Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (NU Edition)

I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak: I have a team that can deal with a lot of breakers and sweepers quite well, but it doesn't do well with toxic spam, because it doesn't have a status switch in (like Xatu, refresh Blastoise, etc.). I can squeeze a status sponge on the team, but without major edits, losing one of my team members for a new one will mean I either lose to prominent threats, like Rhydon or Heliolisk; or I won't have stealth rock (or spikes).

So, either I have no hazards, lose to common threats, or lose to toxic spam. By the way, is that even very common? Most teams I run into have at least 2 users, and some even have three. So, if I have to choose (which i think I do), which downside should I pick?

Which are the best hazard setters in NU Meta as of now?
Druddigon gets moldbreaker, allowing it set up rocks in the face of Xatu; it can also opt for rough skin, which punishes rapid spin. Garbodor gets spikes, toxic spikes, and aftermath, helping it chip away the opposing team. Steelix is very bulky, and therefore capable of checking and setting rocks up against many Pokemon. Its steel typing makes immune to toxic, and leftovers keeps it healthy; Garbodor is immune to toxic as well, and can keep healthy with pain split and/or leftovers.

As for more offensive hazard setters, Mega Glalie forces out many hazard removers, and can boom to keep hazards and momentum. Rhydon is a fearsome breaker and rocker in one, meaning it can often force out whatever hazard remover your opponent has. Blastoise is somewhat troublesome for these Pokemon though, as are Decidueye and Dhelmise for Rhydon.

Toxic spikers Weezing and Garb are broken, garb can spike up too. As for rocks, rhydon and steelix are the most common ones, besides (suicide lead) aero, druddigon, palossand and seismitoad. All fairly common and good rockers. Normal spikes aren't very common in NU, but the most common setters are Garbodor, accelgor (can also use t spikes if it wants) and ferroseed I think.

Can Xatu somehow "pursuit-proof" itself? I know that support Delphox uses protect to scout, since pursuit users like Aerodactyl and Sneasel tend to use choice band. Would that be viable on Xatu? I don't think colbur berry would be enough, since the two aforementioned pursuit trappers have STAB moves that are super effective against Xatu (ice/rock).

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Can Xatu somehow "pursuit-proof" itself? I know that support Delphox uses protect to scout, since pursuit users like Aerodactyl and Sneasel tend to use choice band. Would that be viable on Xatu? I don't think colbur berry would be enough, since the two aforementioned pursuit trappers have STAB moves that are super effective against Xatu (ice/rock).
Yes, Xatu has utilized Protect on its standard set before, especially back when Sneasel was more common earlier in the generation. This is still a viable strategy, but it is seen much less currently and Xatu itself has also taken a small hit in usage.

Can someone update the speed tiers? I just noticed Glalie is missing.

eternally: did

Last edited by a moderator:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Passive, struggles with 4 moveslot syndrome, where you want toxic to hit ghosts, seismic toss to hit steels, heal bell to beat toxic spam, while needing stealth rock and milk drink, cause like, if you're not running SR, why aren't you just running Vaporeon. Ye, it sorta checks incin, but like, that can still OHKO Miltank at +2 with a z-move, and pivot variants just press toxic. Outside of that you sorta just gotta question why you're using a super passive mon in a tier where there's a trillion ways to punish passive stuff, and why you're using a mon with very limited defensive utility (it has 3 resists, mostly to mons it loses to) when stuff like Steelix, Rhydon, Seismitoad, and Druddigon arguably all offer more defensive utility, at the cost of not having recovery, and are far more reliable rockers.

In summary: moo it sucks lmao

Expanding on its resistances (assuming Seismic, Toxic, SR, Milk Drink)
SD: +2 252 Atk Incineroar Malicious Moonsault vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Miltank: 375-442 (95.1 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Pivot: Toxics you and switches out, or just u-turns out into pass

CM loses

Sub Toxic Wins (Toxic PP > Heal Bell PP)

Wish Protect draws (aka toxic's you and switches out)

Taunt + Focus Blast trivially wins: 252+ SpA Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Miltank: 256-302 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Offensive: Z-Thunder + Thunder = 90.2 - 106.8% (roll to KO)
Defensive: Loses in long run, but can still pivot

Taunt easily wins, 3 attacks horribly loses

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Why is Miltank unraked in the VR's? (I would like to read legitimate reasons other than boo it sucks lmao)
Miltank's only role is it's somewhat viable at is being a Stealth Rock setter with reliable recovery in Milk Drink and Thick Fat, which gives it some interesting defensive utility. Unfortunately, Miltank has no way of handling Xatu, which hard walls it. Other Rockers like Rhydon, Steelix, and Piloswine can hit it hard while Druddigon has Mold Breaker. Miltank is also very, very passive because it mainly relies on Toxic and Body Slam to deal any sort of meaningful damage.

Edit: waak. Me and quziel posted at the same time. :P

Last edited:
With Quagsire gone, how do you think stall will adapt? Pyukumuku is a rather mediocre replacement. It can't use toxic, block, or spite if the opponent has a Xatu, as you'll be punished if it switches in (though perhaps it's not as common as I think). It also fails to beat power trip Incineroar, which Quagsire could do with curse (and stall has little to no other options for this).

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
With Quagsire gone, how do you think stall will adapt? Pyukumuku is a rather mediocre replacement. It can't use toxic, block, or spite if the opponent has a Xatu, as you'll be punished if it switches in (though perhaps it's not as common as I think). It also fails to beat power trip Incineroar, which Quagsire could do with curse (and stall has little to no other options for this).
It really is not mediocre; some stall teams used it over Quagsire to begin with. Yes, it will lead to you being more limited and needing another Ground type on Stall teams that would have otherwise used Quagsire, but usually the Stealth Rock slot is a Ground type to begin with. Power Trip Incineroar is seen once in a blue moon and is flat-out inferior on non-cheese nowadays. Stall is about as good as it was before, which is not great, but still viable.

Quick question: If I already requested a team in the Teambuilding Lab but it hasn't been made, can I delete the post and ask for a new team? (I wanna ask for a new one, lol. And I wouldn't mind dropping my last request)

EDIT: Also, I would like to ask if there's any relevant mon that hits 168 Speed.

Last edited:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Quick question: If I already requested a team in the Teambuilding Lab but it hasn't been made, can I delete the post and ask for a new team? (I wanna ask for a new one, lol. And I wouldn't mind dropping my last request)

EDIT: Also, I would like to ask if there's any relevant mon that hits 168 Speed.
Sure, sorry about not building the team. The lab is kinda dead since its the end of the gen but I will try to build the team for you :]

Vaporeon hits 166 uninvested and there lots of mons that wanna avoid getting statused with burn from scald or toxic. Dhelmise, taunt weezing, pivot incineroar, bu scrafty etc. should all run 167 speed or more
Ohhh. I see.
Thanks!:]

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I've generally seen U-turn / Multi-Attack or Poison Fang / Surf / Defog with speed for Incin (unsure on the exact nature, but I suspect dropping spA).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)