Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

Lanturn is a nice Pokemon, doing lots of things Umbreon can't do like check physical fire types, Yanmega, flyers, etc. Lots of good qualities. I am always hesitant to use it though as Sub CM Raikou sets up all over it (even if u carry hp ground lol), meaning that if I don't want to lose to that I need to pack another hard counter. Actually thinking about it, in general standard Lanturn can get set up on by a whole host of things. Perhaps a nice bulky offensive set could be constructed?
Well lanturn volt absorbs it's strongest move, and hp ice is a base 70 no stab move. It's not doing and real damage and while yes you won't break the sub turn one you can whittle it down and get a slow volt turn to break it.

You're using Lanturn incorrectly if you're trying to beat raikou that way. The whole point is to scald once or twice on a sub (this varies with how many calm minds raikou has up), then break it on the third turn with volt switch and go into something faster that kills raikou from there. Anyone with a damage calculator, lanturn and a scarfed poked beats Raikou pretty easily.
I was just pointing out a a fact, not speaking from actual general viability here.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How do I build and use an offense team ? Any articles I should read ?
This article by kokoloko gives some good tips. Though for an offensive team, you should focus more on your offensive synergy and ensuring you can break through any team, but you should still consider what Pokemon do well against you and make sure you have a good revenger or check.

Thanks, but I've already read this article (and the part two), 3 or 4 times actually lol. I was looking for something with more details about standard and/or bulky and hyper offense.

Hi, I have the current 2050/±65 reqs, but I didn't play the first phase of the suspect test (on the suspect ladder). Will I be able to vote?

Nas

Banned deucer.
Hi, I have the current 2050/±65 reqs, but I didn't play the first phase of the suspect test (on the suspect ladder). Will I be able to vote?
You will be able to send in a special app requesting the right to vote when the identification thread goes up, but there's no guarantees.

You will be able to send in a special app requesting the right to vote when the identification thread goes up, but there's no guarantees.
I also didn't play the first phase of the suspect test, but I also have the current reqs on the UUcurrent ladder. Is there a suspect ladder that will be up later that I also need to get reqs on?

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I also didn't play the first phase of the suspect test, but I also have the current reqs on the UUcurrent ladder. Is there a suspect ladder that will be up later that I also need to get reqs on?
The suspect ladder was first, if you missed it just apply for the special app.

Okay guys, building a team with SubSeed Shaymin as my main pivot, as I've been testing it out and it has the potential to generate crap tons of momentum, however I'm not sure who would be a good partner (or partners) for it. Is there any poke that can give Shaymin's primary counters (Zapdos, Crobat and Roserade) a severe headache whilst maintaining good offensive syngery?

Okay guys, building a team with SubSeed Shaymin as my main pivot, as I've been testing it out and it has the potential to generate crap tons of momentum, however I'm not sure who would be a good partner (or partners) for it. Is there any poke that can give Shaymin's primary counters (Zapdos, Crobat and Roserade) a severe headache whilst maintaining good offensive syngery?
You can try Weavile with Ice Punch.
Weavile can have troubles getting past bulky waters so if you put them together everyone's happy.

Last edited:
You can try Weavile with Ice Punch.
Weavile can have troubles getting past bulky waters so if you put them together everyone's happy.
It can't switch in though. Rotom heat deals with these well. Bulky variants have good synergy as well. Anyway, has anyone used SubSplit rotom h? It sounds p cool imo.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well idk if you want this guy to be your main go-to partner for Shaymin, but Darmanitan is quite excellent with Shaymin, and Grass-types in general due to the fact its main counters (Rhyperior, Bulky Waters) are all highly susceptible to Grass-type moves. However you could also use your own Zapdos, as it pretty much checks all 3 of the Pokemon you just listed one way or another. Bulky Rotom-H, as these guys have said is also pretty nice if you want more of a "middle ground" between Zapdos and Darmanitan. I personally prefer a bulky Specs set of 116 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 136 Speed Modest (OHKOes Rhyperior with HP Grass, no other set it has can do this). But that's all the suggestions I got lol

Nas

Banned deucer.
No, you have to maintain that ranking until the ladder goes down, at which time screenshots will be taken.

ok I have two questions then:
1. will the ladder be frozen at the end of the test?
2. does glicko2 decay on Pokemon Showdown! ?

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It can't switch in though. Rotom heat deals with these well. Bulky variants have good synergy as well. Anyway, has anyone used SubSplit rotom h? It sounds p cool imo.
There's always my Charge beam set which i really love. While Rotom-H has sucky HP, it's nice Defenses give it just enough bulk to abuse Pain Split while not being so ultrafrail.
I've tried subsplit, but the thing is- if you use Overheat, you have to switch out, hence setting up sub becomes a neusience (fuck spelling btw). And if you opt to use HP fire (lol), you're literally getting half the power. (I've tried it- even with a couple Charge Beam boosts, it's totally not worth it) and like I said earlier about Rotom's bulk - if you use sub at the wrong time, you can be easily screwed.
But Subsplit is always a cool strategy and I suggest working with it if you're interested- Rotom-H is one of the most tweakable UU pokes imo.

My fave set:
HM?? (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat
- Pain Split

How it works: Come in on something that is scared to death of Rotom-H. Instead of using the superexpected Overheat, use Charge Beam. You'll most likely get a boost. If not, pretty much keep spamming Charge Beam. After a boost or two, (or more if easily possible) utterly destroy something with Overheat. now, the SpAtk cut doesn't hurt as much! And also Overheat is more spammable. HP Grass is for Swampert/Rhyperior- can be switched for various HPs I would think, but preferably don't lower your speed. 86 base is a pretty nice benchmark for Hera/Nidoking/Kingdra. Pain Split allows you to take a resisted/neutral hit and then cut down your opponent's HP. Out of personal experience, this set can take on many things 1v1, like Snorlax, CM Raikou (although it has to be in, + a little luck), or even Porygon2 depending on set. It doesn't always win, but it definitely makes it easier for the rest of your team.

I don't use shaymin that often, but I would think that the two would have nice synergy.

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What set should I run with Nidoqueen in UU? I like its special attack and all, but it get's K'Od to easily
If you want to run a bulkier queen then just use 252hp/232def/24Spe bold, black sludge, sheer force w/ Rocks, Phasing Move, Earth Power, Coverage Move.

Offensive Nidoqueen is way better than physically defensive Imo, her defenses are quite average, and she really lacks recovery. She's good for countering physical fighting types and Raikou, but pretty much any other attacker can at least 2hKO her. Plus offensive Nidoqueen can hurt physical attackers hard enough to kill or force them out, while physically defensive will often take an extra hit because she can't ohko, because of no SpA investment. Plus she needs both Fire Blast and Ice Beam...
Also she has Roar but things you'd want to roar out can really hurt her. (Suicune, Empoleon, Walrein, Abomasnow...)
I'm not saying defensive Queen is bad but anything she counters is already checked very well by the offensive version which can hit really hard at the same time.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
What set should I run with Nidoqueen in UU? I like its special attack and all, but it get's K'Od to easily
The standard 100 HP/252 SpAtk/156 Spe Modest Nidoqueen has done great for me. I don't like the defensive set as much because I feel like you're not using the traits that set Nidoqueen apart from other pokemon that counter Fightings and Electrics without HP Ice then. (Being Nidoqueen's ability to take a hit while still maintaining offensive pressure.) Nidoqueen isn't meant to last the entire match, so that might be why it's "getting KO'd to easily." If you want something that lasts longer in a match, you'll want to try something like Crobat instead.

If you do need the offensive pressure, the 100 HP/252 SpAtk/156 Speed Modest Nidoqueen is the way to go in my opinion. I generally use a moveset of Stealth Rock, Earth Power, and then I mix and match 2 of Nidoqueen's 3 best coverage options depending on my team. (2 of Ice Beam, Fire Blast, or Focus Blast) Or, if you've got Stealth Rock on another team you can always just choose to go for Earth Power/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Focus Blast as a moveset.

Frankly, the defensive set should only work on really defensive teams that need the ability to lay SR, absorb T-Spikes (like, if the plan if for something like CM Slowbro or Stallrein to sweep), phaze or set up T-Spikes itself, AND be a consistent check to Fighting- and Electric-types (which is the biggest thing missing from the Offensive set, really; that and phaze, of course, but otherwise Offensive Queen is simply great). I dunno if I'd use Earth Power over EQ, though, simply because it's weaker to SubCM Raikou and it only really makes a difference against bulky SD Cobalion. That said, Queen isn't the best answer to Raikou because she loses to every other set, but it's definitely a good check.

The Offensive set's spread really should be 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe Modest (enough for max Speed Empoleon) simply because the things the other spread aims to outrun can easily run more Speed, and it becomes a creeping race that ultimately leaves you weaker to stuff you should be able to take on (like, I know RT. ran enough for Adamant Honch at some point). That's the way I see it, though. Also, if you're not running SR on it (which you frankly should, but whatever) another great move is Sub. It faces serious competition from Nidoking, but it has the advantage of not getting its Subs broken by Umbreon's Foul Play, which means you can technically beat it if you don't get really unlucky with Focus Blast—and everyone knows how great it feels to beat Umbreon with a special attacker; fuk cat.

Trying to use a team with the following Magneton set:
Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

However, PS keeps displaying this error message:
Your team was rejected for the following reasons: - Magneton has moves incompatible with its DW ability.
I've checked on Bulbapedia and Magneton can learn all four moves by HM as of Gen V, even with its Dream World ability. Why is this happening?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trying to use a team with the following Magneton set:
Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

However, PS keeps displaying this error message:
Your team was rejected for the following reasons: - Magneton has moves incompatible with its DW ability.
I've checked on Bulbapedia and Magneton can learn all four moves by HM as of Gen V, even with its Dream World ability. Why is this happening?
That's really odd...You might want to take that straight to Zarel himself on PS, as far as I know that's not an actual problem with the Pokemon itself, it's most likely PS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)