Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 160 Atk / 252 Def / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Snarl
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Tyrantiar acts as the dedicated sand setter for the team. with assault vest it becomes incredibly bulky when combined with Klefki which will appear later on in this team. Stomping tantrum allows Tyranitar to hit steel types super effectively, crunch acts as good dark STAB, rock slide can be used both to fish for flinches whilst also acting once again as good STAB Aswell as a spread move. finally iron head which is arguable the most unique move on this Pokémon allows Tyranitar to abuse its high special bulk in sandstorm plus assault vest in order to attempt to check Flutter mane as it can tank both moonblast and dazzling gleam from a tera boost fairy flutter mane and then one hit kill it.

:sv/houndstone:

Houndstone @ Spell Tag
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Last Respects
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Psychic Fangs

Houndstone is the sweeper of the team abusing its ability sand rush in sandstorm to clean up games with spell tag, potentially tera boosted as well, last respects which is almost unstoppable it synergies in many ways well with Tyrantiar and a couple other members of this team who can effectively shut down any potentially faster Pokémon e.g., speed boost energy Futter mane as this team doesn't run tailwind. fire fang is just generic steel coverage that could possibly be switched out for a better move, play rough comes in useful against many dark types who may be able to tank last respects, and finally psychic fangs which can help it wall break to a certain extent as it can remove light screen, reflect and aurora veil.

:sv/Gastrodon:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog

Gastrodon is a Pokémon I use frequently on any team I make as it acts as a reliable defensive pivot for many of my more agressive teams. Gastrodon's biggest selling point is its essential nullification of other water type threats this team faces, through storm drain it walls and beats Pokémon like Palafin who can be caught trying to flip turn for an easy +1 special attack, the same goes for boosted Dodonzo as it can protect the team from potential wave crashes. another important utility feature of the team is that it acts as an important special attacker on a team that focuses heavily on physical attacks which in many cases can leave it stranded against large physical walls such as Garganacl which can sometimes be hard to get through physically. recover despite its nerf can still be handy in a pinch as it can help keep Gastrodon alive if it is required to check numerous Pokémon over the course of a game, ice beam hits dragons super effectively which would normally resist its water STAB, earth power is good ground STAB and hits rock and steel types hard, and finally chilling water which would have been in the past scald but it still functions in its role to help bring down physical attackers. i have omitted tera types for the most part as i am still trying to figure out how to use them effectively but in gastrodons case i have found it pertinent to mention that i have chosen tera type fire to help catch grass types that would usually check it off guard before hitting them with ice beam.

:sv/Klefki:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Sandstorm
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect

Klefki is one of my favourite Pokémon on this team and acts in a crucial supporting role. originally i had dazzling gleam instead of Thunder wave so that it could at least exert some offensive pressure however i tossed it for much need speed control. prankster light screen/reflect allows the teams rock types to become even more resilient along with the rest of the team. sandstorm allows it to act as a crucial second sand setter which can beat weather setters such as torkoal to an extent as it can override the sun, a situation Tyrantiar would struggle to proceed in. finally as mentioned above Thunder wave acts a speed control for a team that is not particularly quick and despite its total lack of effective offensive pressure it in my opinion makes up for it with crucial defensive and support utility.

:sv/great tusk:

Great Tusk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Iron Head
- Ice Spinner

Great tusk is in here admittedly because it is my favourite designed of the paradox Pokémon however it can still provide good wall break utility which can open up the game for houndstone later. choice scarf was in many ways a tactical choice as it allows great tusk to out speed and kill many big threats such as iron bundle alongside Flutter man both of which threaten to one hit kill. Close combat is a good stab which can chunk if not kill the ruin Pokémon whose dark typing and either great offenses or defence most importantly it can kill Chien pao in one hit (from what i have seen focus sash is usually run which is then broken by sandstorm) whose sucker punch can ruin late game sweeps, it can also chunk both Ting lu and wo chien who can once again wall Houndstone late game. Headlong rush is just close combat but of a different type and it has the same functionality high power to break open teams. ice spinner is a move intended to be used on grass/flying types but has proven to lack damage to be an effective check to them, on the other hand it is useful in removing electric terrain that boosts the future paradox Pokémon. tera blast will take on the rock type for this as it provides good stab when tera typing Great tusk usually i would tera great tusk when the extra bulk given by sandstorm is more useful than stab headlong rush/close combat.

:sv/Corviknight:

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 130 HP / 160 Atk / 218 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost

corviknight is a Pokémon i have never used before adding it to this team and i added it believing that it would help supplement the pseudo defensive nature of the team. Mirror armour allows it to check opposing intimidate which could potentially cripple the team due to the reliance on physical attackers. Body press and iron defence go hand in hand to give a move that can capitalise on its naturally high defence over its weaker attack stat, brave bird is the most crucial aspect of corviknight on this team as it checks both the dangerous grass and fighting types both of which can potentially end the team most prominently the rare appearance of Breloom which in my experience is incredibly hard to stop spreading spore, it also checks other walls such as amoongus.

whilst this team feels alright to use i generally feels like it is missing something that i cannot put my finger on furthermore its lack of effective sand abusers makes me question not only whether it is losing its identity as a sand team but also whether sand is even needed on it to begin with. any feedback no matter the size would be greatly appreciated as i am not the most experienced team builder nor do i make post on here often as i have only ever posted one other team here in the past. thank you to anyone who even read this post and even more to anyone kind enough to offer feedback.

Gen 9 Sandstorm (pokepast.es)

Last edited:
Body Press uses Def, why is Corv Adamant? As in not Impish. It might be viable, just never even thought about it.
i wanted as high a power brave bird as possible due to how weak the team can be to grass and fighting types. i had a couple games where max defence corviknight wasn't able to kill grass/ fighting types and I lost a couple games because of it. in hindsight i should have gone with 252 defence instead of health to try maximising how good it was for both moves when making the team i thought i could compensate the lacking power on body press with iron defence. if you are wondering that is the reason.

Wow, very thought out. If you're thinking to not max HP now, for some def, consider looking into splitting the 256 between HP/DEF, evenly or however. A strong Body press is great, but you will die faster w/o HP.

Wow, very thought out. If you're thinking to not max HP now, for some def, consider looking into splitting the 256 between HP/DEF, evenly or however. A strong Body press is great, but you will die faster w/o HP.
upon further calculation it seems i was too hasty to go max attack on Corviknight. by dropping adamant and only putting around 160EVs into attack Corviknight can reliable 2 hit KO most bulky grass types like Amoongus, Brute Bonnet, Wo chien alongside fighting types like 252 HP Great tusk, having a 41% chance to knock out bulky Annihilape after sandstorm damage and even +2 Flamingo if it comes in along Dodonzo. alongside this it still one hits key Pokémon such as, iron valiant and flutter mane with brave bird covering for body press. this should allow more EVs to be put into defence/HP.

Looks like I helped find something. Good, was worried I'd get in the way cause haven't done any competitive yet.
plus, with the extra defence Corviknight completely shuts down tera normal choice band dragonite plus chien pao when paired with screens from klefki so that's even better. thanks for the suggestion

Put 4 SpD on Klefki, it lacks any attack.

Generally doubles teams like protect on at least one Mon...I think. And use 4 leftover on Gastro and maybe list Tera for Houndstone, though it's obvious.

Maybe lefties gastro.

Last edited:
yeah, the 4spk on Klefki was an oversight left on from when it still had dazzling gleam over thunder wave. i unsure about protect mostly because this team is meant to act quite defensive meaning it can already shrug of most hits and protect might make it too passive, but I'll try it out none the less. unsurprisingly the tera type for Houndstone is ghost for the extra high power last respects. leftovers gastrodon seems like an alright change considering that Corviknight has rocky helmet as well.

Yeah xd. I meant for other people, I already knew it was ghost from reading on. Leftovers should help cause gastro is bulky, but not a phys wall. Idk about protect 100%, hopefully you get a rate from an actual doubles person.

thanks for the help anyways. i only started doing team building at the end of last gen so any advice from anyone is helpful. ill edit this post with the changes to make it easier to import if anyone wants to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)