Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

We'd seriously question the philosophy behind the existence of ubers and either A) find some way to nerf it via clause or outright ban it or B) say it's the reincarnation of RBY Mewtwo and tell everybody to deal with it or don't play ubers

Ubers' balance is shaky to begin with, such a poke would cause serious damage to Ubers.

My question: what if there was a borderline tier between Ubers and OU? There are some Ubers that are completely obsoleted by other mons ( Deoxys-N, for example.), so would this help to balance it out more?

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
My question: what if there was a borderline tier between Ubers and OU? There are some Ubers that are completely obsoleted by other mons ( Deoxys-N, for example.), so would this help to balance it out more?
What would be the point of this tier? I can't think of very many mons that would be in it. Deo-N, Manaphy, Thund-I, and maybe Land-I and Torn-T but that's about it that I can think of.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Also, seeing how Ubers is not usage based, nothing banned from OU can not qualify for Ubers, if you get what I'm saying. Therefore, a BL tier between OU and Ubers would be useless, as there are no current Ubers Pokemon that don't "belong" in the Ubers tier.

What would happen if there was a 1500 bst pokemon with a 200 power stab move?
First, you understand the idea of Ubers and its banlist
Second, Nintendo would never make a pokemon like that and you know that.

But to answer your question where you already know your obvious answer for: It would get banned from Ubers.

Also, a BL tier between OU and Ubers doesn't make sense. Ubers isn't a tier, it's a banlist. Itself is already a BL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone! I'm doing a school project over pokemon, and I wanted to focus on how typing changes (such as the addition of steel/dark in 2nd gen and fairy in 6th) over the generations, as well as the split between physical and special moves in the 4th, have affected the balance of the metagame. Is there anyone here who would like to be my mentor? You'd have to be over 21,but really the only requirement is that you sign off on my stuff, saying that I'm making progress and blah blah blah. I'd love any feedback or extra ideas you can add to make my project better, but really the amount of effort you'd have to put in would be entirely minimal.

what will happen to mega pokemon? will they be placed in the uber section or can they wreck stuff in ou?
mega gengar/alakazam is a really big thread overall and i would be surprised if it wasn't placed in this tier, even if it cant hold an item.

then again, this meta is full of suckerpunches and the such..... not to mention talonflame priority bravebird lol

Ubers doesn't give a shit about what OU bans. (unless it's some lame shit like Deo-N that we have to write an analysis for)

Guys, on Ubers GEN5, which one is better, Dialga or Kyurem-W?
I have this Hyper-Offense team, and i saw myself needing a Wallbreaker, so i am beetwen Dialga and Kyurem-W, i'd like to know, in a Hyper Offense team, which one would be better.
In case someone is wondering, this is my full team:

Mr. Hugs (Dialga) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Aura Sphere
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder

Genesexy (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Iron Head

Kyogre Repellent (Latios) (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Roar

Voldemort (Darkrai) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

Quetzelcoalt (Rayquaza) @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Morgan Freeman (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Judgment
- Recover

Last edited:

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Guys, on Ubers GEN5, which one is better, Dialga or Kyurem-W?
I have this Hyper-Offense team, and i saw myself needing a Wallbreaker, so i am beetwen Dialga and Kyurem-W, i'd like to know, in a Hyper Offense team, which one would be better.
In case someone is wondering, this is my full team:

Team Here
Personally, I think Dialga fits a little better in the slot than Kyurem-W, seeing as it can help check Gensect, which mauls 4/6 of your team (Latios and Darkrai with U-turn, Rayquaza with Ice Beam, and Kyurem-W with Iron Head) with Kyurem-W.

Changing to specs dialga is going to fuck up your team because you'll need to move SR someplace else and LO already hits hard enough, anyways. If you are struggling with walls use CM Draco Latios (roost, cm, draco, shock) and/or LO Darkrai. (you can also drop Nplot for Taunt but then you would be lame and I wouldn't like you) Oh, and definitely switch to SD Rayquaza. (Espeed, vcreate, dclaw, SD, LO) It's a shame to have so much Genesect pressure and not have SD Ray to smack it for 50% with a +2 Espeed. Plus, you'll be able to throw out unboosted V-Creates early-mid game instead of sitting back waiting to setup Ray.

Changing to specs dialga is going to fuck up your team because you'll need to move SR someplace else and LO already hits hard enough, anyways. If you are struggling with walls use CM Draco Latios (roost, cm, draco, shock) and/or LO Darkrai. (you can also drop Nplot for Taunt but then you would be lame and I wouldn't like you) Oh, and definitely switch to SD Rayquaza. (Espeed, vcreate, dclaw, SD, LO) It's a shame to have so much Genesect pressure and not have SD Ray to smack it for 50% with a +2 Espeed. Plus, you'll be able to throw out unboosted V-Creates early-mid game instead of sitting back waiting to setup Ray.
Dude, you gave me a whole team rate, but i asked Dialga or Kyurem-W XD, but thanks!If you want to make a full review of my team, go here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen5-sweeping-awesomeness.3491723/

This question I guess applies equally to gens five and six, at least once Pokebank is out.

Having stumbled across an NU Lapras set involving Whirlpool and Perish Song, I notice that Arceus can access the same moves in Ubers. With these two moves, Recover, bulk and the ability to change its typing to deal with whatever threats it wants to, it seems like it could do a job. In that fourth moveslot Taunt would be great to prevent set-up mons boosting up and killing it, but for some reason the god of all Pokemon doesn't get it. I guess Protect or Substitute would be good in that slot.

Has anyone tried this? Did it work?

This question I guess applies equally to gens five and six, at least once Pokebank is out.

Having stumbled across an NU Lapras set involving Whirlpool and Perish Song, I notice that Arceus can access the same moves in Ubers. With these two moves, Recover, bulk and the ability to change its typing to deal with whatever threats it wants to, it seems like it could do a job. In that fourth moveslot Taunt would be great to prevent set-up mons boosting up and killing it, but for some reason the god of all Pokemon doesn't get it. I guess Protect or Substitute would be good in that slot.

Has anyone tried this? Did it work?
Yes I have tried this set, also after seeing that Lapras set (long time ago).

Thing is that you have to use this strat on their switch-in not any pokemon of you choice (like Mega-Gengar). Still Arceus amazing bulk makes it possible to beat almost any mon. I might have to try this again. To be honest what made me stop using it on the ladder was whirlpools accuracy of 85%. On the ladder you can pretty much use E-killer and win 90% of you games. And contrary to any other Arceus it does not give the same team-support as Support-Arceus or even E-killer.

I noticed that a lot of arceus sets use calm mind a lot. This may sound completely ignorant, but couldn't a physical attacker just start beating it? Granted, 120/120/120 base defense is an unquestionably strong tank, but since all of the effective arceus sets leave physical defense wide open, couldn't mewtwo with psystrike just wipe out all of them (save dark arceus, of course)? If the opponent uses a super effective physical move while arceus is calm minding, it has to turn its efforts to a threat it probably isn't prepared for. This may be a much smaller problem than I see it, and I rarely battle competitively(I joined smogon because I think the strategy aspect is interesting), so my actual experience is slim, but this seems like a somewhat obvious hole...

I noticed that a lot of arceus sets use calm mind a lot. This may sound completely ignorant, but couldn't a physical attacker just start beating it? Granted, 120/120/120 base defense is an unquestionably strong tank, but since all of the effective arceus sets leave physical defense wide open, couldn't mewtwo with psystrike just wipe out all of them (save dark arceus, of course)? If the opponent uses a super effective physical move while arceus is calm minding, it has to turn its efforts to a threat it probably isn't prepared for. This may be a much smaller problem than I see it, and I rarely battle competitively(I joined smogon because I think the strategy aspect is interesting), so my actual experience is slim, but this seems like a somewhat obvious hole...
Well, that's why most Calm Mind Arceus run 252 HP and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature, much like you see 248 HP/240 Def Volcarona in OU. Dancing multiple times isn't certainly hard for Arceus, considering his natural bulk.

The interesting thing about Calm Mind Arceus is how reliably it can set up during a game, and then how easy it is for a boosted Arceus to survive a hit and start wreaking havoc with its power. A modest, Max SpA Arceus reaches a Special Attack of 558 after a CM boost, and can start doing serious damage. When you throw in the fact that Arceus will always get STAB from Judgement + the fact that it gets a further 20% boost from it's plate, you have a sweeper that is outright terrifying after being set up. But yes, the key things about Arceus that differentiates itself from other set up sweepers, physical and special, is it's 120 base stats across the board. Outside of SpA/Atk, you can dump EVs into HP giving Arceus superb bulk, speed, making Arceus extremely hard to revenge kill, or into a defensive stat that your team is weak to. Thanks to Arceus' grand movepool, if you have room, you can even throw in Recover, allowing Arceus to potentially survive for a very long time.

This amazing versatility and bulk makes Arceus far harder to kill than most other Pokemon. Arceus will almost always reliably set up, where as special sweepers like Mewtwo and Mega Blaziken, are often left open to attacks, many which can kill. Physical attackers, no matter how powerful, will often struggle to get a 1HKO, while Arceus sets up, and KOs them the next turn.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me :)

Last edited:

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Well, that's why most Calm Mind Arceus run 252 HP and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature, much like you see 248 HP/240 Def Volcarona in OU. Dancing multiple times isn't certainly hard for Arceus, considering his natural bulk.
This is just a nitpick, but standard Calm Mind Arceus is actually 252 HP / 252 + Spe or 252 Satk / 252 + Spe. It rarely runs Bold and Max Def, due to a few reasons-- it can't outspeed Gengar before it's Mega-Evolved, it will never tie with opposing Calm Mind Arceus, and the additional bulk just isn't really necessary on something with defenses as incredible as Arceus has anyway. I mean, it does help with Pokemon such as Mewtwo (which you can tank a hit from and outright KO anyway, assuming a more standard spread and a few boosts (252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Electric: 190-225 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO), (+3 4 SpA Zap Plate Arceus-Electric Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mewtwo Y: 322-379 (91.2 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO), but is overall not especially necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)