Battle Spot Doubles Sample Teams

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
You asked for Perish Trap, so here is some Perish Trap. I also included one of my teams because Wynaut and it's also pretty cool :)

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Disable
- Shadow Ball

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 140 HP / 180 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Spore
- Giga Drain

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 164 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 2 Spe
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse
- Psychic

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 220 HP / 172 Def / 4 SpA / 92 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Encore

Arcanine @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Overheat

This is Wolfe Glick's Perish Trap team that he used to win a Regional Championship somewhere. The way Perish Trap functions in most matches is by having Gengar use Perish Song turn 1 while its ally redirects damage or uses Fake Out on the opponent, then using a combination of Protect and switching bewteen Shadow Tag users to keep the opponent in so Perish Song can knock out both Pokemon. Once the first two Pokemon go down, use Perish Song again on he remaining two Pokemon and stall once again, and provided you have more than 2 Pokemon left you should be able to win with the same Protect spam combined with the team's general bulk. Mega Gengar and Gothitelle are the most important Pokemon in the first stretch of the game as they keep your opponent from switching, so they must be preserved however possible. Gothitelle is much bulkier than Gengar and doesn't have a Perish Song of its own, so generally you can let it tank a few hits. The rest of the Pokemon support this strategy in various ways, Scrafty can stall for turns or help an ally get up a Perish Song with Fake Out, while the Intimidate support it provides makes your Shadow Tag users much harder to KO. Amoonguss is great at stalling for turns by putting opponents to sleep with Spore, and can also use Rage Powder to protect your Shadow Tag Pokemon. Eject Button makes for an interesting choice on Amoonguss, but it allows you to switch out one of your Shadow Tag users, tank a predicted attack and switch back in the same turn, making it easier to keep your Shadow Tag Pokemon alive. Politoed is a second Perish Song user who also has access to Encore, which when combined with Gengar's Disable is incredibly potent when stalling for turns. Lastly, Arcanine has Intimidate, Will-O-Wisp and Snarl to weaken opposing attackers as much as possible to ensure your Pokemon stay alive as long as needed. This team is very difficult to use, so if you're new to the format I'd recommend trying something else first. If you can manage it correctly though, this team is incredibly powerful and can win even against skilled opponents. Things to watch out for are Ghost types, who can ignore Shadow Tag entirely and threaten both Gengar and Gothitelle, and also U-turn/Volt Switch Pokemon that can also pivot out. Sorry for the lack of specificity about the EV spreads, I didn't make most of them so I don't really know what specific benchmarks they're built around but they're all quite bulky.

Not A Real Dragon (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Charizard-X is something I'd tried before with a Dragon Dance set, but it ended up dying to quickly. This set on the other hand can stick around for quite some time thanks to decent bulk and Will-O-Wisp to cripple attackers. I decided to run both STAB attacks so Charizard would be a threat outside of just burning things, Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz hit fairly hard even with little investment and have neutral coverage on almost everything in the game, the notable exception being Heatran. Will-O-Wisp is the defining move of the set and lures Physical attackers that would prey on Charizard-Y and cripples them. Protect is Protect, but if you're Protecting Charizard and it hasn't mega evolved yet, don't do so until you're attacking or using WoW to keep up the illusion that it's Y. The EV spread balances bulk and power very nicely, it survives an Adamant Landorus's Earthquake (assuming spread damage) and a Kangaskhan's Double Edge while being able to 1HKO Amoonguss almost all of the time, as well as Aegislash and many Mega Gardevoir. I opted for max Speed to tie with opposing Kangaskhan at worst and outspeed all non-Scarf Landorus.

Meme (Swampert) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Wide Guard

Swampert does an excellent job of protecting Charizard from the spread moves it hates, and it also beats Double Genies and Heatran for Charizard. Scald isn't used super often but STAB and a decent burn chance make it useful on occasion. Earth Power hits Heatran and Aegislash very hard, often being able to underspeed the latter and hit it in Blade form. Ice Beam deals with the Genies and the various Dragon Pokemon in the metagame. Wide Guard is crucial for supporting Charizard and is always a good move to have on a team. The EV spread was stolen from a Nugget Bridge report but it's essentially a slightly fancier version of max HP max Special Attack. Expert Belt increases Swampert's damage output against most relevant threats without compromising its decent bulk.

Thorny Bastard (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 84 Def / 72 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn quickly became one of my favorite Pokemon in VGC 15, it checks Rain very efficiently and is an incredible Pokemon late game, with Leech Seed, Leftovers and its decent bulk, Ferrothorn is a potent win condition against teams with only one answer to it. Power Whip hits the Water types that would give Charizard and Swampert issues, though it does fail to 1HKO most of them because of Ferrothorn's low Attack stat. Gyro Ball hits Fairy types for superffective damage, but scores a solid hit against many faster Pokemon because of Ferrothorn's low Speed. Leech Seed is what enables Ferrothorn to win games, it gets a large amount of recovery (especially if both Pokemon are seeded) and can essentially go back to full HP with the combination of Leech Seed, Leftovers and Protect, and can still tank attacks with its great bulk. The EV spread ensures Ferrothorn lives a Terrakion's Close Combat from full, and is able to KO most Mega Gardevoir. The rest was put into Special Defence to help deal with Rain. I opted for Leftovers over Lum Berry because in most endgame situations a burn doesn't matter due to Leech Seed recovery, and Leftovers's additional recovery has been helpful in the past.

FlinchFlinchFlinch (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 116 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Landorus is a solid Pokemon on any VGC team, here the Intimidate support is much appreciated, as is the ability to check Sun. Superpower is pretty much only there to hit Kangaskhan, but given how relevant a target that is it's worth the move slot. Rock Slide is incredibly skillful with a 30% chance to flicnh and gets the KO on Talonflame and less bulky Charizard-Y. Earthquake hits Heatran specifically but does quite a bit to most neutral targets. U-turn is great for Intimidate shuffling and gaining momentum on predicted switches, and can do a nice amount of damage to Cresselia. The EV spread lives an Overheat from Charizard-Y in Sun most of the time and a +1 Sucker Punch from Adamant LO Bisharp. It outspeeds neutral natured base 100s and everything slower, with the remaining EVs placed in Attack.

LOUD NOISES (Sylveon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Def / 248 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Helping Hand
- Protect

The main offensive muscle of the team, Sylveon's Hyper Voice is absurdly strong and it can help teammates net KOs with Helping Hand. Hyper Voice is pretty much the reason to use Sylveon, it does a huge amount of damage to neutral targets and KOs pretty much anything weak to it. Hyper Voice is also the team's best answer to bulky Fighting types that give many of the other members trouble. Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran very hard and can do a decent amount to Aegislash, otherwise it doesn't hit much. Helping Hand can allow a teammate to get an important KO in a pinch, though often spamming Hyper Voice has the same effect. The EV spread is the one used by Aaron Zheng with slightly more Speed, the extra bulk may be contradictory with Life Orb but it often is needed and the EVs wouldn't be put to great use anywhere else.

RNGesus (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 84 SpA / 52 SpD / 76 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Thundurus, in my opinion, is the most solid Pokemon in the VGC 2015 metagame given how much utility it provides on any given team. Thunderbolt is a given on Thundurus, it gives another option for hitting bulky Water types like Suicune and hits Charizard-Y and Talonflame as well. Hidden Power Ice has great coverage with Thunderbolt and lets Thundurus do a lot of damage to Landorus and Mega Salamence. Thunder Wave is the team's Speed control, and has that delicious 25% chance to paralyze which can end up winning games, especially paired with Landorus's Rock Slide. Taunt shuts down Amoonguss, non Mental Herb Trick Room setters and other shenanigans. The EV spread survives an Adamant Kangaskhan Double-Edge and an Adamant Landorus-T Stone Edge, and a Timid Charizard-Y Flamethrower. The Speed outspeeds Smeargle with 1 point of creep and the rest was put into Special Attack.

So a little thing I like to do before Worlds each year is build a team that I think would do well at Worlds itself based on team matchup alone, and what resulted this year is arguably the most solid team I've ever built that isn't some variant of CHALK. I knew I wanted to build a much more balanced team than my Rain team to ease predictions and switching. I didn't really have a solid start to the team until I was reading some stuff on the OU forum and saw things about a Defensive Charizard-X set with Will-O-Wisp, which seemed like an interesting lure to non-Scarf Landorus and Kangaskhan. I built a FWG core around it, with Sylveon to give the tam some offensive presence and Double Genies to improve my matchup against the entire metagame. Generally when using this team it's important to identify which Pokemon will be able to do the most damage to the opposing team and base plays around keeping that Pokemon around while crippling opposing Pokemon in any way possible, be it through a burn or a large amount of damage. This team has a very solid matchup against most threats in the metagame, the one notable thing that can be hard to deal with is strong offensive Fire types, but those can be beaten with smart plays. This team is admittedly quite tech oriented, so it's also not the best team to start with but if you've got a decent grasp on the metagame and want to try something a little different then give this a shot.

Wow, that sounds cool. What is Japanese sand exactly. I have a funny feeling I'm already using in my Black 2 just for funzees. Its Tyranitar, Landorus, Excadrill + filler, isn't it?? Probably a, Ferrothorn in their somewheres?

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Wow, that sounds cool. What is Japanese sand exactly. I have a funny feeling I'm already using in my Black 2 just for funzees. Its Tyranitar, Landorus, Excadrill + filler, isn't it?? Probably a, Ferrothorn in their somewheres?
This team that Cybertron used for Vgc 15 nationals is based off the Japan Sand team. The original team had Excadrill>Tyranitar and Assault Vest Azumarill>Rotom-W. There is probably an article for the original team but I'm too lazy to look for it :P

Ahh! Sounds good. Btw, this is Sam VGC's team in question that I was talking about earlier

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Protect
- Magic Coat

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 220 HP / 212 Def / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Protect

Lots of solid mons here. Really love the use of Redirection and Stat Boost with Gyrados and Amoongus. Double Genies is sweet, too!

Here's the original Japan Sand:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Assurance
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 236 HP / 132 Def / 140 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Been on vacation all week; work's going to murder my free time in response. Will catch up with everything as possible.
Japan Sand is TTar (usually Scarf) + Excadrill (LO, sometimes Sash) + Mega Salamence / Mega Gardevoir if anyone is still confused. Last three members are usually some mix of Amoonguss, Azumarill, Aegislash, Thundurus, Landorus, Ferrothorn, and Terrakion.

Hey ProjectTitan13 is there a viable replacement for Togekiss on your Elemental Pledges team?
You could use Clefable or Clefairy. The basic point of Togekiss is Redirection support, Dragon coverage, and Speed control. A Clefable running Moonblast / Protect / Follow Me / Icy Wind and Sitrus Berry should do 95% of the same work. Only reason I myself did not run Clefable/Clefairy is because I wanted Tailwind specifically for a quicker Speed buff than Icy Wind since the whole team is painfully slow. Clefable could also run Thunder Wave.

Mega Venusaur is really bad in the current meta though. Mence / Gardevoir / Khan are on virtually every team, and the Pledge core team really struggles against a decently supported MegaMence.

edit: OP updated, added in the three teams above. Post had to be split into part 1 / part 2. Part 2 added to OP.

Last edited:
This is the team i used Post-Nationals during 2015, and recently ive been playing on the battle spot doubles ladder to get away from VGC16 a little. The team is currently 1,610 on the showdown ladder with a GXE of 90.4% and it has peaked at 1,920 on the ingame ladder.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Firstly, lets talk about the teams mega pokemon and crown jewel Gardevoir.

Gardevoir here is the teams designated dragonslayer and check to pokemon like amoonguss, conkeldurr and to a degree thundurus-I. And along with 2 other next pokemon it forms the teams rain checking trifecta. The EV spread and nature choice will probably look weird to most players but the spread here lets this Gardevoir live a double edge from a jolly Mega Salamence 100% of the time and Mega Kangaskhan only has a small chance to get the OHKO. 36 spatk investment is enough to get the OHKO on most Mega Salamence and the 36 speed outspeeds the neutral nature base 70 pokemon namely Bisharp.

Now onto the moveset Hyper Voice for the obvious STAB and spread damage, Psychic is there to hit pokemon like amoonguss and fighting types also it can be used to get around wide guard pokemon while dealing some damage. Energy Ball was chosen as a backup for hitting pokemon like Mega Swampert and Gastrodon just in case the matchup didnt favour virizion too well. And Protect is Protect :)

Virizion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect

The next pokemon on the team is Virizion.

Virizion here is the teams main way of dealing with Mega Kangaskhan and it also forms part of the rain checking trifecta.

The ev spread here is a simple 4/252/252 so Virizion can hit hard and fast. The Expert Belt was chosen as the item since a boosting item is required to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan with Close Combat and the Life Orb was taken up already. The moveset is a standard one, Leaf Blade for the Grass STAB, Close Combat for Fighting STAB and Stone Edge for coverage against pokemon like Thundurus and Mega Charizard-Y.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Next up we have Aegislash.

Aegislash here was the teams designated Fairy Counter and a secondary check to Mega Kangaskhan. It is also here to help check Calm Mind Cresselias since it can pretty much 1v4 a battle if left alone.

The EV spread was generally designed around the Life Orb which Aegislash is holding, 188 HP investment hits a stat of 159 which lets aegislash avoid taking 16 hp in recoil per attack. Max special attack is for hitting as hard as possible and the 60 speed investment was for creeping pokemon around aegislash's speed tier mainly sylveon and opposing aegislash.

The moveset is generally a standard one outside of Hidden Power Ice. King's Shield so Aegislash can actually use its Stance Change ability. Shadow Ball for Ghost STAB, Flash Cannon for Steel STAB and hidden power ice was a backup way to hit pokemon like Garchomp and Landorus-Therian.

Thundurus @ Yache Berry
EVs: 212 HP / 116 Def / 60 SpA / 20 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Taunt

The next pokemon on the team is Thundurus-Incarnate.

Thundurus is the teams check to gimmicky/memeish strategies namely minimize and smeargle's dark void spam it also forms the last part of the teams rain checking trifecta it is also one of the teams main forms of speed control with thunder wave.

The EV spread lets this thundurus avoid the 2HKO from Landorus-Therian Rock Slides if they dont have a boosting item. The 100 speed investment is mainly for creeping other thundurus but it also outspeeds max speed Landorus-Therian so i can use Thundurus as a speed checker to see if a landorus is choice scarfed.

The moveset is pretty standard Thunder Wave for the Prankster abusing speed control, Thunderbolt for Electric STAB, Taunt for halting gimmicks/set up strategies and Protect since thundurus is generally a prime target for Fake Outs and double targets.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 212 HP / 60 Def / 156 SpA / 60 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Next up we have my favourite bulky water type, Suicune

Suicune was the teams designated Landorus-Therian Check and speed control user it also helps against pokemon like Heatran, Terrakion, Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross and the general Sand Teams.

The ev spread has quite a lot going on under all of the numbers. The 212 HP investment lets the sitrus berry activate if Suicune gets hit by a Super Fang mainly from pokemon like Crobat and potentially Scrafty. The 156 Sp Attack investment was to make sure this Suicune could OHKO some of the bulkier non-AV Landorus-Therian's with Ice Beam and get the 2HKO's on common Heatran with Scald. And the 20 speed lets Suicune outspeed Adamant Scarf Landorus-Therian in Tailwind.

The moveset is pretty standard Scald for Water STAB damage and the potential for burns, Ice Beam for coverage against Landorus-Therian, Mega Salamence and Grass Types like Amoonguss and Venusaur.
Tailwind was the teams main speed control option and protect to stop Suicune getting double targeted.

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off
- Superpower

And finally we have Landorus-Therian.

Landorus here was the teams designated Mega Charizard-Y check, Intimidator and it also acts as a check to Heatran, Mega Mawile, Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan.

The EV spread is a simple 4/252/252 one so Landorus-T can hit as hard and as fast as possible. The moveset is relatively standard Earthquake for Ground STAB, Knock Off to hit Ghost pokemon like Aegislash and Gengar while getting around wide guard. Superpower for hitting Mega Kangaskhan and other fighting weak pokemon and Rock Tomb was used mainly for hitting Mega Charizard-Y while avoiding Wide Guard from some of its common partners namely Aegislash and sometimes Conkeldurr it also acts as a form of speed control should a game call for it.

And the Assault Vest was chosen to help landorus take special attacks in general a little better. It also lets Landorus live Hidden power Ice's from thundurus and the weaker ice beams from pokemon like Suicune and Cresselia.

Last edited:
This is the team i used Post-Nationals during 2015, and recently ive been playing on the battle spot doubles ladder to get away from VGC16 a little. The team is currently 1,610 on the showdown ladder with a GXE of 90.4% and it has peaked at 1,920 on the ingame ladder.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Firstly, lets talk about the teams mega pokemon and crown jewel Gardevoir.

Gardevoir here is the teams designated dragonslayer and check to pokemon like amoonguss, conkeldurr and to a degree thundurus-I. And along with 2 other next pokemon it forms the teams rain checking trifecta. The EV spread and nature choice will probably look weird to most players but the spread here lets this Gardevoir live a double edge from a jolly Mega Salamence 100% of the time and Mega Kangaskhan only has a small chance to get the OHKO. 36 spatk investment is enough to get the OHKO on most Mega Salamence and the 36 speed outspeeds the neutral nature base 70 pokemon namely Bisharp.

Now onto the moveset Hyper Voice for the obvious STAB and spread damage, Psychic is there to hit pokemon like amoonguss and fighting types also it can be used to get around wide guard pokemon while dealing some damage. Energy Ball was chosen as a backup for hitting pokemon like Mega Swampert and Gastrodon just in case the matchup didnt favour virizion too well. And Protect is Protect :)

Virizion @ Expert Belt
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect

The next pokemon on the team is Virizion.

Virizion here is the teams main way of dealing with Mega Kangaskhan and it also forms part of the rain checking trifecta.

The ev spread here is a simple 4/252/252 so Virizion can hit hard and fast. The Expert Belt was chosen as the item since a boosting item is required to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan with Close Combat and the Life Orb was taken up already. The moveset is a standard one, Leaf Blade for the Grass STAB, Close Combat for Fighting STAB and Stone Edge for coverage against pokemon like Thundurus and Mega Charizard-Y.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Next up we have Aegislash.

Aegislash here was the teams designated Fairy Counter and a secondary check to Mega Kangaskhan. It is also here to help check Calm Mind Cresselias since it can pretty much 1v4 a battle if left alone.

The EV spread was generally designed around the Life Orb which Aegislash is holding, 188 HP investment hits a stat of 159 which lets aegislash avoid taking 16 hp in recoil per attack. Max special attack is for hitting as hard as possible and the 60 speed investment was for creeping pokemon around aegislash's speed tier mainly sylveon and opposing aegislash.

The moveset is generally a standard one outside of Hidden Power Ice. King's Shield so Aegislash can actually use its Stance Change ability. Shadow Ball for Ghost STAB, Flash Cannon for Steel STAB and hidden power ice was a backup way to hit pokemon like Garchomp and Landorus-Therian.

Thundurus @ Yache Berry
EVs: 212 HP / 116 Def / 60 SpA / 20 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Taunt

The next pokemon on the team is Thundurus-Incarnate.

Thundurus is the teams check to gimmicky/memeish strategies namely minimize and smeargle's dark void spam it also forms the last part of the teams rain checking trifecta it is also one of the teams main forms of speed control with thunder wave.

The EV spread lets this thundurus avoid the 2HKO from Landorus-Therian Rock Slides if they dont have a boosting item. The 100 speed investment is mainly for creeping other thundurus but it also outspeeds max speed Landorus-Therian so i can use Thundurus as a speed checker to see if a landorus is choice scarfed.

The moveset is pretty standard Thunder Wave for the Prankster abusing speed control, Thunderbolt for Electric STAB, Taunt for halting gimmicks/set up strategies and Protect since thundurus is generally a prime target for Fake Outs and double targets.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 212 HP / 60 Def / 156 SpA / 60 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Next up we have my favourite bulky water type, Suicune

Suicune was the teams designated Landorus-Therian Check and speed control user it also helps against pokemon like Heatran, Terrakion, Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross and the general Sand Teams.

The ev spread has quite a lot going on under all of the numbers. The 212 HP investment lets the sitrus berry activate if Suicune gets hit by a Super Fang mainly from pokemon like Crobat and potentially Scrafty. The 156 Sp Attack investment was to make sure this Suicune could OHKO some of the bulkier non-AV Landorus-Therian's with Ice Beam and get the 2HKO's on common Heatran with Scald. And the 20 speed lets Suicune outspeed Adamant Scarf Landorus-Therian in Tailwind.

The moveset is pretty standard Scald for Water STAB damage and the potential for burns, Ice Beam for coverage against Landorus-Therian, Mega Salamence and Grass Types like Amoonguss and Venusaur.
Tailwind was the teams main speed control option and protect to stop Suicune getting double targeted.

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off
- Superpower

And finally we have Landorus-Therian.

Landorus here was the teams designated Mega Charizard-Y check, Intimidator and it also acts as a check to Heatran, Mega Mawile, Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan.

The EV spread is a simple 4/252/252 one so Landorus-T can hit as hard and as fast as possible. The moveset is relatively standard Earthquake for Ground STAB, Knock Off to hit Ghost pokemon like Aegislash and Gengar while getting around wide guard. Superpower for hitting Mega Kangaskhan and other fighting weak pokemon and Rock Tomb was used mainly for hitting Mega Charizard-Y while avoiding Wide Guard from some of its common partners namely Aegislash and sometimes Conkeldurr it also acts as a form of speed control should a game call for it.

And the Assault Vest was chosen to help landorus take special attacks in general a little better. It also lets Landorus live Hidden power Ice's from thundurus and the weaker ice beams from pokemon like Suicune and Cresselia.
1920? Damn son. I'm sitting here at 1698 as a lifetime peak. LOL

Solid team though. Virizion's a really fun mon and a welcome sight on a high ranked team like that. It's so damn good against basically all weather. :P
Guess I could swap mine to Expert Belt, but I would miss the oomph on neutral Close Combat.
Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur especially would be such a bitch for this team though. How do you handle Amoonguss? Taunt and Gardevoir 2HKO?

Adding in the team, obvs, huge thanks for sharing.

Similar to an old team in the first post, but posting this update since it's doing much better; shared it with 2 people by PM so may as well publicate.
Super-simple, balanced team with a lot of synergy for beginning players. Just pick it up and kill shit with it, has its faults ("Cresselia used Trick Room!" "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-") but pretty good overall; kinda like a noob tube.

Metagross @ Mega
Jolly, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Clear Body -> Tough Claws

- Iron Head
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Azumarill @ Mystic Water
Adamant, 212 HP, 252 Atk, 44 Speed.
Ability: Huge Power

- Waterfall
- Protect
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Modest, 4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Levitate

- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Thundurus-I @ Sitrus Berry
Timid, 252 HP, 120 Def, 108 Sp. Def, 28 Speed

- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- HP Ice

Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly, 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Speed

- Leaf Blade
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Bold, 252 HP, 148 Def, 36 Sp. Atk, 12 Sp. Def, 60 Speed

- Flamethrower
- Morning Sun
- WoW
- Snarl

Metagross was the team's first mon to build around; after some theory and a lot of testing I've established that Metagross + Azumarill + Hydreigon was a fantastic and beautifully simple core, that laid outside the omnipresent cores of CHALK, Standard Rain, and Japan Sand to add some fresh air.
The team is a picture-perfect "Goodstuffs": no reliance on setup at all, and has a generally positive matchup against common archetypes while not really giving a shit about any form of Weather.

Metagross is very strong against Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and Gardevoir, while also offering formidable battlefield presence in most situations by virtue of high Speed, sheer bulk, great power, and even has a sprinkle of flinch spam to win matches you have no business winning. Weaknesses to Dark, Ground, Fire, and Ghost to a smaller extent are painful, but a solid list of resistances really help out your type chart. Set is very simple: Max Speed, max power, STABs + Protect because it's Doubles, and fo the 4th slot we have the "common but for some reason surprises people" Ice Punch that Metagross has used since Gen 3 to crush Salamence, Landorus-T, Thundurus, and many other random foes with an Ice weakness.

Hydreigon is also very straightforward and simple: Go fast, smash shit with raw power and excellent coverage, while also checking off all of Metagross' weaknesses and 90% of its checks. Hydreigon acts as our softener, revenge killer, and general check to just about anything that isn't a Fairy type. Dark Pulse is the best move in 95% of cases, while Fire Blast is specifically used as an extra check to Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Scizor, non-Mega Venusaur, and a few others. Draco Meteor is used to smoke opposing Dragons that Metagross doesn't want to bother with (Garchomp, Fire Blast MegaMence, Hydreigon, Scarf Haxorus) and emergency "I need THAT dead, right now" moments. Earth Power should be used sparingly, as a choice-locked EP is very easy to abuse thanks to a large number of common immunities. Threats like Gengar (Sash, Mega, whatevs), Aegislash, Cresselia, Heatran, Rotom-H, Rotom-W, and more are removed for Metagross to clean house; Metagross supports by absolutely murdering every Fairy in the game for Hydra, along with support against Dragons, as well as smashing bulky Fighting types such as Conkeldurr.

Azumarill acts as a switch option for both of the above: it resists Fire and Dark for Metagross, and Fighting/Ice/Bug for Hydreigon. It's a bit of an odd moveset, I admit, but works very well. Belly Drum doesn't work on a team with no Fake Out / Redirection support whatsoever. The little blue bunny completes our Dragon/Steel/Fairy core, adding an extra layer of doom for Heatran, Conkeldurr, Landorus-T, Scrafty (very big threat to HydraGross), and generally just smashes into everything not named Ferrothorn or Amoonguss very hard. Waterfall is the main STAB, while Aqua Jet is adept at finishing off Sashes or those bastards that randomly live with 10% HP. Waterfall + AJ is a nice 1-2 punch to remove a lot of HP from anything lacking a resistance or very strong Defense. Opposing Rain teams make Azumarill excessively dangerous as well. Protect keeps Azumarill safe while its faster teamates remove dangerous foes like Thundurus. Play Rough is weaker than Waterfall (very important to note on neutral hits like cresselia) and prone to missing at crucial moments, but bites into common Water resists like Politoed hard while adding the final nail to our massive Dragon-hate, and our best option against opposing Hydreigon and Weavile. Spread is bulky and strong, with a bit of Speed creep; there's not really a specific benchmark. I'll fine-tune and update if it becomes needed but has so far worked fine.

Thundurus is our first line of support. The giant flying dick spams T-Wave against anything faster than our very fast team that Hydra doesn't like (Weavile and Mega Lucario for example), neutering Tailwind teams, all while adding yellow magic to the battle, creating para-flinch opportunities that Metagross, Hydreigon, and Azumarill have zero issues abusing, so don't hesitate to spam it against random things like Sylveon either. Beyond that, he annoys Kangaskhan, helps break bulky Waters such as Suicune and Milotic, and HP Ice helps bust Landorus-T/Garchomp (won't OHKO, but hurts a lot) and most things that Thunderbolt sucks against. Protect is uncommon on Thundy, but is pretty great since he lures Fake Out and double-targets like no other mon in the meta. Outspeeds Max Speed Gyarados to bomb it before it can Taunt, Ice Fang, etc. and outpaces most "bulky" Thundurus spreads. Bulk lets it survive Khan's Double-Edge, with a 75% chance to tank LO Draco Meteor from Modest Hydreigon. Again, it's not a perfected spread, but it works. Oh, and is answer #4 to Mega Mence. Seriously, do not ever bring Mence into this team.
Can be switched with an offense, LO Thundy or any variant of Zapdos; fills the same role at the end of the day. Speed control, kills Waters.

Virizion is quite impressive for it's rather underwhelming stats and usage. The big green deer is our fast KO on Kangaskhan, which we needed a solid answer for at this point; "T-Wave and hope it skips a turn" isn't the best game plan.
Virizion checks a long and useful list of foes for us, including Milotic (even at +2!), Heatran, Tyranitar, Azumarill (chip it first, seriously), Politoed, Kingdra (Meta/Hydra flop against this one), and is especially adept at the nasty Amoonguss+Khan combo by ignoring Spore/Rage Powder, and outspeeding + OHKOing Khan. Stone Edge is a bit unreliable, but the mere threat of it makes Talonflame hesitate to switch in and Char-Y shits a brick over it. Also helps weakne Gyarados, Zapdos, and Thundurus, and I guess it's an excessive hit on Mence?
Simple spread: Max Speed, Max Attack, 4 Def to help eat Psyshock. Special bulk is absolutely amazing: outside of Char-Y and Hurricane Dnite it'll eat any Special attack coming at it, and slam back. Secondary Hydreigon check, and excels against Rain along with Thundurus. Singlehandedly massacres Japan Sand as well; Mence obviously has no hope against this team so no worries.

Arcanine
, our final slot and typical "tech" option, acts as a cold stop to Kangaskhan and virtually any physical attacker. Intimidate support makes Virizion much safer, and makes the rest of the team difficult to bring down. Snarl and Fire typing helps break down Sun teams and Gardevoir, and while Milotic is a huge, huge threat, Virizion, Thundy, and Azumarill go miles to help. While he is rather slow on damage output, he is a powerful crippler that no ones enjoys facing. Our safest Heatran and Char-Y switchin, while also adding coverage against Bisharp, Aegislash, Weavile, and others that this team needs. Considering a CB set for shock value and keeping the damage flowing, but so far am very impressed with BulkyCanine.
Spread is the BSD standard; though it loses the Sitrus berry to Thundy. Morning Sun + Rocky Helmet make it even more disgusting against Khan, because there's no such thing as "too much Khan coverage"; fat baby momma is on every other team at minimum. Outspeeds and OHKO's Bisharp with Flamethrower, tanks Hydreigon's DM on the Special side, and common high-power hits like Terrakion's Close Combat are a 3HKO with Sitrus but Morning Sun helps maintain HP.
Morning Sun is vulnerable to Rain / Sand, so he's often paired with Virizion.

Looking into a Metagross + Gyarados build as well but that's still in stage 1 of development.
Will add team to the OP later.

Mishimono

mish mish
DPL Champion
Since this was the last season of Battle Spot I figured I'd post a team. I used this team quite a bit during this season and I finished at 1801. I may have been able to get a bit higher but I just wanted to get over 1800 for the end of the season.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Hammer Arm
- Protect
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
Entei @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 36 HP / 124 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Snarl
- Stone Edge
- Protect
Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 52 SpA / 148 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect
Down the Drain (Gastrodon-East) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 204 HP / 100 Def / 196 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

I started with Metagross and Lando-T because I wanted to build around Metagross and Lando helped remove fire and steel such as Charizard, Heatran and Entei for Metagross. I added Entei next because I felt it would be useful as another sun check and could help support Metagross by spreading Sacred Fire burns and using Snarl. I needed speed control so I thought Zapdos would be useful for the team. I was originally using Sitrus Berry and a less defensive spread but I felt later that Rocky Helmet would help a lot more with my Kangaskhan matchup. Hydreigon was added mainly to beat Aegislash and do decent damage to Cresselia, it also added another fire resist to team team which helped with Charizard. Lastly I added Gastrodon as it was a great check to Thundurus and Landorus-T which were still a bit of a problem.

Last edited:
EDIT: idk why when I copied the sprites they ended up with black borders
I believe that happened because attaching images to your post re-saves them, which replaces the transparancy in the PNG file with a filler colour.

You should link the images from another site if you want to avoid it.

Since this was the last season of Battle Spot I figured I'd post a team. I used this team quite a bit during this season and I finished at 1801. I may have been able to get a bit higher but I just wanted to get over 1800 for the end of the season.

View attachment 69466View attachment 69465View attachment 69467View attachment 69468View attachment 69469View attachment 69470
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Hammer Arm
- Protect
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
Entei @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 36 HP / 124 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Snarl
- Stone Edge
- Protect
Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 52 SpA / 148 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect
Down the Drain (Gastrodon-East) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 204 HP / 100 Def / 196 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

I started with Metagross and Lando-T because I wanted to build around Metagross and Lando helped remove fire and steel such as Charizard, Heatran and Entei for Metagross. I added Entei next because I felt it would be useful as another sun check and could help support Metagross by spreading Sacred Fire burns and using Snarl. I needed speed control so I thought Zapdos would be useful for the team. I was originally using Sitrus Berry and a less defensive spread but I felt later that Rocky Helmet would help a lot more with my Kangaskhan matchup. Hydreigon was added mainly to beat Aegislash and do decent damage to Cresselia, it also added another fire resist to team team which helped with Charizard. Lastly I added Gastrodon as it was a great check to Thundurus and Landorus-T which were still a bit of a problem.

EDIT: idk why when I copied the sprites they ended up with black borders
Haha, love seeing MegaGross get some love. You ended up building a very similar team to mine, which I've been meaning to post but eh. I stopped my BSD run at 1711, since that's the best my curse will allow me to achieve. Bad luck towards the end; I lost 7 matches / 80 points straight to hax, so once I clawed back to 1700 I just stopped before damnation struck again. It was appearently arrogant of me to think I wouldn't get hit with 3 crits out of 5 hits across 7 matches straight.
Soon as the season ends though... it is free game. ;)

I gotta ask what the spreads on Entei, Gastrodon, and Zapdos do though. Rain looks like the #1 enemy of the team here.
Hammer Arm on Metagross is neat, I just despise damage rolls on Khan/Heatran. Shame it doesn't get Superpower :<
I love the Entei though, I was torn between it and Arcanine on mine. Still am. lol.

edit: I'm fucking stupid I already posted it

Mishimono

mish mish
DPL Champion
Haha, love seeing MegaGross get some love. You ended up building a very similar team to mine, which I've been meaning to post but eh. I stopped my BSD run at 1711, since that's the best my curse will allow me to achieve. Bad luck towards the end; I lost 7 matches / 80 points straight to hax, so once I clawed back to 1700 I just stopped before damnation struck again. It was appearently arrogant of me to think I wouldn't get hit with 3 crits out of 5 hits across 7 matches straight.
Soon as the season ends though... it is free game. ;)

I gotta ask what the spreads on Entei, Gastrodon, and Zapdos do though. Rain looks like the #1 enemy of the team here.
Hammer Arm on Metagross is neat, I just despise damage rolls on Khan/Heatran. Shame it doesn't get Superpower :<
I love the Entei though, I was torn between it and Arcanine on mine. Still am. lol.

edit: I'm fucking stupid I already posted it
ya being able to ohko Kangaskhan and Heatran with Superpower would be great for Metagross. I think the Gastrodon spread OHKOs Mega Mawile and Terrakion with Earth Power and can live two Lando-T Earthquakes and a Salamence Double Edge. The Zapdos spread allows it to live a Jolly Kanga Double-Edge a Choice Specs Draco Meteor from Hydreigon and outspeed neutral base 70s. The Entei spread was Lightcore's I think which was Jolly so I could outspeed Charizard and Kangaskhan. The SpD allowed it to live 60 spa Rotom-w Hydro Pump.

Here's the Tailwind team that got me to 1806 on Battle Spot.

Aeolus (Suicune) @ Wacan Berry / Sitrus Berry
Modest Nature
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SAtk / 140 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Fun Guy (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Heat Lamp (Chandelure) @ Flame Plate
Modest Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-Wisp
- Protect

F. G. M. (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace -> Pixilate
Modest Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Imprison
- Protect

Hovercat (Landorus-T) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect

Robin (Crobat) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
EVs: 48 HP / 40 Def / 168 SDef / 252 Spe
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Quick Guard
- Super Fang

This is still my most effective team to date, consisting of 3 sweepers, 2 supporters, and a disruptor working in Tailwind. I started with Suicune + Breloom since they have amazing synergy together in Tailwind (though admittedly they worked even better when Mega Kangaskhan wasn't a thing). After that I added Mega Gardevoir, a Pokemon that has proven itself to be amazing in Tailwind with Hyper Voice. Imprison cuts off the opponent's Protect, which is nice for stopping Tailwind from being stalled out, though it's somewhat difficult to find a free turn to use it. I rounded out the FWG core with Rotom-H, who had the added benefits of being immune to Ground and Paralysis. At this point I didn't like how my team only had 1 real sweeper, so I added Excadrill as an Earthquake user and Fairy killer. Crobat finished off the team by being a faster Tailwind setter that was immune to Fake Out and could shut down BS such as Chansey, Smeargle, Whimsicott, etc. I played with these six for awhile, but I didn't like Rotom's role. I wanted something that could deal more consistent Fire-type damage and that had a better matchup against Mega Kangaskhan and Charizard Y, so I replaced it with Chandelure, who can both discourage enemy Heat Waves and fire off its own, as well as threatening Kangaskhan with Will-o-Wisp. I also decided that Excadrill's role as a Fairy killer was mostly obsolete; I found that I could go 10 battles without ever using Iron Head. The metagame had also shifted out of favour of Sylveon and I had other ways of dealing with Gardevoir, so I replaced Excadrill with its far more popular cousin, Landorus-T.

The reason that there are so many 4/252/252 spreads is that this is a very offensive team; you have to play it such that you KO or Sleep opponents before they can even move, instead of taking a hit and retaliating. Suicune's spread is much more offensive than normal; Defensive Suicune, while it has its benefits, doesn't really fit onto this team since Crobat fulfills its role somewhat and it needs to be able to do damage once Tailwind goes up. The given Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Neutral-natured Base 70s. I don't remember exactly what Crobat's EV spread does, and honestly I would recommend investing a lot more in Physical Defense instead of SDef.

Unless you're facing something like Perish Trap where what you need is raw damage output, you never want to bring all 3 of Gardevoir, Chandelure, and Landorus because they all rely heavily on Tailwind to function. Furthermore, by bringing all three, you sacrifice Breloom's amazing utility and annoying habit of hitting Bullet Seed exactly one less time than required to KO. In general, if the opponent doesn't have Fake Out, bring Suicune instead of Crobat because Crobat can be more or less dead weight if Tailwind is already up. Another good play is to lead Crobat, set up Tailwind, and then let it faint so that you can bring in a sweeper for free; however, this is not recommended vs. Priority users since Quick Guard is absolutely invaluable.

Tailwind + Protect is an incredibly obvious move, but often it's the safest. In particular, if you sacrifice Crobat to set up Tailwind, you can often get two sweepers or a sweeper + Breloom out at once to put huge pressure on the enemy team. However, if the opponent has any form of strong priority (Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, Scizor's Bullet Punch, Azumarill's Aqua Jet, etc.), protect Crobat with your life! Spam Quick Guard or bring in Breloom to take out the priority users so that the heavy hitters can do their job without fear of being bopped.

Suicune + Breloom is your go-to lead if the opponent lacks disruption such as Fake Out and Taunt; you can safely Tailwind + Protect on turn 1, and then begin attacking and putting things to sleep. In particular, this is effective against Rain and Sand, and against most Tailwind-less Mega Salamence teams.

If the opponent does have Fake Out, Crobat + a sweeper is a very effective lead; you can Tailwind + Protect turn 1, and then after that Super Fang whatever is more likely to take the sweeper's attack. As for which of the three sweepers you choose, it's mostly up to choice, though I recommend Landorus if the Fake Out user is Kangaskhan.

Crobat + Breloom is the most disruptive lead, and the most effective for facing gimmicks such as Smeargle, Chansey, and Simple Beam. Since the Pokemon these teams rely on usually aren't very fast, you can cut straight to Taunt and Spore. Crobat also has a Lum Berry to absorb Dark Void.

Suicune + Chandelure is another effective lead, and probably the most immediately offensive one, as the two synergize well together. I generally prefer leading Suicune/Breloom and then bringing Chandy in once Breloom goes down, though.

Gardevoir + Breloom sounds like it should be decent; after all, Gardevoir is the hardest hitter of the team and Breloom can snipe frail Pokemon and put things to sleep. The problem is that they are the two most frail Pokemon on the team, and neither of them are particularly fast outside of Tailwind. While it can be decent on the lower ladder and against gimmicks, when battling more skilled opponents there is almost always something better to lead with.

This team does very well against Mega Salamence teams since Suicune and Gardevoir can easily OHKO it and they're usually built to be pure offense.

I'm not sure if Japan Sand is still a big thing on the ladder, but this team virtually auto-wins against it: The Suicune/Breloom lead with Gardevoir and Landorus in the back destroys the Tyranitar/Excadrill/Salamence combo. Even with other Sand teams that just have the basic TTar/Exca, SuiLoom has a very advantageous matchup against it.

Trick Room is the hardest matchup since this team is very frail; while it has lots of tools to deny TR, if it does go up, you have to either stall or hit second for 4 turns, neither of which is an easy task. The trouble is that facing Trick Room is often a guessing game of whether or not the setter is Mental Herb or Goggles/Lum: Crobat beats Goggles and Lum, but Breloom beats Mental Herb. I would say the best anti-TR lead is Crobat + Chandelure since both are immune to Fake Out (Kangaskhan is rare on TR teams) and most TR setters are weak to Chandelure's Shadow Ball. If you're really paranoid about Trick Room going up (as you should be with this team!), It may be worth changing Chandelure's item to Spooky Plate or Expert Belt. The power drop to Heat Wave is pretty noticeable, but it would make Shadow Ball do more than 50% to 252 HP / 252 SDef Sassy Cress (Does anyone actually run that?), ensuring a KO with Super Fang. 252 EVs would make Cresselia's maximum HP an odd number, ensuring that Super Fang will not activate a potential Sitrus Berry, though of course if it isn't fully invested, it could have an even HP, so use caution. If this were still VGC 2015, it would be extremely useful information in a Bo3, but it isn't, so... yeah.

Thundurus is, of course, the bane of Tailwind: it doesn't care how fast you are, it will paralyze your entire team. The standard procedure vs. Thundurus is to KO it as fast as humanly possible. If that isn't possible, Crobat has a Lum Berry and can Taunt it, and Landorus is immune to everything except HP Ice and can Rock Slide and Intimidate.

Since this team relies heavily on spread moves, you can imagine that Aegislash is annoying: It can Wide Guard to block spread moves and do heavy damage to, if not outright OHKO, Gardevoir and Chandelure. It's not too hard to play around, though, since it's very slow and King's Shield doesn't block Taunt or Spore. Chandelure can do around 80% with Shadow Ball and spread Heat Wave, but cannot OHKO and usually gets OHKO'd back.

Vs. Sand
Vs. Kang/Lando
Vs. Mishimono running Zard Y
Vs. more Kang/Lando (though Breloom 5-hits Bullet Seed twice)

R2MG-WWWW-WW5X-9RD7: Vs. Kang/Thundy/Aegislash (normally a bad matchup)
DQNW-WWWW-WW5X-9R4Y: Vs. Khan Artist
More coming soon!

EDIT: Added nicknames!

Last edited:
Here's the Tailwind team that got me to 1806 on Battle Spot.
Work schedule has been killing me but I'm finally on a mini vacation here.
Added the team.

I had someone ask me about Chandelure not too long ago, and I was unable to find a solid team using it, so this is nice to have.
Especially a non-TR Chandy. HOw has that been doing for you; I imagine Garde + Chandy is pretty fun in particular.

Work schedule has been killing me but I'm finally on a mini vacation here.
Added the team.

I had someone ask me about Chandelure not too long ago, and I was unable to find a solid team using it, so this is nice to have.
Especially a non-TR Chandy. HOw has that been doing for you; I imagine Garde + Chandy is pretty fun in particular.
Thanks!

I don't know why Chandelure isn't more common on Tailwind teams - with 145 SAtk its Heat Waves hit like a truck, Shadow Ball chunks Cresselia, and it can bully Kangaskhan with Ghost typing and Will-o-Wisp. I guess it's fairly slow and frail, though again that's what Tailwind is for. And I don't often have Garde + Chandy out at the same time, though I will say it is terrifying when it does happen.

Here's one for the (Gen VI) road. Currently peaked at 1839, and hanging around the 1830s in general. I saw a lot of people using dual megas (usually something with spread moves and Kangaskhan), which I like in this endgame-meta for laddering. Threw this together with box stuff, and all the elements outside HP Ice Heatran are pretty common, so hopefully someone can play around with it.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Trick Room

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 196 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 172 HP / 180 Def / 78 SpA / 4 Spd / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower

The Gardevoir, Amoonguss and Heatran are taken directly from Scar's 6th place Worlds 2015 team, so you can find more info on their spreads in his original report (and actually, the Amoonguss I've been using is a more generic box one rather than the better, more specific spread above). I was playing around with a copy of the team, but it didn't feel flexible enough to pull weight in the current ladder meta. Adding a dual mega option and switching to Scarf Landorus really increased the team's options. Milotic provides a surprising amount of synergy with either mega, able to add a second speed control option for Gardevoir, and warding away Landorus leads from both. That said, the team is a bit more structured around Gardevoir, and that's still usually the choice unless there are major impediments or something Kangaskhan really wants to hit.

I don't remember exactly what the Milotic spread is built toward, but I believe some sort of OHKO against Landorus (Assault Vest?) was its target, leading to a more offensive variant. If I were designing this team from scratch, I'd probably go with more bulk, so that might be worth playing around with. This is by no means a perfected team, but it might be a starting point for some late-meta dual-mega stuff.

Edit: 1845 peak.

Last edited:
Here's one for the (Gen VI) road. Currently peaked at 1839, but it's hanging around the 1830s in general. I saw a lot of people using dual megas (usually something with spread moves and Kangaskhan), which I like in this endgame-meta for laddering. Threw this together with box stuff, and all the elements outside HP Ice Heatran are pretty common, so hopefully someone can play around with it.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Trick Room

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 196 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 172 HP / 180 Def / 78 SpA / 4 Spd / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower

The Gardevoir, Amoonguss and Heatran are taken directly from Scar's 6th place Worlds 2015 team, so you can find more info on their spreads in his original report (and actually, the Amoonguss I've been using is a more generic box one than the better, more specific spread above). I was playing around with a copy of the team, but it didn't feel flexible enough to pull weight in the current ladder meta. Adding a dual mega option and switching to Scarf Landorus really increased the team's options. Milotic provides a surprising amount of synergy with either mega, able to add a second speed control option for Gardevoir, and warding away Landorus leads from both. That said, the team is a bit more structured around Gardevoir, and that's still usually the choice unless there are major impediments or something Kangaskhan really wants to hit.

I don't remember exactly what the Milotic spread is built toward, but I believe some sort of OHKO against Landorus (Assault Vest?) was its target, leading to a more offensive variant. If I were designing this team from scratch, I'd probably go with more bulk, so that might be worth playing around with. This is by no means a perfected team, but it might be a starting point for some late-meta dual-mega stuff.
Oh, I know the Milotic spread:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 172 HP / 180 Def Milotic: 162-191 (84.3 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
76+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 196-232 (100 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Speed is mostly an allocation of remaining points, but hits enough to outrun Scarf, neutral 95's like... Darmanitan, I guess, in Tailwind.
It's not an ideal speed number for Icy Wind (113 is much better, to outrun max Speed Garchomp / Khan / Garde / etc), but it works.

Dual mega is great imo, been running it for a long time. Char-Y has bad days and you always want to have a backup plan for the people that run 3+ Char-Y counters knowing they'll run into me.
Adding in a bit.

Edit: added.

Last edited:
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 172 HP / 180 Def Milotic: 162-191 (84.3 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
76+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 196-232 (100 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Speed is mostly an allocation of remaining points, but hits enough to outrun Scarf, neutral 95's like... Darmanitan, I guess, in Tailwind.
It's not an ideal speed number for Icy Wind (113 is much better, to outrun max Speed Garchomp / Khan / Garde / etc), but it works.
Ha, thanks for letting me know what my Milotic spread does. I think I made it around six months ago and knew it was researched/built toward something particular. The only thing I remembered for sure was that the speed was, as you said, an allocation of leftover points.

Last edited:
Alrighty, it is time for my final team of the season, since Battle Spot is mere hours away from its official death. How to use any of these teams, you ask? Showdown is the only option left.

Nonetheless, this is pretty much a perfection of my Pledge Core. Behold it, in its undefeated glory:

Charizard @ Mega-Y
Timid, 140 HP, 4 Def, 164 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 196 Speed
Ability: Blaze (Drought)

- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Fire Pledge
- Focus Blast

Outruns +92 (Jolly Krookodile, Jolly Landog) and neutral-natured 105's (to outrun Adamant Khan and such).
Survives Timid Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt, and tanks Fake Out + Sucker Punch from Jolly Khan. 75% chance to tank Jolly MegaMence's Return, and ~52.7% chance to tank Return from Jolly Khan. Not the best odds, I know, but does force the foe to roll dice that are in your favor.
After an Intimimdate from Scrafty, it survives nearly any non-STAB Rock Slide.
Sp. Atk is basically leftover but hits exactly 200 Sp. Atk (actual stat), the equivalent of a base 130 stat with boosting nature and max EVs.
Focus Miss is new, and provides an option against Heatran. Even if you miss, it does little back to you and will be scared to all hell for the rest of the match. Hilarious if it wants to switch into Heat Wave.
Does not OHKO Khan / TTar, don't even try it.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Bold, 252 HP, 132 Def, 4 Sp. Atk, 36 Sp. Def, 84 Speed
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)

- Grass Pledge
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb

222 Speed with Chlorophyll. Outruns +1, neutral 95 (Scarf Adamant Darmanitan) and +1 252+ Gyarados (Jolly, max Speed, after a DD).
Takes 80.7 - 95.1% from 252+ MegaKhan Double-Edge, in non-Mega form. Can live LO DM from Hydreigon.
252 Toed's Ice Beam is a 3HKO, non-mega. Disgusting to KO with Intimidate support once Mence / Talonflame / Gardevoir are removed. And guess who's very good at doing just that?

Empoleon @ Life Orb
Modest, 252 HP, 52 Def, 116 Sp. Atk, 68 Sp. Def, 20 Speed
Ability: Torrent

- Water Pledge
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon

Bulk survives quite a few things, primarily Landog's Earthquake. Unique typing utterly demolishes Salamence and Gardevoir, without increasing weaknesses to Fire, and completes the Pledge core. Speed is just creep, Sp. Def is filler and can be transferred to Sp. Atk if desired. Shaky against Excadrill and Heatran, even without Sun as Heatran outspeeds and 2HKOs, and has a mere 30% chance of being OHKO'd. Excadrill can OHKO with LO boosted Ground STABs, and Sash versions will simply 2HKO. Char-Y typically handles both.
Sp. Atk is built around Fake Tears drops so this is not a general-purpose set. It is a niche option to fill extremely specific holes. Low chance (30% at best) to OHKO Suicune and Milotic with a combined Grass Pledge. Can be replaced by the extremely similar Swampert spread it is based off of, but Gardevoir becomes a huge problem and you lose your best Mence answer too.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Adamant, 252 HP, 132 Atk, 4 Def, 92 Sp. Def, 28 Speed

- Drain Punch
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

The bane of Khan, and smokes double Genie, Heatran, Cresselia, Gengar, Bisharp, etc.
Outspeeds Bisharp after Icy Wind but is mostly creeping on other Scrafty. Tanks Specs DM Hydra. 2HKOs most of what I want with Ice Punch.
I omitted Fake Out since I am not running AV, and because Scrafty is extremely slow at using it its honestly a bad user. Protect often surprises people and grabs a free turn against an incoming Close Combat or Hyper Voice. Stalls some Lefties too, that plus Drain Punch makes it pretty obnoxious. I've considered Conk, but I feel like I need the Ghost resist and Intimidate more than brute force.
However, Careful with 252 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 12 Sp. def / 28 Speed hits same stats, with 3 points higher Sp. Def. Would recommend. Even with a derpy spread it's been amazing. Item is variable, Rocky Helmet or Lum works just fine.

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Sassy, 252 HP, 12 Def, 244 Sp. Def.
IVs: 0 Speed

- Psychic
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Fake Tears

Standard SmogDex spread, dates back a few years. Originally purposed as a Trick Room setter, but repurposed for my team's needs. Tanks Specs Dark Pulse from Hydreigon, lives Khan's D-E. Min Speed to troll Trick Room and Perish Song, while losing nothing to T-Wave.
Fake Tears is negotiable, but has proved useful on a special-heavy team. Makes Mega Venusaur extremely dangerous while giving Goth some damage output itself even in the face of Snarl / Calm Mind. Could use RestTalk or something, I guess, but this is what has worked best so far.

Jolteon @ Focus Sash
Timid, 4 Def, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Volt Absorb

- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Fake Tears

That's right, just when you thought Empoleon was the most outclassed, stupid, and absurd thing on the team, Titan comes and pulls JOLTEON of all things from zero to hero. It has only one niche in all of Doubles, to set it apart from the far-superior rivalry of Thundurus, Zapdos, Manectric, and Raikou: Fake Tears, blistering Speed, and smashes Thundy/Zapdos 1v1. Fast, sponges T-Wave, extremely frail (survives literally nothing beyond Meowstic's Fake Out and Cresselia's Ice Beam), but makes literally every mon on the team bar Scrafty absurdly dangerous. More info in team usage.

General:

The team looks pretty fucking stupid and noobish, thanks to running 3 starts and a Jolteon. Opoonents will often mistake you for some dumbass running his favorites. Because I AM a dumbass, running a few favorites.
If you're sitting up at 1650+ and running it then people can't decide if you're serious or not. And nobody knows what the hell the Jolteon is going to do and usually assume Specs Volt Switch since that's all it does in every other meta.
Empoleon is also bizzarre, and makes even the people familiar with it wonder "Special tank or Defiant shitheap?" (for the record: never use Defiant or SD on Doubles Empoleon. I tried, it's pretty bad).
Scrafty + Goth bluffs a semi-TR team; Empoleon being slow as balls also helps here, and often leads towards the thought of a powerful, Modest Char-Y. None of which, you actually have <3.
Completely screwed against cheese teams like SwagPlay Thundurus. Probably pretty bad on low-ladder as it does not run Prankster Safeguard.
Dark Void Smeargle = GG. If its not Scarfed then double tap with Jolteon + Char-Y. If its Scarfed then have Jolteon T-Wave it. BUt do you ever know which one on turn 1? Nope.

Lead pairs:
+

This lead is designed for general purpose, but is ideal against slower pairs like Khan + Clefable.
First turn usually involves Protect on Charizard and a T-Wave on anything that outruns Charizard or is in the same general bracket, like Khan. Or, if Fake Out is a non-issue then you can immediately drop Fake Tears on the most relevent target and click Heat Wave, which will virtually guarantee at least one KO. If you don't have Flash Fire as an ability and aren't named Kingdra, then Char-Y's stupidly powerful Heat Wave against -2 Sp. Def WILL kill you. Zapdos, for example, is no frail target:

164 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. -2 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Sun: 219-258 (111.1 - 130.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. -2 4 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-T in Sun: 160-190 (96.9 - 115.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252 / 0 Zapdos at -2 is the equivalent of an uninvested, base 35 Sp. Def stat. Imagine your entire team, having between 30 to 50 base Sp. Def against a Charizard-Y. That is what Jolteon does. It deletes one team slot per turn for as long as you allow it to exist. Fully invested, base 130 Speed makes sure that Fake Tears lands before my attack on everything bar ChloroSaur.
This is the lead for fast, nuclear offense and is dangerous against any bulky offense team. Jolteon makes a good emergency stop to Mence and such with Sash T-Wave as well.

+

Not sure how to lead? Scrafty + Goth is basically infalliable. While Scrafty does specifically lack Fake Out, the mere threat of it forces some defensive plays from your foe, and in addition, it looks like a horribly obvious TR setup even in Team Preview so you get some psychological value of your opponent wondering "is it a semi-room team with a Modest Charizard or something?". Particularly adept at removing Thundy, since it tends to lead and rarely runs U-Turn/Volt Switch. Can't even tickle Goth or Scrafty.
Of course, instead of the painfully obvious, you're probably going to T-Wave + Knock Off and start neutering your trapped, -1 Atk foes, or simply switch Scrafty to whatevs, to gain the upper hand. People with Goth tend to lead with it, so people often lead Hydreigon, Ttar, Khan, etc. into it and Scrafty is perfectly happy with that. Should they lead a Fairy, swap to Empoleon and enjoy the free kill. etc etc.

How to use Empoleon:

Rarely is it brought, but it is truly fantastic againt Rain/Sand teams, Gardevoir, and Salamence. Try to trap the Mega with Goth and Empoleon will outright murder it. Landog locked into RS is also a favorable trap. Scrafty makes Empoleon rather difficult to budge as well.
If you're going Sun mode, then bring all 3 starters + one of the techs (usually Scrafty for Khan and TTar, Goth for Mence/Garde/Toed). Grass + Fire Pledge is certified by former US President George W. Bush as a weapon of mass destruction (WMD) and is always an obnoxious combo. Empoleon makes a good back choice to swap into Rock Slide Scarfdog or Talonflame. Empoleon + Mega Venusaur resists a ton of shit, and Water + Grass Pledge is no joke; it's basically a reverse-Tailwind with 160 BP and a pretty strong, LO boosted Sp. Atk to buff it. Also has large KO potential with Jolteon. Try not to use it against Genies; yes, it usually does win 1v1 but its slow and nearly dead at the end. Use Scrafty for double Genies.
tl;dr bench in bad matchups. Watch the world burn before the might of an armored penguin when Gardevoir/Mence hit the field. Sweeps entire rain teams next to Mega Venusaur.

Speed control methods:

Goth is actually the main support. Trap to stop Landog/Thundy switchin, stun Khan / Mence / Hydreigon / whatevs. Jolteon only uses T-wave when outright desperate but imo its still better than HP Ice.
Water + Grass Pledge initiates Swamp but is situational, mainly used in full Sun mode mid to late game.
Play Goth like a T-Wave Cress with Shadow tag, that's literally what I replaced.
Against TR, the team is pretty bulky with plenty of switch options; Jolteon is obviously a very bad idea unless they have no Fake Out and you can Fake tears + Heat Wave KO the setter. TR Goth spread lets you spam Fake Tears and blast away with Empoleon / Mega Venusaur.

Modes:

Sun mode usually consists of Char-Y, ChloroSaur, Empoleon/Scrafty (based on the opposing Mega options), and one of the tech mons (Goth/Jolt). Paralyze for Speed advantage, and keep blasting with astronomical damage potential. Grass + Fire Pledge is also very fast and nukes troublesome foes directly.

Rain-breaker is accomplished with Mega Venusaur, Gothitelle, Scrafty, and usually Empoleon. Lead Venusaur + Goth off the bat against basically any team with Toed on it. If they lead PoliColo you've immediately started the game 4v2. If they lead with Talon or Gardevoir, swap Venusaur for Empoleon and remove their only chances of breaking Venusaur. Sand is basically the same, but Empoleon is a bit tricky with Excadrill on the field. You need to remove Excadrill via Scrafty, and Mence/Garde makes that difficult. Mega Venu + Empoleon side by side can launch Swamp to slow the foe's entire team and generally work great together.

Against PerishTrap, run Char-Y + Goth. Goth can escape Gengar, and traps its partner. Encore Liepard is less dangerous when you can switch out after spamming Fake Tears. Charizard should alternate between Fire Pledge and Heat Wave to dodge Disable. Goth being slow as hell means you'll win Perish Song's tiebreaker if things get nasty, assuming they don't have Amoonguss or Ferrothorn alive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)