Ask the Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
OP stolen from Jordy

The basic premise of this thread is to ask the B101 moderators (almost) anything you want. Whether it be about Pokemon in general, or if you just want to get to know the moderators better, it's fine to ask here.

However, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
  • Do not get too personal with your questions.
  • We obviously don't mind any memes, but don't let it get out of hand.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
What are your primary motivations in being part of (and leading) the B101 program?

What do you feel are the biggest challenges in learning how to play the game / a certain meta? How about in terms of teaching?

What is something you guys value the most when it comes to what you want tutees to learn in the program?

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Feel free to ignore the more personal questions.

How did you get to be mod, why did you want it, and do you enjoy it?
Can each of you please recommend me an album/artist, a book and a series/film?
What has your favourite ingame team of all time been?
What do you do outside of the internet?
Do you play any non-Pokemon games? If so, what are your top 5 of all time?
Which Pokemon game is your favourite?
Do you do any sports?
What do you think makes a great tutor?

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Yo mods! I'll ask a few questions...
Why do you choose to moderate some things more than others, if you do? For example, say you love to moderate this forum, but with most others, you are like "ehh... I'll leave that up to someonelse" or something like that. That was just an example of course.
Why did you decide to be on Smogon and PS? By that, I mean what and why you got into it.
And lastly, if there was one Mon you had to unban from ubers, who would it be? Like if you deliberately HAD to

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you have a story of a tutee that you really liked or saw massive improvement from beginning to the end?

Who are some user(s) that you look up to in Smogon?

What is (or are) some of the more frustrating aspects to tutoring a new person? Any advice you would give them before signing up to be a tutee?

What are some of your hobbies that you like to do outside of Pokemon?

Last edited:

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
  • pineapple on pizza y/n?
  • favourite music artists rn?
  • favourite music genres?
  • favourite song/album?
  • any hobbies?
  • favourite pokemon gen?
  • y, there is always room on pizza for pineapple as far as I'm concerned.
  • I don't have any personal music and am willing to listen to w/e is in the background so I guess GlitchxCity as she has many Pokemon remixes.
  • I have no favorite but not something heavy and loud like metal.
  • An easy favorite is Miror B. from Colosseum and XD:
    (Remix by GlitchxCity)
  • My favorite Pokemon gen is Gen 3. I am not a die-hard fan and do not like the overuse of suring but it is one of the few main games I don't get bored of if I wish to replay it.
What are your primary motivations in being part of (and leading) the B101 program?

What do you feel are the biggest challenges in learning how to play the game / a certain meta? How about in terms of teaching?

What is something you guys value the most when it comes to what you want tutees to learn in the program?
1. My primary motivation is to help out with record-keeping, making sure things are done in an appropriate amount of time, and to help work on relations and get updates with the tutors. There are not too many records aside from the tutee feedback and grades so there is always a good amount to help out which I am happy to do.
2. The hardest part, for me at least, is understanding the building aspect and knowing what sets are common enough to watch out for. There is always a learning curve when you learn a new tier such as when I was blown back by a Dragonium Druddigon in NU going for reqs. The main challenge in terms of teaching is keeping the student's motivation and explaining different ways of thinking or solving ideas/problems.
3. I don't know if there is one main thing we want tutees to learn from the program because tutees come for many different reasons whether it be building, battling, mentality, etc.. but as long as the tutees understand the fundamentals, how and when to pressure in battles, and problem solve teambuilding issues, they are well on their way.

Do you do any sports?
1. Well, I suppose I got mod to help out with the revamp and to replace a previous mod who was close to stepping down. I wasn't necessarily looking for it but it makes my job of locating past sign-up posts easier if they were deleted and makes me asking about previous tutees less awkward. I wouldn't do any of this if I didn't enjoy it to some extent. Some aspects like debating about policy proceedings can be hard at some points but it's more enjoyable than not especially when I get to talk with the tutors and help organize the system where I can.
2. Not sure if you want me suggesting music because it'd all be Nintendo related. I don't read much fiction but Hunger Games was good if you haven't read that yet. I am a big fan of some History, Science, and Animal Planet series. The list is a bit lengthy so if you're interested feel free to PM me!
3. I've recently been playing PokeMMO with a friend and the team of Swampert, Crobat, Aggron, Blaziken, Breloom, and Gardevoir were more than I could have hoped for. I'd recommend playing PokeMMO with a friend if you want to revisit Gens 1, 3, or 5!
4. Other than playing on the internet, I spend my time going to school, hanging out with my friends and family, and watch various TV shows. I also play outside a fair amount but not during the summer as it goes to around 110 degrees where I live.
5. The only non-Pokemon games I play include Mario Maker, Smash Ultimate, and Sudoku. I tend to stick with Nintendo because it has my personal favorite style and I don't have to spend money on other consoles + the games.
6. My favorites are all the sequels or remakes; HGSS, Platinum, Emerald, BW2, and ORAS specifically. Of those, however, I would say my favorite is BW2.
7. I do, only soccer but nothing serious. My Dad forced me to play flag football but I wasn't a fan.
8. The two most important factors are availability and communication skills. Without consistent availability, it is harder for the student to stay motivated and/or work on areas they are struggling effectively. If you wait too long or not long enough their growth can become static w/o a push. And communication skills primarily because if you can't explain things effectively, it will take longer for them to learn.

Same question I asked our RMT friends:
If you could change one thing about Smogon and/or B101, what would it be?
The main thing I would like to see is helping less rewarded/smaller communities grow rather than just the metagames and tours. I would also really like to see a way for the RMT and B101 sections to work more closely with the metagame tier communities rather than them being two distinctly different sections. Higher caliber players constantly tutor newer players especially during team tours so figuring out a way to include them and adding resources would be amazing for B101 imo.

Why do you choose to moderate some things more than others, if you do? For example, say you love to moderate this forum, but with most others, you are like "ehh... I'll leave that up to someonelse" or something like that. That was just an example of course.
Why did you decide to be on Smogon and PS? By that, I mean what and why you got into it.
And lastly, if there was one Mon you had to unban from ubers, who would it be? Like if you deliberately HAD to
1. That's pretty much human nature and us doing this for free. Not every area is as appealing as another and others may enjoy a section more than the others so it would make sense that some will not be as present there.
2. I joined PS! in late 2012 primarily so I didn't have to play alone and to develop skills and ideas that I could use to beat my irl friends. Once that phase of exploration and learning dwindled, I found friends who would talk to me consistently so I stayed as a result. I stay on Smogon because I can see my friends every day, work on a variety of skills from leading projects, tutoring, creating art, making and maintaining spreadsheets, etc.., and help out both those who want to contribute and those who are just interested in reading information.
3. The main one for me would be regular Blaziken because I don't particularly feel he is overpowered with the ever-increasing bulk of both stall and balance in OU. It may invalidate HO to an extent but each archetype has some matchup they need to omit in OU at least imo.

Family Guy, Y or N and why?
The only Family Guy I have watched are random clips so I'll say N due to my ignorance.

Do you have a story of a tutee that you really liked or saw massive improvement from beginning to the end?

What is (or are) some of the more frustrating aspects to tutoring a new person? Any advice you would give them before signing up to be a tutee?

1. I was really fond of my first tutee, ShadowHounder, and he showed great motivation to practice and learn ideas/mechanics. He went from not knowing what terrains did or how to lead effectively to being able to explain ideas and what he did wrong in replays. He was a quick learner but he sadly had irl issues nearing the end and hasn't returned since. :psycry:
2. The users I look up to are those who do consistent work, make a name for themselves, and are genuinely nice individuals. TDP is easily one I look up to in terms of consistency, anundeadboy and Zracknel are amazing yet modest artists, and Kalalokki, who I may not always agree with, is another consistent presence who gives feedback even if you don't ask for it. There are many others I could add but those are the main four.
3. The most frustrating aspects for me is scheduling a good 1-2hr block which we both have free and breaking them out of a poor mentality of "I can't do this!" or "I'll just never be good". More often than not, the tutees I helped just need pointers, learning new ideas, and improving their mentality.
4. My other hobbies consist of playing Smash, watching TV shows, going to school (not much of a hobby), doing various activities outside, and participating in family events.

I have some life or death questions
What is your favorite Zu pokemon?
7th Heaven Yes or No?
What is your least favorite Nintendo series?
Smash Melee or Ultimate?
Whats worse Smash 64 or Brawl?
You're Tbh on Oshowott

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Going to do my best to answer all of these so I apologize if I miss any somehow.

• favourite song/album?
  • any hobbies?
  • favourite pokemon gen?
1. I'm ok with pineapple on pizza if its with chicken or ham, but not by itself
2. TBH I don't listen to music artists that much to answer that since and the ones that I do I don't know their names offhand :x
3. idk if video game OSTs count as a genre but I would definitely say that. Also some rap, gospel, and hip hop.
4. Don't really have a favorite I kind of just listen to alot of different things :x
5. Walking, cooking, exercising at the gym, playing video games, and 3D art.
6. Definitely Gen 5

I have some life or death questions
What is your favorite Zu pokemon?
7th Heaven Yes or No?
Smash Melee or Ultimate?
You're Tbh on Oshowott
1. Gourgeist
2. Never watched it tbh
3. Pikmin because it looks uninteresting
4. Ultimate
5. Brawl
6. Oshawott is cute and I always thought Razor shell was a cool move. I was disappointed it didn't evolve in the show :[

gen 3 is my fav as well so here are some questions

fav starter?
zigzagoon or poochyena?
lunatone or solrock?
aqua or magma?
favorite gym leader?
top 3 fav mons?

thanks for all your hard work in b101!
1. Greninja
2. Neither tbh, but if I had to choose Zigzagoon because it evolves into a better mon
3. Lunatone
4. Aqua because of Shelly
5. Elesa
6. Blissey, Volcarona, Tyranitar

Thank you! :]

1. I actually had a former tutee go on to qualify for the World Championship and play on my NPA team so that was pretty great.
2. I doubt Legacy Raider is still around but he was definitely my biggest inspiration to becoming a better player back when I started on Smogon.
3. It's honestly upsetting to ladder with a tutee and seeing them lose over and over again to either hax or misplays. It's easy to help them build teams, but it's a bit harder for them to get the fundamentals of VGC especially if they're coming from singles. I would tell them to watch some previous regional, national, and world championship level games to get an understanding of the format if they have never played it before to get a grasp on what works and what doesn't.

1. I've been playing VGC longer than I have with Singles so I feel better suited to moderating the VGC forums and tutoring VGC to players than moderating anywhere else. Also, honestly the VGC scene is much smaller which makes it more manageable as well. There are way more other users on this site who are way better suited to handle the wider variety of players than I could. Of course I also just enjoy VGC and talking about it.
2. When I was back in high school I was battling this girl with my in-game team vs her in-game team and she ended up sweeping me late game with a Darkrai. I wanted to improve so that would never happen again and ended up finding Smogon in the process lol.
3. Ironically I would unban Darkrai since Dark Void is not a move anymore

1. I genuinely enjoy teaching new players VGC and them running into them at actual tournaments and seeing them improve in the scene
2. Biggest challenge for learning VGC is trying to absorb all the different information at once. Not only that but VGC has a bit of a barrier of entry. If you're a player who doesn't like to use PKhex then you will have a difficult time coming into VGC. The metagame shifts very frequently and breeding mons constantly can get a bit obnoxious.
3. That they're able to take what they learned and do well at actual events.

Do you do any sports?
1. Back in 2012 VGC tutoring on Smogon was a bigger deal and I tried really hard to be a tutor, but I never got a chance. The older mods in charge of the VGC tutoring were replaced and I finally got to be a tutor. I definitely enjoy it but its a bit harder now since I'm the only tutor left. I tried really hard to get other VGC players I knew to tutor people, but everyone is just lazy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2. I really enjoy shows like Parks and Recreation, but I couldn't recommend anything else honestly lol
3. Probably my Ultra Moon team: Bewear, Tyranitar, Volcarona, Raichu-Alola, Jellicent, Lilligant
4. Mix of grad school, learning a trade, attending church, exercising, internship work, and cooking/baking.
5. I got into Fire Emblem in 2017 and have been enjoying it a lot. No order for this list: Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, Smash Ultimate, Splatoon, Pokemon HGSS, Breath of the Wild.
6. Pokemon HGSS, and B2W2.
7. I used to do Karate but that was back in middle school
8. Someone who has great availability, patience, and knowledge in their field

I'll edit if I missed anything, but this was definitely fun :]]]

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Been procrastinating this since I haven't been on much but I'll answer a few questions

• favourite song/album?
  • any hobbies?
  • favourite pokemon gen?
  1. absolutely not
  2. THE Big Sean, Drake, Meek Mill, Travis Scott
  3. Hip Hop, but I like a lot of Alternative and Rock too like Rise Against, Fall Out Boy, 3DG, A7X, Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, Linkin Park etc.
  4. Paradise / Dark Sky Paradise
  5. Outside of Smogon I work out often, watch a lot of baseball and football (Yankees / Ravens), hang out with family/friends and play a few video games (Apex, GoW, Fort if the bois are around)
  6. 4, Palkia > Dialga

1. I think having the ability to pass on knowledge, while it be inside or outside of mons, is one of the most important skills to have. As it pertains to the mons, without the site providing resources like the dex and VRs as well as sections like RMT and B101, the site likely wouldn't be as relevant as it is.
  2. Building is easily the hardest challenge in the game, but also one of the biggest advantages one could have over another player. It's real hard to teach especially if it's hard for yourself.
  3. Minimizing mistakes. Like in any strategy game, you can win a game just off of the opponent making more mistakes than you do. If you don't make a bad play all game, your win % should be fairly high, even if you don't play aggressive. After tackling that, you should value risk/reward decision making as well.
Do you do any sports?
  1. uhhh I guess just by being a good tutor, and yeah, leading 101 has been great to me
  2. I could go the obvious route and recommend you Big Sean, but I'll go with a lesser known. Try out Run The Jewels, cool duo with good music/beats to go along with it (RTJ3 Album ig). For books, I haven't read in awhile, but try out the "I Am Number Four" series, it's a cool sci-fi type thing about a teenager w/ powers from another planet that's being hunted down. For movies, I'll always recommend Quentin Tarantino movies, more specifically Django Unchained.
  3. My ORAS team was p hot, dual mega Alakazam + Sceptile, Metagross, Latios, Groudon, Mightyena HM Slave
  4. answered above
  5. Top 5: Halo 3, Gears of War 3, Mario Party 3, Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3. The 3rd games are always the best
  6. Pearl
  7. I played a ton of baseball growing up and actually played on a team in little league and high school with Cody Bellinger, except now he's making millions of dollars and I'm getting an accounting degree :pirate:
  8. Being able to make your tutee competitive vs most of the playerbase is what makes a great tutor
Same question I asked our RMT friends:
If you could change one thing about Smogon and/or B101, what would it be?
I'd change the culture, I always thought it was fairly exclusive especially to newer users/players. I've also always been intrigued at the thought of making an unknown alt and starting over sometime to see what it's like from a new user point of view.

1. I started in XY just looking to get a better team to beatdown one of my irl friends for in-game
  2. Darkrai
Family Guy, Y or N and why?
Yes, I'm a big fan of non-PC humor. 2019 is a drag for comedy and I hate it

1. I think the most frustrating thing is when they're playing with pressure while a tutor watches and don't think things through. Before signing up, I would advise at the very least playing on ladder a ton and utilizing your timer and calc while you're there. Clicking aimlessly should get you nowhere
  2. answered somewhere above :psyduck:
gen 3 is my fav as well so here are some questions

fav starter?
zigzagoon or poochyena?
lunatone or solrock?
aqua or magma?
favorite gym leader?
top 3 fav mons?

thanks for all your hard work in b101!
  1. BLASTOISE
  2. Zigzagoon carried me in LC open that one year
  3. Lunatone - ADV BP goat
  4. Aqua cause of this VIXEN
  5. BROCK
  6. Lugia, Arcanine, Honchkrow
Smash Melee or Ultimate?
  1. Legend of Zelda
  2. MELEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  3. 64 - combo contests are sick

I just beat the Champion in shield and would like to put together a team for the ongoing tournament but I have literally no idea where to start. I guess if I can I’d like to include Tyranitar or the new Dragon/Ghost (I’m still learning some names), but I’m generally just happy to have a strong Dragon on the team or/and maybe a Gengar if I can get one. I’m totally new to this besides some simulated battles I played back in X/Y and lost except when I stole a team off the forums. Can you help?

How did I get out-sped?? Playing in gen 8 battle stadium singles. Had a darmanitan zen galar out max speed points at 205. Used earthquake and was out-sped by the opponents dracovish using fishious rent. Dracovish max speed is 139 vs mine at 205... What happened here? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

How did I get out-sped?? Playing in gen 8 battle stadium singles. Had a darmanitan zen galar out max speed points at 205. Used earthquake and was out-sped by the opponents dracovish using fishious rent. Dracovish max speed is 139 vs mine at 205... What happened here? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
dracovish is scarf lol

guess ill ask a question, even tho it seems this isnt going on anymore rip
which gen 8 fossil is the best

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
I don't hate you, but I'm going to have to sadly say no to your question. I mainly play OU, so it's hard for psyduck to hang simply from a power perspective :psycry:
thank you friend, im glad you gave your opinion :]

some mods think i am annoying because i shitpost (as you might tell from the question) but this is a serious question kek

With the release of SwSh I wanted to give it a shot at competitive pokemon. I know I can rent teams but when it comes to breeding my own, when would I want an IV less than 31 in a specific stat? I can understand if its a physical attacker to not worry about special attack IV, but why would I want 0 in speed? Also on VictoryroadVGC looking at peoples teams, some Mon's have 16 or 4 in special attack IV for example, why would that be? Why not just 31 or 0? Not like they have hidden power as a move, from my understanding the typing is based on IV's....

If anyone can help me understand a little better that would be greatly appreciated!

With the release of SwSh I wanted to give it a shot at competitive pokemon. I know I can rent teams but when it comes to breeding my own, when would I want an IV less than 31 in a specific stat? I can understand if its a physical attacker to not worry about special attack IV, but why would I want 0 in speed? Also on VictoryroadVGC looking at peoples teams, some Mon's have 16 or 4 in special attack IV for example, why would that be? Why not just 31 or 0? Not like they have hidden power as a move, from my understanding the typing is based on IV's....

If anyone can help me understand a little better that would be greatly appreciated!
For the people wanting ivs specifically 0, there are some moves like gyro ball, that do more damage the lower your speed, making a 0 speed iv pretty essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)