Proposal Asking for the set of a transformed Pokemon should not count as ghosting

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm still a little mad that my joke post in sevag's thread (which was itself a joke) was deleted, so I wanted to make a more serious thread about the issue the previous thread was spoofing.

Background:

When your Pokemon is transformed into an opposing mon, the optimal play is writing down the moves and ability (often in chat) so you don't forget them later on, because once you switch out, the simulator once again gives you no information about the Pokemon you were transformed into.

[Chansey's Imposter]
Chansey transformed into Groudon!
☆Asou&Chihiro: regen ut/arrows/poison fang/spectral

In metagames where Transform and/or Imposter are common, it has become common practice for neutral spectators to ask for the set when one player has a transformed Pokemon out, because knowing the moves helps them see what kind of shape the game is taking and which plans both sides should go for. This leads to an overall much better spectating experience.

Go! Chansey!
[Chansey's Imposter]
Chansey transformed into Kyogre!

The opposing Kyogre used Swords Dance!
The opposing Kyogre's Attack rose sharply!

Turn 19
lazzerpenguin: quojova set
☆quojova: sd glance rend nuzzle

Recently, asking for the set was ruled as ghosting, because it reminds players to write down the moves and ability of the Pokemon which constitutes an advantage. This decision was widely controversial within each metagame it affected, leading for example to sevag creating the timer thread as a satire of it. In this post I would like to argue against it.

Overall, this ruling is too focused on rules lawyering and is ignorant of the actual circumstances surrounding this mechanic, and on average makes the game worse, instead of better.

First of all, I do not consider recording moves and ability while transformed to be a valuable aspect of competitive gameplay. It doesn't constitute "good playing" any more than remembering to make your Protean Greninja male constitutes "good building". Consider an ideal world where we could make any change we wanted to the simulator with no effort on the part of the programmers. In this ideal world, this mechanic would be fixed. For example, sending moves/ability when your Pokemon transformed could be an automatic thing, rather than the player having to type it out manually.

One might argue that this is similar to something like figuring out an EV spread based on a hit, which we ban spectators from doing. I agree that in this ideal world this mechanic would be built into the simulator too, but I would argue there's a difference between a spectator asking for the set and your friend Edward 200WPMhands opening the calc on his third monitor to give you damage ranges on all your moves within five seconds. One objectively saves you time, the other reminds you to get past a meaningless barrier of entry that every serious player is past anyway.

Can spectators asking for the set help a player's winning chances? Yes, but not in the sense of improving their gameplans or key decisions. Because of this, I would argue it's more in line with reminding the player about the timer or cheering for them.

I'll end this post with a modified version of Merritt's post in the timer thread:

Saying that you want people requesting information that is in the player's option menu to be considered ghosting is a pretty hard sell to begin with. This is not an external party providing information or observations that a player could reasonably fail to make. An ability to remember to record sets is not a valuable skill - information management is a valuable skill but players being reminded to record sets does not provide a meaningful advantage in their ability to manage the information they give and receive.

It is also pretty lame when games are lost by one player forgetting a set and making more games end lamely would kinda suck.

The fact that you want to specifically target inexperienced players is pretty appalling to me too.

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Thought i'd add something since this is like the only proposal that is relevant to me

The thread that city's referring to (the one where asking was ruled as ghosting) imo is just an absolute sham. The chances that someone is actively going to load a team with an Imposter (or Transform, in some meta like STABmons) user and then completely forget that they have completely free information on the opponent's set is, if we're being real, basically absent - as such, I think that "reminding people of the mechanic" is just a bunch of bollocks that was used to push the policy through. In addition to this, it's simply impossible to identify if, when someone writes "set?" after transforming, that they are giving the player with the transformed mon notice to look at the set (thus ghosting) or if they have already done so (in which case the message is solely a request for spectator information). I could go on and on with examples fand more ranting, but the idea is that for any player they won't just "forget" to capitalize on the free information they're given.

IMO this also applies to newer players as well and without exception - it doesn't matter how many hours that you've spent playing PS, you get the same 5 things on a screen when transformed into something. I don't think newer players are just going to "forget" to take notice when the way Pokemon works literally forces them to engage with this info, and so even if you get them to provide the set they're not getting any advantage from it.

TL;DR
PS keeps track of literally everything that happens within the game except transformed sets, remembering 5 mostly-expected bits of information is not difficult for any player. Asking for sets provides no advantage to the Transform/Imposter user in any realistic case, and the rule only incentivises people to clog chat with "Set?" as an annoying joke. Nobody even asked for this ruling to be put in place lmao, why is it here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)