Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: PU Edition

What are the flying types people are using to replace Braviary and Talonflame? Been playing around with a rain team and needed something to counter/check Grassy Glide/Terrain teams. I was previously using sub/bulk up Braviary. I have already have Tsareena on my team, but it is still pressured and worn down by u-turn and knock off by Thwackey and opposing Tsareena. Any ideas/advice would really be appreciated.

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
What are the flying types people are using to replace Braviary and Talonflame? Been playing around with a rain team and needed something to counter/check Grassy Glide/Terrain teams. I was previously using sub/bulk up Braviary. I have already have Tsareena on my team, but it is still pressured and worn down by u-turn and knock off by Thwackey and opposing Tsareena. Any ideas/advice would really be appreciated.
Charizard is currently one of the best glue mons in the tier, doing almost everything Talon did besides pivoting while also being much slower. But its special attack lets it break through quite a bit.

Other Flying types like Xatu and Scyther can check Grasses pretty well, though none of these three like switching into Knock Off. Archeops is another option that can't switch in but at least forces Grass types out. You could even use some less popular Flying-types like Rotom-Fan or Silvally-Flying if you wanted to. Other Grass checks that aren't Flying-types include Ribombee, Silvally-Steel, Garbodor, Weezing, Toxicroak, Centiskorch, Alolan Exeggutor, and more. You don't have to limit yourself to just Flying-types!

So what is the actual way of countering Toxicroak? It seems like when your opponent sends out Toxicroak you have to guess if it's physical or special and if you're wrong it sets up in your face and you lose a pokemon. Both versions have priority and hit super hard, I can't think of a single pokemon that counters both, other than maybe Sableye who's shit.

So what is the actual way of countering Toxicroak? It seems like when your opponent sends out Toxicroak you have to guess if it's physical or special and if you're wrong it sets up in your face and you lose a pokemon. Both versions have priority and hit super hard, I can't think of a single pokemon that counters both, other than maybe Sableye who's shit.
Garbodor does fine regardless of that u run psychic but be aware of getting worn down

But what can Garbodor do in response? Surely Toxicroak just sets up more and kills it?

I know you can revenge kill it easily enough but I shouldn't have to face a 50/50 or lose a pokemom every time it comes out for the first time.

Last edited:
But what can Garbodor do in response? Surely Toxicroak just sets up more and kills it?

I know you can revenge kill it easily enough but I shouldn't have to face a 50/50 or lose a pokemom every time it comes out for the first time.
Psychic smacks Toxicroak and the only way it can actually be a threat is with eq, which sd variants usually dont run. So it doesnt matter if its special or physical u should win

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
wondering if anyone's experimented with cosmic power wincon claydol and has an optimal spread for it. ive been using 252 hp/240 def/16 speed with restochesto and it's got great bulk but it's not very strong. should i switch the def evs to spattack maybe? i know it's not its best set by far and that there are plenty of other setup sweepers, wincons, etc, it's just something fun i wanted to play around with

Vulpix03

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RUPL Champion
wondering if anyone's experimented with cosmic power wincon claydol and has an optimal spread for it. ive been using 252 hp/240 def/16 speed with restochesto and it's got great bulk but it's not very strong. should i switch the def evs to spattack maybe? i know it's not its best set by far and that there are plenty of other setup sweepers, wincons, etc, it's just something fun i wanted to play around with
I'd recommend this. CM + Stored power allow claydol to hit hard and iron defense rounds it out. If you run mono psychic you'll probably want t-spike support for guzzlord and other darks. Cosmic power + toxic could be an alternative to allow you to beat darks on your own (this may be what you're running already but you never specified move set). I think speed for max speed aggron is best to use it as set up fodder, and you don't lose out on too much bulk.

Claydol @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Calm Mind / Cosmic Power
- Iron Defense / Toxic
- Stored Power

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
(this may be what you're running already but you never specified move set).
i should have clarified, sorry! here's a pokepaste. this first set is the one im using, and the second is the same set but with special attack evs instead of defense. the speed for aggron is helpful and i might try that but im not sure how necessary it would be since im running body press. im basically just trying to see if putting evs into spattack would be worth it to hit harder with stored power, or if keeping the bulk is more necessary to facilitate a sweep

Vulpix03

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RUPL Champion
i should have clarified, sorry! here's a pokepaste. this first set is the one im using, and the second is the same set but with special attack evs instead of defense. the speed for aggron is helpful and i might try that but im not sure how necessary it would be since im running body press. im basically just trying to see if putting evs into spattack would be worth it to hit harder with stored power, or if keeping the bulk is more necessary to facilitate a sweep
I'd run bulk over special attack in that case, it'll give you more opportunity to set up.

Last edited:
Gonna slightly disagree, because running enough speed to get up one Cosmic Power before being hit is far more effective bulk than the extra EVs. On mobile so can't really go through the speed tiers in the resources thread by now but Claydol is deceptively fast.

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
Gonna slightly disagree, because running enough speed to get up one Cosmic Power before being hit is far more effective bulk than the extra EVs. On mobile so can't really go through the speed tiers in the resources thread by now but Claydol is deceptively fast.
meaning i should definitely be running 56 speed, if not more?

Outsourcing Aggron is a nice bar, if you have a look at the resources thread there is speed tier list, have a look and see what else you feel is a good opportunity to set up and run speed for that. There isn't a right answer here, it all preference.

I would definitely stick and spare EVs in bulk rather than S Atk though.

Is there a reason to use Trick Room in PU, or is it too niche and not viable at all? Also what are good mons in it outside of tr setters?
Well we good setters and abuser, but as always trick room is usually a gimmicky strategy that can work sometimes. So in conclusion, you can pull it off no doubt, but is more inconsistent than most other playstyle.

To clarify Focus Sash is good on offensive Quiver Dance sets as with hazard control you're almost guaranteed one QD (watch out for Gigalith though) which can help you sweep.

But trying to set up Webs at the same time is spreading the mon a bit thin. You're better off with Boots + UTurn to help you pivot and get opportunities to set up webs if you want Webs.

My hot take however is that Butterfree is the better QD sweeper and that Ribombee is best used with Specs.

If you want a suicide lead mon to set up Webs consider Swirlix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)