Attack of the Pranksters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only fault I have with this war story was how over the top things got at times. The lengthy Jessica Alba guillotine cockblock was a bit out of place.

However, the rest of the warstory was quite excellent, so please don't take my above comment too hard.

Thank you very much everyone. All of this positive feedback certainly makes me want to write another someday. If I ever find the right battle with this much unique charm and intrigue that makes you think, I'll be sure to start writing about it!

You said your a good writer. From one writer to another, I have this to say to you: Your great. Excellent warstory. Very entertaining and the fact you were able to show humility and class makes it that much more appealing. Well done.

Sweet mother of Christ this is an excellent warstory, made even better by the fun teams (I especially like your opponent's team with a dedicated, offensive strategy), the expressive commentary and the tense moments. Although to be honest I tend to underpredict my opponents a bit at the low end of the ladder, if I'd gone ahead on autopilot and then lost because of not predicting, I'd feel sooooo stupid.

Again, excellent warstory!

Awesome warstory. Great predictions and a strategy that is well developed. I look forward to future warstories from you.

The game might just end exactly the way in which it started. If I misplay or my opponent misplays right here, a win would be extremely easy for the opposing player. Let's see if you can follow my logic here.

This game all comes down to the number of Tailwind turns my opponent has with his full-powered Outrages. My Ninetales carries Will-O-Wisp, which would effectively ruin my opponent's strategy and give me the win. However...

Clicking Will-O-Wisp here might not actually be the best strategy. My opponent seems to be an intelligent player. So intelligent, that I'm sure he could infer that my Ninetales runs Will-O-Wisp, simply because it's a move that almost all of them run since it's their best answer to Tyranitar. If my opponent predicts that I have Will-O-Wisp, he could simply use Substitute, which wouldn't work, take the burn, and then die from the damage, receiving a free switch-in to a dragon with Tailwind up and an easy victory.

And so, I'm going to use the only move my Ninetales does not carry that will keep that Murkrow alive, and that is Sunny Day. I run Sunny Day Ninetales because it allows me to slaughter Politoed. Right now, it could end up being my saving grace. Really, it all comes down to whether he switches to a dragon or not right now. I pray that he doesn't, for that would waste a Tailwind turn and give me an opportunity to pull out a win here.
Just a quick nitpick on this part. Will-O-Wisp would have been the best option here as the opponent had only 2 turns left of tailwind at this point and you had 3 pokemon on your team. As such if you had Will-O-Wisp'd and killed his Murkrow then he would have lost his tailwind user (Also used up another Tailwind turn), allowing your pokemon to outspeed and KO his. And if he switched to a Dragon then the Dragon would be at half power, a much more manageable pokemon. Nothing major as if he had stayed in with Murkrow he would have roosted/Sub/tailwind to probably win anyways, while a choice band dragon is a choice band dragon, even at half power.

You said your a good writer. From one writer to another, I have this to say to you: Your great. Excellent warstory. Very entertaining and the fact you were able to show humility and class makes it that much more appealing. Well done.
It's "you're". And to the OP, it's "its". ;)

Great warstory regardless.

though some of the commentary was a tiny bit over the top, this is easily made up for by the hilariousness of other parts and the superb thought process that you display throughout the battle. imo, a war story with thought process throughout, important predictions interspersed in the battle, and unique teams to boot gets an A+. the funny commentary only makes it better, and like someone itt (i think Lee?) said, by showcasing a loss to a murkrow/whimsicott team instead of being a poopface about it, you have demonstrated great maturity and all that stuff.

10/10 thread, would fap again.

Just a quick nitpick on this part. Will-O-Wisp would have been the best option here as the opponent had only 2 turns left of tailwind at this point and you had 3 pokemon on your team. As such if you had Will-O-Wisp'd and killed his Murkrow then he would have lost his tailwind user (Also used up another Tailwind turn), allowing your pokemon to outspeed and KO his. And if he switched to a Dragon then the Dragon would be at half power, a much more manageable pokemon. Nothing major as if he had stayed in with Murkrow he would have roosted/Sub/tailwind to probably win anyways, while a choice band dragon is a choice band dragon, even at half power.
Put yourself in the shoes of my opponent, though.

Tailwind is fairly dispensable. I know his team focuses on it, but it's not the be-all, end-all requirement for victory. However, a burned CB user is borderline useless. He would probably much rather lose his Murkrow than have his CB Dragonite be useless, I'm guessing. If I had been in the shoes of Robodust on that turn, I know for a fact that I would've stayed in with Murkrow and taken whatever my opponent threw at me. Therefore, I used a move that would keep Murkrow alive in order to waste Tailwind, and THEN I would've used Will-O-Wisp the subsequent turn if my plan would've worked, resulting in a dead Murkrow and no more Tailwind or a ruined dragon had he switched.

Put yourself in the shoes of my opponent, though.

Tailwind is fairly dispensable. I know his team focuses on it, but it's not the be-all, end-all requirement for victory. However, a burned CB user is borderline useless. He would probably much rather lose his Murkrow than have his CB Dragonite be useless, I'm guessing. If I had been in the shoes of Robodust on that turn, I know for a fact that I would've stayed in with Murkrow and taken whatever my opponent threw at me. Therefore, I used a move that would keep Murkrow alive in order to waste Tailwind, and THEN I would've used Will-O-Wisp the subsequent turn if my plan would've worked, resulting in a dead Murkrow and no more Tailwind or a ruined dragon had he switched.
Yeah I would have honestly gone for the roost there. You currently had 3 pokemon left, Ninetales, Darmanitan, Terrakion, 2 of which commonly carry Choice band and all of whom outspeed his pokemon. Stone Edge murders Dragonite (BTW Scarf Terrakion always outspeeds Adamant Dragonite at +2), kills Murkrow, and severely dents Haxorus. As such if he had lacked the tailwind he would have been screwed.

As it stands I just realized that Terrakion outsped and OHKO'd dragonite so if you had revenged him after it killed Tales you might have been able to pull a win, since you would have had Darm as death fodder still. But it is all in the past now so it doesn't really matter.

First off, it had already been revealed that his Murkrow did not hold Roost (Toxic, Taunt, Substitute, and Tailwind had all been shown). There's also no way to know if his Dragonite hadn't had max speed or not, simply for outspeeding Scarf Terrakion under Tailwind alone (I know I personally would EV it that way, anyway, because that's just way too invaluable), and Terrakion was too pivotal to my chances of winning that match to take a wild stab that I would outspeed him. Just because Venusaur outsped him doesn't mean anything, because it's very possible that I simply won a speed tie. I didn't want to take the chance there.

Also, if he was running a Haxorus with 252 speed (I couldn't have known or not at that point, and he doesn't even need a positive nature), he would have been totally fine without Tailwind, as he would've lived any Terrakion hit and OHKO'd back while outspeeding Darmanitan for the OHKO. There are a ridiculous amount of scenarios that could've played out, I just acted according to the most complicated thinking process possible at that point and it backfired. My opponent then proceeded to capitalize.

Byrne, what he's saying is that adamant nite can't outspeed jolly scarf terrakion under tailwind

on turn 26 you could've switched in terrakion and revenged dnite. Murkrow would set up tailwind the next turn, but you could burn the turn by switching to darmanitan; ko murkrow the turn after, get revenged by haxxy the next turn, then outspeed with terrakion (after tailwind peters out) and potentially win with close combat...

needlessly saccing darmanitan might have been what cost you the match...

then again, scarf'd close combat wouldnt've KO'd...

without further adieu, may I congratulate you on your marvelous win in the doggy dog world of competitive pokemon.

for all insensitive porpoises, that was the best warstory I ever read. I'd probably use mixed Infernape over Darmanitan, but it was a decent team too.

Genny edit:

dog eat dog world**

Byrne, what he's saying is that adamant nite can't outspeed jolly scarf terrakion under tailwind

on turn 26 you could've switched in terrakion and revenged dnite. Murkrow would set up tailwind the next turn, but you could burn the turn by switching to darmanitan; ko murkrow the turn after, get revenged by haxxy the next turn, then outspeed with terrakion (after tailwind peters out) and potentially win with close combat...

needlessly saccing darmanitan might have been what cost you the match...

then again, scarf'd close combat wouldnt've KO'd...
While jolly Dnite can and does outspeed Terrakion. If you'd read my post, you'd know that this is why I didn't want to risk Terrakion in that situation

I suppose...but just to be pedantic, you couldve run a calc on dnite's attacks on turns 8+9...a 252 Jolly CB Nite can't do 36% damage to a Forretress unless you've EV'd it entirely specially defensively (in which case, it might be jolly, and i apologize)

My Forretress is 252/252 +special defense, so yeah. I think I actually mentioned that in the warstory.

Also, thanks again to all the praise from everyone!

yeah, you mentioned that everything was ev'd specially defensively, but not specifically how much; regardless, i'm pretty much wrong and willing to admit it.

anyway, if i havent mentioned already, this was a very well-written, entertaining warstory, and i dont expect it to be long before it gets archived.

Hehe, it's not your fault man. I'm just waaaay too calculated when I play Pokemon and I seriously think of pretty much everything.

While jolly Dnite can and does outspeed Terrakion. If you'd read my post, you'd know that this is why I didn't want to risk Terrakion in that situation
Do you run timid on Venusaur? If not then DNite could not have outsped (Modest Venusaur only hits 318 max, Terrakoin if Jolly hits 319). Also I am not saying you played wrong, just that I personally would have made a couple different choices towards the end. As you showed through-out the entirety of your battle you think ahead a lot and plan moves accordingly, I just feel that that things could have turned out differently had you played differently, not that it would have had any great effect on the match.

Quick question how much speed do you run on Ninetales?

That Foresight was probably the most hilarious and satisfying play I've read in a warstory.

Also, good job keeping the suspense up. I honestly thought some crazy miracle (tho not a crit :/) was going to happen and you'd pull off the win.

CB Haxorus my hero <3

Do you run timid on Venusaur? If not then DNite could not have outsped (Modest Venusaur only hits 318 max, Terrakoin if Jolly hits 319). Also I am not saying you played wrong, just that I personally would have made a couple different choices towards the end. As you showed through-out the entirety of your battle you think ahead a lot and plan moves accordingly, I just feel that that things could have turned out differently had you played differently, not that it would have had any great effect on the match.

Quick question how much speed do you run on Ninetales?
Well, that's where different playstyles come in. If my plan with Ninetales had worked, I would have won. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)