Awake and Dreaming.. - [Gen V DW OU Team]

Introduction //

Greetings everyone! First off, I'd just like to wish everyone a happy new year, and I hope you all had great times over the holidays. Now, let us get down to business. I had been trying to put off fifth generation battling for as long as possible, but I finally caved, and I sure am glad I did. All the new Black & White changes make for some crazy battles. So, after playing Gen V for a bit over a month now, I've decided to post my favourite (and most successful) Dream World team. My best regular wi-fi OU team is a Sandstorm team, and I'm sure four of those get posted every day, so I'll give you cats something different to look at. ;D When I was building this team, I basically just tried to slap together as many broken moves and Pokémon as I could at first, but it has actually worked pretty well, I've won a few 32-man single elimination tournaments with it, but let's see if we can't make it better. Keep in mind I play on both Smogon and the PO server, because I hate how the Smogon server has team reveal for Dream World. Anyway, I don't know what I'm even talking about any more, so let's get to it, shall we?

Team Building Process //
I first made this team back in November I think it was, so some of the Pokémon that are now uber were still OU at the time. I wanted a chance to use an uber in OU before it got banned as I knew it would, so for my lead I went with a TrickScarf Darkrai.

Now that I had a lead, it was time to set up some entry hazards to punish my opponent if they want to switch out. It took me all of two seconds to decide on Nattorei, as it can not only set up hazards, but it's also a great check to rain teams and an overall awesome defensive pivot.

Of course, while both these Pokémon are great, they do share a weakness to fighting, and fighting is a pretty popular type I hear. So the next man on the roster is one of last generation's OUs that got a sweet new Dream World ability. Say hello to Poison Heal Gliscor! He has great defense and resists fighting while threatening with super effective STAB. He's also got a super effective STAB for the fire types that threaten Nattorei.

Speaking of Pokémon that got a huge boost with Dream World, here comes the team's first set-up sweeper, and one of my overall favourite Pokémon ever, it's Technician Breloom. This guy was already a monster in Gen IV with Poison Heal and SporePunching, but now with Technician and Mach Punch, he's got a whole new game to play.

Next we get to set-up sweeper number two. I went all the way back to one of the forgotten treasures of Gen I who got a huge boost this generation as well. However, this time it wasn't in the form of an ability, but in the form of a move. Boosting both attacking stats and speed by 2 in one turn is pretty good I hear, so the fifth teamslot goes to Shell Break Cloyster.

Finally, I knew that I needed a revenge killer on the team. Again, I didn't have to think long for this one. Shadow Tag is broken, and Shandera has it. Scarf Shandera is one of the best (if not the best) revenge killers this generation, so she'll round out the team.

This was the team for quite some time, and it did quite well. However, then came the suspect testing, and after the first round, it's been decided that Darkrai needs to take a hike and head back to ubers. While I do agree with the decision, it left me without a lead for this team. I really like this team, and wasn't going to scrap it because of something like that, so I found a new lead. It doesn't have a sleep move, but it still Tricks its Scarf and it's still annoying as hell... it's Jirachi!

This team is based around abusing the Dream World abilities of three different Pokémon, but they are all surely awake and rady to fight, so without further ado, I present...

- Team Awake and Dreaming -

Jirachi @

Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Iron Head
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Trick

Description:
Jirachi makes a fine lead for several reasons, and not just the fact that it's so cute that I want to punch myself in the face. I like the fact that it can go on the offensive and frustrate my opponent right out of the gates with Iron Head + Serene Grace. Iron Head is your STAB move, and thanks to Serene Grace, it has a 60% chance to flinch, and with the Choice Scarf, you can definitely put that to good use. Next come the coverage moves. Ice Punch hits all those nasty ground types that want to hurt cute little Jirachi with their Earthquakes, while Fire Punch nails the steel types that resist the first two attacks. Finally, Trick is in the last slot so that if I feel like I can cripple something like Blissey or a Pokémon that tried to set-up, Jirachi can Trick its Scarf onto that Pokémon. I chose a Jolly nature with max speed so that Jirachi can flinch as many things as possible, as well as at worst speed tie with other +nature base 100s. 252 EVs in attack to hit as hard as I could, and the rest in special defense so that download Pokémon get an attack boost instead. For the item, obvious Choice Scarf is obvious on a TrickScarf set.

Possible changes: The other two moves I've been really looking at are ThunderPunch and U-turn. ThunderPunch would be nice because right now all three of Jirachi's damaging attacks are resisted by water types, and Scarf U-turn is always nice for scouting. I really wish Jirachi could have more than four moves. Any suggestions here would be really helpful!

Nattorei @

Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/160 Def/92 SpD
Speed IV of 1
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Power Whip
Gyro Ball

Description:
Nattorei is my hazard layer and defensive pivot. More often than not, if I need to scout a move, good ol' Natty comes in to tank the hit like nobody's business, while dishing out some Iron Barbs damage in the process. Nattorei also have the very important responsibility of being the only Pokémon on this team that can set up entry hazards. The majority of the time I'll get Stealth Rock down first, then hopefully stack a layer or two or Spikes if things go my way. The other two moves are for attacking, so that Nattorei isn't dead weight when Taunted. Power Whip is an awesome STAB attack and it shreds most of the water types that Nattorei loves switching into. Gyro Ball also gets STAB and since Nattorei is slower than a turtle on valium, it should have 150 BP most of the time. Now you've probably noticed the somewhat awkward looking EV spread, but allow me to explain. First, 252 in HP is obvious, and then I went ahead and split the majority of the remaining EVs between the two defense stats. This gives me stats of 352 HP/338 Def/320 SpD which is amazingly bulky, especially with all of Nattorei's resistances. The rest of the EVs are in attack for just that much extra kick. Sassy nature boosts my special defense while lowering my speed for Gyro Ball. However, I've chosen a speed IV of 1 instead of 0 just so that I'll outspeed other Nattorei that are trying to do the same thing, in the off chance that the match comes down to some horrible Nattorei vs Nattorei yawn-fest at the end. I went with Shed Shell over Leftovers since this is Dream World and Shadow Tag Shandera is probably the number one switch-in to Nattorei, and Shed Shell allows me to escape without being roasted.

Possible changes: I'm pretty happy with this set so far, but Leech Seed, Protect, and Thunder Wave are all tempting options. I was thinking about dropping both my attacking moves for two more supporting moves so that Nattorei can be a supreme annoyer, but I don't like being forced to either switch or Struggle when Taunted. Again, suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Gliscor @

Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 180 HP/164 Atk/164 SpD
Earthquake
Acrobat
Fling
Protect

Description:
I believe Gliscor to be one of the most improved Pokémon this generation. Not to say that he wasn't always good, but Poison Heal just makes him ridiculous. The only downside is that you have to sacrifice Roost for Poison Heal, since Roost is a fourth generation TM and Poison Heal is a fifth generation ability. But, that's the price you pay for such an awesome ability. With Poison Heal, Gliscor becomes immune to all status, while the poison heals him twice as much as Leftovers would each turn. Earthquake is there for obvious STAB. Acrobat is the secondary STAB attack. I went with Acrobat over Aerial Ace because if Gliscor is not holding an item, the BP doubles from 55 to 110. I like having dual STAB attacks with 100 and 110 BP respectively, which become 150 and 165 after factoring in STAB. But Gliscor needs to be item-less for Acrobat to have that much power, right? Well then, Fling is perfect as the third attack. It's a one time use Dark type attack. It's only got a BP of 30, but Flinging a Toxic Orb badly poisons the target, so it's also a one time use Toxic. Now Gliscor has no item, and Acrobat doubles in power. This means that Gliscor also doesn't care about Trick, because he can just Fling away items he doesn't want. In the last slot I have Protect. It's a great move to scout for choice-locked opponents, activate the Toxic Orb, get some free healing, and just all around ease prediction by showing me what my opponent is thinking. I went with a bulkier spread on Gliscor, as I would like him to be able to take some hits. 180 HP EVs is a nice Poison Heal number so I heal 42 HP per turn. 164 EVs in attack to power up my awesome STAB moves, and 164 EVs in special defense to take special hits better. Impish nature boosts the already hefty defense without any investment, so the defensive stats are 336 HP/314 Def/227 SpD which is very nice. It lives through a +2 Dragon Pulse from Latias. Again, obvious item is obvious.

Possible changes: I don't see any moveset changes to be made, but if there's a more effective EV spread, feel free to share it!

Breloom @

Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Spore
Swords Dance
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed

Description:
Breloom is another Pokémon that was already really good, and then Dream World shot it full of steroids. Mach Punch combined with the fact that each hit from Bullet Seed is now power 25 instead of 10 along with Technician is absolutely nutty. I think the the folks at GameFreak were on mushrooms when they decided to give this mushroom Technician. First up is Spore, the best sleep attack in the game. Breloom likes to lead off with a Spore, which usually forces a switch. While your opponent switches out his or her now sleeping Pokémon, Breloom gets a free turn to use Swords Dance to double its already massive attack stat. After one Swords Dance, Breloom is ready to sweep. Mach Punch is STAB, Technician-boosted priority, while Bullet Seed offers secondary STAB. Breloom also makes a great revenge killer in a pinch, OHKOing stuff like Tyranitar even before a Swords Dance boost. I went with an Adamant nature and 252 attack EVs to hit as hard as possible, and 252 speed EVs to help Breloom's mediocore speed. The rest were dumped in HP. Life Orb is the item here, since attacking as hard as possible is the name of the game for TechniLoom.

Possible changes: The only change I can think of is maybe from Adamant to Jolly so I can be a little bit quicker to Spore, but I'm not sure if it's worth losing the attack power.

Cloyster @

Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Naïve
EVs: 252 Atk/48 SpA/208 Spe
Shell Break
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Hydro Pump

Description:
Cloyster also got a nice, new toy to play with this generation, in the form of the move Shell Break. This move gives +2 to attack, special attack, and speed at the cost of -1 to defense and special defense. But who needs defense when you're faster and stronger than everything anyway? After one turn of set up, Cloyster is ready to clean house. Generally I try to keep Cloyster until the late game when everything else has been weakened enough for her to sweep. Shell Break is the obvious first move, as it's the reason I'm using Cloyster. Next is Icicle Spear. With the power boost, each hit is now 25 BP, and combined with the Skill Link ability which always makes it hit five times, we've got an attack with 187.5 BP after facoting in STAB. It also hits throuigh Substitutes and Focus Sashes as a bonus. The next move is Rock Blast, which is another multi-hit attack to abuse Skill Link with. The imperfect accuracy is off-putting, but 90% still isn't bad. Finally there's Hydro Pump, for a secondary STAB attack to nail all the physically bulky Pokémon that think that they can wall Cloyster. The accuracy sucks, but the power gained by using Hydro Pump over Surf is needed for some necessary OHKOs. I went with a Naïve nature since Cloyster is a mixed attacked, so I can't use a nature that lowers either attack, and Cloyster's special defense is already shit to begin with. 208 speed EVs give me 500 speed after one Shell Break, which is just enough to outrun Jolly ScarfChomp and anything slower. 252 attack EVs allow me to hit hard with the multi-hit attacks, while dumping the rest into special attack powers up Hydro Pump. Life Orb as an item because ideally the recoil won't matter since you shouldn't be taking another hit once you've used Shell Break, you should just be OHKOing everything.

Shandera @

Ability: Shadow Tag
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Overheat
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Hidden Power

Description:
Shandera is the ulitmate revenge killer. With Shadow Tag, the opponent is unable to switch out unless it has a Shed Shell, and is at the mercy of Shandera's wide array of special attacks. Overheat is the main STAB attack, completely crushing things like Skarmory and Nattorei. Shadow Ball is the secondary STAB attack to beat other ghosts such as opposing Shandera, as well as taking out annoying Pokémon like Espeon and Rankurusu. Energy Ball is for Water, Rock, and Ground types, all of which have super effective STAB attacks against Shandera. Finally, Hidden Power Ground is for other fire types, especially Heatran, although it's great against Blaziken and Arcanine as well. It's also Shandera's only super effective attack against Tentacruel. The nature and EVs are very straight forward. Timid and 252 speed EVs because Shandera needs to be as fast as possible. 252 special attack EVs to hit as hard as possible, and the rest in special defense to get back the point lost from using Hidden Power Ground. Choice Scarf is the item because otherwise Shandera isn't outspeeding or revenge killing anything.

Possible changes: None any more, I think we're good here.
Previous changes: I dropped Fire Blast for Overheat.

Conclusion //

Well, there it is, my favourite fifth generation team. I know it's not perfect, so here's where I turn to all you wonderful people out there in Smogon-land to help me make this team as good as it can possibly be. All constructive criticism is appreciated, and thank you in advance for all your help! Cheers! :heart:

Fire cripples half of your team, although Gliscor and maybe Breloom can take care of it.
You need something that covers it. Scarf Hihidaruma says hi to Jirachi, Breloom, and heck Shandera. Under the sun Hihidaruma devastating Flare Blitz 2KOs Shandy.

Overall team looks good.

the girl in the cloyster pic looks quite promiscuous. You should replace fire blast with overheat, they'll be switching in a fire counter the majority of the time anyways. I'd drop gyro ball for a support move, though it's hard to say which to pick.

Well...For shandera, overheat would be better. Why? firstly --> overheat hits harder(obviously) and hit about the same amount as super effective psychic. Secondly, overheat has more acc than fire blast where a fire blast may cause u to lose a game. Eg. u first blast breloom and miss while he spore u and set up.Thirdly, shandera is a hit and run attacker. Assuming u kill a pokemon with fire blast (eg breloom), your opponent would likely switch in a fire type or some other things that can resist your fire blast.So, over heat is definiately a better choice.

Secondly, you could consider running thunder wave over ice punch. Firstly thunderwave will semi cripple the opponent and those jiraichi counter will be hesistant to switch in as they could be thunderwave. Secondly, thunderwave allow u to iron head hax. I have seen people iron head the opponent till ko. Iron head + thunderwave is a deadly combo.

thirdly, put shed shell on your breloom.yes i know u will lose power and all, but the important thing is that you will not lose breloom due to shandera

Hm. This looks like a decent team, but its got some serious issues with CMKerudio, who hits every member of the team for super-effective damage will also outspeeding everything except Shandera. Although the only things that it would be able to set up on would be on shandera or jirachi, but even with one cm it becomes incredibly threatening, and you'd generally have to sacrifice something to get rid of it(mostly shandera I'd imagine). For this reason I recommend you put Thunderpunch on Jirachi, preferably in place of Ice Punch. With the combination of Nattorei, Gliscor, Shandera you can handle most dragons effectively, while Gliscor and Breloom deal with the ground type moves.

This brings me to another point-this team is incredibly weak to strong fire attacks. Only Shandera resists it, 3 members are hit super-effectively by it, cloyster is the only one with a super-effective move against fire types. Thats why I'd suggest putting a TTar or a Gyarados in there somewhere. A Gyarados would also help with your Kerudio issues, and would probably fit best in place of Cloyster. You should really test it out.

Also, I agree with the above posters in that you should put Overheat on Shandera and Shed Shell on Breloom.

gl

A nasty-plot ape could really rip your team... the rachi won't be doing anything to it (unless trick) and vacuum wave wrecks cloyster. So if shandera is down and rachi has already tricked you're a bit fucked.

(But I rarely see nasty plot ape but still..... its an example of how a fire type + priority could wreck your team)

Hey, nice team.

Threats:
[box]
Urugamosu
Shandera
Sun Teams

[/box]

Urugamosu can set up on Nattorei, Jirachi, Shandera, and Breloom if another Pokemon is asleep, and sweep your whole team clean. You have no spin blocker to keep Stealth Rock on the field, and Urugamosu kills melts Nattorei anyway. Shandera pretty much sweeps your whole team with fire Blast, and because of its own Shadow Tag, it can switch out of your own Shandera. Sun Teams in general destroy you; Scarf Aakeosu takes care of all of these. It also adds a much-needed fire resist to your team. I think you should replace Jirachi with it.

[box]
@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Week Kneed
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw / Head Smash[/box]

Aakeosu destroys all of these with Stone Edge, luckily. With its huge speed, it will outspeed most Chlorophyll users and hit hard back, as well as things like Hihdaruma. Sorry this is all I could offer this team pretty much has everything covered.

@ Smot Poker: Agreed, changed Fire Blast to Overheat.

@ enomis: If I drop Ice Punch for Thunder Wave, then I'm stuck with a move that's probably only useful after Tricking my Scarf. Do you think the situations where this matters will over-rule the ones where Thunder Wave helps me? I'll definitely test it though, I do like the idea of para-flinch. =) Shed Shell on Breloom also sounds like a really cool idea, and I guess with Technician and Swords Dance, it doesn't miss Life Orb too much. Thanks!

@ UnhandledException: I like the ThunderPunch on Jirachi, as I'm sick of having to switch out right away when faced with a Politoed lead. Plus with Serene Grace, it's 20% to paralyze, and while not as good as Body Slam or Thunder Wave in that regard, it could help with para-flinching.
You said Cloyster is the only Pokémon on my team with a move that is super-effective against fire, but Gliscor has Earthquake and Shandera has HP Ground. =P I don't mind the idea of testing out Tyranitar or Gyarados in Cloyster's spot however, since if I went with TTar, half the team doesn't care about Sand Stream anyway. Is there a specific set you'd recommend? DD, Scarf, Band, Boah, etc? For Gyarados I think I'll test out Overconfidence + DD, it seems like it's really tough to stop once it gets going, but I sure will miss Cloyster. =( Thank you for the rate! =)

@ wombakage: I'm going to test out Gyarados in Cloyster's spot, which if I go with will solve any Infernape problems I have. =)

@ -Charmander-: Skill Link Rock Blast says hi to Urugamosu, but I do agree that it can have my way with the team if Cloyster is down. Same deal with Shandera, it's not a threat if Cloyster can set up, however it can destroy Cloyster with Energy Ball before the Shell Break, so you do raise a good point. I like the idea of adding a fire resist, and Aakeosu looks cool, but I really hate its ability. The ability halves its attacking stats when it gets below 50% health. It's weak to Stealth Rock and I have no spinner, so if my opponent gets rocks out, it can only switch in twice, basically. Not to mention if I use it to wall fire attacks, its health drops even quicker. I will test it out and see how it goes though. You should playtest with me some time, eh eh? *nudges* Thanks for the rate, bro. ;D

Then how about Scarfchomp with Stone Edge? It outspeeds and kills all Urugamosu, after Butterfly Dance or not. Plus it provides that fun Fire resist.

EDIT: oh yeah, Shandera has been banned from Dream World (on the beta server) now so you can change Shed Shell to Leftovers if you want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)