Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: PU Edition

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Welcome to the SQSA thread! If you're thinking of making a thread that can be answered with one post, please ask your question here instead - new threads should be made for sparking ongoing discussion. If you have any questions regarding Smogon as a whole, please refer to this thread. Likewise, any in-game questions should be taken to Orange Islands.

When posting in this thread, please follow the guidelines below:
  1. When responding to someone's question, please quote their post in order to avoid any confusion for both the questioner and those reading this thread in hopes of having the same question answered.

2. Please don't use this thread to ask questions about whether an ability or Pokemon should be banned. Likewise, please refrain from asking hypothetical questions like, 'what if X Pokemon were to drop from OU.' That is not the purpose of this thread.

3. Many questions you might have can often be answered via a basic Google search - please take some time to search online first before posing your question here.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does PU stand for?

- Nothing; it's meant to imply that these Pokemon "stink" in the regular tiers.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
choice specs manetric worth trying out in the meta or nah?
yes it is, I've experimented with it a few times with good results. Mostly, you would expect people running Manectric to have a scarf. Specs Overheat guarantees an OHKO on Trapinch whereas Scarf Overheat just has a good chance.

Manectric @ Choice Specs
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Is technician Circle Throw Grapploct worthy?
I’ve used it on choice band occasionally and it’s not a terrible option- hits checks pretty hard and (hopefully) brings in something that can’t handle Grapploct. Most of the time I’d rather be clicking CC tho
4 moves would be CC/Brutal/Sucker/Circle

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Is technician Circle Throw Grapploct worthy?
The damage output is nice, though the overall bulk of Throh makes it a bit more appealing for phasing. Rest talk functions better, and Grapploct really wants to use drain punch as that is a big reason why you're using it over Throh in the first place. As said above it's a fine option if you really want the damage output and don't mind not being as reliable/bulky as you otherwise could be but, most of the time you're better off with Throh.
edit: A set it could fit on is Assault vest, over power up punch

Last edited:

jeronipuff

Man made the web, you don't need a name.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
yes it is, I've experimented with it a few times with good results. Mostly, you would expect people running Manectric to have a scarf. Specs Overheat guarantees an OHKO on Trapinch whereas Scarf Overheat just has a good chance.

Manectric @ Choice Specs
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
I think switcheroo would be a better option limiting set up sweepers and walls such as clef over hyper voice. Voice does not hit too much that the fire/electric doesn't and with it having no super effective power it's often underwhelming.

Which are in your consideration the top 10/12 threats that I should consider when building for SwSh PU right now? (Banworthy things or S-A Viable)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Which are in your consideration the top 10/12 threats that I should consider when building for SwSh PU right now? (Banworthy things or S-A Viable)
its really difficult to lay down any definitive list of the top 10-12 threats this early on but you should probably prep for mons like silvally (normal, ground, poison, water) throh, arctovish, swoobat, ninjask, trapinch, pawniard, persian, leafeon, mawile, stonjourner, ludicolo, manectric, etc

jeronipuff

What are people's thoughts on Silvally Ground? It being the only fast ground type in the tier, having a great STAB move and solid coverage with Rock Slide/Ice Beam. Being resistant to rocks with defog and having U-Turn or parting for momentum. Seems solid.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
What are people's thoughts on Silvally Ground? It being the only fast ground type in the tier, having a great STAB move and solid coverage with Rock Slide/Ice Beam. Being resistant to rocks with defog and having U-Turn or parting for momentum. Seems solid.
I like it personally. It’s a nice check to Manectric, Mawile, and Stonjourner. I usually run Rock Slide for coverage to hit stuff like Ninjask and Swoobat.

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 120 HP / 240 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Rock Slide
- Defog
- U-turn

Speed is enough to outspeed Jolly Stonjourner and HP evades the 2HKO from Choice Specs Manectric's Overheat after Stealth Rocks

Is Silvally-Fighting worth using?

I think it may have a niche as a knock off absorber (Thanks to its resistance to Dark and because Memories can't be knocked off), resists Stealth Rock and can beat SR setters like Stonjourner so it can be a good Defogger and it has powerful STAB in Multi-Attack, which has the same BP as Close Combat/Superpower but without drawbacks

jeronipuff

Is Silvally-Fighting worth using?

I think it may have a niche as a knock off absorber (Thanks to its resistance to Dark and because Memories can't be knocked off), resists Stealth Rock and can beat SR setters like Stonjourner so it can be a good Defogger and it has powerful STAB in Multi-Attack, which has the same BP as Close Combat/Superpower but without drawbacks
Yeah I think that it's gotta be pretty good. With it's ability to run mixed it can be a really good breaker for common fighting type switch-ins too.

hi, could i get some tips for playing against arctovish? idk what to do lol
Maybe Lapras?

Water Absorbd makes her immune to Fishious Rend, it quad resists Icicle Crash and it only fears Stone Edge, but even then:

252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lapras: 336-396 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So I'd say Lapras is a good check (And it 2hkos with Thunderbolt)

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
hi, could i get some tips for playing against arctovish? idk what to do lol
Arctovish is mainly only really threatening when using Fishious Rend, and even then only when it's boosted. Scarf Vish hits 343 Speed, so anything faster like Raichu, or another Scarfer like Stonjourner or Leafeon can handle it pretty well especially since all 3 have favorable type matchups against it. Defensive Mawile and Silvally Water can pivot pretty easily as they both can take one hit at least.

Also since Fishious Rend is its best move, Pokemon with Water Absorb can switch into it pretty easily. Lapras and your own Arctovish can actually switch in pretty well and threaten it with either Thuderbolt or Stone Edge. The above post's calc isn't really relevant because no one should be using Choice Band Adamant Arctovish unless it happens to be on a Trick Room team, which is incredibly niche.

Last edited:
The above post's calc isn't really relevant because no one should be using Choice Band Adamant Arctovish unless it happens to be on a Trick Room team, which is incredibly niche.
Yeah, basically I just wanted to show that even when equipped with a CB and a Adamant Nature, Arctovish would never KO Lapras from full health

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)