Tournament Battle Stadium Premier League V - Commencement Thread

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
What a marathon. In perhaps the closest BSPL ever (8 series ending in ties), it was truly impossible to tell who would end up on top. I want to thank every single opponent we played from the Pups in Week 1 all the way to the Cavaliers in Finals for giving us a run for our money. The competition this year was truly spectacular, and there were many sets that I'll remember for years to come.

That being said, now that the dust has settled, I am absolutely ecstatic to announce that the Paniola Ranch Ponies are the 2020 BSPL V Champions.
As has become tradition, I want to say a few words on behalf of my team. This moment I truly treasure does not happen without the hard work of every single member of the Ponies. You were everything and more that a first-time manager could ask for.

The first shoutout I want to give (before I get to everyone else) is to Ika Ika Musume. You and I both have had this BSPL circled on our calendar, ever since our crushing defeat together in BSPL IV Finals as members of the Inkays. I am thrilled to finally let you know that this championship is yours! You have been my best friend and fellow Solerme tutee for two years now, and I never expected our first time ever meeting where I played my level 2 probopass FEAR team vs your mono-Flying in BSS to evolve into such a beautiful friendship (the game, for reference: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-807684907). I couldn't have asked for a better partner to climb this mountain with.
To top it off, a HUGE CONGRATZ on earning the MVP for BSPL V. I know the virtual hardware doesn't mean anything to you, but what you did this year will go down as one of the greatest BSPL performances of all time, and you should be proud of how well you played. I certainly am. Enjoy a nice cool beer my friend, you deserve it.

To the rest of the Ponies (in alphabetical order)

AuraRayquaza: Your performance in the second half of the season was downright astounding. I joked after you won your first week that "you have already matched your BSPLIII performance" and that you then already met expectations. However, since the moment you joined the team, I knew you were the real deal, and that you were so much more than your past BSPL performances (heck, this guy got the #1 ELO for DOULT 2019, what a freaking stud). Since week 4, when I decided I was gonna give VGC a shot and help be more involved in the Doubles effort, I've gotten to know you well and it was a true pleasure to play alongside such an epic gamer. We don't get here to the top without your 4/5 wins to close the season, thank you my guy for turning into Mega Rayquaza for us.

FloristtheBudew: I brought you on presumably as a "backup", and told you from Week 1 that I was going to get you into a game. I don't think any spectator in BSPL knew what was coming for you next. Thrusted early into the lineup for Week 2, you would go on to play 6 weeks straight, culminated by the clinching win for the Ponies in Finals. Thanks for putting up with me as a practice partner, and it was great to grow as a doubles player alongside you. Cheers my Aussie brother!

greilmercenary9: You were the first person I drafted, and for good reason. By getting you on our squad, we brought immediate legitimacy to our campaign to win BSPL V. I wasn't worried for a second when you said that your availability wasn't great, because what you stood for, as the previous manager champion and the face of competitive smogon BSS, was truly irreplaceable. Thank you for being our anchor, my BSS idol, and all around such a kind hearted, hard working teammate. I appreciate your support behind the scenes and believing in me to manage us to the promised land. The only back to back BSPL Champion this year, and well deserved!

Monsareeasy: First, I want to apologize for completely missing all of your messages during draft time. For those who haven't heard the story, I had messaged Arctic during the beginning of the draft, and was also in a PM with like 5 other ppl. His messages ended up getting buried at the bottom of PS, and I didnt respond to him when he sent me like 20 messages. While Arctic was terrified he wouldn't get drafted, I want him to know he was 100% on my radar the entire time, LOL! Your win vs Chemcoop in week 5 was legitimately one of the best Pokemon performances I've ever watched, and its amazing to watch you grow from the promising but mediocre player who I meme'd on with Mega Glalie last year to the very talented, multi-format player you are today.

TJ: B101 Leader conquers BSPL! Lets go! It was a bit of a weird circumstance I had managing my boss, being a brand new tutor myself, but its definitely something I will cherish. Despite not being a veteran 3 vs 3 player, you put in the work to earn a place in our lineup, and I appreciate your flexibility in team options and putting in a ton of practice games. As I would expect from a top notch tutor, you were very receptive to feedback and very willing to learn a novel format. Your future as a leader of Smogon looks bright, and I'm looking forward to working with you throughout this new generation. Hope to see you in future BSS events!

TheLoanRanger: I know you and I didn't want to see you in the unofficial role of team mascot, but I'm really glad you stuck with us till the end. Your involvement near the end of the season in helping us right ship for our doubles squads was critical in our turnaround, and I want to thank you for being a part of this journey with us. I hope everything is going well with you irl, and please know I'm always gonna be around to chat if you ever need a friend. Regardless, congratz on winning BSPL!

A few smaller outside of the team shoutouts.

Solerme: I owe it all to you for bringing me into this community. I'm forever thankful for you making our tutoring experience such a memorable one, and Ika and I are both really proud to be lifting this trophy in your honor.
average fella: Thanks for making our discord logo/emote
Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 10.34.00 PM.png
:poni:

TectonicDestroyer: Thanks for the prep chats in reg season and for our matches together. (ps I have an oras ou team ready whenever u are)

DragonWhale: Thanks for hosting all our tours and BSPL. Never an easy job but job well done again.

See you all next year in BSPL VI! Its gonna be epic. For the last time in 2020, Go Ponies!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)