Resource Battle Stadium Singles Series 1 Analysis / Dex Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:sv/skeledirge:Analysis Discussion:sv/clodsire:
This is the place to discuss general dex changes and the likes. Think a Pokemon deserves to have an analysis? Notice a common mistake across multiple analyses? This is your thread!

Contributions so far

Omastar68

- Pointed out that Tera Ghost should be slashed in on Garganacl

zapper22001

- Corrected AV Baxcalibur's nature to Adamant

- Brought up Tera Electric and Tera Blast on Physically Offensive Salamence

Tachipoyo

- Updated Dondozo to focus on Wave Crash.

- Brought up Fairy and Flying needing to be added to Dondozo.

- Brought up Tera Fire for Azumarill.

- Brought up Tera Fire for Annihilape.

- Mentioned a U-turn Corviknight set being needed.

- Mentioned Stall Garganacl needing to be added.

- Suggested Low Kick for Meowscarada.

- Brought up a Specially Defensive spread for Hippowdon.

- Mentioned the need for a Gengar analysis.

- Brought up Taunt on Grimmsnarl.

- Mentioned a Jolly spread for Baxcalibur.

Pablo_Wargames

- Mentioned Dragon Claw as a slash in for Haxorus

Jediment

- Pointed out a typo in Annhihlape's analysis that stated it was weak to Steel.

- Mentioned the need for a Paldean Tauros-B analysis.

Last edited:
I suppose it's better to ask this here than simple questions. How many people have to use a Pokemon before it can get an analysis, regardless of performance?

I have a Pokemon that seems like a real hidden gem. I lose a ton, but it's essentially never from that Mon. In fact, I expect I often could've won if not for species clause LOL. Yet in 99 games nobody else has had it, so it feels like even if it pulls me out of the very lowest ladder, it's still too unique.

So once usage stats come out, what ranking an I looking for for it before I can make an analysis? Yes that's right, I'd actually do something rather than asking for help or critiquing lol. I feel strongly for this mon.

DerpySuX

its hard to breathe but thats alright
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I suppose it's better to ask this here than simple questions. How many people have to use a Pokemon before it can get an analysis, regardless of performance?

I have a Pokemon that seems like a real hidden gem. I lose a ton, but it's essentially never from that Mon. In fact, I expect I often could've won if not for species clause LOL. Yet in 99 games nobody else has had it, so it feels like even if it pulls me out of the very lowest ladder, it's still too unique.

So once usage stats come out, what ranking an I looking for for it before I can make an analysis? Yes that's right, I'd actually do something rather than asking for help or critiquing lol. I feel strongly for this mon.
So far we’ve just been doing mons that we as the QC board agree are generally important to keep in mind, while usage amount is definitely a factor in priority, if a poke is good, generally someone will bring it up regardless of how much it is being used at the time. Right now we’re just focusing mainly on the big ones because that’ll be what everyone wants to see when they go to the resources for BSS. There’s a lot more people that wanna see how things like Meowscarada or Mimikyu are doing for example, than say, something like Vivillion.

With the understanding that most of the posts were written with Paradox Format in mind, I'll leave a couple observations

I think the Dondozo post is a tad bit outdated come now, Wave Crash is the overwhelmingly more popular attacking move whereas Liquidation is more uncommon. Flying and Fairy Tera has also been popping up a lot more to the point that Grass Tera is essentially nonexistent

Corviknight definitely deserves a U-turn cushion set considering its abundance in the metagame, Corviknight + Hydreigon is a very central part of the game rn

Fire should be added onto Azumarill's typings, its been popular to nullify WoWs and hunt Corviknights. In a similar vein, Fire Annihilape is common at the moment for a similar reason

Protect/Sub/Recover/Salt Cure has kind of been popular on Garganacl off recent. Sub aside, I think Protect definitely deserves attention

Meowscarada's Low Kick has been in the format for a bit now to nail Kingambit and Hydreigons. Fire Tera has also started to see some usage recently, which might be worth noting

Grimmsnarl is tricky, but an attacker set with Fire Tera, Spirit Break/Sucker Punch/Parting Shot/Tera Blast(?) has been popping up here and there I believe. In comparison to the other subtle changes, I think this set kind of sucks, so its questionable as to whether it should be added or not. Taunt definitely should be added as a possible move though

To my knowledge SpD Hippo is the more common pick, but either work as an option and the set mostly functions the same

Other than that, I do think Floatzel deserves a little bit of attention. Weather parties aren't common in the metagame at the moment, but I imagine it'll be a prominent member.

Arboliva is gaining notoriety as an annoying Pokemon to defeat with Seed Sower/Strength Sap, and is overall a very competent mon. I think it more than deserves an analysis

Tauros (Fire) has been popping up here and there as an anti-meta pick that can defeat Hydreigon, Meowscarada, Corviknight and Kingambit. Arcanine has had a similar spotlight (with Play Rough being the main pull for Arcanine), but I believe the one that consistently shows up every now and then is Tauros

Houndstone's Sand Rush is starting to be paid a little bit of attention to. I think its worth notating down

Among the most recent developments, Gengar has been seeing a slight resurgence with people paying attention to its Thunder Wave/Encore

That was a lot of words whoops- but thank you for your time LOL

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With the understanding that most of the posts were written with Paradox Format in mind, I'll leave a couple observations

I think the Dondozo post is a tad bit outdated come now, Wave Crash is the overwhelmingly more popular attacking move whereas Liquidation is more uncommon. Flying and Fairy Tera has also been popping up a lot more to the point that Grass Tera is essentially nonexistent

Corviknight definitely deserves a U-turn cushion set considering its abundance in the metagame, Corviknight + Hydreigon is a very central part of the game rn

Fire should be added onto Azumarill's typings, its been popular to nullify WoWs and hunt Corviknights. In a similar vein, Fire Annihilape is common at the moment for a similar reason

Protect/Sub/Recover/Salt Cure has kind of been popular on Garganacl off recent. Sub aside, I think Protect definitely deserves attention

Meowscarada's Low Kick has been in the format for a bit now to nail Kingambit and Hydreigons. Fire Tera has also started to see some usage recently, which might be worth noting

Grimmsnarl is tricky, but an attacker set with Fire Tera, Spirit Break/Sucker Punch/Parting Shot/Tera Blast(?) has been popping up here and there I believe. In comparison to the other subtle changes, I think this set kind of sucks, so its questionable as to whether it should be added or not. Taunt definitely should be added as a possible move though

To my knowledge SpD Hippo is the more common pick, but either work as an option and the set mostly functions the same

Other than that, I do think Floatzel deserves a little bit of attention. Weather parties aren't common in the metagame at the moment, but I imagine it'll be a prominent member.

Arboliva is gaining notoriety as an annoying Pokemon to defeat with Seed Sower/Strength Sap, and is overall a very competent mon. I think it more than deserves an analysis

Tauros (Fire) has been popping up here and there as an anti-meta pick that can defeat Hydreigon, Meowscarada, Corviknight and Kingambit. Arcanine has had a similar spotlight (with Play Rough being the main pull for Arcanine), but I believe the one that consistently shows up every now and then is Tauros

Houndstone's Sand Rush is starting to be paid a little bit of attention to. I think its worth notating down

Among the most recent developments, Gengar has been seeing a slight resurgence with people paying attention to its Thunder Wave/Encore

That was a lot of words whoops- but thank you for your time LOL
This was a really great post! Some of this stuff was actually being discussed internally before the post or was gonna get brought up (such as Tauros), but I credited you in the OP (among other members) for a ton of this stuff being added to the dex anyways! Check out the new OP to see what got added so far. For the stuff that isn't currently addressed yet.

- Arboliva is highly likely to get an analysis, we'll figure it out soon!

- We haven't tested Floatzel yet, but Derpy was freaking out about damage calcs for it before this post, and I was pretty impressed by them too (especially almost always OHKOing Corviknight in the rain with CB Tera Water Wave Crash, good lord lol). Mr.Kai as far as I know is intending to test a rain team, and I will certainly try out a Floatzel rain team this week too, so we'll get back to you on that!

- I'll admit I haven't seen Houndstone at all, but I'll try it later.

- For Grimmsnarl, a few of us have seen a Trick CB set that has caught us by surprise. Not sure if it's gonna be added yet, but it's something we'll keep in mind

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
- For Grimmsnarl, a few of us have seen a Trick CB set that has caught us by surprise. Not sure if it's gonna be added yet, but it's something we'll keep in mind
I ran into this on stream last night and it absolutely bodied me lmao. Definitely worth keeping an eye on at the very least

Another question. Is this thread the right one to talk about the sets in the reservation thread? Ive been using haxorus a bit and have some words. I dont like outrage, many fairys and a lot of terafairys out there. Dragon claw stills ohko full hp dnite.

DerpySuX

Yeah you’re free to discuss sets. The reason I personally tend to prefer outrage is because in the event Dragonite or something tries to tera to not be weak to it, outrage still gets the kill most of the time, whereas dragon claw comes up short. Still definitely worth considering if you’re worried about fairies cutting your sweep short

Thank you.

Ok, I see your point. Dnite will teranormal almost everytime, and using dmg calculator, says that Outrage 100% times OHKO and Claw 100% 2HKO. However, I think that a slah for Dragon Claw could be still in due to the proliferation of terafairys that BSS have. Gosh, even dragons go into fairy. Annoying.

Oh right, I'd want to raise Abomasnow, Bellibolt, Arcanine and Orthworm for analysis consideration

Abomasnow's been paid attention to here and there because of Snow boosting defense + Aurora Veil, and uncommonly shows up every now and then

Bellibolt is a bit of old news, but the Parabolic Charge + Slack Off set had a bit of a surge a bit back. I think its likely to reappear in the metagame at some point, so making note of it early might be good

Arcanine has had attention paid to it because of its ability to have Fairy/Fire coverage alongside Extreme Speed letting it fight strongly against most top contenders, in a similar way to Paldean Tauros

Some people have been using Orthworm as a Bax check and general cushion even though it is largely unpopular in comparison to Corviknight

Also, this is an important one, but Sash Gholdengo needs a spotlight I think. Sash using Memento/Thunder Wave has been shaping up to be an irrefutable part of the metagame for about a week now I think

Theorymon

Good point about Dragon Claw Pablo_Wargames , I've slashed Dragon Claw in! At "worst", it'll be a mention, because while Outrage is slashed first for that Dragonite issue, its always a bummer for a Fairy to stop an Outrage sweep lol.

Oh right, I'd want to raise Abomasnow, Bellibolt, Arcanine and Orthworm for analysis consideration

Abomasnow's been paid attention to here and there because of Snow boosting defense + Aurora Veil, and uncommonly shows up every now and then

Bellibolt is a bit of old news, but the Parabolic Charge + Slack Off set had a bit of a surge a bit back. I think its likely to reappear in the metagame at some point, so making note of it early might be good

Arcanine has had attention paid to it because of its ability to have Fairy/Fire coverage alongside Extreme Speed letting it fight strongly against most top contenders, in a similar way to Paldean Tauros

Some people have been using Orthworm as a Bax check and general cushion even though it is largely unpopular in comparison to Corviknight

Also, this is an important one, but Sash Gholdengo needs a spotlight I think. Sash using Memento/Thunder Wave has been shaping up to be an irrefutable part of the metagame for about a week now I think
- I saw several Arcanine last night, I certainly see what you mean, seems viable to me! If no one else objects, I'll probably put it up for reservation.

- That Gholdengo set is a pain in the ass, I saw it on a few Espathra teams. I don't mind adding it that to reservation too!

- I haven't seen Bellibolt in a bit, but I'm actually tempted to try it since I DID see that set.

- I'll admit I haven't seen Abomasnow and Orthwrom, though I have thought about them and could see them having a niche. Any other QC members got opinions on them?

Oh, an important note. I'm noticing that Baxcalibur's AV set is just a standard HA spread, but I don't believe this is the most common spread

Using Iroha's spread as a reference at least (the person who first popularized Baxcalibur), the spread seems to have invested a significant amount of EVs into speed (it should be 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe with Jolly), which is just enough speed to outspeed Modest Gholdengo while also being able to outspeed Adamant Dragonite as a bonus. When considering the occasional max speed Kingambit as well, I think this EV spread is at minimum noteworthy, at most can be pushed as the 'standard' set

Theorymon

Oh, an important note. I'm noticing that Baxcalibur's AV set is just a standard HA spread, but I don't believe this is the most common spread

Using Iroha's spread as a reference at least (the person who first popularized Baxcalibur), the spread seems to have invested a significant amount of EVs into speed (it should be 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe with Jolly), which is just enough speed to outspeed Modest Gholdengo while also being able to outspeed Adamant Dragonite as a bonus. When considering the occasional max speed Kingambit as well, I think this EV spread is at minimum noteworthy, at most can be pushed as the 'standard' set
I added the Jolly spread for now, I don't object to making it the main spread later too, but at least its in atm! I also added in how Ice Shard interacts with Glaive Rush.

For Bulk Up Corviknight I want to suggest Drill Peck as either a slash or mention with Iron Head. Drill Peck gives you a better matchup against Annihilape, especially ones that are fast enough to Taunt you, and you also generally have a better time against Scizor and random Water Teras. Iron Head is still better in most circumstances just because of the flinch chance though.

For Lokix, why not a slash for Lunge? Meanwhile leech can heal you, Lokix has poor bulk to really care about healing, and Lunge can work fine in this physical meta.

Theorymon

For Lokix, why not a slash for Lunge? Meanwhile leech can heal you, Lokix has poor bulk to really care about healing, and Lunge can work fine in this physical meta.
Sorry for such a late response, but: the reason is because while Lokix isn't exactly bulky, it takes a LOT of residual damage between Life Orb, and hazards since it switches out so much. KOing something with Leech Life can potentially give Lokix another chance to come in.

That being said, I'll bring up Lunge with QC to see if its worth a mention. I haven't personally seen it or used it though.

For Armarouge, a Sash set should probably be noted. There's been an occasional Sash + Psychic Terrain set, the concept being to set up Psychic Terrain, turn immune to priority moves while activating Weak Armor, and to deal massive damage to the opponent's party

I'll be real this Arma set is probably a bit too weak to Stealth Rock- but its a perfectly good option and one that definitely pops up every now and then so its noteworthy Imo

Oop I'll raise a couple more sets for Pokemon with sets

Rocky Helmet Gholdengo has been increasing in number commonly enough to be notated I think (typically with Flying Tera). While I'm at it, I'll bump Sash Gholdengo too
Kingambit often invested Speed to outspeed Pokemon like Corviknight and speed uninvested Dragonite, Idk if its still the norm but its definitely not uncommon. There's also Kingambit sets with Taunt and Stealth Rock, those definitely need to be notated too Imo

Yawn/Sub Skeledirge with Water Tera completely walls Dondozo and other such Pokemon and is a pretty noteworthy set

On a more minor note, I think Noivern kind of deserves an analysis, primarily for Frisk + Boomburst (Normal Tera)

Theorymon

So first off, a lotta stuff got updated!

Gholdengo

- Flash Cannon got removed from Nasty Plot, that sure fell off like.. a few days after the ladder started last month lol.

- Fighting Tera is now brought up for Kingambit.

Dragapult

- Fighting Tera is brought up for Kingambit on several sets.

Magnezone

- Assault Vest is slashed in, with the set now being called "Special Attacker".

- Steel Tera is mentioned now for its absurd damage potential with Steel Beam.

Skeledirge

- Covert Cloak is now the 3rd item slashed in.

- Yawn is slashed in.

- Substitute is slashed in.

Salamence

- Dragon Dance has become "Physically Offensive", with Dragon Dance now a slash in.

- Tera Electric and Tera Blast are now in on Physically Offensive.

- Mixed is now specially based, and has Substitute slashed in.

For Bulk Up Corviknight I want to suggest Drill Peck as either a slash or mention with Iron Head. Drill Peck gives you a better matchup against Annihilape, especially ones that are fast enough to Taunt you, and you also generally have a better time against Scizor and random Water Teras. Iron Head is still better in most circumstances just because of the flinch chance though.
Brave Bird was slashed in instead for pretty similar reasons, the higher damage output is worth it on Bulk Up.

Oop I'll raise a couple more sets for Pokemon with sets

Rocky Helmet Gholdengo has been increasing in number commonly enough to be notated I think (typically with Flying Tera). While I'm at it, I'll bump Sash Gholdengo too
Kingambit often invested Speed to outspeed Pokemon like Corviknight and speed uninvested Dragonite, Idk if its still the norm but its definitely not uncommon. There's also Kingambit sets with Taunt and Stealth Rock, those definitely need to be notated too Imo

Yawn/Sub Skeledirge with Water Tera completely walls Dondozo and other such Pokemon and is a pretty noteworthy set

On a more minor note, I think Noivern kind of deserves an analysis, primarily for Frisk + Boomburst (Normal Tera)
Besides Skeledirge (whose now addressed), Gholdengo will certainly be getting a bulky set for reservation by tomorrow!

I'm in favor of SR Kingambit as well, but I want to talk to other QC members about that first.

With the season ending and blog posts coming out, I think there'll be a lot to update in a bit, but for the time being: I ran into a good number of Water Tera Salamence, I think its worth bringing up at some point

DerpySuX

I am running into a somewhat notable amount of Mental Herb Clodsire on ladder. I think this should probably have a mention as it allows clodsire to get off a toxic or what have you against a taunt user, which is extremely valuable (and frustrating for the taunt user LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)