Battle Minigames Room- Inaugural Congress Tournament

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tiksi How do pokemon forms interact with your rule?
My initial thought is this.

Whether a forme has a Dex entry or not is no longer a useful method to see if the game recognizes the form as more substantive than e.g. gender difference, because almost all formes have Dex entries now. Even the Gastrodons. So my test, unless something else is involved, is whether they subjectively seem to be given a degree of distancing beyond "looks different and has slight difference in personality/etc.".

Rotom formes count (No machine possession v. Machine possession. Supported by BST jump from Rotom to forme Rotom. Formes are Rotom, Heat Rotom, Mow Rotom, Frost Rotom, Fan Rotom, Wash Rotom)
Silvally does count (No activation of type-changing power v. Activation of type-changing power. Supported by Dex entries being for "Silvally" and "Silvally-(Type)". Silvally, Silvally-Bug, Silvally-Electric...)
In-battle formes do not count (Legality for this only checked at teambuilder. This includes Mimikyu, Cherrim, Morpeko, Wishiwashi, Keldeo?...)
Regional formes do not count (They don't "actually" have a different name. Regional formes are named as "another one" of the original, just given a convenience designator, be it (Galarian Forme); -Galar; whatnot.)
Toxtricity, Basculin, Polteageist, Gastrodon, Alcremie, and Gourgeist don't count.

Silvally notably gets exactly zero new moves or abilities regardless of form. So it doesn't really matter. Rotom matters though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotom formes count (No machine possession v. Machine possession. Supported by BST jump from Rotom to forme Rotom. Formes are Rotom, Heat Rotom, Mow Rotom, Frost Rotom, Fan Rotom, Wash Rotom)
Silvally does count (No activation of type-changing power v. Activation of type-changing power. Supported by Dex entries being for "Silvally" and "Silvally-(Type)". Silvally, Silvally-Bug, Silvally-Electric...)
In-battle formes do not count (Legality for this only checked at teambuilder. This includes Mimikyu, Cherrim, Morpeko, Wishiwashi, Keldeo?...)
Regional formes do not count (They don't "actually" have a different name. Regional formes are named as "another one" of the original, just given a convenience designator, be it (Galarian Forme); -Galar; whatnot.)
Toxtricity, Basculin, Polteageist, Gastrodon, Alcremie, and Gourgeist don't count.
My thoughts:

After building a team and looking at things, I'd argue that players should be allowed to use the pokemon base forms without worrying about the extra characters. Your rule, while undeniably interesting, seems to only affect a very slim few pokemon, and I'd hate to take away even more strategies because of this. I struggled to find two pokemon to add to my team that not only were a) legal abusers of any moves or abilities period, and b) actually wanted said moves in the first place. So I'd say your Rotom-Fan can freely run motor drive if it so wants.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My thoughts:

After building a team and looking at things, I'd argue that players should be allowed to use the pokemon base forms without worrying about the extra characters. Your rule, while undeniably interesting, seems to only affect a very slim few pokemon, and I'd hate to take away even more strategies because of this. I struggled to find two pokemon to add to my team that not only were a) legal abusers of any moves or abilities period, and b) actually wanted said moves in the first place. So I'd say your Rotom-Fan can freely run motor drive if it so wants.
Fair enough. Rotom is free!

I've found many fun things that can be done, although it is not so easy. I wouldn't want to spoil the fun, but perhaps after the tournament I'll say what I found :psyglad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)