BH Balanced Hackmons

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Care to rate my team?
https://pokepast.es/649a47e85677c141
Zekrom
Mewtwo
Type: Null
Zamazenta
Calyrex
Chansey

I been using this team from the past years.
  • Imposter kind of memes on this team. You don't really have a safe switch-in against Imposter Zekrom (V-create out-damages Zamazenta's recovers and Null has no recovery/can't Glare Imposter) and Imposter Calyrex/Mewtwo completely walk over you (massively strong Stored Powers will cut clean through Unaware and Chansey's bulk, and Calyrex either ignores Unaware with Photon Geyser or just 2HKOs you with Earthquake).
  • The Mewtwo set is just awful. No way to beat Prankster mons or Imposter (at all) and no recovery means any anti-sweep (doesn't even need to be Prankster) hard-stops this set. Get this gone ASAP.
  • No hazard removal.
  • Type: Null accomplishes basically nothing. As soon as you start boosting with Shift Gear, people are just going to hard-switch their anti-sweep into Null (because they know you're BP) and will just invalidate anything this mon wants to do. No recovery means you can't even outlast them either.
  • I've run Plasma Fists over Bolt Strike before on Kyurem-Black in order to negate paralysing an Imposter-proofer (Plasma still gets the OHKOs it needs to), however as your primary STAB attack (and arguably main offensive mon) you don't want to be suffering with this reduced damage. The team doesn't have enough longevity to justify running Plasma just for PP, and even then the Magic Guard set simply exists.
tl;dr - axe null and m2, add hazard removal, add more setup control, fix improofing

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

• Team Name: Nuclear Fusion (Hard Mode)
  • Description: Hazard stack bulky offense
  • Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/a77df67386b1e4ff
  • How to use: Trick Celesteela's scarf as early as you can, especially against very offensive teams. Identify if Xerneas and/or Entei can keep hazards up on the opposing side, and use a mixture of Imposter, double switches, and pivoting with Celesteela to keep pressure. Eternatus will almost never have counters. Set it up against anything that can't pivot out. Opposing Imposter on Eternatus is a pain but Celesteela, Chansey, and Regigigas can keep it in check depending on the situation.
  • Weaknesses: Very offensive teams can be tricky to play against; you have good measures in Extreme Speed Xerneas + Regigigas + Imposter but these are purely passive and you still need to find openings in order to actually win. Xerneas Extreme Speed is a 68.8% roll to OHKO Dragapult so you can run into some trouble there. If Celesteela gets Assault Vest you can't remove hazards, so you need to speed up your gameplan.
  • Effectiveness: I've used this team extensively on ladder and in tours and it wins pretty much every game. Here is an example from seasonal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1659746848-jghnd8p4yafmjaryxhirmx6zx5ua8x2pw

• Team Name: The best of my worms (May 15th)
  • Description: Aggressive, unstable balance
  • Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/8949bfdeb6dc32a4
  • How to use: Use this team if you want neither you nor your opponent to know what's going on. The typical gameplan is try to get kills with Reshiram in order to convert into a winning endgame, and if they have a slower build with stuff like Tapu Fini then make use of the double Spikes and pivot around with Ho-Oh. You have no Imposter so the team will be comparatively much less solid vs stuff like Rayquaza, Groudon, Zekrom, etc.; typically your two outs against these are out-damaging them with Xerneas/Regigigas and getting up screens with Suicune.
  • Weaknesses: Zekrom in particular is really dangerous for this team if they're +speed to outrun Xerneas (you can run Timid for this if you want). Taunt Dragapult will pose some issues; you want to keep it in check with Reflect if possible and get non-entrained Ho-Oh in. You can get memed by Lum Eternatus but Lum + Earth Power is pretty uncommon and you still have Light Screen. However, even in bad matchups the team typically has some weird counterplay.
  • Effectiveness: Not perfectly consistent, but still has some nice results. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1650491338-a7kgsk6upcepsx4alrxw3laat42lk3epw This game in seasonal was a solid showing.

Since the council is asking for new samples (and I'm too lazy to build new teams) I'll just repost an earlier team I submitted:

The Team: The Cosmic Peninsula: https://pokepast.es/a4868a96e2841340.

Prelude:

Misty Surge has long been regarded as the least effective terrain in Balanced Hackmons. However much of that sentiment, I've found it has not been as much as a result of Misty Surge being a poor strategy but a poor understanding of how to use it. As it stands currently, Misty Surge doesn't belong on defensive teams as it has historically been used. It truly belongs on balanced / bulky offense teams as a blanket progress retardant that can be capitalized on to create lopsided and advantageous positions.

Synopsis:

Unlike most of my other submissions in the past, the submitted team isn't as much of a Stall build as much as it is a bulky balance build. This team is built around abusing Misty Surge to both make itself a lot harder to break through with Paralysis and Dragon types, and to slow down prominent strategies like Poison Heal Regigigas. The effects on the field that Misty Surge offers will often start an opponent on the back foot right from the beginning making it trivial for the team to capitalize on that weakness and quickly start causing havoc.

Tips on how to use:

Typically the optimal lead is Misty Surge Xerneas to ensure that Misty Surge gets up. Once Misty Surge is up then typically the optimal line of play is to aggressively abuse the team's myriad of pivoting options to get Blacephelon and Yveltal in position to begin punching holes in the opponent's team's. Capitalizing on the early turns is crucial as that's when the opponent's team will often be at its weakest. Once those first few turns of Misty Surge expire, the opponent will likely have their Poison Healers online and their Paralysis spreaders up and running. From here on out it's optimal to play more patiently and find safe opportunities to fire off Blacepeholons STAB moves, get Yveltal set -up, and set -up Poison Heal Pokemon for the Purify attack on Prankster Toxapex. Most teams are not well equipped to deal with the combination of Blacepelon and Yveltal. Take advantage of that fact throughout the game to claim koes.

Specifics / Improofing :

* FC Guzzlord serves jointly as the team's answer to Imposter as Blacephelon / Yveltal
* If an opponent tries to switch Imposter on Toxapex go to Yveltal and set up Dragon Dance
* Guzzlord uses a Sassy nature to better Imposter-Proof Blacephelon and better take Core-Enforcer chip
* Try and catch Poison Heal Pokemon with Guzzlord's Knock-Off to get them set up for a Purify attack
* Be wary of random Ghost and Dark moves when Necorzma is on the battlefield

Strengths:

* Teams with no Blacephelon counterplay
* Teams with physical walls that are hit super effectively by Yveltal
* Poison Heal Pokemon
* Eternatus
* Xerneas
* Paralysis-centric teams

Weaknesses:

* Type : Null
* Guzzlord
* Palkia
* Regen-Vest Zygarde- C
* Blacepelon Resistant structures

Effectiveness:

I easily reached top 5 on the ladder: ( Ignore the Gxe, I used that alt to test unrelaible gimmicks / meme strats prior to laddering with the Misty Surge team,):

1654027750284.png

and defeated the top 2 players that were on the ladder and a few other good players:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1582702336-gm25drtsx2mz5nwk3py1dgo4ptd39mwpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1581361413-qvyaots6m4yzrulhbj2so716v98guo6pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1575772188-edr0f2gzhr25mlt86sgj6ag62ty6bkopw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1572828757-gmfim6b6y22kolyf0gbbqbps0uouctopw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1571424343-96ydozsr6hzk5kesfu70lpk2jwpmt1xpw

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
meta has been changing over the past few weeks so thought i'd write abt a few things

:ss/ho-oh:
Ho-Oh @ Life Orb / Heavy-Duty Boots / Charcoal
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- V-create
- Glacial Lance
- Strength Sap / Synthesis / Recover

i theorycrafted this set a few months ago on some random HO. the team was a writeoff but this was the takeaway from it, as the set abuses v-create's absurd damage under sun to absolutely rip through ill-prepped teams. glance is there for the dragon types since everything else just dies to v-create (no, seriously, +1 life orb instakills kyogre and does up to 90 to fc lunala). boots is standard but i personally like life orb more, one for funny numbers but two because it lets you do stupid shit like the below:
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre in Harsh Sunshine: 399-471 (98.7 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Lunala in Harsh Sunshine: 367-433 (76.7 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regigigas in Harsh Sunshine: 465-550 (109.6 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Glacial Lance vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eternatus: 497-585 (102.6 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Glacial Lance vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 257-304 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Glacial Lance vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde-Complete: 562-665 (88.3 - 104.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
this is probably the only shift gear user that actually has defensive value which is also huge (volcanion doesn't count), just because it's offensive doesn't mean it isn't the best xern check. only viable option for beating/improofing is psea steels (if you're citypilled then prank suicune works i guess)
people need to use non-boots ho-oh more this shit is broken

:ss/palkia:
Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Dragon Energy
- Strength Sap
- ?????

what to put in this damned last slot has plagued me for months. the best thing to try and limit counterplay (fini, ferro, fc steels) is what i've been looking for, as realisticlly in games where there isn't any hard counters this slot is useless anyway. volt switch is what i've found to be most effective, as there isn't any one-stop slot for beating these 3 mons, so VS lets you pass the baton to something that can exploit these pretty easily (fini and ferro are just objectively bad mons, fc steels do not like paralysis, groudon or ho-oh). the only real issue with this is improofing it, since often you're shoehorned into a fc steel or a ferrothorn, however these are workable and aren't impossible to fit on a team (ferro probably is with the way things are going tho) plus if you get imp parad then you just beat it anyway. absolute unit of a mon, don't let lydia tell you otherwise lmao
(also, sidenote: thanks to legends: arceus, lustrous orb may trigger a form change and thus be unknockable like griseous orb in the next games lol)

volt switch - read the above
blue flare - cooks fc steels and ferrothorn, but held back by low PP / being forced to use fini to improof
steam eruption - same as above but does more if you still have adapt + lower miss chance. burns can be good but also block paralysis.
magic powder - turn every check (bar bounce ferro) into dragon energy fodder, however depends on getting predicts
nuzzle / glare - slow FC steels to make them easier to deal with, however you still get walled by them without full paras.
entrainment - remove FC from steels/pheal from fini, fc zamac gets annoying since you still don't beat it + fini still threatens status
taunt - stop opp from healing so you beat them long term. struggles with zamac (see here, i get out-damaged and thus no taunt value. even without helmet, tkick gets annoying) and doesn't stop nuzzle
encore - lock opps into healing moves (draining pp), damage moves (can't heal) or force out. zama's tkick is annoying + low PP for something you need to predict with and use multiple times
shift gear - doesn't actually beat any checks but lets you win earlier against most teams with little non-imp counterplay

:ss/zygarde-complete:
Zygarde-Complete @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Thousand Waves
- Volt Switch
- Topsy-Turvy
- Recover

rain is somewhat legit(?), it's really uncommon but this sort of works in it's favour as the meta isn't littered with tapu finis, giratinas and the like. these teams crutch almost solely off fishious rend, with the 2 key abusers being palkia and barraskewda - palkia's main job is doing the sweeping with swift swim, whereas barraskewda is mostly there as a backup plan and to try kill anything that palkia can't (usually coverage for stray desland users/pranks). the whole playstyle is by nature a matchup fish, however for the vast majority of games you can fit in coverage for counters and be fine, and if you don't run into any counterplay then you honestly just win at preview. watch for espeed xern and you should be mostly ok.

the meta as a whole:
people are beginning to use more offensive things as they don't want to get bogged down in balance wars, which is cool to see. nuzzle is still a topic of contention but isn't as centralizing as it was in and around OMPL, and most teams don't make excessive use of it. no real complaints atm, things look cool going into omwc and gen 9.

1664306911583.png

yo anyone else find this shit outright bad but still annoying af to play against

Redflix

Forgiven and Hanged
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
SSNL is over for me and thats my farewell to competitive gen8bh. I built plenty of teams and wanted to share them. Most of them are ladder centric as i mostly tested my teams there and could def use few changes for them to be better in a bo1 setting

Round 1:-

g1: career g1 (pokepast.es)

was vs career and that immediately meant i had to build new teams. He had been spamming the city's zap canon xern set so i decided to revolve the team around av zyg-c + charcoal deso ho-oh, which was a set inspired by quojova's tinted charcoal ho-oh set. Career also had very less SR usage so i was p confident with this starting core.I found sd zama-c to be the perfect breaking partner for the team and it generally looked solid vs the traditional builds career brought. Fc don was there to trap gigas if career messed up. (originally had worry seed but core is better on ladder as u barely see ph zac).
For the game itself , my mu was pretty bad. Not only did career brought a quojova team which had a SR setter but zekrom + worry seed regen lun meant xern and ho-oh did 0. Career gave me an out after misplaying vs the zama but etern getting 0 fp's ensured my defeat.

g2: null fever (pokepast.es)
saw this type null set on ladder and immediately fell in love with it , partially cuz most of my teams had either ogre , scales zama or ho-oh as the spd wall and this set usually covered every special breaker. Offensive don is always a good breaker to have and the rest is pretty standard.
Once again i loaded up into a bad mu but this specific fault which is no dragon type in the team is extremely exploitable so i can hardly complain. Apart from the Ho-oh set career used or any other offensive ho-oh for the matter , barraskewda is another mon that p much 6-0s. Gira-O > Lunala is the most obvious change to fix this flaw but it makes u extremely weak to glance SD mons. Regenvest etern > type null is something that im using currently and has served me well for the time being.

Round 2:-

g1 and g2: ladder #8 (pokepast.es)

was against an unknown player so figured that any ladder team would work. This team has been pretty consistent for me and even tho the current trend of sd glance mons rolls over this , i still think it should do fine on ladder. Another thing to note is that the 4 attack TC zama set absolutely butchers this team so fc > unaware don might just be better if u plan on using this.

Round 3:-

g1: shing g1 (pokepast.es)

i had no idea what to expect vs shing so i just took a page from Mamp's double fairy structure and came up with this. Espeed pixi xern + ferro seemed to me one of the safest option which covered most unorthodox sets. Did not want to lose to random ho-oh again so had to make sure gira-O was the fc user.
Was happy with the mu i got and Gira-O looked super solid vs shing's team as it covered both physical breakers and i was gradually able to break their team.

g2: triage yvel #1 (pokepast.es)
was spamming this team a lot on ladder during the time and figured it would be a good bring. The main focus is on Triage Yveltal which imo has great potential to sweep teams middle or late in the game. I always am unsure of the 4th move on its set tho as magma / cage / taunt all make sense but i went with imprison to annoy ladder in case i won the speed tie. Mg ho-oh +knock gigas is extremely consistent at making progress and the rest of defensive core is fairly standard. Once again the current trend isnt super suitable to this team so i would recommend making major changes if u wanna use this.

Round 4:-

g1: drago g1 (pokepast.es)

Drago was known to be an extremely crafty builder so i wanted something solid. This used to be a ladder build but i changed plenty of stuff to make it more consistent for tournament settings- Espeed Xern for whack breakers + Zyg-c as the pivot. That ndm probably still shouldnt exist and u would be better off with a different bounce mon (and better moves) .
Ended up facing pikachu + nuzzle spam. Could've played a few turns better but para on NDM when i tried to recover fucked me up a lot , allowing pikachu to sweep. Overall , shouldve managed the whole gameplan better as the mu wasn't even bad

g2: triage yvel #2 (pokepast.es)
Knew that triage yvel would be a good pick vs drago. Ended up with substitute as the 4th move as it gave it better chances to sweep vs av regen users specifically zyg-c , ogre and melmetal. It did end up weakening up vs evio chansey mu but zekrom as the improof eased the worry. SD nuzzle gigas as the final breaker and lunala to improof finished up the team.
Felt pretty good during the preview . An early misplay from drago allowed melm to beat the xern but i soon realised that defog lun as the removal meant pivot gigas + etern couldeasily take advantage. I lost a bit of 50/50s which allowed drago to gain further momentum but sub yveltal saved the day as drago had no counters to it cuz melm's av got knocked early.

g3: I brought the null fever and got owned at preview when i saw a barraskewda. Drago heavily misplayed this game as a few aggressive predicts with barra could've likely won him the game quickly. A pblades miss vs the zacian did brew some scare but parahax sealed the game for me.

Round 5 :-

g1: lax try #1 (pokepast.es)

vs will i experimented with non regigigas structures and lax seemed like a perfect candidate. With scales ogre and trick mbounce etern , the team does lean on the whacker side but it has been prettY consistent for me. Shed shell on zama is for ladder cheese so helmet / lefties are perfectly valid substitutes.
I drew a 100-0 mu cuz will used gambit HO and espeed xern p much murdered his team but the great brain of mine assumed will's no retreat tina had baton pass and i threw the mon which guaranteed the win. Extremely stupid game from me but atleast the team is still good.

g2: toxic claws (pokepast.es)
Dragon Maw Etern + Zacian seemed like a really strong core to me esp when paired with pivot gigas. Fc palk was there for random skewda or wicked blow gigas and prank solg + ho-oh covered most xern sets. NP etern sets still are a major threat to this team and needs to be played vs extremely carefully (would also recommed +spe nature on etern).
Was up against pikachu HO and went for the speed tie early and luckily won it , sealing the game.

g3: cune imposter (pokepast.es)
One of the more consistent ladder builds of mine i built this during ompl when experimenting with prank suicune. The team is extremely basic barring the cune. Once again shed shell is for ladder and the item could be replaced.
I loaded up a good mu and got lucky early with the number of hits vs will's scale shot ph don leading to will forfeiting early.

Round 7:-

g1: cune revamp (pokepast.es)

vs guzzler i wanted a defensive core that did not lose to sd 3 attacks gigas and cune +fc zama looked solid vs most of his scouts , covering the fish as well. I deviated from using Ho-oh or regen ogre as heatran looked super solid vs the usual pixi plate xern sets i had seen them using and also allowed me to use NP xern. SFLO etern is a super underrated set imo and works extremely well with pivot gigas thus completing the offensive core. Overall extremely happy with how the team turned out and this has served me well on ladder as well.
Once again i was content with the preview and etern soon proved out to be a major threat to guzzler's team. After that , i was extremely ahead in the game. My clicking tendencies did show up and allowed my oppo to crawl back somewhat into the game but it was over after palk got para'd.

g2: This was an extremely rushed team around the same offensive core i brought vs career round 1 but with better (allegedly!!) defensive core. Even tho it shouldve won if the v-create hit the don , it was without a doubt a pretty bad team which just got themu right so i'll save everone the trouble and not post it.

g3: Used Toxic Claws and Guzzler didnt have the best answers to Zacian. He also misplayed vs the etern and at that point i was very ahead in the game. Couldve played the end game a bit cleaner but some subpar sequence got me the W.

Round 8:-

g1:
Before they are hanged (pokepast.es)
Jqlove was a fellow ladder player and the one thing i knew about them was they loved to use SD gigas with wicked blow which immediately made me use FC zyg. Nuzzle SD gigas looked great vs all their ladder teams and i took a page of tea guzzler's book and ended up using palk. Yveltal ended up being the hazard control and Vcreate as its last move was something i ended up with after seeing sevag use it the week prior. One thing i noticed about this team was how weak it was to glance users and was absolutely paranoid about nihil passing jqlove some SD glance set but thankfully that didnt happen. U probably gotta change either the zyg or ferro to make up for this if u wanna use the team.

g2 : used the same team as r2 and realized how reliant it is on xern to break. While i do think i made it worse for me by allowing yveltal to get para'd early , my irl conditions were extremely dire so i was just glad i didnt had to play a game 3.

Round 9:-

g1: rebellion v1 (pokepast.es)

On sevag's scout i saw a lot of SD gigas and i knew i had to use qt's fc celesteela to counter this. Bounce tina was there to deny progress from pivot gigas if i faced one + better mu against the fish. Prankster Ho-oh was there to beat etern or rayquaza. The offensive core of this team is extremely whack but the idea was to create chances with xern and etern into gigas endgame. Explosion on xern cuz ph xern is a menace even with topsy ho-oh and i couldnt find the right mon to replace etern since we were playing early in the week. I know this team has a terrible palk mu but i was willing to bet sevag wouldnt bring it (atleast g1). I dont recommend this team at all , it needs a ton of testing and work to be usable.
As far as the game goes , sevag brought more or less the team that was expected. I did have offensive deso ho-oh in my mind while building esp after there was a lot of hype around it but thought topsy prank ho-oh was enough of check. My biggest misplay was definitely the etern vs imposter turn, i was greedy and thought sevag would go for a spike but i got owned and ended up with a 12% etern. The explosion turn was w/e , i do believe i had chances if the imposter went down but it is what it is.

g2: used the cune revamp and loaded with an amazing mu. Magic Bounce Etern did prove to be a threat but once it went down it was my game to lose and a very rushed endgame from me almost gave me the L but parahax didnt come through this time and cune was able to glare the fish.

g3: ph don try #1 (pokepast.es)
Went back to my trusty zacian for a g3 build and paired it up with a ph don set i saw sevag use a previous week. Once again went with heatran to deny any pixie plate xern set progress and finished with a prank fini set stresh used in ompl with topsy over haze.
My mu vs simple ep etern was horrid but sevag's mu vs zacian wasnt great either. I got outplayed completely in those don vs imposter tran turn and again vs the etern with heatran. My last straw was zacian sweeping but i didnt get the roll vs gigas and it ended there.Was a fun game tho.Overall , i think etern mu could def be improved by replacing tran but its a decent team regardless.

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

not rewriting the entire thing, see here for the full rmt
Team name: Searing Assault
Synopsis: Shift Gear Ho-Oh Offense
Paste: https://pokepast.es/e4af8b8477fc2295
How to use: Most games you're going for the Ho-Oh sweep, making use of V-create's absurd damage output. Games where there's no wall you can usually just sweep through, otherwise you're using Regigigas' Blades and Psycho Shift to help get Ho-Oh through. Zama, Melm and Zyg are fatmons you're mostly using for momentum, Xern keeps hazards off whilst binning opposing Ho-Oh and spamming Plate Boomburst. Paralyze FC Lunala and Toxic FC Fires/Waters, use Zygarde as the knock sponge in matchups where you need to Psycho for Ho-Oh to not be walled.
Other options:
  • :melmetal: Because it's so fat, you can opt to run Entrainment so you can trap and eliminate PHealers, including Blades Gigas.
  • :xerneas: Diamond Storm hits Desolate Land Ho-Oh, however misses out on misc targets + your own Ho-Oh can't emergency Improof anymore.
  • :zygarde-complete: No Ghost-type on the team, so you can swap this with Giratina if you're overly concerned about trapping.
Weaknesses:
  • :chansey: Imp can use the 2 Sap mons as relatively safe recovery (more Ho-Oh than Xern), so counterplay mostly comes down to creating a situation where it is forced to lose it's Eviolite in order to sap Zama-C.
  • :gengar-mega: See the above trapping issue
  • :giratina: Prank Giratina can starve Glance of PP, so will usually require poisoning before attempting to force Ho-Oh through.
How effective:
check the rmt lmao

Tea Guzzler

ok, a couple announcements:
  • first off, the deadline for sample submissions is being set at the end of 20th october (4 days from the time this gets posted). get those subs in whilst you still can, we're taking a look at every team!
  • secondly, MAMP has joined the BH council! he's been a very good player for a long while (and afaik he's been on council before), so we're trying to set down as good a base as possible going into gen 9 BH.
  • thirdly, the council isn't seeing anything problematic atm, so there's unlikely to be much balancing action for the rest of the gen.
that's it lmao i don't really know how to announce this sort of stuff

Tea Guzzler

I’ve been wanting to get into bh or ndbh for a while but I don’t know how to find improofing that fits on my team all the improofs feel so forced. Do you have any advice on finding improofs that fit the team you use?
to keep it brief, most improofing depends on the mon you're trying to improof. some mons (particularly in natdex) simply have too high a power level to get away with using standard mons for, which is when you start needing dedicated improofs to stuff (examples include triage mzy, crit mmy, shift gear kyu-b, etc). the majority of mons you're improofing will need to fill some other role on the team, such that even if improofing is "forced" the mon itself isn't dead weight. generally with good improofing you not only don't die but also hinder imposter from sitting in front of you in some way, such as through mbounce, knock off, trapping, nuzzle, etc.
for offensive mons (which is what most people struggle improofing), good bases to work off of can be viable fur coat, ice scales, regenvest users and sometimes even just imp chansey. if you have decent meta knowledge, you should usually be able to identify if there's a relevant wall that hard-stops the mon you're trying to improof, so you can go and use this. if you're still in need of help, you can post the things you're trying to improof here and we can take a look + see if we can offer advice.

edit: i forgot to link the whole ass guide i spent 4 hours writing lmao

also @everyone samples submissions are now closed, ty for submissions

I'd like to submit two samples:

Duel Screen Bulky Offense - SD Don + TC Zama-C
https://pokepast.es/727f804b3635ff31
The team revolves around spreading paralyses with SD Groudon, and breaking through things it might normally have trouble with, such as fc lunala with Tough Claws Zama-C. Groudon's bulk is quite mediocre so it has trouble setting up at times. Behind screens however, it becomes very difficult to deter. Yveltal is necessary here, because the team can struggle on the physical side vs. desolate land ho-oh, so it is able to be a complimentary offensive pokemon here.
weakness: Simple plot eternatus can really run through this team since Kyogre can't do much back, and heatran gets blown away by +2/+4 earth power. Also, last mon pheal xerneas can be a real pain, especially if it has strength sap, since the only way to beat it is via sunsteel strike from Zamazenta-C. Groudon might be able to deal with it, by clicking SD behind screens though.

Typical of Me - Bulky Double Pheal Balance
https://pokepast.es/29803e85ece3dd88
Balance team, revolving on eventually breaking with Regigigas. Xerneas is able to pivot around most teams, and burn anchor shot trapping users. Zamazenta-C and Zygarde-C form a nice hazard controlling core. Dusclops covers for both of Zama-C's and Zygarde-C's weakness and is able to knock off valuable items at the start of a game.
weakness: The team isn't weak to a lot. It mainly struggles vs. toxic orb imposter.

Council Update:

Samples
Thank you everyone for all the lovely samples updates. Samples have just been updated accordingly, based on council votes. Congratulations to all who had a sample updated! This will most likely be the last time samples will be updated this generation, but I still encourage anyone who has a team that they want to post about to please do so!

Council Updated
Following up with Tea's announcement earlier, I'd like to kindly welcome MAMP back to the BH council. MAMP has been a mainstay in the BH community since gen5bh. He's had the opportunity to observe BH metas develop from start to finish, and we believe that his experience will be pertinent to ensure that the start of gen9bh goes as smoothly as possible.

Meta Updates
I think around now might be a good time to just reflect on the gen8bh metagame's development, and I think I'll make a longer post later. But, very briefly I don't believe that there is much tiering left to be done. There isn't anything that immediately jumps out as unhealthy. Granted, there have been shouts of looking at complex banning imprison + transform, or final gambit but neither really saw any competitive showing, and much of it has been kept in ladder. I don't believe any of these warrant much attention, because ladder shenanigans such as these, are commonplace in BH, and purely the nature of the metagame means that funky shenanigans like these will be a mainstay on ladder. They are both sub-optimal sets by nature, but still have the element of surprise keeps things interesting. While I do understand that some people may also feel unsatisfied with paralysis / nuzzle / glare, I believe that it's been properly flushed out. BH council a while back voted, and didn't believe in quick banning it. After continued community discussion, the issue was opened up to the community, in which neither glare or nuzzle were chosen to be banned after a suspect. Thus, I believe that nuzzle / glare have "earned" their place in the metagame. The only change that I might consider making is freeing Court Change to shake up the hazards metagame. But, besides that I don't have the tools to make an argument with much sustenance. The metagame is currently very stable in its condition, and although in all honestly, I don't personally enjoy it too much I believe that the path we took as council to reach this state was well reasoned, logical, and correctly done. I'm overall happy with our work, and excited to begin looking at gen9bh. I'd like to ask us to keep discussion on the gen9bh metagame to a minimum, but I will briefly say to all to expect some nice "chaos" when gen9bh starts ;). I believe that around now is a great time to reflect on the gen8bh meta, and I encourage all posts which do.

Firstly a short reply to sevag's encouragement:
1666755667404.png

Secondly I said it months ago that I was going to write my version of hyper offense notes. I did most of it at the end of April. But after that I was busy at OMPL and then had enough of BH so didn't want to touch it anymore. One big thing changed since then, which is that the corrupted council quickbanned Belly Drum. That's very bad for the thing I was writing. But not necessarily bad for HO because of less prankster to deal with. Well anyway I'm no longer willing to finish it. So here we go the great draft.

NIHILSLAVE'S HYPER(?) OFFENSE NOTES
TEA GUZZLER'S HYPER OFFENCE NOTES
YOU MUST READ TEA GUZZLER'S NOTES BEFORE THIS. It's a good post to learn some practical HO sets from and it helps a lot to give you the concept of what an HO is generally like. My notes here, on the other hand, is about how to build a real HO team out of those solid bricks.

I, Nihilslave, aka Asou&Chihiro, am known (especially by the council XD) for the ability to build decent HO teams. So at the end of the generation, I think it's time to summarize some rules and patterns in building them. In the following part I'll analyze all my good HO teams, trying to gradually lead you to discover the key. Not many of these teams are legal nowadays, and it's hard to say if some of them can be called as an HO. But the idea is always there. Please be patient and read them all.
:deoxys-attack::groudon::garchomp-mega::kartana::garchomp-mega::yveltal:
It was in the summer of 2019, when I was a beginner of BH, that I made this wonderful team.

"Groud-type is almost unresisted in this meta", thought by young me. A Hyper Offense was then made following the regular structure of HO in other formats with one suicide leader, some powerful attackers, and limited defensive utilities.
How to attack effectively is the primary problem one should ask when building Hyper Offense teams. The first thing you should do is to make sure your breakers can break most walls. This can be easily done by using set-up moves, but then prankster hazers becomes the new wall before you. There's a classic selection to be made for all the builders, that is which to choose between Swords Dance + Speed Boost and Shift Gear + Adaptability, where the former one does have a little more niche while the latter one has more raw power.

Generally speaking, an HO team should have both set-up attackers and rawly-powerful breakers. In this team I used an interesting Swords Dance + Speed Boost Garchomp-Mega, which doesn't lack raw power to prankster hazers even when unboosted thanks to its great typing and 170 atk stat. That is the so-called "compressing two roles into one mon".
:kyurem-black::zekrom::shedinja::reshiram::zacian::melmetal:
SFLO Zekrom was fun since it breaks the big mon Melmetal from its weak special side (kinda like the MGLO Zekrom with Volt Tackle and Dragon Energy nowadays, but better). And I needed a mon to enjoy the Melmetal removal so I picked Kyurem-B.

Improof was hard, but that's what Shedinja's excellent at.
Role compression is an important skill for HO builders. And it becomes even more important when improofing. You use a lot of powerful mons in your HO team, but after putting them in, you will have only very few slots for improofing. To be honest, this is what I think the hardest part which prevents most players from building HO. The good news is the team can't be too bad once you figure out how to do this, which is very rewarding in my opinion.

In this team, tho, with broken Shedinja this was pretty easy to accomplish. However the similar strategy can still be used today like improofing Eternatus, Xerneas, and Ho-Oh all with one Primordial Sea Megearna. But don't get all your attackers improofed by one mon, cause that means if your opponent also has that mon, you will expectably have no way to break through. In this team I have Reshiram as a Shedinja answer and it's improofed by another mon Zacian (shaky tho).

Question: Why did Zekrom have Bolt Strike instead of Bolt Beak (which was legal then) & What was the Taunt on Reshiram for?
:regigigas::calyrex-shadow::xurkitree::zamazenta-crowned::chansey::dialga:
Normalize Regigigas is a mon that I had been trying to build around since gen 7. It is fantastic to me but what I did was merely failing again and again. Until one day, Calyrex-S was born to dominate this meta.

This team stood out by giving me the feeling of overlooking the meta from the high peak of Hyper Offense. No one was really prepared at that time when Calyrex-S was broken for its raw power and Giratina was the mostly used prankster hazer.
Calyrex-S was an excellent partner to Normalize Regigigas in terms of removing Giratina, and most importantly, improofing. It is yet another way to do role compression that you improof your attacker with another attacker. Your attacking momentum slows down when sending your passive mons in to improof? Why not try to improof with more active ones? However you may be reminded and ask that, what if the opponent also uses the latter attacker? It seems to be a bigger problem than being walled by just an utility mon since your offense team sometimes lacks enough defensive presence to handle it. Thankfully this problem isn't here cause I used the asymmetric improof trick, aka Dark Memory. Looks hard to replicate right? Well not actually. In fact improofing by Imposter Chansey is already an asymmetric improof trick that is widely used, with more momentum loss though.

Xurkitree is another noteworthy mon here. It activates as a dedicated prankster killer. Calyrex-S is good at removing Giratina? True but Giratina will just switch out for most cases. But in front of the unranked Xurkitree, which also has decent raw power by the way, Giratina will be switched in and then killed for 99% cases.

You can easily change this team to a currently legal one, but I don't suggest to do that. The meta has changed a lot and Giratina is no longer the go-to choice of prankster for most players.

Question: Do you think dedicated prankster killers are the must-have for HO teams? Do you think an HO team is no longer weak to prankster with one prankster killer? Can you point out some other ways to handle prankster in this team?
:xerneas::lunala::yveltal::eternatus::ho-oh::necrozma-dusk-mane:
Let's take a rest here and appreciate this most popular HO of gen 8, with the three key points concluded from the above, that is:
1. The ability to handle walls. (set-up)
2. The ability to handle imposters. (improofing, momentum)
3. The ability to handle prankster hazers. (raw power, prankster killer)
You may think I'll list the answer here but guess what? Nope. Do it yourselves to get familiar with the three main rules.

When analyzing this team you may have some interesting findings. For me they are that Lunala seems to do well in all the three aspects while in pratice it can also be the opposite, and that the team is very weak to its own Yveltal (which doesn't necessarily mean it's bad).

If you compare this team to those of mine, you will experience an obvious difference in style. I can't judge which style is better but personally speaking I'm pursuing consistency in HO and I don't feel like pretending to have enough answer to offensive threats with only one defensive utility mon in team. But surely HO teams in XxSevagxX's style (or, the "mainstream style") are much easier to use and can usually perform well.
:cramorant-gorging::eternatus::kartana::zacian-crowned::zekrom::type_null:
"Ok, three main rules. So what's next?" Somewhere comes the voice.

"There must be something deeper, or at least wider about HO." That's true, but the answer wasn't directly here. Let's meet the brilliant end of the old era God Cramorant(-Gorging) gifted to us, and the new one would start soon.
Instead of the common set-up spam style of HO, this team is full of raw power. An open-ended question rises here: why isn't choiced attackers seen as much as set-up ones in HO teams? You may say because they are inflexible so they can sometimes drain the momentum without achieving anything, or maybe they are a little hard to improof. Or perhaps choiced mons are generally bad in the current meta. My personally favored answer is that Nihilslave's almost the only person who builds viable HOs and he doesn't like to use them. We can see all of them (except the last one lol) as contributing factors, but I'm not sure which is the main one.

Cramorant-Gorging was absolutely an incredible tool for improof. The first time you go it against imposter, you won't lose momentum since you eject out after paralyzing the Imposter. And the second time? The second time the imposter is paralyzed and will then be OHKOed by your attacker. I haven't come up with another mon with this beautiful feature since its ban and the team itself is a no-brainer. So I think what we can learn from it today is mainly its style of raw power.

Question: Many of my HO teams have webs. What do you think of its function in HO teams?
:eternatus::celesteela::regigigas::xerneas::chansey::zamazenta-crowned:
"It's only 90 minutes before the battle. What can I do with this Corrosion Eternatus?"

"There's no slot to build it into a balance. Let me just pretend it's an HO."

"The team worked, but why?" Most importantly, is it even a Hyper Offense?
Now after knowing roughly about how to build HO, we should go deeper (or wider, whichever you like), and ask the most fundamental question: what is Hyper Offense? Do you think a team whose wincon is to wear out the opponent's defensive mons with Toxic and Leech Seed (mainly by PP stalling with set-up moves) counts as an HO? Personally speaking I don't mind getting a not-that-hyper offense team as a result when I meant to build a hyper one as long as it's good. And seriously I think breaking a wall 1 on 1 in dozens of consecutive turns has no difference from doing the same thing in only a few turns if the long procedure is simple enough to finish.

What I want to do here is to discuss the boundary of HO and then expand the teambuilding style of HO based on that. My two criteria are listed below without proof:
1. The team should be very good at grabbing the momentum.
2. If the team relies on some pre-condition to work in the long term, either that condition is easy to achieve or the team can do well without it.
It looks like many details are missing here like what's "very good" and what's "easy to achieve" exactly. Generally I don't care and you can have your own criteria. If you ask me does this Corrosion Offense count as an HO, my answer is YES.

Question 1: What do you think of set-up + priority as a set to deal with prankster hazers?
Question 2: Some mons in this team have shaky improof. What's the shakiest improof you can accept for your HO teams?
:celesteela::ho-oh::zekrom::lunala::groudon::zamazenta-crowned:
I didn't actually realize it's a good chance to push the boundary of HO when XxSevagxX asked me to build something like Bulky-Hyper Offense.
Among all my HO teams in this post, this one's style is no doubt the closest to the mainstream style, with 5 attackers and only 1 utility mon. But when you play it, you will feel it more like a bulky-but-not-hyper balance, where you set up spikes, spread paralysis, attack at times, and also defend at times. I'm listing it as an HO but I know it's not. However, as I said at the beginning, the idea of HO is also in it.

Consistency is important to all teams in my opinion, which of course includes HO. And to be specific, in HO you should always play well to keep the momentum, but what if you fail to do so? It's [Nihilslave in October: I stopped writing here. But today I think it a good HO which is right at the edge of the HO definition.]
:spectrier::lunala::xerneas::type_null::chansey::yveltal:
:regigigas::xerneas::zygarde-complete::yveltal::type_null::spectrier:

[Nihilslave in October: I just post the notes to this team here since it can be found nowhere else thanks to XxLazzerpenguinxX.]
How to use:
- Scout with Zygarde-C and Type: Null, find chances to set webs, and then attack. DONOT blindly setup webs turn 1.
- Regigigas' Baton Pass is designed to dodge Core Enforcer and pass Atk to Xerneas.
- Regigigas is improofed by Spectrier. Xerneas is improofed by Type: Null. Zygarde-C and Yveltal improofs each other. Type: Null is improofed by whatever (Regigigas is recommended if it has its orb activated, but sometimes you have to improof with Xerneas.). Spectrier is improofed by Type: Null.
- Please DONOT CHANGE THE YVELTAL SET. Any change to it will make the team weak to Prankster Hazers. But still, you can try.
Weaknesses:
- Certain Magic Bounce Mons.
- Opposing Zygarde-C.
- Boots Xerneas.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
notes on teaching bh

so throughout my time playing this game i've been approached by many people of varying levels asking me for advice. this isn't because i'm particularly good at the game (i'm not) rather because i'm just terminally online and happen to be around. so this advice is for people like that i guess.

the biggest mistake i see people make in terms of teaching bh is telling newbies to scrap their current team and passing them a sample. unless the person is specifically asking for something like this, all you'll really end up doing is discouraging them and making them quit the game.

(tangent alert)

so i wasn't really sure why this was outside of "person tell me team bad :(", that was certainly part of it but it felt like there was more to the explanation. then recently i had this epiphany. so i was playing hypixel skyblock on minecraft (a game no one should play btw, the grinding is absolute hell) on a pretty new profile, and twice a random lobby player gave me a pretty decent weapon. this was seen as a "nice" thing to do. so yeah i have my good weapons now, and my next objective is...get better weapons. there was no meaningful difference in terms of gameplay, i was just kind of picked up and dropped into the middlegame.

and i think telling someone to scrap their current build and get a sample is kinda like that. sure, the sample will carry them in terms of beating the players at their level, but when they face stronger people who actually know how to build teams they can struggle, and if they want to build another, better team, then they have nowhere to start. i guess this is expressed well in the "give a man a fish and feed him for a day" thing, but in terms of game design.

(end tangent)

so when someone is asking for advice with their team, what they're typically really looking for is the process: how do they go about improving their own team if they have no one to help? what should their thought process look like? (this applies at all levels, too! especially because of how different the playstyles of the tournament players can be.)

because of this, i know this is a controversial thing to say but at low levels if someone has some silly cotton guard body press cosmoem or something like that i don't immediately scream at them to get rid of it. it's like, hell yeah dude, i bet you're taking names & winning games with that guy on the ladder. objective improvements (fire blast -> blue flare), yeah, but a lot of weird choices have at least some justification behind them, and you should respect that. there's nothing less cool than running some fucked up set that does 1 extremely specific thing and then just being told that “eternabeam and zap cannon are unviable and we should not encourage new players to think otherwise” your awesome ridiculous set is bad Because It Just Is. (worms </3)

the first thing you need to do when rating a team is ALWAYS to run simulations of it in your head and imagine what common scenarios it could encounter. this helps you avoid a lot of pitfalls. recently i was rating this one team and was initially like wow you get washed by simple ep etern except etern didn't 1v1 anything on the team so she could just avoid giving it setup. also everyone is really bad at this including me.

past that, i find a good place to start is just type coverage. i know i said that thing before about being lenient to new players, but they tend to have this bad habit of neglecting general pokemon principles because they think that sort of thing just doesn't apply in bh. it's like how i played 2 low ladder games in a row once and neither of my opponents had a fairy resist. the team should not be excessively weak to any type; even if you have a sturdy resist, make sure to prod as much as you can (running simulations vs mons of that type) to see how this resist will fare in actual gameplay.

the reason why i like to start with these 2 is because they work at all levels. like you tell an 1100 that their team gets 6-0d by ph regi and they're confused because they've never heard of ph regi before. you tell them that they have no ground resist and they're like huh yeah that ladder guy sure did kill 3 of my mons with his shift gear zygarde-c. then you tell sevag that his team loses to glance sd regi and he's like no one runs that they all run the shitty hazard uturn one that does nothing now. but you bring up the fact that his normal resist, electric resist, and ground resist are bounce giratina and he's like yeah i can see how that would cause issues.

doing this instead of just replacing "bad" sets with "good" ones also cuts straight to the reality of team rating and improvement, which is that it is hard work. the more effort that went into the team, the more effort you need to improve it. solutions will range from slightly changing the functionality to reworking multiple mons and moving hazards/defog around maybe. be active. discuss these possibilities with the other person to see which ones they like and dislike. sometimes there will be no clean solution. keep open the possibility of leaving the team unchanged--your job isn't to change the team as much as you can. if you wanna do that, then build a better one, bozo. run with the idea and show them your own implementation. (this is unironically a fantastic idea if ur in a building mood btw)

hazards and removal is another fundamental topic to cover. i tend to not do this with super new players cause they don't really care about hazards which is fine, but as soon as you're focused on building a "structure" and keeping common meta threats in mind, hazards need to be at the forefront of your brain. how easily does this team let up hazards? is spin xern good if you run into bounce ho-oh? can you get your hazards past common bouncers, or claim adequate compensation if not? also, i don't mean to make some grand judgmental statement here, but i will say that like 90% of my best & most fun teams have used their own rocks/spikes. if you don't have hazards then you can get into positions that are in my opinion extremely depressing and unfit for human play. i know some people play without em, but whenever i see someone deliberately forgo them i'm always like you sure you wanna play like this? do you wanna play the type of game that greybaum complains about in call for hours and somehow has 80 average centimon loss for both sides despite being 146 turns? maybe a bit prescriptive on my part so take all of that with a grain of salt i guess lol

this also goes for playing. when you play against someone it's really easy to be like yeah i won because your team is bad and mine isn't, also i looked at the pokepaste before the game (just to make sure i would win). playing analysis is about looking at specific details. what did x mon do in this game? how did it do it? if you're making a point about their set not really working, then this is where to make it, because you have an actual example to go off. ("cosmoem didn't do much here, i was able to wall it out pretty easily with my fighting resist, and it being reliant on leech seed for recovery means my regi won long-term.") i like to also include positive examples about x or y mon performing well, or good observations & plays they made in the game.

finally what i really want to say here is that teaching bh should be fun. this game is all about competition, so introducing an aspect of cooperation is a much-needed breath of fresh air. many times i've been pestered by someone i don't know who i assume will be annoying, and by the end i'm like yeah that was awesome go get those unplayers mister woobat master 57 (edit: lets go ivar). anyone who's online a decent amount of time will have a whole bunch of cool stuff to show someone and blow their mind. wow!! there are world cups for this??? whoa!! onyx onix 7 uses some crazy teams!!!! bh is great. love you guys. been a good gen

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

SV comes out very soon so I thought i'd drop my current thoughts on BH, mainly just because i'll probably forget lol

In terms of the meta itself, this is without a doubt the most balanced i've seen it. RegiXern archetypes remain the best in the meta but generally aren't overbearing and you can see reliable success with other mons and archetypes. Paralysis acts as a viable speed control tactic but is nowhere near as widespread and centralizing as once feared like during OMPL, and no offensive mons feel overwhelming to play against except maybe Kyurem-Black (which kind of just loses if you preserve Imposter and play real careful if you don't have it). Balance is of course the dominant playstyle, with Offense not too far behind, and Stall and HO seeing less use but still remaining viable in the right hands. As far as I can tell, the meta is basically solved for now.

However, it's unfortunately not all singing and dancing. A particular issue for me is the state of the BH ladder - it's pretty shit. If you have seen me type anything in discord then you probably know what i'm about to say, but ImprisonForm is an absolute blight on the meta and should have been axed long ago. I'm not exaggerating when this factor alone makes me not want to play ladder as i'm forced into running teams with bulky Ghost-types (which are kinda dodgy to fit when you don't already have one) and spending sometimes upwards of 30 turns constantly switching to said ghost in order to ensure I don't get randomly fucked over.
so you've got the above point about needing a ghost type, but on top of that you've also got ability variations on the users (most commonly zamac), meaning it's not even possible to reliably offensively pressure the users without risking the "oops, i v-created into fur coat, guess i'll lose this mon" situation, at which the impform user comes out on top as your probably-offensive mon is now dead and thus can't break past opposing walls. IMO this shit has far too much matchup variance and makes for completely unfun gameplay against it, regardless of whether you're instantly losing a mon or cycling out to a ghost type to burn turns until the oppo gets bored.

to further this, it's actually laughable how bad the DNB arguments are. the 2 main ones i'm seeing are "literally 0 tour usage" and "it's just a ladder thing".
  • the first one is just a joke, i'll be real - i don't think the people saying this remember that bans are supposed to impact both ladder and tour games, literally quoted from UT, and impform is the primary factor as to why ladder is no fun. other OMs are also worth bringing up as these have banned stuff with little to no tour usage for, you guessed it, being unhealthy (gene, electrify, luck items). can i also just point out that imprisonform was arguably the main reason zac-c was banned lol
  • putting impform down as "just a ladder thing" is completely naive and completely ignores the problem at hand. if something is a problem, then attributing the problem to some given factor doesn't solve the problem, it just makes everyone around you annoyed that you're not solving the problem. examples of kl4ng cheesing with moody in OMGS and moody getting banned 2 months later as well as stresh bringing impform zacc to ompl and rusted sword getting banned barely 3 weeks later I think are pretty good examples of things being blatantly broken or unhealthy but only banned as a knee-jerk reaction to someone bringing it to a tour setting.
one thing that i'm just saying is that there is no net negative to banning imprisonform from the tier - only good things come with ladder being more playable. this doesn't even need to be complex ban like sevag is alluding too above, literally just ban transform. it sees 0 viable use and removing it nullifies the strategy completely whilst still keeping the niche option of imprison open for stuff like improofing. maybe i'm just malding and off my head but has nobody clocked that this whole strategy is just a pisstake that nobody actually likes or wants in the tier? and do we actually want this to be a part of gen 9 meta? i certainly fucking don't
1667346739648.png
Outside of impform however, there's really nothing wrong with the meta IMO. Regigigas can seem a bit overwhelming at times, and other stuff like Prank Electrify/SubPass inflates turn count but is just otherwise kinda bad, but nothing else really jumps out as unreasonable or unhealthy. There was fears that Final Gambit would be overbearing but this has never really transpired outside of Gambit Eternatus, which mostly just ends up either running into a Zama-C brick wall and inting for progress or just not using Gambit. I'd be curious as to if anyone else shares these sentiments.

TL;DR Ban ImprisonForm, only positives come from it's removal and DNB arguments are frankly terrible.

While I do understand where arguments discussing imprison + transform are coming from, I simply don't believe that it's something which warrants tiering.

Trapping has long-withstanding been a premium way of quickly taking out an opponent's pokemon. These situations usually happen either because the opponent was taken off guard, or misplayed. Impform is one of many ways to take out a pokemon via trapping. Other methods include anchor shot + electrify, anchor shot + leppa berry recycle, anchor shot + prank encore, or anchor shot + advantageous match up, etc. (there are other ways of trapping to kill, and they would simply replace impform, so we should ban those as well?) What fundamentally makes the first few sets mentioned as being sub-optimal is because they are very one dimensional. Once the set is revealed it is generally easy to outplay them. On ladder, it has been long known that the optimal style to play bh is very safe, and this might mean bringing in a pokemon with a pivoting move on an unknown enemy, or using imposter (shed shell or not). For literally the entirety of BH, some of the most consistent teams on ladder have featured ghost types, and this is by no means a coincidence. Trapping shenanigans are rife, and they're the most safe ways of playing around them. Also, banning imprison + transform is a complex ban. Barring extenuating circumstances (literally none or terrible, niche counterplay) complex bans have not been tolerated in bh. The only "work-around" solution would be to ban imprison, and I personally am not too fond of it. I am not fond of the precedent it would set if we banned imprison + transform, so that's not a road I'd like to go down on.

While sure, maybe it would make ladder more bearable if imprison + transform was banned, I also don't like the precedent this sets for general tiering purposes. If I recall correctly, one of the things I stated when I became tier leader, was that I wanted to scrutinize / play devil's advocate for banning things as much as possible, to ensure that they were in fact ban-worthy. BH is the most sand-box esq tier barring Pure Hackmons, and I wanted to keep it that way. If imprison + transform is banned because of making ladder annoying, then by the same principles electrify, final gambit, sticky hold + leppa berry, etc would also have a strong basis to be banned. I don't believe that precedent to be right.

Also, in BH, there are tour teams, and there are ladder teams. Tour teams tend not to be as successful on ladder, as teams built for ladder, and this has been historically observed throughout all generations of BH. To amply prep for ladder, one must have counter play to impform in mind, the simplest being literally a slow regenvest (or any other mon) pivot, ghost pokemon, or shed shell imposter. These are not difficult to fit onto a team, and there are still other options when dealing with impform. Additionally, it would be argued that impform would be most uncompetitive in a tournament setting since this would be when they would have the most suprise, but these have not been seen since Zacian-C. Along with a desire to not set a precedent, I find that on the basis of being "uncompetitive" is something impform is not.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
see the problem is that all the ghosts fuckin suck. its like you have giratina which is nigh-indefensible in current year because of it letting in the two most dangerous mons in the tier (xern and etern, not to mention stuff like kyub horse yveltal) and can maybe be justified on specific builds but is very clearly not the bastion of consistency that people thought it once was. and then past that you have...what exactly? lunala's issues with getting paralyzed by regigigas & worn down by spikes are very well documented at this pt (people love to get tour player cred by nomming it down on the vr). dusclops is used by people who can't be trusted with six good pokemon. horse obviously is silly as an anchor switchin and fits on like 5% of teams anyway (same for pult). lydia loves gira-o and it might be underrated but i'm going off current cultural relevance & personal experience rather than hypotheticals.

the simplest being literally a slow regenvest (or any other mon) pivot
if you could beat imprisonform with 1 pivot i would agree that its perfectly manageable. the problem is you can't do this. problems mainly arise after you switch out and have to send in a replacement, which puts you in a sticky situation if they're imprisoned. so you can't hard switch back to your pivot because they anchor you on the switch and you die next turn, leaving offensive pressure as pretty much your only option, which is heavily matchup dependent & loses to the wrong ability or mon as mr guzzler pointed out. if you're 2 pivots you get around this but 2 pivots is (generally speaking) a bad playstyle that takes 300 turns to beat any team with imposter on it.

the thing with shed shell is i just don't know how you fit it nowadays. anything designed to take hits from regigigas should have boots cause otherwise you get owned by spikes (or at least helmet), and anything designed to take hits from xerneas should also probably have boots cause boomburst hits hella hard and as lilith's illustrious career has showed me, the addition of spikes chip into the equation makes it completely unmanageable defensively. so what exactly are we left with? shed shell mg ho-oh? shed shell psea zamac? shed shell soundproof grounds? none of these pokemon make any sense.

out of hazards, paralysis, and trapping, trapping is the one i've skipped preparing for nowadays. this is because all the players that use it are 1400 rated ladder guys that can go up 2 mons against me and have a fucking flash fire zamazenta-c that gets a kill every time it comes in, and still fail to convert the advantage. however, when pushed to its full potential i believe that it stretches the meta to its breaking point in terms of what's possible to prepare for. "ladder teams vs tour teams" is a myth, if your teams do well on one but not the other i legitimately think you are approaching the game completely incorrectly.

"nooo we can't ban anything unless a sinnohremakes person uses it to go 3-2 in some team tour" once im done with irl obligations i'll step out of semi-retirement to get this shit banned within a week with only people who never played against me complaining about the ban. imprisonform etern, imprisonform regi, imprisonform zygc, imprisonform xern. throw soundness out the window. fuck you. this is what you deserve

to aid the current discussion, i've decided to compile a list of (somewhat or potentially) viable impform sets for your use. keep in mind, not all of these are equally good! some are better and some are worse. however, i think all of them are unfair cheese that have no place in a balanced metagame.

:ss/zamazenta-crowned:
Zamazenta-Crowned @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Scales(or like any ability lol)
Jolly Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Imprison
- Transform
- Shore Up
ah, the classic! no secret why zamac is the most popular impformer. stab anchor, big bulk, high speed, it has it all. plus, anchor is on almost every defensive zamac, so thats not a giveaway on what set you're running. you already know why this set is good, why bother explaining?

:ss/eternatus:
Eternatus @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator(or maybe swap core for recovery? but thats mid)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Core Enforcer
- Thunder Cage
- Imprison
- Transform
see, now we're talking! the goal of this set is to trap something that would usually beat etern with thunder cage, and then do the standard impform stuff. but unlike the zamac shown before, its not as bad against the ghosts! it has a strong lo core enforcer to smack the shit out of tina with! you could even go black sludge if you're worried about life orb recoil while transformed. overall, good bait if you want to show people why some dumb shit is broken ;)

:ss/xerneas:
Xerneas @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Anchor Shot(maybe tcage)
- Imprison
- Transform
the main goal of this set is to absolutely RUIN the common switch in to impform, tina-a. unless you run scales and let your opponent go 5-6 from turn 0, xern just cleaves through it with ease, meaning it cant stop it from impforming a teammate. xern's excellent natural bulk means it can live at least ONE hit from something slower. additionally, imprisoning anchor shot before the transform means that zamac cannot do meaningful damage to you without many tkick def drops. ofc, it has a big weakness, that being the lack of recovery. thats something this next xern set doesnt fix in the slightest.

Xerneas @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Tough Claws(now that im typing this maybe regen is better)
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Thousand Waves
- Imprison
- Transform
6 am smogon is a drug, kids. the goal of this set is to rend ho-oh(the most common ground immune), rend scales don, and fuck over everything else on the opposing team with twaves. really, you can just treat this as a rend spammer that maybe can try to impform against a scales zygod that thinks its safe. this really isnt meant to be good, moreso just a showcase that impform isnt limited to click-trap-button machines.

so, whats the point of this? why make it? its simple: impform is a blight on a great metagame. it can be slapped on suboptimal sets that waste valuable team slots with the best mons in the meta, and still be good. it can beat its few forms of counterplay with options that i havent even covered here(wicked blow impform ygod? glance twaves impform kyu-b?). you cant just say "its a ladder thing," because there arent any major bh tourneys LEFT outside of swiss stage 2. and if thats enough to not ban it, then i will use impform on SOMETHING throughout every single match in swiss and make it work. i have one final thing to say: use aeriray

Tea Guzzler

i slept on it and here is some more stuff on the issue:

a somewhat founded idea i see is that, if impform goes, why don't we just ban all the other annoying stuff or won't something just crop up to replace it. the first bit is fair enough, however this sort of leads into the second point of my second point of impform being vastly different from other annoying stuff in terms of counterplay. the examples sev gives are honestly fake - leppa does not exist and no mentally sound person is going to routinely run leppa stall, i have seen one (1) instance of anchor electrify in my whole time on PS, never seen prank encore but i sure do love autolosing to bounce - however even putting this to the side there is clear and distinct counterplay for each (priority, knock/cgas/just kill it, yveltal/bounce respectively) that you've probably got on the average team without needing to vastly change it. impform is funny because you can simply load into a game and not have a counter, and even if you do you need to play lame and careful to not just have your ghost type invalidated, plus the "wrong ability bozo" situation. save pivoting around it is fake, to not incur the ability problem you need to run terrible dual slow pivot structures that take 6 millenia to do actually anything. there is no reasonable alternative that will replace imprisonform.

also, i did end up laddering on an alt with imprisonform spam like a said i would end up doing, and i rammed together this 3 impform team in about 5 mins. i just don't understand how easy it is to force strangleholds with impform and actively punish players for making the right decision (like seriously do you just stay in and keel over to boomburst's damage, or do you go to your resist and just get trapped/removed because i sealed anchor and now you can't hit me). you've also got the issue of ghosts being the best (and arguably only) safe check to imprisonform, which 1. you're using ghost types and 2. even these aren't unmovable, which is why toxic don is used since if i simply have imprison up then you're forced to switch out, get anchored and probably lose one. the fact that i can have three mons with basically the exact same moves and still not have to think hard to win is kind of fucked, don't you think?
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700852562-lwaodrulz82t50z09zz6vsqbswx2wwupw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700858399-j2iugvehk4xvhe4ibywdxaxuua4nadjpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700861061-t5j05nplkftzadzkrpyl138j8zdzx7bpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700865135-t5bpksrwp8t7qwm25vt3qx9qopqdqd0pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700868712-tni31lp4n5cxtldpswdjo5at3opf38upw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700872661-lv2jr97se3lr2i82ihrr0sq065gge0cpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700881815-e9cni4tqlpk3aqna752ualipzvvkk0cpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700886835-l6ea4ngqj4794tjs5tbzmbze4x3oo7mpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700890137-1wwkmhsoh5x05rukw7lqg6xj9u97hk4pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700894284-fkhphsae1ehf55c1avx7ccjn28lif45pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700902099-h1y1gqcp0ryeqvnkmpqlck8jehjgjjwpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700907238-tpxx2vggd1trgq02e76suu5cscx6iikpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700913460-6hysig0angiszqrrjqun9cuwdgzama2pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700920701-1cty3daet23g7edhykc6d8bl34a4majpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700928415-3kas0p822bqsisedvx635a52adc3k4npw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700930752-whd2gofl6lsca1bzx2b1bup8q3kihc3pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700963159-d5xsaqu6002dxma5sef3aoac3bml8hepw
sifting through these is probably too much hassle for anyone, but the general gist is that i can misplay, have opponents do the correct play and still be fine because i can randomly trap and eliminate their team, even if they have bulky ghost types.
1667402847996.png

22 also isn't the biggest sample size (and the 2 losses weren't to impform being bad btw, i think they were simple sd gigas and something else idr) but gameplay with this isn't even fun like you'd expect it to be so i cba to ladder further. you get no kicks out of trapping and removing the 7th ho-oh that did what they were supposed to.
i am still almost whole-heartedly confident that impform does nothing healthy for the meta and banning it only brings positives, + if it doesn't get banned by the end of this gen i would put down actual money that it gets banned within a month of someone bringing it to a big tour. anti-ban arguments are still shit and unjustified lol

i slept on it and here is some more stuff on the issue:

a somewhat founded idea i see is that, if impform goes, why don't we just ban all the other annoying stuff or won't something just crop up to replace it. the first bit is fair enough, however this sort of leads into the second point of my second point of impform being vastly different from other annoying stuff in terms of counterplay. the examples sev gives are honestly fake - leppa does not exist and no mentally sound person is going to routinely run leppa stall, i have seen one (1) instance of anchor electrify in my whole time on PS, never seen prank encore but i sure do love autolosing to bounce - however even putting this to the side there is clear and distinct counterplay for each (priority, knock/cgas/just kill it, yveltal/bounce respectively) that you've probably got on the average team without needing to vastly change it. impform is funny because you can simply load into a game and not have a counter, and even if you do you need to play lame and careful to not just have your ghost type invalidated, plus the "wrong ability bozo" situation. save pivoting around it is fake, to not incur the ability problem you need to run terrible dual slow pivot structures that take 6 millenia to do actually anything. there is no reasonable alternative that will replace imprisonform.

also, i did end up laddering on an alt with imprisonform spam like a said i would end up doing, and i rammed together this 3 impform team in about 5 mins. i just don't understand how easy it is to force strangleholds with impform and actively punish players for making the right decision (like seriously do you just stay in and keel over to boomburst's damage, or do you go to your resist and just get trapped/removed because i sealed anchor and now you can't hit me). you've also got the issue of ghosts being the best (and arguably only) safe check to imprisonform, which 1. you're using ghost types and 2. even these aren't unmovable, which is why toxic don is used since if i simply have imprison up then you're forced to switch out, get anchored and probably lose one. the fact that i can have three mons with basically the exact same moves and still not have to think hard to win is kind of fucked, don't you think?
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700852562-lwaodrulz82t50z09zz6vsqbswx2wwupw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700858399-j2iugvehk4xvhe4ibywdxaxuua4nadjpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700861061-t5j05nplkftzadzkrpyl138j8zdzx7bpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700865135-t5bpksrwp8t7qwm25vt3qx9qopqdqd0pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700868712-tni31lp4n5cxtldpswdjo5at3opf38upw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700872661-lv2jr97se3lr2i82ihrr0sq065gge0cpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700881815-e9cni4tqlpk3aqna752ualipzvvkk0cpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700886835-l6ea4ngqj4794tjs5tbzmbze4x3oo7mpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700890137-1wwkmhsoh5x05rukw7lqg6xj9u97hk4pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700894284-fkhphsae1ehf55c1avx7ccjn28lif45pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700902099-h1y1gqcp0ryeqvnkmpqlck8jehjgjjwpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700907238-tpxx2vggd1trgq02e76suu5cscx6iikpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700913460-6hysig0angiszqrrjqun9cuwdgzama2pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700920701-1cty3daet23g7edhykc6d8bl34a4majpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700928415-3kas0p822bqsisedvx635a52adc3k4npw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700930752-whd2gofl6lsca1bzx2b1bup8q3kihc3pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1700963159-d5xsaqu6002dxma5sef3aoac3bml8hepw
sifting through these is probably too much hassle for anyone, but the general gist is that i can misplay, have opponents do the correct play and still be fine because i can randomly trap and eliminate their team, even if they have bulky ghost types.
View attachment 462036
22 also isn't the biggest sample size (and the 2 losses weren't to impform being bad btw, i think they were simple sd gigas and something else idr) but gameplay with this isn't even fun like you'd expect it to be so i cba to ladder further. you get no kicks out of trapping and removing the 7th ho-oh that did what they were supposed to.
i am still almost whole-heartedly confident that impform does nothing healthy for the meta and banning it only brings positives, + if it doesn't get banned by the end of this gen i would put down actual money that it gets banned within a month of someone bringing it to a big tour. anti-ban arguments are still shit and unjustified lol
While I see what you are stating about Imprison Transform, and I most certainly agree that it can be unhealthy in some respects, it still isn't unhealthy enough to warrant a ban. As stated before by sevag there are other annoying / unhealthy gimmicks in Balanced Hackmons like Fairy Lock + Accupressure traps, Final Gambit cheese, Electrify, and Leppa berry shenanigans (All of which I have seen occasional success on the ladder and in some tours). Imprison Transform isn't unique in its ability to inconsistently cheese wins and most certainly isn't a greater issue than a lot of the other methods. For one each method has to make major concessions to work and Imprison Transform is no exception. With Imprison Transform one is essentially giving up the all the moveslots on a pokemon for a chance to cheese a win or a few kills. Chance is a keyword in the prior sentence as there is no guarantee the sacrifice of 3 valuable moveslots will even pay off as if an opponent has even a single Shed Shell or Ghost-type it just flops.

In addition to having to make the concession of moveslots Imprison transform also takes multiple turns to use which means a cessation of momentum must also be made in order to use it more often than not. All of these cessations I described make the strategy fairly straightforward to play around even if there isn't a direct counter present. In addition to that having a hard counter in the first place is a minimal-effort affair as slapping on a single Shed Shell, Phazing move or Ghost-type is typically enough to shut down even multiple Imprison Transform users. Considering Eternatus, Xerneas, and Regigigas often require multiple pokemon slots to beat, a single item slot , Ghost type, or moveslot isn't much of an ask.

Thus while Imprison Transform might be annoying and slightly uncompetitive, there is no shortage of viable counterplay and more concessions will often have to be made on the part of using it as opposed to countering it. Henceforth, Imprison isn't unique amongst gimmicks and isn't something that's problematic to an extent where banning should be a consideration.

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

While I see what you are stating about Imprison Transform, and I most certainly agree that it can be unhealthy in some respects, it still isn't unhealthy enough to warrant a ban. As stated before by sevag there are other annoying / unhealthy gimmicks in Balanced Hackmons like Fairy Lock + Accupressure traps, Final Gambit cheese, Electrify, and Leppa berry shenanigans (All of which I have seen occasional successful on the ladder and in some tours). Imprison Transform isn't unique in its ability to inconsistently cheese wins and most certainly isn't a greater issue than a lot of the other methods. For one each method has to make major concessions to work and Imprison Transform is no exception. With Imprison Transform one is essentially giving up the all the moveslots on a pokemon for a chance to cheese a win or a few kills. Chance is a keyword in the prior sentence as there is no guarantee the sacrifice of 3 valuable moveslots will even pay off as if an opponent has even a single Shed Shell or Ghost-type it just flops.

In addition to having to make the concession of moveslots Imprison transform also takes multiple turns to use which means a cessation of momentum must also be made in order to use it more often than not. All of these cessations I described make the strategy fairly straightforward to play around even if there isn't a direct counter present. In addition to that having a hard counter in the first place is a minimal-effort affair as slapping on a single Shed Shell or Ghost-type like Duslcops is typically enough to shut down even multiple Imprison Transform users. Considering Eternatus, Xerneas, and Regigigas often require multiple pokemon slots to beat, a single item slot or Ghost type isn't much of an ask.

Thus while Imprison Transform might be annoying and slightly uncompetitive, there is no shortage of viable counterplay and more concessions will often have to be made on the part of using it as opposed to countering it. Henceforth, while Imprison Transform may be annoying it both isn't unique in that respect and isn't something that's problematic enough to really warrant a ban.
  • fairy lock, leppa berry and electrify (trapping) do not realistically exist. IMO these are all theoretical methods of trapping (that have seen EXTREMELY little use to the point of being basically irrelevant) that are being used to pad an otherwise weak argument (literally, NOBODY in their right mind is going to routinely load up a PP stall team or deal with fairy lock + eject button, which autoloses to knock, only works once, can't even be redone if you somehow fail the acupressure sweep and can just randomly fail by not getting hit). ImpForm is significantly more efficient and reliable than any other trap methods.
  • ImpForm can absolutely work in the face of Shed Shell or Ghost-types. The ghost types are all fat, slow and passive, meaning that even if imprisonform magically just disappears from your set you're still mostly playing 5-5, and on top of this ghost types are far from immovable with the various physical attackers possibly just invalidating them or even just using toxic like i did in my last post. Shed Shell is basically unjustifiable nowadays (since everything that wants shed shell is probably already running a pivot move or wants other items magnitudes more) and even still, Knock Off simply exists + you being forced to go to your Shed Shell mon every single time the ImpFormer hits the field (assuming you even know what it is) is mad exploitable.
  • If you're claiming kills with ImpForm, then you're still likely forcing the enemy to go to their improofer (particulatly if they had a boosting move), thus giving away no momentum at all, or the enemy just doesn't have any safe answer to which you don't even need to maintain momentum to make progress. The multiple turn limit is a load of shite, Imprisoning first is always the option and in most cases will snuff pretty much any non-ghost counterplay chances, as the likelihood that they can both go to something that goes first AND OHKOes you is near minimal.
  • Randomly slapping Ghost-types and Shed Shell on a team (thus only changing one resource) sounds easy in theory, with the example you give of checking the main threats taking multiple mons being fair enough. However, when you look at the small (3) "viable" Ghost-types that are usable defensively, you start to see that they all have massively exploitable flaws that ruin any easy chances of this - Lunala has 2 4x weaknesses and slotting this in as your Fur Coat user if you haven't built around it is usually impossible, Giratina is a slow passive Dragon that gets default danced on by practically the entire meta, and Dusclops folds instantly to Knock Off (or just viable teams lol).
to sum up: impform is absolutely unique in that 1. it's a trapping method that actually gets used, 2. it isn't going to be replaced by anything if it gets banned, 3. counterplay is purposefully gimping your team with hard-to-fit exploitable stuff (like seriously do you expect impform teams to just not have prep for ghost types, their 1 viable counter) and 4. otherwise viable team structures can just automatically lose because they didn't go regenvest + moldy band user or unviable double regenvest teams.

e: running impform without recovery (ie. with a way to beat ghosts already on the set) is aggressively mid/bad, i was thinking more about how with a ghost you're having to use it to cover for so much that it's easy to just slot one random poison fang and completely just sitting in front of the impformer. the last point below is also somewhat misrepresentative since, with big offensive threats, you usually have an out with just general offensive pressure which you don't really have with impform (because you're using impform on some of the bulkiest stuff going + you can't really plan in advance for it because you don't know it's there). i still stand by the shed shell bit about it being basically unjustifiable nowadays, and to second this i don't think using one single prepped-for item to bandage over the weakness is even viable.

also do this form because i can't do polls from one post and want community opinion

Last edited:
  • fairy lock, leppa berry and electrify (trapping) do not realistically exist. IMO these are all theoretical methods of trapping (that have seen EXTREMELY little use to the point of being basically irrelevant) that are being used to pad an otherwise weak argument (literally, NOBODY in their right mind is going to routinely load up a PP stall team or deal with fairy lock + eject button, which autoloses to knock, only works once, can't even be redone if you somehow fail the acupressure sweep and can just randomly fail by not getting hit). ImpForm is significantly more efficient and reliable than any other trap methods.
While these strategies are rare they do in fact exist and have been worked with. I've almost laddered to the 1700s with Fairy Lock trapping and at one point got to 1st place on the ladder with Leppa Berry Stall (Though the Leppa berry stall was a while ago). Maybe that's because I'm the only one crazy enough to venture into such territory though.

• ImpForm can absolutely work in the face of Shed Shell or Ghost-types. The ghost types are all fat, slow and passive, meaning that even if imprisonform magically just disappears from your set you're still mostly playing 5-5, and on top of this ghost types are far from immovable with the various physical attackers possibly just invalidating them or even just using toxic like i did in my last post. Shed Shell is basically unjustifiable nowadays (since everything that wants shed shell is probably already running a pivot move or wants other items magnitudes more) and even still, Knock Off simply exists + you being forced to go to your Shed Shell mon every single time the ImpFormer hits the field (assuming you even know what it is) is mad exploitable.
While there are ways around ghost types, Imprison Transform users often have to forgo recovery or defensive abilities in order to beat Ghost Types, which opens them up to more proactive forms or counterplay. Additionally, Ghost Types are far from dead weight, Giratina is an excellent stop to many threats like Regigigas and Ho-Oh, and Zamazenta and Dusclops is an excellent Prankster Pivot. Shed Shell also has viable uses, especially to escape Thunderous Kick Zamazenta and other trappers if a team might lack a good escape otherwise, and is easy to fit (It's simply just one item slot).

• Randomly slapping Ghost-types and Shed Shell on a team (thus only changing one resource) sounds easy in theory, with the example you give of checking the main threats taking multiple mons being fair enough. However, when you look at the small (3) "viable" Ghost-types that are usable defensively, you start to see that they all have massively exploitable flaws that ruin any easy chances of this - Lunala has 2 4x weaknesses and slotting this in as your Fur Coat user if you haven't built around it is usually impossible, Giratina is a slow passive Dragon that gets default danced on by practically the entire meta, and Dusclops folds instantly to Knock Off (or just viable teams lol).
Since Thunderous Kick Zamazenta and other non-Imprison Trappers are so common Ghost types are used frequently regardless of Imprison Transform existing or not. Yes, Ghost types and Shed Shell can struggle vs much of the meta, but they are also necessary in many cases to stand a chance against trapping strategies in general.

to sum up: impform is absolutely unique in that 1. it's a trapping method that actually gets used, 2. it isn't going to be replaced by anything if it gets banned, 3. counterplay is purposefully gimping your team with hard-to-fit exploitable stuff (like seriously do you expect impform teams to just not have prep for ghost types, their 1 viable counter) and 4. otherwise viable team structures can just automatically lose because they didn't go regenvest + moldy band user or unviable double regenvest teams.
I certainly agree with the first two points you make. However, fitting a Shed Shell or a Ghost Type is hardly gimping a team as both see use anyway as general countermeasures to trapping strategies. Also otherwise viable team structures can lose to any threat they aren't adequately prepared for. Many teams lose to Blacepheon and Rayquaza because they don't specifically have a Ghost-resistant special wall or Flash Fire Steel type (both of which generally slow a team down vs the majority of the meta). Actually preparing for the Imprison Transform, like preparing for any other fringe strategy or pokemon generally helps a lot to win vs it.

Last edited:
shed shell isn't a viable answer in at least 50 percent of cases because you're assuming that knock off isn't one of the most spammed moves in the tier, the only viable shed sheller that you won't be switching into knock offs is blissey I believe, also from my play in aaa and my limited play in hackmons I believe that overall impform is an uncompetitive strategy

also due to the nature of hackmons literally any pokemon can learn knock off, even the impformer, there goes your counter

I'm 22-3 atm and I think one of my losses has been to impform, one thing I don't believe has been mentioned is aegislash, it does seem to counter the common impformers, I run a mold breaker stealth rock setter aegislash, of course there are impform sets that probably ko aegislash, maybe heatran, who knows, there are options

I am very new to the tier but I'll be thinking in the meantime

I run 2 shedshells and aegislash btw, also due to the nature of hackmons really anything can be an impformer making it near impossible to prepare for, generally I think trapping is uncompetitive but maybe that's going too far

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
one thing I don't believe has been mentioned is aegislash, it does seem to counter the common impformers, I run a mold breaker stealth rock setter aegislash, of course there are impform sets that probably ko aegislash, maybe heatran, who knows, there are options
will say i did forget to mention aegi. i've widely spoken in the past about how much i hate this mon, but recently i found a niche for it on this team thanks to it being a flying/ice/fairy resistant mon that didn't get harassed by zamac (as you can see, if i instead have something like registeel there, then i'm left with the most zamac weak team in history). the main problems with it i think are 1) non-prank is fairly easily getting chipped down into pixie plate xern boomburst range 2) can't hope to beat regigigas at all (really bad news for a ghost/steel type) 3) i think as a prank mon, darm-z has a better defensive profile than this, notably switching into vcreate and beating vcreate/rend xern. that said i think aegi is justifiable on zygc imposter type structures like that one.

what other ghosts did i forget? blace and marsh fall under why are you switching this in (and dies to waves/shackle imprisonformers), doublade is unusable because it still doesnt actually beat regigigas, jelly pumpkin and spiritomb are fringe but besides that are fine as mons, dawn wings doesnt really deserve to be mentioned over lunala, and bounce mimikyu was really really funny in gen 7 but has pretty much no reason to be used nowadays. dhelmise marowak-a and rune are unexplored but seem irrelevant for the discussion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)