B&W Research Thread

I have a few questions:

1) Given the fact: Color Change does not activate if hit by a Sheer Force user

Does Color Change activate if the used move has no secondary effect? If no, a) is the move boosted then and/or b) is Life Orb recoil prevented?

2) What does happen in a 2on2 battle, if Mirror Move is used on at a partner which used Acupressure a) on itself b) on its partner?

phantom

Banned deucer.

Does Color Change activate if the used move has no secondary effect?
Yes, assuming it's an attacking move.

b) is Life Orb recoil prevented?
Life Orb recoil is only prevented if a move has a secondary effect that doesn't always happen. For example, a sheer force mon using Ice beam would not take LO recoil b/c of the 10% chance freeze rate. However, the same thing would not apply to a move like frost breath, which always gets a crit and therefor is not boosted by sheer force and will face a subsequent Life Orb recoil.

2) What does happen in a 2on2 battle, if Mirror Move is used on at a partner which used Acupressure a) on itself b) on its partner?
This question is a little vague, but here goes. If you use mirror move on your teammate that is using acupressure, the Pokemon using mirror move will be able to use acupressure just like its teammate. For mirror move to activate in this case, the Pokemon using mirror move will have to be slower than its teammate or acupressure will have to be used the previous turn (if it's faster) for it to work. Mirror move basically copies the last move the target uses. Hope this helps.

This question is a little vague, but here goes. If you use mirror move on your teammate that is using acupressure, the Pokemon using mirror move will be able to use acupressure just like its teammate. For mirror move to activate in this case, the Pokemon using mirror move will have to be slower than its teammate or acupressure will have to be used the previous turn (if it's faster) for it to work. Mirror move basically copies the last move the target uses. Hope this helps.
I ask because Acupressure can be used as a boosting move like Swords Dance but also to boost your partner (like Helping Hand) - but not your opponent (like Heal Pulse). But which effect will be copied? Mirror Move cannot target yourself.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I ask because Acupressure can be used as a boosting move like Swords Dance but also to boost your partner (like Helping Hand) - but not your opponent (like Heal Pulse). But which effect will be copied? Mirror Move cannot target yourself.
If the mirror move mon uses acupressure, it actually uses the move on itself. There really is no way it can use it on another target as far as I'm aware of, teammate or otherwise. It's kind of like how heal pulse can't be copied by mirror move, because the move works on everything but the user and there's no way to control the direction of the attack. The reason why acupressure works is because you can use it on yourself, heal pulse fails because you can only use it on a target. The current mechanics for Mirror Move doesn't allow that kind of degree of manipulation where you can just pick and choose where the attack goes. Does this make sense?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I have a few questions:

Does Color Change activate if the used move has no secondary effect? If no, a) is the move boosted then and/or b) is Life Orb recoil prevented?

1. A Sheer Force user's move has to be boosted by Sheer Force for any additional effects to be negated. If the move is boosted, the target's Color Change, Red Card, Eject Button, and/or Pickpocket won't activate, as well as the user's Life Orb recoil or Shell Bell recovery. If the move is not boosted, all of those effects can take place as normal.

So yes, Color Change will activate if the move has no secondary effect.

2. Acupressure can't be copied by Mirror Move. Related: Mirror Move can't copy any self-targeting move.

Mental Herb also removes the effect of Heal Block. My description for Mental Herb now says:

When holder is infatuated or Disable, Encore, Heal Block, Taunt, or Torment is in effect against the holder, holder is no longer infatuated and those moves' effects end against the holder, and this item is consumed.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I have a question about Custap Berry. Basically, it involves Custap Berry with the use of Harvest, and Fly.

I was trying out Tropius on Pokemon Showdown, because I had this theory that if you're under 25% and you use Custap Berry, your Custap Berry would be eaten on the first turn of Fly, making you fly up before the opponent could attack you. Then, on the second turn, I figured that you'd come down with your regular Speed (no Custap), since the 2 turns of Fly are technically just one attack since it only uses 1 PP. Then, I figured that with Harvest and Sun, I'd get my Custap Berry back and be able to do it again, essentially using Fly without being touched.

However, it did not work that way on Pokemon Showdown. The first turn, Tropius ate its Custap Berry and flew up as normal, but then in the second turn, it ate another Custap Berry (which it got due to Harvest), and then flew down first, therefore eating 2 Custap Berries in one move.

I'm just wondering, is that the way Custap Berry + Harvest + Fly is supposed to work in-game? It just seems very strange that Tropius would eat 2 Custap Berries in one use of Fly.

I'm just wondering, is that the way Custap Berry + Harvest + Fly is supposed to work in-game? It just seems very strange that Tropius would eat 2 Custap Berries in one use of Fly.
Yes, that's what is supposed to happen. My description for Custap Berry says:

"If holder has 1/4 of its maximum HP or less and holder is holding this item after commands are chosen but before Pokémon are switched out, this item is consumed and holder strikes before all other Pokémon whose moves have equal or lower priority than holder’s move this turn."

Because Tropius had low HP and was holding a Custap Berry after each turn started, it could use that berry during both turns, even in the middle of a two-turn attack like Fly. However, after Fly ends, Tropius will get the Custap Berry back (assuming it's still in battle and the sun continues by then).

Last edited:
If a Multiscale Pokemon gets a substitute up and retains full health, will the opposing Pokemon have to take the equivalent of half of the Multiscale pokemon's health? Simply put, does a substitute get the benefits of Multiscale?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If a Multiscale Pokemon gets a substitute up and retains full health, will the opposing Pokemon have to take the equivalent of half of the Multiscale pokemon's health? Simply put, does a substitute get the benefits of Multiscale?
yes, your substitute is basically twice as durable when the multiscale is up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)