this move particularly effectively. Things like Heatmoor want better coverage than Poison offers even with Fairies running around, so the things that can make use of it are essentially limited to whatever Poison-types get it, IMO.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What about a chesto-rest stockpile set for some belch user?

Maybeee Garbodor or Swalot with Stock Pile, Rest, Belch, annnnd something? Swalot learns surf...

Would be better on a Calm Mind set but no pokemon learns Calm Mind and Belch.

Kind of grasping for straws here though...
Very old post but according to Serebii, the Slowpoke line gets it.

Slowpoke family, Toxicroak, and Magmortar are the only decent Pokemon on the special end to get this. Slowpokes also get autoheal and NP but they're too slow and too defensive to take advantage of Belch properly (not that they need it). Magmortar would be loathe to give up Life Orb for one move, though I would run this over Focus Miss on the odd chance that you run Shuca Berry or something. NP Toxicroak is frail but between STAB and boosts, it could work on a gimmicky special set.

I thought of something, but I'm not sure if this could work out or not...

Toxicroak w/ Dry Skin
Relaxed. 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 ATK
Item: Sitrus Berry
Toxic
Protect
Belch
Drain Punch

Works best in rain stall teams, and can serve as a decent physical wall, as Toxicroak has decent defensive typing. I'm sad that rain teams got super nerfed though, but I don't know... Could this work?

Well, Magmortar anybody?

Magmortar @ Sitrus Berry
Nature: Timid
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 Defense
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Belch
- Thunderbolt

Idek, it has a small gimmick.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Can you use Belch if your opponent uses Bug Bite/Pluck on you and eats your berry? If not, it'd be hilarious to see Scizor do it.

"I eat your berry! I eat it up!"
Doubt it. It says the USER must eat a berry. However, I can confirm Belch working after using Bug Bite/Pluck on an enemy holding a berry.

Also, Scizor's kind of a bad example to use in your scenario.

So, I tested out Belch on PS. The problem with it... it's a waste of a set. If your opponent knows you have Belch, they can simply switch into a Steel-type to absorb it. It's also a huge pain to even pull off. Not only do you have to take damage to eat the berry, but afterwards, you can easily get finished off by a fast attack (Gluttony helps, but the Pokemon that get both Gluttony and Belch... are either not that good, or have a better set and ability to choose from).
It's a shame. It looks like a really interesting move (I wish Gardevoir could learn it, it would be hilarious).

I haven't tried Belch in LC though. It's probably a much more viable strategy.

Last edited:
To clarify, Belch is a one-time attack? Or they can only use it on the time they switched in? Like Last Resort, they have to consume a berry every time they come in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)