SM OU Beginner Having a Hard Time with Team Building, How Can I Improve?

So, first thing's first, I don't really know what I'm doing for the most part. I've been struggling to make a team that I enjoy playing, let alone a team that I've had any success with. This is the first team that I've managed to make that I enjoy actually using, but even still I'm struggling quite a bit with it. I'm not sure where I've gone wrong, either via team building, by my lack of experience battleing, etc. I'm kinda in desperate straights, and, only now realizing that there is a forum here dedicated to helping with team building, I figured that I'd show you guys what I have, and ask for any and all advice for improvement.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack

So, one thing I knew that I wanted to use was Mega Lopunny. It hits fast, hits hard, and it's something that I happen to have used in game as well. It's simply something familiar to me, so I hoped that it would be a good starting place to build. Granted, the moveset, IVs, and EVs were optimized according to the website, since I'm assuming that this website has a better grasp on how pokemon should be built. Return and Hi Jump Kick are just hard hitting attacks, Fake Out to get free chip, and although I had originally used Ice Punch as recommended, I changed that to Quick Attack, mostly because of a game where I really struggled to deal with Mega Alakazam, so I figured that it would at least give me a hand in hipping it down.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Weavile was another pokemon that I knew that I wanted to use. One thing that I realized while playing in battles is that I really enjoy the Pokemon that can trap opponents in, as it eases my mind of predictions, which i somehow never seem to get right. Weavile happens to do this pretty well, from my experience. It was also listed to be a good teammate for Lopunny due to it's access to knock off, effectively luring and removing Black Sludge from Toxapex, which definately goes a long way, since that thing is really hard to kill sometimes. This was, much like the rest of the sets here, optimized according to this website. Icicle Crash is used to hit things hard, Knock Off is utility item removal, Ice Shard is for that good ol' chip damage or for hitting a faster, weaken threat, and Pursuit is to make sure nothing with very little HP switches out alive.

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ten, I added Magnezone. Again, it's ability to trap Pokemon is something that I value, much like Weavile, because I almost never guess switches correctly, and with Magnet Pull, I don't necessarily need to worry as much. Plus, removing Steel-Types is really helpful for this team, as a good number of my offensive threats really struggle killing them. I went with the first set listed on the website, mostly because one of the two aforementioned pokemon mentioned that it valued Electrium-Z Magnezone in partucular for bullying Mega Mawile. I use Sub when I trap a more passive Steel-Type that I feel little threat from, and the rest of the set is straight forward, Thunderbolt is hard hitting and activates the Z-Move, Flash Cannon is another generally hard hitting move, and Hidden Power Fire is for more Steel-Type abuse.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

On Mega Lopunny's bio on this website, it mentions that it enjoys pokemon that it enjoys pokemon that more defencive teams struggle to deal with, Swords Dance Tapu Bulu being one of them. So, I fugured it was a worthwhile pick up. This was the Swords Dance set on Tapu Bulu's bio here, so I just sort of went with it. Swords Dance really punches holes in pokemon, and when combined with Horn Leech, Synthesis, and Grassy Terrain, it becomes really hard to chip down. Superpower is also used for another hard hitting attack to break through pokemon that need a fighting type attack, simple enough.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

These last two pokemon stem from the same idea, as once again, under Mega Lopunny's bio, it mentions that it appreciates some bulkier teammates who can also attack and switch out with moves like U-Turn and Volt Switch. It mentioned Landorus Therian, but I went with Gliscor instead, since it's something I'm a bit more familiar with, plus it has access to good sustain and denying status on my other pokemon. This was the Stealth Rock set, since I knew that I needed at least some kind of passive damage to punish my opponent from switching around. Earthquake is to actually be able to attakc and stay in, Roost is for more health regeneration, and although the set recommends Toxic, I switched it with U-Turn to achieve the initial idea as to what was suggested under Mega Lopunny's bio.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Iron Head

Finally, it also listed AV Magearna, which I assume meant the Assault Vest, though I could be wrong about this. It's simply another switching attacker kind of pokemon that can sponge up special attacks really nicely, and also pairs up well with Gliscor defensively as well. Volt Switch is to not passively switch out, Fleur Cannon and Focus Blast are hard hitting attacks, and at first I was confused as to why someone would run Iron Head over Flash Cannon, but apparently it's for Calm Mind users, specifically Calm Mind Clefable? I mean, ok. I'm not going to doubt this website, if it's what it recommends, then sure. Why not? It probably knows a heck of a lot more than I do.

So, yea. That's where I'm at currently. It wouldn't surprise me if you looked at this team with total disgust as to how awful it is, mostly because, again, I don't know what I'm doing. I know that I'm not very good, I still got a long way to go... probably a REALLY long way to go, but I hope that I'm at least taking a proper step in trying to improve, and maybe do something a little bit different or unique. Anything that you can offer for feedback would mean a lot, since, again, I'm assuming that this team is probably making those who see it cringe. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and going out of the way to help me out.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)