Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

Here's some Doubles fun:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Clear Body (Tough Claws)

- Iron Head
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Modest, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Speed
Ability: Levitate

- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Azumarill @ Mystic Water
Adamant, 212 HP, 252 Atk, 44 Speed.
Ability: Huge Power

- Waterfall
- Protect
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified

- Leaf Blade
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Rotom-H @ Expert Belt
Modest, 252 HP, 196 Sp. Atk, 60 Speed

- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Hidden Power Ice
- Overheat

All 5 are one big synergetic core, composed of Dragon/steel/fairy and fire/water/grass in five slots.
Metagross + Hydreigon are fast and brutal, and cover a ton by themselves. Azumarill makes a solid switch in for both of them and does fantastic in the back; it eats Fire/Dark for Metagross and Dragon/Ice/Fighting for Hydreigon, and also smashes into teams hard just with STAB coverage. Mystic Water is weird, I know, but a boosted Waterfall + Aqua Jet KOs so much its not even funny and 100% acc is beautiful. Speed is complicated; its just creep basically.
Just the three of them maim everything bar Char-Y and Kangaskhan really.

As for things like Char-Y, Talonflame, Gyarados, Kangaskhan, Aegislash, Milotic, and Rotom-W (Hydra has to be locked on DP otherwise its an issue) that the above three have some trouble against, Virizion and Rotom-H together bash down the whole list while putting huge pressure on literally every auto-Weather archetype. Virizion is very standard; LO however is REQUIRED to knock out Kang and TTar. Stone Edge is just for Flying types resisting STABs; team lacks Rock coverage.

Team basically just needs Speed control but even that isn't 100% needed; Metagross and Virizion have high base Speed while Scarf Hydra keeps ahead of things like mega Gengar and Scarf Landog. Rock Slide would be nice, and I have 2 levitates to abuse EQ, so plenty of things are possible.

edit: been playing around with Gross + Hydra + Azumarill for months, just clarifying since the community build-a-team has a similar core going on
Scarf? That's new, but I guess if anyone knows what they're doing it's you:)

Only tiny thing I see is on Azu-taking 8 evs off HP for 4 in each defense helps bulk since it has more HP than defenses. From there you can play around more with the spread, mayb taking more HP out to be bulkier on one side by a bit.

Scarf? That's new, but I guess if anyone knows what they're doing it's you:)

Only tiny thing I see is on Azu-taking 8 evs off HP for 4 in each defense helps bulk since it has more HP than defenses. From there you can play around more with the spread, mayb taking more HP out to be bulkier on one side by a bit.
Scarf isn't new lol, Hydreigon is the poster child of Choice sets xD
But I know what you mean I never use Choice stuff; Scarf Hydra and Scarf Heracross have worked for me though.

tsk tsk, you did note a flaw in Azumarill's spread but not the right one. 204 / 4 / 4 doesn't reduce any rolls that 212 / 0 / 0 hits. It's just an adapted Belly Drum + Sitrus spread. It failed horribly so I stopped running BD but kept the fairly functional spread.
44 Speed EVs however hits 76 Speed; double that with possible Tailwind support and it hits 152, tied with neutral 100's like Kanga / Char-Y / Zapdos / Mence / etc. 204 HP / 52 Speed would of been the fix ;P

All this really needs is Speed support. I was thinking Tailwind + Icy Wind Tornadus but eh. Good EQ + Tailwind/Icy Wind doesn't seem to exist.

Scarf isn't new lol, Hydreigon is the poster child of Choice sets xD
But I know what you mean I never use Choice stuff; Scarf Hydra and Scarf Heracross have worked for me though.

tsk tsk, you did note a flaw in Azumarill's spread but not the right one. 204 / 4 / 4 doesn't reduce any rolls that 212 / 0 / 0 hits. It's just an adapted Belly Drum + Sitrus spread. It failed horribly so I stopped running BD but kept the fairly functional spread.
44 Speed EVs however hits 76 Speed; double that with possible Tailwind support and it hits 152, tied with neutral 100's like Kanga / Char-Y / Zapdos / Mence / etc. 204 HP / 52 Speed would of been the fix ;P

All this really needs is Speed support. I was thinking Tailwind + Icy Wind Tornadus but eh. Good EQ + Tailwind/Icy Wind doesn't seem to exist.

Well, it's less common than Specs anyways. Stupid slow internet is so random, sometimes Stats load reallyfast(mostly for the default Singles tho...idk,) sometimes not. Smogon always loads really fast, same with Showdown for w/e reason. I don't get it at all.

That's interesting on Azu, EVs never really work how you'd expect. But i'm not sure all that Spe is really a good idea. I mean this team is crazy fast already and you want Tailwind <.< I mean sure there are Tailwind wars, Icy Wind drops, and paralysis, but mayb there's a better way to deal with all that...

Thundurus can Taunt to stop Taillwinds and such, and is also great against a lot of setters themselves. T-Wave more than cancels out any possible Spe drops on your side...and makes up for your two slower mons. Chance for full para is always good, I get so many of those it ain't even funny(actually it is lol^^)

Other stuff...well you can never really go wrong with Landog. There's your Rock Slide and a strong EQ. Chomp I like a lot, thanks to you. It seems good here too. Very fast still, and same EQ and Rock Slide stuff. I remember you were trying AV, how'd that go, and would it be good here? Fairy Hyper Voices can be a bit cruel at times, so living them better would be good.

Anyways...that's all I got. Hopefully in some way helpful. also, what do you think about Latias in BSD, not this team just in general? Is it worth using or mosly outclassed by Cress? and mega or not? I'm not that crazy about the mega since it doesn't really add much(plus Latias goes pretty well with Kang, so you'd often bring both but can only mega one,) but it is more common. The thing with Latias that makes it tricky is finding a moveset that is good but not like exactly what Cress runs or can run(recovery move, Icy Wind, etc.)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I am new to competitive Pokemon in general and do have some completed pokes like mega kanga , and mega salamence and a few others.

So I was wondering if someone could help me build a starter team that has a moderate skill cap to kinda get me started. Pref with no legendarys since I'm still not sure how to easily get legit ones with high ivs.

Anyways sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask but I'm really not sure where to start with this and have found the basic level I've done so far really fun.

Edit: thought I'd lost the Pokemon I have close to ready have talonflame , Chancey , gredninja , and Charizard x as well as salamence and kanga mega and skill link cloyster all pretty normal iv ev and movesets sorry for not having more info atm at work and on my phone
Hey there and welcome to Smogon / Battle Spot!

It's kinda hard to suggest anything when you've only listed 7 Pokemon, even harder when 3 are megas and nothing really synergises. The best thing you could do is come to our chatroom on Pokemon Showdown and discuss with one of our regulars there!

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespot

Well, it's less common than Specs anyways. Stupid slow internet is so random, sometimes Stats load reallyfast(mostly for the default Singles tho...idk,) sometimes not. Smogon always loads really fast, same with Showdown for w/e reason. I don't get it at all.

That's interesting on Azu, EVs never really work how you'd expect. But i'm not sure all that Spe is really a good idea. I mean this team is crazy fast already and you want Tailwind <.< I mean sure there are Tailwind wars, Icy Wind drops, and paralysis, but mayb there's a better way to deal with all that...

Thundurus can Taunt to stop Taillwinds and such, and is also great against a lot of setters themselves. T-Wave more than cancels out any possible Spe drops on your side...and makes up for your two slower mons. Chance for full para is always good, I get so many of those it ain't even funny(actually it is lol^^)

Other stuff...well you can never really go wrong with Landog. There's your Rock Slide and a strong EQ. Chomp I like a lot, thanks to you. It seems good here too. Very fast still, and same EQ and Rock Slide stuff. I remember you were trying AV, how'd that go, and would it be good here? Fairy Hyper Voices can be a bit cruel at times, so living them better would be good.

Anyways...that's all I got. Hopefully in some way helpful. also, what do you think about Latias in BSD, not this team just in general? Is it worth using or mosly outclassed by Cress? and mega or not? I'm not that crazy about the mega since it doesn't really add much(plus Latias goes pretty well with Kang, so you'd often bring both but can only mega one,) but it is more common. The thing with Latias that makes it tricky is finding a moveset that is good but not like exactly what Cress runs or can run(recovery move, Icy Wind, etc.)
Thundy is another Ground-immune Electric type weak to Rock, but bumps me up to 3 Ice weaknesses. Landog/Chompy makes it even worse lol.
Fire/Ice/Fairy I have to be dodgy on.
Niches, unfortunately. Qwilfish makes my resistance chart killer, and adds intimidate, but let's be serious. Miltank, great bulk and resists, T Wave+Icy Wind, might actually be ok with a Rocky Helmet or something. Starmie/Slowbro, oddly enough, could be ok. So much dumb shit to pencil in but... trying to find better things xD

Latias I'll PM you later. I gotta run to work.

Thundy is another Ground-immune Electric type weak to Rock, but bumps me up to 3 Ice weaknesses. Landog/Chompy makes it even worse lol.
Fire/Ice/Fairy I have to be dodgy on.
Niches, unfortunately. Qwilfish makes my resistance chart killer, and adds intimidate, but let's be serious. Miltank, great bulk and resists, T Wave+Icy Wind, might actually be ok with a Rocky Helmet or something. Starmie/Slowbro, oddly enough, could be ok. So much dumb shit to pencil in but... trying to find better things xD

Latias I'll PM you later. I gotta run to work.
Sure, thanks. Ice I definitely considered, but it doesn't seem too bad with three bulky resists, and your current weaks are 2x only and both have pretty good special bulk too(also physical for Hydra, tho uninvested it's not that special.)

I can see why you wouldn't want a 4x ice weak mon, but I think you can afford a 2x one if that's what you want.

Qwilfish prolly would be great if it had stats. If only Tentacruel had Intimidate or something, that typing is neat.

Miltank is a nice mon. 2 pseudo resists and a Ghost immunity with Thick Fat, and only compounds fighting which is resisted quite well overall. Surprisingly uncommon going off most recent stats-#188. Still, it has lots of stuff going for it-Helping Hand, IW, T-Wave, Rock Slide, etc. For you tho I think Body Slam is the way to go. You have a good chance to para and a fairly strong STAB in one slot, rather than giving up coverage or w/e for Return and T-Wave.

Spe control can never really be a bad idea, but I don't think you need to go all out with T-Wave-a chance is fine imo. Like I've said your team is fast-even Miltank is another fast thing, tho i'm guessing you're going bulky.

whats a good team to put together i want to use mega mawile as a core fore battle spot singles and tailwind to setup

Lilith (Mawile-Mega) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

im not sure what to use to help build aound her though

whats a good team to put together i want to use mega mawile as a core fore battle spot singles and tailwind to setup

Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

im not sure what to use to help build aound her though
There's an analysis for it. That's the best way to go for starters.

ok so i already read all that this is what i have so far

Acedia (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

Luxuria (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Leech Seed
- Encore
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

Abigar (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect

im not sure what to put as the last to for possible help and if theres a better tailwinder

Hi guys,

This is a team I've been working on for ORAS Battle Spot Singles, and I'd really appreciate any help with finishing it up. I think I've got the first five Pokemon figured out (although of course they're still open to change, and any feedback is still appreciated), but the last slot is still up in the air. I've been workshopping a few different Pokemon to put there, but can't seem to find the right one. I was thinking maybe Breloom to deal with Rotom-Wash (which is the bane of my existence), or Scarfed Tyranitar to get rid of electric types like Mega Manectric.

Thanks! :)

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Pretty standard Mega Mawile set, not much to say here. Getting off a Swords Dance lets me hide behind Sucker Punch which can do quite a bit of damage. Play Rough is the obligatory STAB move (which is also devastating after a Swords Dance), and Fire Fang is for coverage to hit those pesky steel types.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Slowbro covers Mawile's fire weakness really well, and is all around a really good physical wall. Ice Beam is to hit the ground types and dragons like Salamence and Garchomp that will try to threaten Mawile with Earthquake. Mawile also really appreciates the speed control provided by Thunder Wave.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

I added Porygon2 pretty much just to deal with Thundurus and Zapdos, which kept destroying me before (I got the idea from the community build a team). It also acts as a special wall, which complements Slowbro's physical wall well. Thunderbolt is for coverage. I was thinking of maybe investing some of the SpD EVs into SpA to give Ice Beam a bigger punch?

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar serves as my check to two of the most popular Pokemon in the game, Aegislash and Kanghaskhan. I can outspeed Aegislash and hit it with two Shadow Balls thanks to the Focus Sash, and Will-O-Wisp cripples Kanghaskhan. I haven't found Substitute all that useful, but that's probably because I don't know how to use it.

Talonflame (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 40 HP / 244 Atk / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

The classic Choice Band Talonflame set. Takes care of Blaziken and Lopunny.

Last edited:
Here's some Doubles fun:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body (Tough Claws)

- Iron Head
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Modest, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Speed

- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Azumarill @ Mystic Water
Adamant, 212 HP, 252 Atk, 44 Speed.

- Waterfall
- Protect
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified

- Leaf Blade
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Rotom-H @ Expert Belt
Modest, 252 HP, 196 Sp. Atk, 60 Speed

- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Hidden Power Ice
- Overheat

All 5 are one big synergetic core, composed of Dragon/steel/fairy and fire/water/grass in five slots.
Metagross + Hydreigon are fast and brutal, and cover a ton by themselves. Azumarill makes a solid switch in for both of them and does fantastic in the back; it eats Fire/Dark for Metagross and Dragon/Ice/Fighting for Hydreigon, and also smashes into teams hard just with STAB coverage. Mystic Water is weird, I know, but a boosted Waterfall + Aqua Jet KOs so much its not even funny and 100% acc is beautiful. Speed is complicated; its just creep basically.
Just the three of them maim everything bar Char-Y and Kangaskhan really.

As for things like Char-Y, Talonflame, Gyarados, Kangaskhan, Aegislash, Milotic, and Rotom-W (Hydra has to be locked on DP otherwise its an issue) that the above three have some trouble against, Virizion and Rotom-H together bash down the whole list while putting huge pressure on literally every auto-Weather archetype. Virizion is very standard; LO however is REQUIRED to knock out Kang and TTar. Stone Edge is just for Flying types resisting STABs; team lacks Rock coverage.

Team basically just needs Speed control but even that isn't 100% needed; Metagross and Virizion have high base Speed while Scarf Hydra keeps ahead of things like mega Gengar and Scarf Landog. Rock Slide would be nice, and I have 2 levitates to abuse EQ, so plenty of things are possible.

edit: been playing around with Gross + Hydra + Azumarill for months, just clarifying since the community build-a-team has a similar core going on
Actually, found something fun, but its turning into six slots so I'm making an RMT (in the right place) instead since the workshop is 5 mons and under. So I guess this is closed, lol.

Hi guys,

This is a team I've been working on for ORAS Battle Spot Singles, and I'd really appreciate any help with finishing it up. I think I've got the first five Pokemon figured out (although of course they're still open to change, and any feedback is still appreciated), but the last slot is still up in the air. I've been workshopping a few different Pokemon to put there, but can't seem to find the right one. I was thinking maybe Breloom to deal with Rotom-Wash (which is the bane of my existence), or Scarfed Tyranitar to get rid of electric types like Mega Manectric.

Thanks! :)

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Pretty standard Mega Mawile set, not much to say here. Getting off a Swords Dance lets me hide behind Sucker Punch which can do quite a bit of damage. Play Rough is the obligatory STAB move (which is also devastating after a Swords Dance), and Fire Fang is for coverage to hit those pesky steel types.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Slowbro covers Mawile's fire weakness really well, and is all around a really good physical wall. Ice Beam is to hit the ground types and dragons like Salamence and Garchomp that will try to threaten Mawile with Earthquake. Mawile also really appreciates the speed control provided by Thunder Wave.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

I added Porygon2 pretty much just to deal with Thundurus and Zapdos, which kept destroying me before (I got the idea from the community build a team). It also acts as a special wall, which complements Slowbro's physical wall well. Thunderbolt is for coverage. I was thinking of maybe investing some of the SpD EVs into SpA to give Ice Beam a bigger punch?

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar serves as my check to two of the most popular Pokemon in the game, Aegislash and Kanghaskhan. I can outspeed Aegislash and hit it with two Shadow Balls thanks to the Focus Sash, and Will-O-Wisp cripples Kanghaskhan. I haven't found Substitute all that useful, but that's probably because I don't know how to use it.

Talonflame (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 40 HP / 244 Atk / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

The classic Choice Band Talonflame set. Takes care of Blaziken and Lopunny.
Good catch putting the 4 Def on Mawi instead of 4 SpD. idk if it was on purpose, but it does change some important calcs actually.,

Porygon2 i'd run Discharge over T-Wave and T-bolt. It kinda combines the two with a 30% chance to para and almost as much power as T-Bolt(especially on a defensive set.) This frees up a slot for one of the many moves P2 wants to run. Tri-Attack, Toxic(mayb not here with status all over, might Toxic a switch in you wanna para for instance,) Foul Play, Shadow Ball, Hidden Powers, etc.

Gengar is certainly an interesting one. I ran that same set to much success, bar the item ofc, in Kanto Classic, but with Hypnosis over WoW. With a sash it's even more deadly with two chances. Substitute really doesn't work with Sash tho. Destiny Bond is a great replacement. Also, Aegi often has Shadow Sneak, so Sash doesn't guarantee two Shadow Balls on it. Hex is another good move with all your status on the team, stronger than Shadow Ball vs statused mons and only a little weaker otherwise(and there's still Sludge Bomb...tho if you could get a Sludge Wave one that'd be a little better. Event tho, so prolly not the easiest thing to get. you'd ask in the Wi-Fi forum.)

Dealing with all the electrics with the last slot is tough. Mega Venusaur mostly does it, and it's perfectly reasonable to run two megas. Your team is strong vs her two main enemies in Talon and Mence, and I think you mostly deal well with Gengar too. Aegi is definitely a problem tho, which is a good argument for Hypnosis on Gengar-to have some chance against ones that haven't been put in range of a ko.

burninghotcheese
Good catch putting the 4 Def on Mawi instead of 4 SpD. idk if it was on purpose, but it does change some important calcs actually.,

Porygon2 i'd run Discharge over T-Wave and T-bolt. It kinda combines the two with a 30% chance to para and almost as much power as T-Bolt(especially on a defensive set.) This frees up a slot for one of the many moves P2 wants to run. Tri-Attack, Toxic(mayb not here with status all over, might Toxic a switch in you wanna para for instance,) Foul Play, Shadow Ball, Hidden Powers, etc.

Gengar is certainly an interesting one. I ran that same set to much success, bar the item ofc, in Kanto Classic, but with Hypnosis over WoW. With a sash it's even more deadly with two chances. Substitute really doesn't work with Sash tho. Destiny Bond is a great replacement. Also, Aegi often has Shadow Sneak, so Sash doesn't guarantee two Shadow Balls on it. Hex is another good move with all your status on the team, stronger than Shadow Ball vs statused mons and only a little weaker otherwise(and there's still Sludge Bomb...tho if you could get a Sludge Wave one that'd be a little better. Event tho, so prolly not the easiest thing to get. you'd ask in the Wi-Fi forum.)

Dealing with all the electrics with the last slot is tough. Mega Venusaur mostly does it, and it's perfectly reasonable to run two megas. Your team is strong vs her two main enemies in Talon and Mence, and I think you mostly deal well with Gengar too. Aegi is definitely a problem tho, which is a good argument for Hypnosis on Gengar-to have some chance against ones that haven't been put in range of a ko.
Sludge Wave is a Gen 5 exclusive (Dream World) which is a no-no in this Pentagon-enforced world of ours and there is basically no reason ever to use it over Sludge Bomb since the +7 base power doesn't mean jack shit and you have a nearly useless Poison chance. Nidoking was the only thing that had a reason to use it since the Poison chance was a non-factor with Sheer Force :P

Oh and Mega Venusaur beats Aegislash unless its at +2 or has a Sub up; the cruelty of Leech Seed is strong. Gotta watch for Gardevoir and other Psychic mons too, but I think he can handle Psychic hits.
Mamoswine eats Electric mons for breakfast, might be useful idk. Yache Berry Stone Edge Garchomp also takes on any Electric you'd ever want while slaughtering Thundurus. I believe Yache + Rock Tomb -> Outrage works too for more accuracy but nets a free Fairy switch. Garchomp effortlessly handles Char-Y for you, since it can easily beat Mawile + Slowbro, and tank + slam Gengar or Talonflame if it wants to.

Rotom-W practically requires a Grass type if you want that countered; Breloom, Amoonguss, Virizion, Venusaur, and possibly Roserade are your best bets there, I don't think Regen AV Tangrowth would work well at all since you have Slowbro doing 90% of its job and don't really need its scrollbar of weaknesses just to wreck Rotom-W.
Or Snorlax but he's kinda bad 1v1.

edit: oh my bad. Still, Sludge Bomb's higher Poison chance is better than 7 base power imo :P

Last edited:
Hey guys, decided on getting more into the BSS scene since i love the 3v3 aspect to make competitions feel more balanced (and quicker) alongside not having to deal with kyurems and keldeos like in OU. However, i could use some help when it comes to team building since i am not too familiar with the format. I only have about 17 games in rn and I'm currently 13-4. I know i want to build around the offensive core of Mega Manectric and Gyarados. Here is there current setup

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Max EVs in SPA and Spe to ensure speed and strength when using volt switch and other offensive moves. Quite a bit of my success with the thunderdoge is thanks to predictions on switch ins and not getting greedy when it comes to getting set up. I chose manectric for my mega since he can escape a mega gengar, OR even straight up defeat it if necessary, provides pressure to kangaskahn with intimidate, and OHKOs mega Salamence. He also comes paired with more likely than not Gyarados

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Ice Fang

EVs set up for maximum stealth rock switch ins alongside max speed and attack for best possible sweep opportunities. I use lum berry over leftovers so that getting hit by a will o wisp or hypnosis or thunder wave doesn't actually cripple the beast when it uses DD. This combined with lightning rod little manectric provides a core that cover each other quite nicely (gyarados likes those ground types). I chose bounce for STAB bonus alongside being able to hit mega venusaur, bug types, and it gets around sucker punch shenanigans from the kang to boot. Waterfall for water STAB, and Ice fang for garchomp and other types that don't like to get the cold bite. Overall, changes that can be made more than likely is switching ice fang for earthquake, but on the team i was originally using, i had both landorus T and a heatran with earth power, so i felt it wasn't as necessary.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Protect

Next up i like to use Stall Heatran to help in the long games as well as being capable of trapping the bulky pokemon for as long as magma storm lasts. MS, Toxic, and Protect provide the opponent with no hope of escape if they don't switch out before the storm hits. Also fun things include spamming toxic for switch ins, earth power wrecks lots of pokemon surprisingly to me. And protect allows more turns of leftovers, toxic, and MS burns to build up. Making this a very fun build to use.

So now I am looking at what to include for the final 3 slots. As of RN, i have a special sweeper, a physical setup sweeper, and a special stall/special wall. more than likely i will need 2 wallbreakers for each type, as well as a physical wall. Any help for those slots are appreciated. as a reference of what i ran before, i ran the physically offensive stealth rock set for landorus t, physically defensive ferrothorn, and choice specs hydreigon. I found a glaring weakness to fighting type attacks.

ProjectTitan313 there's been a pentagon Sludge Wave Gengar event. I've seen one good one in WiFi.
I thot there were legal ones, good to be sure. I recommended it cuz the little bit of extra power seems worth way less poison chance since there is a TON of status on burninghotcheese's team. 5 mons have a status move, and that's not counting Sludge Bomb as a pseudo sixth. Also Scald from Slowbro.

Ordinarily I prefer Sludge Bomb by a lot, and even here it might work. I guess it sort of depends on the sixth slot and if it creates more of a problem with something that hates getting poisoned...still, Sludge Bomb isn't bad poison. Outside of Toxic I think it's only just Poison Fang that badly poisons, mayb Tail too. Both are bad distribution, and they're not really that good, especially the latter. Normal poison is the least problematic status, with lower damage output than burn and no extra effect. Really not worth much imo, and can help opponent in theory by protecting them from other status.

I thot there were legal ones, good to be sure. I recommended it cuz the little bit of extra power seems worth way less poison chance since there is a TON of status on burninghotcheese's team. 5 mons have a status move, and that's not counting Sludge Bomb as a pseudo sixth. Also Scald from Slowbro.

Ordinarily I prefer Sludge Bomb by a lot, and even here it might work. I guess it sort of depends on the sixth slot and if it creates more of a problem with something that hates getting poisoned...still, Sludge Bomb isn't bad poison. Outside of Toxic I think it's only just Poison Fang that badly poisons, mayb Tail too. Both are bad distribution, and they're not really that good, especially the latter. Normal poison is the least problematic status, with lower damage output than burn and no extra effect. Really not worth much imo, and can help opponent in theory by protecting them from other status.
Yeah there was an event, that was my bad. I thought it was still stuck to Dream World Gastly lol.

Oh, yeah he has a lot of status now that I look at it.
Only Poison Fang causes Toxic poison, every other Poison attack is regular. It's the same 1/8th max HP per turn as burn; yes it lacks the attack drop but that's moot on Special attackers anyway and nothing likes to lose an eigth of their HP every turn. Burn and Paralysis are usually better yes, but regular old Poison isn't that bad. It doesn't matter much which route he goes for Sludge Wave or Bomb, I'd rather run Bomb + Hex myself but Wave + Shadow Ball is pretty consistently fine too. :P

Hey guys, decided on getting more into the BSS scene since i love the 3v3 aspect to make competitions feel more balanced (and quicker) alongside not having to deal with kyurems and keldeos like in OU. However, i could use some help when it comes to team building since i am not too familiar with the format. I only have about 17 games in rn and I'm currently 13-4. I know i want to build around the offensive core of Mega Manectric and Gyarados. Here is there current setup

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Max EVs in SPA and Spe to ensure speed and strength when using volt switch and other offensive moves. Quite a bit of my success with the thunderdoge is thanks to predictions on switch ins and not getting greedy when it comes to getting set up. I chose manectric for my mega since he can escape a mega gengar, OR even straight up defeat it if necessary, provides pressure to kangaskahn with intimidate, and OHKOs mega Salamence. He also comes paired with more likely than not Gyarados

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Ice Fang

EVs set up for maximum stealth rock switch ins alongside max speed and attack for best possible sweep opportunities. I use lum berry over leftovers so that getting hit by a will o wisp or hypnosis or thunder wave doesn't actually cripple the beast when it uses DD. This combined with lightning rod little manectric provides a core that cover each other quite nicely (gyarados likes those ground types). I chose bounce for STAB bonus alongside being able to hit mega venusaur, bug types, and it gets around sucker punch shenanigans from the kang to boot. Waterfall for water STAB, and Ice fang for garchomp and other types that don't like to get the cold bite. Overall, changes that can be made more than likely is switching ice fang for earthquake, but on the team i was originally using, i had both landorus T and a heatran with earth power, so i felt it wasn't as necessary.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Protect

Next up i like to use Stall Heatran to help in the long games as well as being capable of trapping the bulky pokemon for as long as magma storm lasts. MS, Toxic, and Protect provide the opponent with no hope of escape if they don't switch out before the storm hits. Also fun things include spamming toxic for switch ins, earth power wrecks lots of pokemon surprisingly to me. And protect allows more turns of leftovers, toxic, and MS burns to build up. Making this a very fun build to use.

So now I am looking at what to include for the final 3 slots. As of RN, i have a special sweeper, a physical setup sweeper, and a special stall/special wall. more than likely i will need 2 wallbreakers for each type, as well as a physical wall. Any help for those slots are appreciated. as a reference of what i ran before, i ran the physically offensive stealth rock set for landorus t, physically defensive ferrothorn, and choice specs hydreigon. I found a glaring weakness to fighting type attacks.
Gyarados needs a Rock resist, and while Mega Manectric does resist Electric moves, it does not want to stay non-Mega for long and doesn't actually do much in return to opposing Electric mons bar Thundurus.
So honestly I would just throw Garchomp in there, as a Ground type it eats Rock and Electric all day while it can also broadly threaten a lot of Pokemon and sponge Thunder Wave. Gyarados + Chompy alone hit a fair bit of stuff, and while they struggle with offensive Thundurus, you have Manectric for that. As for the set, I'd run a pretty standard LO Swords Dance set and let it rip slower teams to pieces.

After that, well, not entirely sure, but Garchomp feels... right. xD

Hello I'm new to Smogon forums and I'm currently attempting to build a team for ORAS Battlespot singles,
I have had unsuccessful teams in the past, I have a core so far but need help/suggesting for a supporting cast:

Talonflame @ Liechi berry
Ability: Gale wings
Level 50
EV's: 44Hp/252Att/212Spe
-Swords dance
-Brave bird
-Flare blitz
-Natural gift
Offensive Talonflame designed to be flexible, my idea is to come in on something that can't hurt Talonflame and then
use swords dance, then either take on checks that switch in by surprise with natural gift like Rotom-W or Rhyperior
Or use a STAB attack, alternatively if health is lowered the Liechi berry also raises attack for one last ditch attack.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough skin
Level 50
EV's: 4Hp/252Att/252Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Dual chop
-Poison Jab
Choice band is used to maximize damage output, garchomp can take electric and rock attacks aimed at Talonflame and
deal with threats to Aegislash like Heatran, Bisharp and Mega Lopunny's fake out. poison jab is needed for teams with Azumarill
and more rarely Togekiss, with some luck it may poison targets granting some residual damage to make KO's easier.

Aegislash @ Weakness policy
Ability: Stance Change
Level 50
Ev's 252Hp/4Def/252SpA
Nature: Quiet
-King's shield
-Shadow ball
-Shadow sneak
-Sacred sword
A basic aegislash set, can easily come in on ice or rock type moves used against Talonflame and garchomp and hopefully hit back hard
with aegislash timing is everything, I may also try to bring aegislash in on weaker non-stab supereffective moves aimed at possible teamates.

Any ideas for possible teammates or a mega evolution to help this team is welcomed, or if anyone sees any problems with my team so far
feel free to critique them. I know I need ways to deal with status, a good mega to support this team, and probably counters to specific
threats I may not be aware of. Thanks to my responders in advance!

Hello I'm new to Smogon forums and I'm currently attempting to build a team for ORAS Battlespot singles,
I have had unsuccessful teams in the past, I have a core so far but need help/suggesting for a supporting cast:

Talonflame @ Liechi berry
Ability: Gale wings
Level 50
EV's: 44Hp/252Att/212Spe
-Swords dance
-Brave bird
-Flare blitz
-Natural gift
Offensive Talonflame designed to be flexible, my idea is to come in on something that can't hurt Talonflame and then
use swords dance, then either take on checks that switch in by surprise with natural gift like Rotom-W or Rhyperior
Or use a STAB attack, alternatively if health is lowered the Liechi berry also raises attack for one last ditch attack.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough skin
Level 50
EV's: 4Hp/252Att/252Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Dual chop
-Poison Jab
Choice band is used to maximize damage output, garchomp can take electric and rock attacks aimed at Talonflame and
deal with threats to Aegislash like Heatran, Bisharp and Mega Lopunny's fake out. poison jab is needed for teams with Azumarill
and more rarely Togekiss, with some luck it may poison targets granting some residual damage to make KO's easier.

Aegislash @ Weakness policy
Ability: Stance Change
Level 50
Ev's 252Hp/4Def/252SpA
Nature: Quiet
-King's shield
-Shadow ball
-Shadow sneak
-Sacred sword
A basic aegislash set, can easily come in on ice or rock type moves used against Talonflame and garchomp and hopefully hit back hard
with aegislash timing is everything, I may also try to bring aegislash in on weaker non-stab supereffective moves aimed at possible teamates.

Any ideas for possible teammates or a mega evolution to help this team is welcomed, or if anyone sees any problems with my team so far
feel free to critique them. I know I need ways to deal with status, a good mega to support this team, and probably counters to specific
threats I may not be aware of. Thanks to my responders in advance!
Liechi Talon is fun. I think the first set I ever ran on Talon bar in game ofc. Still, it is extremely hard to set up with something that uses so much that makes it take recoil and isn't even bulky to start. More bulk would be good I think. Spe doesn't really have to be so high. Right now you're above neutral Spe Mence, but the only thing you'd do vs that besides switch is a priority Brave Bird. idk what amount of Spe is good to run, since it's hard to judge how much Talon gets out of defensive evs with the recoil it eats. Still, i'd consider none and then put everything in HP(possibly some in a defense to be a little stronger on that side.) Even uninvested Talon outspeeds max base 80s, mainly good for Mamo to hit with NG Grass if it's not in BB range.

Garchomp looks good, except there isn't really any point to Dual Chop. It's pretty weak, and not even perfectly accurate. Sub breaking might seem appealing(and it is lol,) but Dual Chop doesn't really do a good job of that. Even non bulky Breloom has a chance to live it from full(62.5%% to ohko, good but far from a sure thing,) and forget about breaking subs from stuff like Gliscor and Whimsicott. Some things whose potential subs you could break, Thund, Rotom-H, etc., you really don't wanna be locked into Dual Chop against. With that in mind I think a rock move is best. Which one is largely team dependent. If your team is kind of slow and there's no para support Rock Tomb is good. If you do have para support Rock Slide becomes a more appealing option, tho it's good anyways for a possible flinch and better accuracy then Stone Edge. Stone Edge is strongest by quite a bit, and even has a higher crit rate, but 80 accuracy can be bad.

Aegi is very standard. Only small thing would be 4 SpD instead of 4 Def for Download, but if 4 Def lowers any significant chance to be ohkod or 2hkod by something then might as well keep it. P2 is the only common Downloader, and often is a bulkier set with Foul Play anyways.

One thing I see is a problem with Suicune. NG Grass from Talon at +2 only ohkos, same with CB Outrage. Both Talon and Chomp get hit very hard, tho they live any unboosted hit from 0 SpA Cune. Still, Rocky Helmet has gone up in popularity, and that makes them even worse. Aegi is really just set up fodder for cms, and Sacred Sword doesn't do nearly enough even before a burn.

I like to run a grass mon on every team, mainly to switc in on Spre from Loom. They also have to be able to take any other hit in the event it predicts and uses another move. There are some good grass types for beating Cune, and they also hurt Rotom-W a lot which seems important. Hippowdon is also very dangerous for you, which is another reason to run something like Whimsicott or Amoongus(kinda a weird mon in bss, but I like it. I use physically bulky EVs, albeit with a Calm nature and 248 Def for HP Ice IV drop. Troubles Chomp and Lando-T, and has a good chance to avoid an ohko from even +4 SpA Cune's Ice Beam, then wipes boosts with Clear Smog.) Whimsicott can switch in on Cune using Rest or CM and Encore it. It can do the same to Hipppo, Encoring Stealth Rock, EQ, or Slack Off. As its main niche Encore is pretty predictable, but it can at the very least force a switch, and often that won't be a good idea for the oppe eithr. There's also mind games where they predict you predicting them...and it can do pretty well vs Thund due to outspeeding if you run a lot of Spe(I don't think there's much point to mostly bulk instead since Whimsi still dies pretty quick, and is often behind a sub anyways.)

Kang is always pretty tough for you. In particular it beats both of the grass mons mentioned(you could also try Serperior, but you have to be a little more careful with Cune's Ice Beam.) Chomp actually has a low chance to ohko even not bulky ones with Outrage from full, and +2 BB from Talon isn't ever enough vs bulky ones that are full-and you obviously can't set SD on them. Aegi ohkos most variants and even bulky ones half the time at +2, but WP is expected so they'll likely play around that by softening you up for a potential EQ beforehand, if you're not in range of it already.

So some stuff to deal with Kang and Cune better. There's always more if you look hard enough, but I think those are two of the main things. Ice coverage is nice, especially for Chomp. CB kills Aegi, Spe ties, sash, and Scarf beat your Chomp, ands pretty much all of them beat Talon. Thund is dangerous, and so is Mence I think. Rotom-H is worth looking out for too, especially if you keep Dual Chop or use Fire Fang on Chomp.

Liechi Talon is fun. I think the first set I ever ran on Talon bar in game ofc. Still, it is extremely hard to set up with something that uses so much that makes it take recoil and isn't even bulky to start. More bulk would be good I think. Spe doesn't really have to be so high. Right now you're above neutral Spe Mence, but the only thing you'd do vs that besides switch is a priority Brave Bird. idk what amount of Spe is good to run, since it's hard to judge how much Talon gets out of defensive evs with the recoil it eats. Still, i'd consider none and then put everything in HP(possibly some in a defense to be a little stronger on that side.) Even uninvested Talon outspeeds max base 80s, mainly good for Mamo to hit with NG Grass if it's not in BB range.

Garchomp looks good, except there isn't really any point to Dual Chop. It's pretty weak, and not even perfectly accurate. Sub breaking might seem appealing(and it is lol,) but Dual Chop doesn't really do a good job of that. Even non bulky Breloom has a chance to live it from full(62.5%% to ohko, good but far from a sure thing,) and forget about breaking subs from stuff like Gliscor and Whimsicott. Some things whose potential subs you could break, Thund, Rotom-H, etc., you really don't wanna be locked into Dual Chop against. With that in mind I think a rock move is best. Which one is largely team dependent. If your team is kind of slow and there's no para support Rock Tomb is good. If you do have para support Rock Slide becomes a more appealing option, tho it's good anyways for a possible flinch and better accuracy then Stone Edge. Stone Edge is strongest by quite a bit, and even has a higher crit rate, but 80 accuracy can be bad.

Aegi is very standard. Only small thing would be 4 SpD instead of 4 Def for Download, but if 4 Def lowers any significant chance to be ohkod or 2hkod by something then might as well keep it. P2 is the only common Downloader, and often is a bulkier set with Foul Play anyways.

One thing I see is a problem with Suicune. NG Grass from Talon at +2 only ohkos, same with CB Outrage. Both Talon and Chomp get hit very hard, tho they live any unboosted hit from 0 SpA Cune. Still, Rocky Helmet has gone up in popularity, and that makes them even worse. Aegi is really just set up fodder for cms, and Sacred Sword doesn't do nearly enough even before a burn.

I like to run a grass mon on every team, mainly to switc in on Spre from Loom. They also have to be able to take any other hit in the event it predicts and uses another move. There are some good grass types for beating Cune, and they also hurt Rotom-W a lot which seems important. Hippowdon is also very dangerous for you, which is another reason to run something like Whimsicott or Amoongus(kinda a weird mon in bss, but I like it. I use physically bulky EVs, albeit with a Calm nature and 248 Def for HP Ice IV drop. Troubles Chomp and Lando-T, and has a good chance to avoid an ohko from even +4 SpA Cune's Ice Beam, then wipes boosts with Clear Smog.) Whimsicott can switch in on Cune using Rest or CM and Encore it. It can do the same to Hipppo, Encoring Stealth Rock, EQ, or Slack Off. As its main niche Encore is pretty predictable, but it can at the very least force a switch, and often that won't be a good idea for the oppe eithr. There's also mind games where they predict you predicting them...and it can do pretty well vs Thund due to outspeeding if you run a lot of Spe(I don't think there's much point to mostly bulk instead since Whimsi still dies pretty quick, and is often behind a sub anyways.)

Kang is always pretty tough for you. In particular it beats both of the grass mons mentioned(you could also try Serperior, but you have to be a little more careful with Cune's Ice Beam.) Chomp actually has a low chance to ohko even not bulky ones with Outrage from full, and +2 BB from Talon isn't ever enough vs bulky ones that are full-and you obviously can't set SD on them. Aegi ohkos most variants and even bulky ones half the time at +2, but WP is expected so they'll likely play around that by softening you up for a potential EQ beforehand, if you're not in range of it already.

So some stuff to deal with Kang and Cune better. There's always more if you look hard enough, but I think those are two of the main things. Ice coverage is nice, especially for Chomp. CB kills Aegi, Spe ties, sash, and Scarf beat your Chomp, ands pretty much all of them beat Talon. Thund is dangerous, and so is Mence I think. Rotom-H is worth looking out for too, especially if you keep Dual Chop or use Fire Fang on Chomp.
Yes I can see the need for a grass type too. I am actually closely considering a stall variant Whimsicott, with Leech seed + substitute + Encore (substitute helps predict switch outs from encore), I may even forego leech seed in favor of Taunt although, whimsicott is nice as a fairy type can always switch in on outrages aimed at Chomp and set up. Serperior is also tempting since he also outspeeds Kang and has more offensive presence, though Kang will feel free to use fake out without the risk of being encored. Amoonguss could really make things interesting, clear smog would prevent setups, and it would also act as my physical wall.

I can no longer see a need to run Dual chop, Stone edge should be used not only for Rotom-H but also other bulky fire threats that may run Air balloon like Heatran.

For ice coverage i can see two real options either Weavile or Mamo. weavile is fast and has fake out for sashes and Mamo has icicle spear, both also have priority ice shard for scarf chomp.

Perhaps a fighting type mega should fill the last slot on my team? possibly Mega Lopunny or Lucario? Or would Mega Gengar actually fit better with this team? Thanks for responding.

I am a guy who grew up on red, blue, gold, and silver and started playing Pokemon Go. It was great and really gave me the itch to play Pokemon again (best marketing strategy ever). So I bought a DS and Alpha Sapphire, and I am really wanting to start playing competitively in Pokemon. After a lot of research I decided it would be easiest and best to just start off on Battle Spot Singles for now until SuMo comes out and I have to relearn everything again (I am playing on cartridge and breeding my Pokemon so that may make some decisions for me as far as perfect legendaries and things of the like). So I need help making a team and would love any and all constructive criticism. So far I have;

(I used the smogon Dex to make and understand these builds and hopefully synergy)

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

My idea for Garchomp is to just be a heavy hitting beefy revenge killer and protecting Azumarill on electric switch ins.

Gengar - Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

This is a beefy trapper Gengar. I think I will bring him in to possibly finish off a Pokemon or just take on out and then use destiny bond to make sure I get two kills with this one Pokemon.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower (No idea on this last move)

Azumarill will be used to switch in for Gengar with certain weaknesses and to be another hard hitter. I know most of these descriptions are not too fleshed out, but thats why I really want to just finish a team so I can get in a lot of battles and learn from playing and not just reading.

So those are the ideas I have. I have been trying to read, watch videos and learn as much as possible, but I am getting stuck and don't want to get too far down the road on a team and realize it is bad. So tear this up and help me get better! Thanks!

Last edited:
First of all, I definately need a strong ground physical attacker (Garchomp/Donphan Maybe), cleric (I was thinking Florges) and the other slot is open, a rapid spinner or a entry hazard user? Or maybe a bulky Pokemon.

Tell me what you think, and help me build the Rest of my team:

Greninja
Protean
EVs: 252 Sp Atk 252 Spd
Item: ?
Moves:
Surf
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Dark Pulse

Charizard
Ability: Blaze (Drought, with mega evo)
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 100 Spd, 150 HP
Item: Charzardite Y
Moves:
Roost
flamethrower
Solar Beam
Dragon Pulse

Klefki:
Ability: Prankster
Item: ?
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Def, 130 Sp Def
Moves:
Swagger
Thunder Wave
Substitute
Foul Play

that's my team so far, what do you think?
btw I've won battles with just klefki and made many people rage quit xD

I am a guy who grew up on red, blue, gold, and silver and started playing Pokemon Go. It was great and really gave me the itch to play Pokemon again (best marketing strategy ever). So I bought a DS and Alpha Sapphire, and I am really wanting to start playing competitively in Pokemon. After a lot of research I decided it would be easiest and best to just start off on Battle Spot Singles for now until SuMo comes out and I have to relearn everything again (I am playing on cartridge and breeding my Pokemon so that may make some decisions for me as far as perfect legendaries and things of the like). So I need help making a team and would love any and all constructive criticism. So far I have;

(I used the smogon Dex to make and understand these builds and hopefully synergy)

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

My idea for Garchomp is to just be a heavy hitting beefy revenge killer and protecting Azumarill on electric switch ins.

Gengar - Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

This is a beefy trapper Gengar. I think I will bring him in to possibly finish off a Pokemon or just take on out and then use destiny bond to make sure I get two kills with this one Pokemon.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower (No idea on this last move)

Azumarill will be used to switch in for Gengar with certain weaknesses and to be another hard hitter. I know most of these descriptions are not too fleshed out, but thats why I really want to just finish a team so I can get in a lot of battles and learn from playing and not just reading.

So those are the ideas I have. I have been trying to read, watch videos and learn as much as possible, but I am getting stuck and don't want to get too far down the road on a team and realize it is bad. So tear this up and help me get better! Thanks!
Garchomp:
I don't really think you need two dragon moves, you have to choose between all out power and a reliable move. I'd replace Outrage/Dragon Claw with a cover move like fire fang, or if you choose Dragon Claw you could maybe put in stealth rock, unless you want an all out sweeper.

Gengar:
Personally have no experience, looks good I guess

Azumarril
Favorite Pokemon XD
Anyway for that last move slot, I'd replace super power with bulldoze. Bulldoze gives nice coverage for stuff it normally couldn't hit, and gives a nice speed lower so it might be able to outspeed some Pokemon.

As for more Pokemon, possibly a staller or a tank? Entry hazard user maybe? As for staller, umbreon is always good, klefki is sooooo fun to use (see my build) you also may want a nice cleric like Florges or Sylveon, but whatever you think, those are all just suggestions.

Also rate my team please I'm lost xD

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)