Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Where did you see it? The guy who wrote it probably explained how it was useful.
Psych071c suggested it for Moose when rating his team, he only suggested it to check certain threats while also hitting hard.

I saw it one other time with less speed but I can't remember where. :/

I see the suspect ladder up. Are we testing victini now or something?
Kokoloko said that today is when the ladder would be up, and that suspect testing will yes, have begun. However, a definite rating nor a thread has not been established. I'd play it to something like 2000/50, and check in with the suspect thread if that value isn't correct.

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh, I can't tell you exactly how the ladder functions, (that's a mystery for the programmers to know,) but I would say the "best" way to ladder would be to battle a shitton. Even though you don't get as many points, just keep doing it and you'll get better and better.
That's what I think anyway. I don't ladder very often, but that's how I think most people do it.
/shrug

Other than the obvious making sure you have a good team that wins at minimum 60% of its games against good players, the only real 'trick' to laddering is making sure you win the first 4-6 games on an alt. If you lose any of these you miss out on an opportunity for massive points, and thus it becomes more difficult to get the required ranking. It may also be prudent to try to ladder when the best players are on, usually afternoon/evening in the US, so that you have plenty of good people to beat. If you're stuck fighting jimmyclaydol with all 1150 of his points, you're barely benefiting from each win, and any hax-related loss is going to hurt.

I'm trying out dusknoir since he's a fave but I wanted him to have a set that wasn't blatantly worse than his prevo. I tried trick eq painsplit and ice punch but ran into an issue of bulk or power, any other worthwhile sets gimmicks are fine so long as they work

Uh, I can't tell you exactly how the ladder functions, (that's a mystery for the programmers to know,) but I would say the "best" way to ladder would be to battle a shitton. Even though you don't get as many points, just keep doing it and you'll get better and better.
That's what I think anyway. I don't ladder very often, but that's how I think most people do it.
/shrug
Getting suspect reqs as of now
i just battled a fuckton lol

Is it current for people to use most successful teams ? Mine isn't showing great result, or maybe it's actually decent and the only problem is me...

Iminyourcloset

In UU, a lot of pokemon and sets are viable. A big thing though is how you predict vs. How your opponent predicts. If you have a sucky opponent, overpredicting can be a problem. But if your opponent is really skilled, he may predict your predictions.
That said, you need to know your opponent. If you don't know what moves special victini runs, how do you know your slowbro walls it?
I just say that you should try to read up on common UU mons so you know what to do against them (sorry if this is. A crappy post; on phone.)
Then you'll see how good you are and how good your team is.

Yeah, well I know many UU Pokemons and even some RU, I've read a lot before I started battling. I also know the basic and my predictions are ok, I mean, I'm not THAT bad, I'm just stuck around 1650 which isn't good either...
But sometimes I feel like my team is vulnerable to certain threats, or cores, not that I don't know what to do against them at all, but I have limited options and I have some serious troubles when my only answer is gone. But since like you said, "In UU, a lot of pokemon and sets are viable" I'm not sure if this is normal and I simply have to play better and more carefully against some specific threats or if my team actually has too much flaws.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
When you say you're "weak to certain cores because of limited options" that's completely normal. It's impossible to have a hard counter to 100% of pokemon in UU. That being said, if you get paired up against one of the pokemon or cores that you don't have a hard counter to, you have to play your match differently. For example, Pretend you run a balanced team with Snorlax, Rhyperior, Cofagrigus, or Zapdos because the three of them counter the majority of stuff you'll be playing. (Electric-types, Fire-types, and Fighting-types.) A team like this probably won't have a 100% hard counter to Chocie Band Flygon. It doesn't mean Flygon just comes in and automatically wins, it just means the balanced team has to change their playstyle to try and keep CB Flygon off the field as much as possible. You might threaten it offensively with another fast team member like Scarf Mienshao. Or instead of coming in with Rhyperior and repetitively spamming Earthquake and Rock Blast (possibly letting CB Flygon in for free or very little damage), you might make decisions that have your Snorlax or your Zapdos in more often, because CB Flygon can't switch into a potential Return or Body Slam or HP Ice, so you keep it off the field despite not having a hard counter to it.

Just something to think about. I don't mean this as an insult, but it probably is in how you play the game. Not because you're bad (because I don't think you are), but because how you do on ladder really is all in how you play the game. People peak the ladder every day even though they use things like Claydol or Milotic that are for the most part outclassed by other pokemon. It's just because they play great games and now how to react to different situations.

Other than the obvious making sure you have a good team that wins at minimum 60% of its games against good players, the only real 'trick' to laddering is making sure you win the first 4-6 games on an alt. If you lose any of these you miss out on an opportunity for massive points, and thus it becomes more difficult to get the required ranking. It may also be prudent to try to ladder when the best players are on, usually afternoon/evening in the US, so that you have plenty of good people to beat. If you're stuck fighting jimmyclaydol with all 1150 of his points, you're barely benefiting from each win, and any hax-related loss is going to hurt.
Just read this, it was really heful ty

Iminyourcloset

When you say you're "weak to certain cores because of limited options" that's completely normal. It's impossible to have a hard counter to 100% of pokemon in UU. That being said, if you get paired up against one of the pokemon or cores that you don't have a hard counter to, you have to play your match differently. For example, Pretend you run a balanced team with Snorlax, Rhyperior, Cofagrigus, or Zapdos because the three of them counter the majority of stuff you'll be playing. (Electric-types, Fire-types, and Fighting-types.) A team like this probably won't have a 100% hard counter to Chocie Band Flygon. It doesn't mean Flygon just comes in and automatically wins, it just means the balanced team has to change their playstyle to try and keep CB Flygon off the field as much as possible. You might threaten it offensively with another fast team member like Scarf Mienshao. Or instead of coming in with Rhyperior and repetitively spamming Earthquake and Rock Blast (possibly letting CB Flygon in for free or very little damage), you might make decisions that have your Snorlax or your Zapdos in more often, because CB Flygon can't switch into a potential Return or Body Slam or HP Ice, so you keep it off the field despite not having a hard counter to it.

Just something to think about. I don't mean this as an insult, but it probably is in how you play the game. Not because you're bad (because I don't think you are), but because how you do on ladder really is all in how you play the game. People peak the ladder every day even though they use things like Claydol or Milotic that are for the most part outclassed by other pokemon. It's just because they play great games and now how to react to different situations.
Pretty Much exactly this.
To kinda add on (or emphasize, I guess(?)) to that-
Make sure you think at least think a turn or two ahead (if not more)
I don't mean to be terribly cliche, but Pokemon is so easily relatable to chess as it's a strategy game, and you have to predict exactly what your opponent's going to do.
let's say we're in the endgame of an epic battle. This'll probably be a stupid example, but take the morals from it, not the technicalities.
You have your, idk, Expert belt Victini (You used V-create last turn and are at -1def/spdef/speed; Your opponent doesn't know this) in play and your Specs Raikou (100% health) is your only other pokemon. You're against an incoming Slowbro that you know nothing about, and there's a Rhyperior waiting in the wings, that you know is the SpDef version, but is at ~50% HP. Your Specs Raikou has HP Grass btw.
You can either:
-Stay in, Grass Knot. Probably best option. Slowbro is fairly heavy and has low Spdef.
-Stay in, Bolt Strike. Okay option, but Slowbro has good Defense and he may double switch to Rhyperior (for whatever reason, idk; Grass Knot is safer though)
-Switch out. Probably worst option. No Telling what that Slowbro's packing.
You pick the First option. Slowbro's now below 50%, somewhere around 38%. Surf Koes Victini.
Raikou comes in, and you would hopefully go for obvious HP Grass (thinking: "I won!")
But wait. Slowbro switches out. Regenerator :C. the Rhyperior comes in, and HP Grass kills it easily.
Slowbro comes in again, ~70% or something. You hit HP Grass, hoping no random-ass crit ends you.
HP grass hits Slowbro- it's at 1%...And Slowbro had surf, most likely meaning it was Specs.
Uhoh.
PSYSHOCK. Luckily Raikou's still Alive. HP Grass ends the battle.
See how intense that was?
What was that supposed to teach you? Something like- a battle can have dramatic turns in a matter of seconds- keep all factors in mind.
But my point: Pokemon = Chess. Think ahead.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-50102351
How did my Flygon Survive HP Ice? (Yes I know I played terrible with togekiss, should have just airslashed to death, and I know I made quite a few bad predictions, that doesn't really matter to me though cause I saw all my mistakes)
Anyways Flygon was this: http://i.imgur.com/b3OIUHK.png (standard banded set although I apparently forgot to give it a nature and put the 4 extra EV's into SpD) As Contrary (at least that's how I know him from another game) aka Thousandcuts says, he was running HP Ice with +4 spA IVs. Is min damage on SD Cobalion's HP ICE really not strong enough to kill Flygon (and leave it with 61 HP) even with the x4 weakness or was there some kind of error in programming?

How viable is Expert Belt on a Raikou intended for a VoltTurn focused team over Life Orb? Life Orb seems to wear it down very quickly.

How viable is Expert Belt on a Raikou intended for a VoltTurn focused team over Life Orb? Life Orb seems to wear it down very quickly.
Not that I say this from personal experience, but it would be worthwhile if you were to use it as a way to lure ground types in, only to nail them with either HP ice or HP grass. Otherwise you'd need life orb.

Iminyourcloset

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-50102351
How did my Flygon Survive HP Ice? (Yes I know I played terrible with togekiss, should have just airslashed to death, and I know I made quite a few bad predictions, that doesn't really matter to me though cause I saw all my mistakes)
Anyways Flygon was this: http://i.imgur.com/b3OIUHK.png (standard banded set although I apparently forgot to give it a nature and put the 4 extra EV's into SpD) As Contrary (at least that's how I know him from another game) aka Thousandcuts says, he was running HP Ice with +4 spA IVs. Is min damage on SD Cobalion's HP ICE really not strong enough to kill Flygon (and leave it with 61 HP) even with the x4 weakness or was there some kind of error in programming?
If the Cobalion was Jolly (which it may have been by accident) and had a Lum Berry/Leftovers (I think it's probably Lum or something; I don't see lefties recovery) then it wouldn't be that strong.
0- SpA Cobalion Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flygon: 200-236 (66.44 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However, if the Cobalion had Life Orb, and was Naive (aka no SPATK drop):
0 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flygon: 291-343 (96.67 - 113.95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
btw, in the future try out PS!'s Damage Calc: http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ if you need to see how much damage something does to something else. Verrrrry useful tool ;)
Hopefully I answered your question?

Artikyuno said:
I would definitely say Viable. Although, Life orb does pack a punch. Preferably, Run HP Grass since Expert Belt bluffs choice, then you can get the jump on random Rhyperiors/Swamperts. Unless of course you really need Ice coverage, like if Flygon is a potential threat, or you're worried about Gligar.
Purely for a VoltTurn team, I would suggest Scarfkou. You have to be careful when Volt Switching, but the ability to outspeed any other scarfer is realllllllllllllly convenient. Just a thought ;3

That helped a lot, thanks. However I still think my team has to be improved because it also struggles to beat some of the bulkiest walls, but I'm thinking of using a Choice Band instead of a Choice Scarf on my Guts Heracross, It'll probably be better like this. Also, the Flygon example is pretty good cause I'm using a steel type (Bronzong) especially because of CB Flygon...(And also because I need a Stealth Rock user) But now that you mention it it can' really switch on anything on my team, so I guess I can try using something else instead of Bronzong.

I know I'm not supposed to do that because it is probably considered spam, but I'll do it anyways, simply because I need to VENT OUT MY FRUSTRATION
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uususpecttest-50185101

can someone please calc what percentage of my total attacks went through confusion? I'd really like to know ... because THAT WAS NOT FUCKING FIFTY PERCENT ...
If you have a small enough sample of a 50/50 event, some samples are going to skew markedly against the odds. It's a part of gamblers fallacy to assume that because you're on a losing streak you are about to win when in actuality every loss had the same chance of happening and you winning or losing has nothing to do with what happened previously.

Well still he could only attack once while confused. Of course losing like 9 times in a row doesn't mean you should win the 10th time, but you can consider yourself very very unlucky if you lose 10 times when it's a 50-50 chance every time.

Iminyourcloset

If you have a small enough sample of a 50/50 event, some samples are going to skew markedly against the odds. It's a part of gamblers fallacy to assume that because you're on a losing streak you are about to win when in actuality every loss had the same chance of happening and you winning or losing has nothing to do with what happened previously.
Exactly this.

In case that isn't enough to explain, allow me to make a message to all those who say "Ermagherd <insert hax thing here, like scald burning all the time or something>"

Not to be focused on Warb -he's fine- this is all just in general to people who complain all the time.

You're gambling. At the slots, you realize you keep losing and losing.

The Gambler's Fallacy is a lie that you tell yourself: "Every time I lose, it means I have a better chance to win next time!" IDK why this happens, but it does.
In reality, your chance to win is the EXACT SAME as it was when you first got there.
Scald's burn chance is 30%. That doesn't mean when you use Scald against 100 Burnable pokemon, exactly 30 will be burned. It's like a spinner in board games. If you have a spinner cut into thirds, (I know a third would be 33.3%, but w/e) it won't land on their EXACTLY 1/3 times. This is because the spinner can "choose" (be pointed towards, w/e) any of the three sections, but whatever it chooses is still in play.

If that still is confusing, think of it like this: Every spin of the spinner is one action. The Spinner doesn't have memory or recollection of the previous spin. Hence, it cannot be biased in making a "decision". Hence, it's impossible to have a completely predictable ratio of what selections it made.
Sorry I went on a rant there, but maybe I'll use this (and other people can too; in fact I'd encourage it) so people won't complain so much about this crap.

shady said:
Well still he could only attack once while confused. Of course losing like 9 times in a row doesn't mean you should win the 10th time, but you can consider yourself very very unlucky if you lose 10 times when it's a 50-50 chance every time.
Very unlucky, yes, but oftentimes when intense hax happens to someone, they will do one of three things:
1) totally accept the fact that hax happens (unlikely)
2) Consider themselves unlucky and complain about it, but eventually get over it and not be all grumpy about it for too long (idk how often this happens)
3) They don't understand how percentages work and they go on some kind of rampage and go to me or another mod and say:
"WTF IS UP WIT YOU PROGRAMMINGG!!?!!11ONE!!? I SHOULDOF GOTTEN ONE CRIT, MY OPPENENT GOT WUN AND HE WUN CUZ OF IT. CHECK YO STUFFS CUZ MY DAD WERKS @ NINTENDO" (there's usually more stupid stuff, but meh)
(which is the one I see most often)

I see 3) way too much than I should, and it's pretty annoying. So let me wrap this up with saying that this is a rant to try and rid PS! and Smogon with idiots that don't understand their Gambler's fallacy/blindness to mathematics.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)