Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
will mega evolutions be banned in ubers?
Based on the information so far, Mega Evolutions occur during battle (presumably triggered by certain conditions) and require a specific item.

In other words, until the Mega Evolution occurs, the Pokemon functions at lesser capacity, as the item will probably not be useful beyond allowing a Mega Evolution to occur. The conditions which trigger a Mega Evolution may also easily limit it; for example, if it is triggered by being at or below 50% health, the Pokemon may need to take measures against being OHKO'd such as running Substitute (limiting the coverage moves the Pokemon can run) and will be far more vulnerable to revenge kills. If the Mega Evolution is, instead, activated by using a turn, it really is no different from setting up (which would change nothing for Ubers really, as Lucario, Blaziken and Mewtwo have good set up moves already).

Unless the conditions in which a Mega Evolution occurs are very easy to meet and it does not take a turn, I do not see them being in any way overpowered. The tier is full of Pokemon which become extremely threatening if given a free turn.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Not really an uber-question xD... but,
What's the reason why Landorus just graduated to the Ubers?
I just noticed it recently, after a few moments of hiatus from busy college days.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Landorus was suspect tested in OU and voted uber by those who qualified. Main arguments for its uber status were:
- ridiculously powerful offensive presence with sheer force and an adequate movepool to abuse it;
- abilty to get past most of its counters (Celebi\Latias) via u-turn;
- decent defensive stats and typing, that made it difficult to revenge kill.

That said, Landorus is proving to be a mediocre Pokemon in Ubers, in my eyes at least.

No, Landorus is an okay Pokémon in Ubers, and should not be taken as a mediocre one for certain. It has Sand Force EQ, which is the strongest in the game complemented with a Grass Knot that always 2HKOs Groudon without investment and with a hindering nature, allowing you to lure out that as well (which wins you the weather war, opening up for other sand sweepers, like Excadrill). Also, Landorus has an underrated typing, and in Ubers, being immune to spikes as well as retaining the SR neutrality is really cool.

In my eyes, Landorus is a really viable Pokémon on sand offense.

While I don't think the sheer force set is good at all, I have had success using it alongside Excadrill to soften up its checks and counters, such as Skarmory and Groudon. Sand Force is by far the better set, but don't discount the chance of sheer force in a Mence/Quaza style duo.

Wouldn't Sand Force accomplish the exact same thing except while also luring the same physically bulky threats that are used to keep Exca in line (as well as weather changes) instead of just some SpDef Tina or something? (plus it's the better set in general)

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Even with insane stats, unless he gets moody, there is absolutely no good reason to ban them. We didnt banned Arceus in BW, so yeah, same goes in XY.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
How do I become a top player in this tier? Is there a clear path of what I need to do?
Having a good knowledge of the metagame is a big help.

This :http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ubers-stats-july-2013.3487041/ is a link to how much a pokemon is used in ubers which can be helpful, assisting you by knowing which threats to prepare for.

Here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-ranking-thread-now-taking-write-ups.3473976/ is a list of every viable mon in ubers with write ups for some of them.

Here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battling-101.42/ is smogon's tutoring program where experienced players can help you learn a certain tier, the round already started so you are going to have to wait a month or so to put in an application.

There's also #ubers on IRC (there's a mibbit link in my sig) where you can come and ask questions or talk about he metagame in general. (don't worry if things are quiet, it picks up when someone starts a discussion) There are some really good players that hang around there. (whether they'll respond is another thing though) Also, it's worth just looking at some old dead threads. We've had excellent players that aren't active anymore make some posts that still apply to the metagame today. (or at least show a train of thought that can be applied)

Is putting Draco Meteor on Scarf Kyogre in place of Ice Beam a good idea? The main purpose would be destroying Palkia as a lure, take a look at these calculations to see what I mean:
252 SpA Kyogre Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 292-344 (90.96 - 107.16%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Kyogre Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 318-376 (99.06 - 117.13%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

So, Scarf Kyogre now doesn't even rely on other pokes to kill Palkia, as now he can deal insane chunks of damage to it on the switch. In addition, you now have a tool against the rare Gastrodon, and you can decimate Reshiram, Kyurem-W, and Zekrom, if they are foolish enough to switch in. The main power in this would be the surprise factor, as every Palkia user knows that sending it in will cause the opponent to switch out.

EDIT: Oh dang it, realised that Kyogre doesn't have access to Draco. Derp.

Last edited:
I did some casual searching for team templates and couldn't find much. What I mean by this is the individual Pokemon job roles for certain team types.

Ex. A standard OU Offensive team may have:
Sweeper/ Wall breaker/ Counter for sweeper's threats/scarfer/ weather(or support)/ glue

I know of a few others. Is there a nice consolidated list out there? It seems like some really cool article that should exist for every tier. Or at least the list would explain the viability of each team format in each tier.

So does anything like this exist? If so where can I find it?

I feel like you restrict your team building when you adopt specific team templates by team type. I prefer simply having a clear idea of what your goal is (maybe like an effective Shiftry team) and then build your own template based on an understanding of what elements you will need to accomplish that goal. (such as ways to reliably reset Sun during weather changes)

As for the viability of the individual team types, I'd say anything is viable. The metagame is currently leaning towards offense, though.

Yeah that works, but that is assuming you have a lot of intuitive knowledge about the game in the first place.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah that works, but that is assuming you have a lot of intuitive knowledge about the game in the first place.
Looking through replays of well known players like sweep, shrang and the likes helps to give a decent idea on how a team template should look like.

Hi there, I was wondering if there could be an Ubers research weak. It would be a chance to see how some of OUs top contenders fair in Ubers. Many OU Pokemon do solid work in Ubers like Ferrothorn and Salamence, but why not do some research on things like Toxicroak.

Maybe this was foolish of me to ask, maybe not. It's just another thing the Ubers community could do :)

Hi there, I was wondering if there could be an Ubers research weak. It would be a chance to see how some of OUs top contenders fair in Ubers. Many OU Pokemon do solid work in Ubers like Ferrothorn and Salamence, but why not do some research on things like Toxicroak.

Maybe this was foolish of me to ask, maybe not. It's just another thing the Ubers community could do :)

Salamence is pretty outclassed in Ubers, thanks to Rayquaza, who's pretty much the Up To Eleven version of Mence, whose only advantage against Ray is Speed and Moxie.

I don't know enough about Toxicroak to say much about it, but who knows, someone might find a niche for it. Maybe as a Choice Kyogre switch-in?

I like the idea though. It could be interesting.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Salamence is pretty outclassed in Ubers, thanks to Rayquaza, who's pretty much the Up To Eleven version of Mence, whose only advantage against Ray is Speed and Moxie.

I don't know enough about Toxicroak to say much about it, but who knows, someone might find a niche for it. Maybe as a Choice Kyogre switch-in?

I like the idea though. It could be interesting.
I wouldn't say mence is "outclassed" in particular since it has 2 very amazing abilities and a much better speed tier (outspeeds kyu-w/gene and ties with palkia) Ray does have significantly higher SpA and slightly higher attack and access to sd + espeed so there's that to account for. It also stops weather sweepers with air lock. Overall ray is better in general but mence has a place in ubers....... somewhat.

Croak on the other hand has below average bulk (83/65/65) and it's attack stat is horrendous by uber standards (whopping 106) and most importantly it has 85 speed. So even if croak does manage to set up, it won't hit hard enough to be worth it though sucker punch is nice. That's really all it has going for it since even though fighting is an excellent stab in ubers, poison is meh in comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)