Tera Type: Fire / Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer / High Horsepower
- U-turn / High Horsepower

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Rillaboom is a strong offensive pivot that can threaten large amounts of damage; it also provides Fake Out support for setup users like Kingambit, Gholdengo, and Raging Bolt and create free turns for Pokemon such as Tornadus and Diancie to use their speed control options.
  • Grassy Glide is a priority option that lets Rillaboom pick up KOs on chipped foes throughout the game, and notably 2HKOs Chien-Pao and Ursaluna Bloodmoon. Wood Hammer is a powerful option that 2HKOes nearly all non-Grass resistant foes in the tier, including bulky Pokemon such as Volcanion, Landorus-T, and Iron Hands, as well as OHKOing non-Defense boosted Diancie and potentially threatening one on uninvested Landorus-I.
  • U-turn provides Rillaboom with an opportunity to pivot throughout the game and make heavy use of its support options. This allows it to keep Grassy Terrain in play, as well as cycle Fake Out turns to support its teammates. Rillaboom's offensive presence and Fake Out support enables it to force more defensive plays from opponents, allowing it to pivot and flip matchups.
  • High Horsepower can be brought instead of Wood Hammer or U-turn, which allows Rillaboom to hit Pokemon which often wall it, such as Archaludon, Gholdengo, Volcanion, and Chi-Yu. However, losing Wood Hammer or U-turn comes at the cost of being able to pivot less, and threatening less OHKOs.
  • Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain is appreciated by bulky Pokemon that benefit from the additional recovery, like Raging Bolt or Volcanion. The Psychic Terrain removal Rillaboom provides is also appreciated by priority attackers like Chien-Pao and Kingambit, which is facilitated by Grassy Terrain. Due to Rillaboom's immense bulk and U-turn pivoting, terrain is able to be setup multiple times per battle easily. Grassy Seed can also be used by other team members to add to their physical bulk and potentially ease setup, like Chi-Yu or Kingambit.
  • Assault Vest boosts Rillaboom's Special Defense bulk, allowing it to switch in often and make it more effective against Pokemon like Gholdengo and Archaludon. Assault Vest allows Rillaboom to live one Sludge Bomb from Landorus-I, as well as one Bleakwind Storm from offensive Tornadus-I.
  • The choice tera types for Rillaboom are Fire or Grass. Fire allows it to flip type matchups into the prolific Fire and Grass types in the tier, such as Chi-Yu, Incineroar, Ogerpon-H, and Chien-Pao, which it struggles to combat defensively without Terastallization. Grass can also be used on teams where Rillaboom is needed to perform more offensively, boosting its STAB Grassy Glide and Wood Hammer. Tera Grass guarantees an OHKO with Wood Hammer and a 2HKO with Grassy Glide against Ting-Lu, Ogerpon-Wellpring, Landorus-I and Walking Wake.
  • Rillaboom has the flexibility to fit on almost any team because of its immense utility, power, and bulk, which are often appreciated on many archetypes. Key teammates include bulky setup Pokemon such as Kingambit, Raging Bolt, and Gholdengo, which appreciate its Grassy Terrain and Fake Out support, providing opportunities to setup and additional recovery. Priority attackers like Chien-Pao, Kingambit, and Dragonite appreciate the removal of Psychic Terrain that Rillaboom provides. Landorus-I and Chi-Yu appreciate Rillaboom's offensive presence to threaten their common checks like Ogerpon-Wellspring, as well as Fake-Out support to deliver more turns of devastating attacks.

[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/logice.617069/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/bagel.608134/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/schister.619632/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user4.104/

Last edited:

bagel

is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris the defending DOU Circuit Champion
Doubles Leader
add/capitalize
remove
comment

[SET]
Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Rillaboom provides Fake Out support for setup users like Kingambit, Gholdengo, and Raging Bolt, as well as create free turns for pokemon such as Tornadus and Diancie to use their speed control options. Here I would want to reword this to something like "Rillaboom is a strong offensive pivot that threatens big damage and...." then continue talking about how it can support teammates. I think its important to make sure Fake Out doesn't seem to be the most important part of Rillaboom.
  • As a priority option, STAB Grassy Glide lets Rillaboom pick up KOs on chipped foes throughout the game, and notably 2HKOes Chien-Pao, Ursaluna, and Ursaluna-Bloodmoon. Grassy Glide is a priority option that lets Rillaboom pick up KOs on chipped foes throughout the game, and notably 2HKOs Chien-Pao and Ursaluna Bloodmoon. I wouldn't include both Ursalunas as it feels redundant but if there is another importnat mon Rillaboom 2HKOs feel free to include (maybe Diancie without defense boosts?) If priority is not required, Wood Hammer is a powerful option that 2HKOes nearly all non-Grass resistant foes in the tier, including bulky pokemon such as Volcanion, Landorus-T, and Iron Hands., as well as OHKOing Palafin-H. Palafin isn't really relevant enough in the metagame, but you could mention OHKOing Diancie or threatening a potential OHKO on Landorus-I.
  • U-Turn is typically brought to provide's Rillaboom with an opportunity to pivot throughout the game and abuse it's support options. This allows it to keep Grassy Terrain in play, as well as cycle Fake Out turns to support its teammates. Mention how the threat of Rillaboom's Fake Out or big damage from its attacks can for defensive plays from the opponent, which Rillaboom can then take advantage of with U-Turn.
  • High Horsepower is sometimes can be brought instead of Wood Hammer or U-Turn. High Horsepower allows it , which allows Rillaboom to chip away at bulky Steels, and Fire-type pokemon that which often wall it such as Archaludon, Gholdengo, Volcanion and Chi-Yu. , and give it better matchups against Chi-Yu and sun teams after Terastallization. Here I think it's better to be more broad with the examples because the use for High-Horsepower covers a lot of different things.
  • Assault Vest boosts Rillaboom's Special Defense bulk, allowing it to switch into the battle more often and more effectively deal with Pokemon like Gholdengo, Chi-Yu, and Archaludon after Terastallization. I wouldn't mention pokemon that it deals better after tera (because you talk about tera later) and instead focus on other special attackers in the tier that it helps with. Archaludon and Gholdengo were good example, but other examples could be Landorus or Tornadus. You can specifically mention that Assult Vest lets Rillaboom live specific attacks that it otherwise wouldnt be able to live such as Landorus-I Sludge Bomb.
  • The choice tera types for Rillaboom are Fire or Grass. Fire allows it to have better matchups into Chi-Yu, Incineroar, Ogerpon-H, and Chien-Pao, which it struggles to combat defensively without Terastallization. I would try and reword this sentence to specifically mention flipping the type matchup vs Fire and Ice, which are common attacks in the tier as you listed out. Grass can also be used on team compositions where Rillaboom is needed more offensively, boosting its STAB Grassy Glide and Wood Hammer. I'd try and include an example of somesort, whether its something like guarunteeing at 2HKO on Landorus-I or something more broad like "allowing Rillaboom to pick off opponents from even higher health."
  • Rillaboom appreciates Pokemon that can handle bulky Steel and Fire types or provide speed control for it through Tailwind or Trick Room. Common teammates for Rillaboom include Archaludon, Cresselia, Diancie, Gholdengo, Gouging Fire, Kingambit, Landorus, Raging Bolt, and Tornadus. This last section is all true but because Rillaboom is so splashable I think a better angle to take it is to focus on how Rillaboom can fit on just about any team, because listing 10 pokemon from all different types of team styles isn't super helpful. I would mention a few key pokemon, your first line about fire and groud types is good and you could specify Landorus there. Then for example you could provide Gholdengo as an example of a bulky setup threat that appreciates fake-out support and healing from grassy terrain. Something else to mention would be how priority attackers (such as_____ etc.) appreciate Rillaboom removing psychic terrain.

[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user2.102/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.103/
Grammar checked by:
Good start on an in depth mon, 1/2.

add
remove
comment

[SET]
Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Rillaboom is a strong offensive pivot that can threaten large amounts of damage; it also provides Fake Out support for setup users like Kingambit, Gholdengo, and Raging Bolt and create free turns for Pokemon such as Tornadus and Diancie to use their speed control options.
  • Grassy Glide is a priority option that lets Rillaboom pick up KOs on chipped foes throughout the game, and notably 2HKOs Chien-Pao and Ursaluna Bloodmoon. Wood Hammer is a powerful option that 2HKOes nearly all non-Grass resistant foes in the tier, including bulky Pokemon such as Volcanion, Landorus-T, and Iron Hands, as well as OHKOing non-Defense boosted Diancie and potentially threatening one on uninvested Landorus-I. Given that it is about a 50% chance roll to OHKO Landorus-I disclaiming that Wood Hammer only potentially OHKOes is important
  • U-turn provides Rillaboom with an opportunity to pivot throughout the game and abuse it's support options. This allows it to keep Grassy Terrain in play, as well as cycle Fake Out turns to support its teammates. Rillaboom's offensive presence and Fake Out support is often able enables it to force more defensive plays from opponents, allowing it to pivot and flip matchups.
  • Highly recommend adding a bullet point here stressing the utility of Grassy terrain, something along the lines of "Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain is helpful for bulky teammates that appreciate the additional recovery such as Raging Bolt and Volcanion; as well as priority spamming pokemon such as Chien-pao and Kingambit that appreciate its ability to keep psychic terrain off the field." Include a sentence that mentions how U-turn and Rillaboom's high bulk enables Rillaboom to set up terrain multiple times per battle with ease, and how it can be used in conjunction with the grassy seed item on some setup sweepers such as chi yu or Kingambit to make them more difficult to defeat.
  • High Horsepower can be brought instead of Wood Hammer or U-Turn, which allows Rillaboom to chip away at hit Pokemon which often wall it, such as Archaludon, Gholdengo, Volcanion, and Chi-Yu. Consider mentioning the opportunity cost of dropping either move.
  • Assault Vest boosts Rillaboom's Special Defense bulk, allowing it to switch in more often and more You say more twice, consider changing one effectively deal with against Pokemon like Gholdengo and Archaludon. Assault Vest also allows Rillaboom to live one Sludge Bomb from Landorus-I, as well as one Bleakwind Storm from offensive Tornadus-I.
  • The choice tera types for Rillaboom are Fire or Grass. Fire allows it to flip type matchups into the prolific Fire and Grass types in the tier, such as Chi-Yu, Incineroar, Ogerpon-H, and Chien-Pao, which it struggles to combat defensively without Terastallization. Grass can also be used on team compositions teams where Rillaboom is needed to perform more offensively, boosting its STAB Grassy Glide and Wood Hammer. Tera Grass guarantees an OHKO with Wood Hammer and a 2HKO with Grassy Glide against opponents such as Ogerpon-Wellsping, Ting-Lu, Landorus-I and Walking Wake. Wood Hammer also has a chance to OHKO Landorus-T. This sentence stresses the same point as the previous sentence and should be removed.
  • Rillaboom has the flexibility to fit on almost any team. Expand this sentence to better summarize why Rillaboom's tools allow it to provide value to almost any team, while the following sentences provide more specific examples. Key teammates include bulky setup pokemon such as Landorus-I, Kingambit, Raging Bolt, and Gholdengo, which appreciate its Grassy Terrain and Fake Out support, allowing for easier providing opportunities to setup and additional recovery. Lumping Landorus-I in with two setup pokemon that appreciate fake out support because it provides space to setup and recovery to stay healthy with as opposed Landorus who appreciates Rillaboom because it threatens some of Lando's checks like wellspring and gives it extra turns to fire off strong attacks uninhibited feels odd. I recommend adding Kingambit as it is more in line with the other two, emphasizing that it appreciates the free tempo and terrain recovery, and landorus can be more specifically mentioned later. Common priority attackers like Chien-Pao, Kingambit, and Dragonite appreciate the removal of Psychic Terrain that Rillaboom provides. Consider adding a section about how pokemon such as Landorus-I and Chi Yu appreciate Rillaboom's ability to offensively pressure checks such as Ogerpon-Wellspring or provide them extra turns to fire devastating attacks with fake out support. These strong attackers appreciate rillaboom as an offensive partner thanks to its coverage more on top of its innate utility and are probably worth mentioning in their own right.

[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/bagel.608134/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.103/
Grammar checked by:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)