Project BDSP OU How To Lure (Week Seven: Alakazam)

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Approved by 5ean
How To Lure

There are a good bit of centralizing Pokémon in BDSP OU at the moment, and most of them seem to come up quite frequently. This is the project for taking down a variety of prominent meta forces such as Latios, Gliscor and Scizor in unexpected ways. A lure is defined as any Pokémon that manages to draw out (or "lure") and eliminate an opponent's Pokémon which serves as a potential roadblock to the sweeper of your choice. (Concept of Lures). In other words, it's a mon that has an out of the blue set that's main purpose is to beat a threat of your choice.

The Process:
  • Every week, one Pokémon will be picked from the BDSP OU VR to be the Pokémon to lure. (Each week will last from Monday to Thursday)
  • You would post a Pokémon that you think will be a good lure for the Pokémon chosen. The post must have: A set, a description (how is it a lure?), and calcs if needed. A sprite is advised (sprite example - :ss /victini: with no space in the middle)
  • Next is the voting stage. Here you will vote for the lure you think is best against the chosen Pokémon. This stage will last from Friday to Sunday.
  • After the winner is decided, both the winner lure and threat will be archived.
Rules:
  • Only viable Pokémon must be submitted. You can see the list of viable Pokémon from the BDSP OU VR.
  • Lures may be reserved, but there is a (new!) 24 hour time limit on how long you can reserve the Pokémon. After 24 hours, the reservation will be removed.
  • You may pick the same Pokémon as someone else, but it has to be a different set.
:ss/latios:
Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

:ss/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop

Specs latios typically stays in on garchomp due to its speed tier, giving it a free draco or any other form of massive damage. Scarf garchomp here, would be able to win a 1v1 against a latios that's anything but scarf. One thing to keep in mind though, is that people would be skeptical of a garchomp coming in to revenge kill a Latios, so this garchomp is better to play as a lead Pokémon (This explanation isn't too long because of how simple the lure is, but if it's something complicated, you will probably need more explaining than this).
Weeks and Threats
Winners and Sets
Week One: Scizor
Yonitet's alakazam and Lalaya's clefable
Week Two: Gliscor
Yonitet's skarmory and Lalaya's heatran
Week Three: Tyranitar
Yonitet's Cresselia, Lalaya's Blissey and Xilefi's Slowbro
Week Four: Breloom
Xyue's Magnezone
Week Five: Latios
Yonitet's Milotic
Week Six: Clefable
FailureGirl's Dragonite

op mostly stolen from the nat dex thread; took over from agentkev

Last edited:
How to Lure Week #1: Scizor

:ss/scizor:
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance/Defog

Submission session will end on Thursday midnight, GMT -5.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance/Defog

:bw/tyranitar:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 28 Atk / 104 SpA / 180 SpD / 116 Spe
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

I find adem's godtar set pretty effective at luring Scizor. I also find a lot of Scizors switch into Tyranitar or stay in for the u-turn and effectively falling into the death trap which is Fire Blast. Thanks to the speed and spA EV's Tyranitar is allowed to outspeed Scizor and take it out with Fire blast or for whatever reason Scizor switches in, Scizor is taken out by a Fire blast on switch. I find this very effective at luring and taking out Scizor.​

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Fire Punch
- Charge Beam
- Focus Punch

This Alakazam set lures in 3 important pokemon to get chip on or beat. This set lets you 2hko scizor with fire punch, while staying away from bullet punch OHKO range. 44 Atk Life Orb Alakazam Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Scizor: 161-192 (46.9 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery. Focus punch allows Alakazam to hit Blissey and specially defensive Heatran, doing approximately 50% to both; and making them unable to wall upcoming assaults from common teammates such as Scizor and Latios. Charge beam is replaceable, but it provides a way to hit Skarmory, Starmie, Togekiss and Feraligatr while having great odds of raising your special attack. This set is walled by common latias sets, but with a simple move change of either focus punch or charge beam into shadow ball or dazzling gleam, you can become an effective answer to all the fairy-weak dragon types in the tier as well as potential switchins such as Weavile. Since this set uses life orb as its item, instead of the more common focus sash, it deals more immidiete damage despite having less special attack investment. The main reasons to use this set over the standard set with focus blast is its concistency. Focus blast has a nasty tendancy to miss, with its 70% accuracy, while fire punch cannot miss and focus punch is highly synnergistic as Alakazam very easily forces Blissey and specially defensive Heatran to swap in. Taunt can also be exchanged for one of the moves, as it allows Alakazam to block healing from Blissey, physically defensive Scizor and completely shut down most variants of Skarmory.

:ss/slaking:
Slaking @ Choice Specs
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

This special Slaking will ignore all Will-O-Wisps your opponents try to throw at you, and can one shot many pesky mons in BDSP OU. The important move here is Flamethrower which will always one shot Scizor Even Specially Defensive Ones: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Slaking Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Scizor: 432-512 (125.9 - 149.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO. Scizor might think it'll get a free Swords Dance up on you since physical Slaking has no super effective attacks for it, and you have Truant, it'll prefer to stay in and get the boosts, but you'll surprise them. Along with this you have the move Ice Beam which checks Garchomp who'll try to get Swords Dance up, and it also checks the annoying bulky 'mon Gliscor who might also try to get Swords Dance or heal up with Roost, but you OHKO-Even if it's max HP and SpDef with Careful Nature: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Slaking Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 452-532 (127.6 - 150.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO. Shadow Ball was there for Gengar, but that has been banned to Ubers, so now it's used for Starmie, Alakazam, any Psychic/Ghost 'mons, or to hit (almost) any 'mon neutrally. It OHKOs Starmie from full health after you eat up a Life Orb Hydro Pump: 252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Slaking: 274-325 (62.1 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, 252+ SpA Choice Specs Slaking Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 264-312 (101.1 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO. And now your STAB, Hyper Beam, It was put on this set for your stab because there are only two other normal type special moves that Slaking gets access to-Snore, which only works when you're asleep, and Uproar, which locks you into it. With the decision between these three moves, Hyper Beam appears the best because you can just nuke something with 150 base power STAB-which is 225 base power after STAB and all of that is coming off of specs, so it's hitting like a dump truck at 337 base power, which unless you resist it, is going to hit hard, and since you have Truant and won't be moving every other turn, you're always either switching out or recovering. All these attacks without specs will do most of the opposing 'mon's health, but WITH specs, it ALWAYS OHKOs. Note: If you don't like the speed because you're not taking hits very well, you can invest it into your defenses (preferably special defense because of Slaking's bulk-150/100/65) to take more hits. Here's a link to the team I made with it-I've had this set for a LONG time. Link: https://pokepast.es/a41ba2e42de7ea3e

Last edited:

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Scizor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance/Defog

Spr_5b_482.png

Azelf@Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def or 4 Atk
Timid/Naive Nature
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-U-Turn
-Psychic​

Azelf is commonly played as a suicide lead with sash be it setting screens or taunt and SR. The expert belt here allows Azelf to bluff sash effectively and this lures in several would be checks especially as a lead during the leadoff. Thunderbolt can let you clap skarmory while hiding the flamethrower that you may pack. It also allows you to beat Crawdaunt and clap Azumarill after SR damage and potentially beat Starmie as well attempting to rapid spin preemptively. The other thing is that a lot of mons packing U-Turn such as Scarf Staraptor or Scarf Ape usually won't kill Azelf with their u-turn and pivot into scizor to potentially defog the rocks away and BP usually does not 2HKO, this allows Azelf player to make a hard read to clap it right away on T1. BP also does not 2HKO with the current scizor set posted. (0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Azelf: 109-129 (37.4 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO) Flamethrower kills scizor guaranteed and it has an incredible speed tier going for it with only Zam and Weavile outspeeding it naturally. Azelf can also u-turn out of their bad matchups such as the Latis, TTar and Blissey into teammates that handle those threats better.

It's a very straightforward set that can catch opponents off guard and commonly lures scizor in and a very solid lead that can easily grant the player a 6-5 or even 6-4 advantage depending on how you play it and forces opponents to go for priority moves that don't kill most of the time since sucker punch and shadow sneak users are uncommon and potentially expose scarfers, it can be a good lure for several mons and a scout pokemon for offensive teams. It can also run energy ball to 2HKO rotom-wash as well if one does not want to use t-bolt or they don't want to use u-turn.

Edit: I'd also like to mention that you can run sash on this set too additionally in order to deduce if alakazam is LO or sash since shadow ball only kills Azelf if it is LO and if you want to surprise weavile leads. However, you miss out on being able to kill Azumarill or Magnezone as easily.

Last edited:
:bw/weavile:

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Throat Chop
- Ice Shard
- Assurance

Weavile is a menace, no one's arguing against that. And Scizor might want to switch into it as it's one of its better checks, enter Assurance.
With rocks up, Assurance will double in power from 60 bp to 120 bp.
This big hit will make Scizor unable to check anything at all anymore, effectively getting rid of it especially since you like bullet punch from full health.
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Throat Chop vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor: 247-292 (72 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I can't believe people don't use this Pokémon more, shout out to weavile B)

Last edited:

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
:ss/clefable: @ :life orb:
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast (or Flamethrower if you're scared to miss...)
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Calm Mind
- Moonlight

With Gengar's departure and balance cores opening up, space for a old Clefable set also opened up, able to pick up these cores and shred them to pieces, and to be an amazing offensive support in its own right, and I'm not surprised to see it more and more in high ladder. Just watch as their usual switchins get SHREDDED by Clefable's amazing coverage options, especially with the surprise factor of outspeeding every threat up to Crawdaunt!
In Scizor's case, this basically means it dies. While you get 70% from Bullet Punch, which is arguably a lot, most of the times they'll just either run away or Roost up the damage from Moonblast, so you're safe regardless, and Fire Blast will steam them like a crab. Enjoy your freshly crisped Scizor!

tfw they stole mah kazam

Last edited:

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
I vote for Expert Belt :azelf: and CB Assurance :weavile:

GODTAR: it's a nice rocker, but honestly Scizor has no business switching in on a Tyranitar ever in its life.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor: 246-291 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (only using Crunch twice on a DD Tar doesn't 2HKO, every other combination does)

Fire Punch Alakazam: this is both a Pokémon I'd actually see myself using, and one that effectively lures Scizor in, accomplishing the job better than everyone else in this, although if you're using Orb Kazam you shouldn't have a issue regardless:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Scizor: 318-376 (92.7 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 484-569 (125.3 - 147.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Basically the set is useless, aside from... not having to connect a Focus Blast... I guess?

Specs Slaking: catch me never using a Slaking in my life, much less a Specs one, even if it might sound enticing; I guess it works as a lure at least...

Expert Belt Azelf: actually a good Pokémon, but even the sash rocks set is using Flamethrower nowadays, so its kind of... less effective in luring Scizor, specifically; only screens Azelf is the one set without a fire move, but since it's a relevant set I see why Scizor still would switch in on you at least to scout.

CB Weavile: not gonna lie I feel like submitter had a brainfart on this, since I don't see why a Scizor would deliberately choose to switch in unless you're already locked in the ice move:
Throat Chop: 252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Throat Chop vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor: 166-196 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Assurance: 252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Assurance vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor: 247-292 (72 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, doing the same thing Throat Chop does effectively (2HKOing after rocks, and Throat Chop actually can 2HKO without)
This is not a lure, or at least NOT of this Scizor (I guess it lures the Mixdef 156+ if it ever had a reason to be used...)
That being said, this is the second best Pokémon under this spoiler, so w/e

Last edited:

yonitet

Banned deucer.
I vote for Expert Belt :azelf: and CB Assurance :weavile:

GODTAR: it's a nice rocker, but honestly Scizor has no business switching in on a Tyranitar ever in its life.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor: 246-291 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (only using Crunch twice on a DD Tar doesn't 2HKO, every other combination does)

Fire Punch Alakazam: this is both a Pokémon I'd actually see myself using, and one that effectively lures Scizor in, accomplishing the job better than everyone else in this, although if you're using Orb Kazam you shouldn't have a issue regardless:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Scizor: 318-376 (92.7 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 484-569 (125.3 - 147.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Basically the set is useless, aside from... not having to connect a Focus Blast... I guess?

Specs Slaking: catch me never using a Slaking in my life, much less a Specs one, even if it might sound enticing; I guess it works as a lure at least...

Expert Belt Azelf: actually a good Pokémon, but even the sash rocks set is using Flamethrower nowadays, so its kind of... less effective in luring Scizor, specifically; only screens Azelf is the one set without a fire move, but since it's a relevant set I see why Scizor still would switch in on you at least to scout.

CB Weavile: not gonna lie I feel like submitter had a brainfart on this, since I don't see why a Scizor would deliberately choose to switch in unless you're already locked in the ice move:
Throat Chop: 252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Throat Chop vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor: 166-196 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Assurance: 252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Assurance vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor: 247-292 (72 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, doing the same thing Throat Chop does effectively (2HKOing after rocks, and Throat Chop actually can 2HKO without)
This is not a lure, or at least NOT of this Scizor (I guess it lures the Mixdef 156+ if it ever had a reason to be used...)
That being said, this is the second best Pokémon under this spoiler, so w/e
Scizor is not going to be swapping into alakazam after it focus blasts, It will swap in the turn it nasty plots as most teams already don't have much checks to alakazam. This means scizor will heal off stealth rocks damage with lefties on the nasty plot and survive a +2 focus blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)