Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: NatDex Monotype Edition

OP stolen from SS Monotype

Hi all! Please use this thread for any simple questions you may have.

New threads require approval from the moderators of this forum. If you have ideas for a new thread, whether it be a project, resource, or otherwise, please send a PM to maroon and Mateeus. Please do not use this forum for Rate My Team type threads, those belong in the RMT forum.

When posting a question, please use the following guideline:
  1. Your question should provide a brief explanation for context.
  2. When answering a question, please be sure to quote the question so that it is clear what question you are answering.
  3. Please check out the available resources for Monotype before asking a question as your question may already be answered.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?

Check out the Smogon Strategy Dex [Gen 8 WIP] or Pokemon Showdown's Dex. They have lots of great information on competitive Pokemon battling!

What is banned from Monotype?
The National Dex Monotype ban list for Generation 8 will be on the Smogon Strategy Dex [WIP]! Please see the Monotype Sword and Shield Discussion thread while it is being set up.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
First question:
Are you planning on taking action with Urshifu-R
second
Any way I can help?
The council has an eye on a few Pokemon, Urshifu-R is not one of them. Will post later in the appropriate area about potential future tiering updates. This question is also much better suited for the metagame discussion thread. A way you can help is to provide insightful posts to the many resources, threads, and projects this forum has and will run in the future!

What would be a good replacement for Buzzwhole in a mono bug team? Playing a tournament with no legends or UBs and I'm planning on using Bug, cause I like the type, was thinking scarf heracross?

What would be a good replacement for Buzzwhole in a mono bug team? Playing a tournament with no legends or UBs and I'm planning on using Bug, cause I like the type, was thinking scarf heracross?
Heracross is the perfect plug if you wanna not use legends due to bug-fighting and good power.

What are some tips to beat the type a team has a disadvantage in National Dex Monotype? For example, how can a mono water team beat a mono electric team?
Most types have counters or ways to offensively counter pokemon, for example having an Electric immunity is key like mega Swampert who is sadly slower than Raichu-Alola, but you can also run Barraskewda who 2hkos and outspeeds almost everything on electric but is sadly harder to fit on most teams, this replay is a great example of water beating electric https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexmonotype-1315357775

Is there any reason why people are using Chansey over Blissey on mono normal teams? Does Chansey do something that Blissey doesn't?

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Is there any reason why people are using Chansey over Blissey on mono normal teams? Does Chansey do something that Blissey doesn't?
Chansey can run Eviolite, which lets it take Physical and Special hits much more comfortably than Blissey. However, lack of Heavy-Duty Boots lets it be vulnerable to Hazards (eg. Steel/Fairy Spike stacking, Stealth Rock in general). Also...a thing to worry about is if they use Chansey, using counter becomes much more viable...which can lead to cursed interactions such as beating stuff like Lando-T, Alolan Muk, and Zeraora in a 1v1 scenario.

What would be a decent replacement for Zamazenta in mono fighting, as that was my main check for Fairy and as its gone now, well, I am left a bit bare for options....
And I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to team building.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
What would be a decent replacement for Zamazenta in mono fighting, as that was my main check for Fairy and as its gone now, well, I am left a bit bare for options....
And I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to team building.
You technically don't check Fairy by tanking them, but by overwhelming them.
As it is right now though, Mega Blaziken can be used to overwhelm Fairy teams, M.Lucario carries priority in bullet punch, Pheromosa outspeeds all fairies right now and has Poison Jab, and Iron hands can tank a moonblast and retaliate with Heavy Slam especially if using an assault vest.

Also, this is the old thread of NDM, the thread for Gen 9 is here. :blobnom:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)