Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
How outclassed is rock monotype currently?
Its in a bad spot rn due to how prevalent and good Ground and Water is. Lack of defensive core (Cradily isnt good...) and having too many weaknesses makes it a terrible choice in today's metagame. It also doesnt help that the most common coverage other monos have are Earthquake and Close Combat, allowing them to sweep Rock teams late-game.

A Hyperoffensive Rock team with Sticky Webs does do work against types like Flying (because Nihilego), Ground (Barbacle), and the like though, but its very inconsistent and fragile.

Edit: Rock also struggles in beating common defensive cores like Steel Bird-Lando-T, Amoongus-Pex, and Steel's Ferro-Heatran-Steel Bird (especially if lacking Rhyperior), while also struggling to deal with threats like Choice Band Urshifu-R, Weather abusers, and priority users like Scizor and Azumarill.

Mono rock is a bad monotype because rock is just a bad type in general. It's weaknesses are incredibly common types and even if you're not using a type it's weak to, you'll always have more than enough coverage coverage moves that beat mono rock. While I will say that it's not as bad as people say it is (bug and especially fighting are much worse monotypes imo), it's still really bad. While steel teams without melmetal can sometimes be beaten with a few good reads, mono water and ground are entirely one sided matchups and unless the opponent plays like literal shit, I can never see rock ever winning against those. Against every other type, it doesn't fair that well either. You'd only want to use it if you're counterteaming someone who uses mono ice or mono flying. Those are the only good types mono rock has a good matchup against and it's not even a guarantee for rock to win. It's a really fun type otherwise, just waaaaaay too flawed to reliably use.

Its in a bad spot rn due to how prevalent and good Ground and Water is. Lack of defensive core (Cradily isnt good...) and having too many weaknesses makes it a terrible choice in today's metagame. It also doesnt help that the most common coverage other monos have are Earthquake and Close Combat, allowing them to sweep Rock teams late-game.

A Hyperoffensive Rock team with Sticky Webs does do work against types like Flying (because Nihilego), Ground (Barbacle), and the like though, but its very inconsistent and fragile.

Edit: Rock also struggles in beating common defensive cores like Steel Bird-Lando-T, Amoongus-Pex, and Steel's Ferro-Heatran-Steel Bird (especially if lacking Rhyperior), while also struggling to deal with threats like Choice Band Urshifu-R, Weather abusers, and priority users like Scizor and Azumarill.
Thanks! What are the good types to use?

Neko

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Thanks! What are the good types to use?
Good types to use right now are include Flying, Water, Ground, Steel, Fairy, Electric, and Dark. You can refer to this post to get a small glimpse of what each type kinda does (though unofficial, the said person in question has a lot of monotype experience, like a lot), then refer to the sample teams to try them out to see what types are to your liking.

Good types to use right now are include Flying, Water, Ground, Steel, Fairy, Electric, and Dark. You can refer to this post to get a small glimpse of what each type kinda does (though unofficial, the said person in question has a lot of monotype experience, like a lot), then refer to the sample teams to try them out to see what types are to your liking.
Thanks! This really helps! One more thing. How do I find other mono users to battle?

Neko

Last edited:
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

Alternatively, asking the monotype room for battles is possible too. Hope you enjoy Pokemon Showdown and Monotype!

Alternatively, asking the monotype room for battles is possible too. Hope you enjoy Pokemon Showdown and Monotype!
View attachment 428452
View attachment 428453
View attachment 428454
(Teams can be made in the team builder section. See this for more info.

I am on Showdown and making my first mono flying team! Thanks!

I'm thinking of experimenting with more teams. What monotypes (other than flying because i already have a flying team) can bulky offense be used well on?

Neko

I'm thinking of experimenting with more teams. What monotypes (other than flying because i already have a flying team) can bulky offense be used well on?
Bulky offense- similar to balance but more offensively oriented and the defensive mons must have ways to either generate momentum or force progress

Going by this definition, the types that are bulky offense are:
Psychic - Slowbro gets to pivot in something, Galarian Slowking is a SpDef Pivot that hurts a lot, Jirachi sets stealth rocks and generates momentum via U-turn. Breakers such as Latios and Victini exist, and Speed control in the form of TR Hatterene and Scarf Lele are used so stuff like Scarf Zarude or Choice Band Weavile wont run over the team.

Grass - Spikes from Ferrothorn, SR from Cradily forces progress, leading to a Bulu/Rilla/Zarude sweep late-game.

Rainless Water- Spikes from Golisopod, T.Spikes from Pex, and Slowking to pivot in breakers like Crawdaunt, Urshifu-R, and stuff. Scarf Shifu/Tapu Fini acts as speed control to keep Thundurus-T and the like in check.

Non-Screens Dark- Mandibuzz has U-turn, Ttar Heavy Slams the Hatterene, sets SR, and slows down the opposing team, and Sableye disrupts. Breakers like Hydreigon, Weavile, Bisharp, and Goltres appreciate momentum and chip, while Scarf Zarude/Weavile stops threats like Urshifu-R / Galarian Darmanitan / Scarf Galarian Zappy from overwhelming the team.

Dragon- Toxic Spikes and SR from Dragalge and Garchomp forces progress, the defensive-offensive mons like ID Kommo-o and Kyurem are pretty threatening too.. Scarf Pult is too fast and deals with threats like Kingdra, Latis, and Dragapult for it.

Electric- Defensive pivots in Zappy and Rotom-W. (Almost) Everybody pivots. Volt Switch goes brr. Breakers like Zeraora, Alolan Raichu, and Regieleki are there, and the type is too fast so it has no scarfer.

Sandy Ground with Seismitoad as the water absorb- Hippo has SR and Whirlwind to force progress, Seis is immediately threatening and is still a defensive mon.

I hope this answers your question

Last edited:

Neko

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off / Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
Hello, there really isnt a standard spread for A.Wak, but if I were to EV one I'd use these. 180 speed allows you to outspeed and threaten defensive Corviknight, Celesteela, and Pelipper. This is important as Celes can be quite hard to take down for Ghost teams, and suprising Peli can be beneficial in some scenarios [no more rain = happiness for Ghost teams as now Spectrier becomes uncontested and will always go first bar their scarfer now]. Earthquake lets it threaten Toxapex and complete its coverage against steel teams, Poltergeist + Flare Blitz is super threatening for most Monotype teams. Thunder Punch lets it deal with Pelipper, Knock Off for utility, Fire Punch is just a weaker STAB with no recoil.

You can also go 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe with a Jolly Nature to outspeed Spdef Heatran (in steel) and Mantine (Flying), which annoy Spectrier or Gengar very much. [Edit: Upon further thinking, this spread is better, but I'll leave the other one on the top, too]:
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

However, looking at your team, I dont think you really need A.Wak, as you already have an electric immunity. Something like Dragon Dance Dragapult fits the last slot more than A.Wak, if ever

I hope this helps :blobnom:

Last edited:
Hello. I'm new to Mono type and is making a Mono Ghost team. Where can I find an Alola Wak set? I'm trying to include it on my team

https://pokepast.es/30b87b43771595e2 (team for preference)
Hello, i think you could try just an max atk + max hp investment with some speed which you could decide by looking at the Speed tiers. However, i could only suggest it in combo with Jellicent and it still looks kinda bad as it adds a Ground weakness and Ghost hasn't Ground immunities. I think the team could have some improvements but that's more stuff for an RMT thread.

Neko

Hi, what do you think about this mono water rain team? What do you propose to change?
https://pokepast.es/42804c7061abd400
>Azu, the sap sipper variant, is only relegated for stall. This is rain, so it doesnt fit here as it wastes rain turns. Powerful breakers like Choice Band Urshifu-R, Crawdaunt, or even Keldeo are better choices here. Alternatively, Toxapex provides you a physically defensive fallback against scary physical threats like Tapu Bulu and has Z-Haze to deal with Kommonium Kommo-o

>Damp Rock is banned in mono, so swap it with heavy duty boots on Pelipper

>If Natdex Monotype, Stone edge or Stealth Rock goes over superpower on M.Pert, lets it hit the water immune Mantine

>Kingdra isnt good at sweeping Dragon in NDM due to Dragon having access to M.Altaria (its immune to dragon-type moves). Choice Scarf Fini is better at dealing with Dragons because of this (aside from providing terrain and some out of rain speed control)

>Thick Fat Walrein's ability to check Freeze Dry Kyurem is good, however, it doesnt provide anything to the team past that. Slowking can soft check kyurem and provide Future sight support to break down Poison teams

>Expert Belt is better than Life orb on Gren due to lack of recoil. You can also use HP Elec (hits mantine) or Gunk Shot(hits Tapu Bulu really hard or even Lowkick (Deals with Kyurem) over Water shuriken, as the team is already fast enough. Alternatively, Scarf Greninja can also work with U-turn/Ice Beam/Gunk Shot or Dark Pulse or HP Elec or Grass Knot (Pick 2)

I think, if you want, you can check samples to get a better feel of the NDM Meta

I hope this answers your question and I hope you enjoy NatDex Monotype :blobnom:

Hello, i think you could try just an max atk + max hp investment with some speed which you could decide by looking at the Speed tiers. However, i could only suggest it in combo with Jellicent and it still looks kinda bad as it adds a Ground weakness and Ghost hasn't Ground immunities. I think the team could have some improvements but that's more stuff for an RMT thread.
I will take note of that once I develop a sense of the meta

EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
Hello, there really isnt a standard spread for A.Wak, but if I were to EV one I'd use these. 180 speed allows you to outspeed and threaten defensive Corviknight, Celesteela, and Pelipper. This is important as Celes can be quite hard to take down for Ghost teams, and suprising Peli can be beneficial in some scenarios [no more rain = happiness for Ghost teams as now Spectrier becomes uncontested and will always go first bar their scarfer now]. Earthquake lets it threaten Toxapex and complete its coverage against steel teams, Poltergeist + Flare Blitz is super threatening for most Monotype teams. Thunder Punch lets it deal with Pelipper, Knock Off for utility, Fire Punch is just a weaker STAB with no recoil.

You can also go 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe with a Jolly Nature to outspeed Spdef Heatran (in steel) and Mantine (Flying), which annoy Spectrier or Gengar very much. [Edit: Upon further thinking, this spread is better, but I'll leave the other one on the top, too]:
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

However, looking at your team, I dont think you really need A.Wak, as you already have an electric immunity. Something like Dragon Dance Dragapult fits the last slot more than A.Wak, if ever

I hope this helps :blobnom:
I'd just like to make the small edit that Knock Off should not be used as a utility move, as Poltergeist both requires an item to function and reveals the opponent's item upon use.

Instead you could try something such as Low Kick which can OHKO Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Heatran on a balloon and non-Chople Berry Kyurem as well as 2HKO Blissey, should you find yourself using Lightning Rod and do not wish to faint from the recoil.

Neko

What mons are used as ground immunity for Fire teams?
:air_balloon:
Air balloon is usually your friend and Fire's main way to deal with Earthquake. Sticking one on Heatran and/or Volcanion works, as this allows it to disrupt stuff like Landorus-T or Choice Band Excadrill and threaten to OHKO/heavily damage them

:moltres: / :rotom_heat:
Moltres isn't really that good, as Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Excadrill run Rock Slide too. On the other hand, Rotom-H gets nommed because Mold Breaker. Moltres is definitely an option though if you don't like having too many Air Balloon mons.

:shuca_berry:
Shuca Berry lures such as Victini can bait and remove Dragon Dance Dnite and Choice Scarf Galarian Darmanitan in a pinch.

I hope this answers your question :blobnom:

Last edited:
How does mono flying improve it's matchup against ground? Mantine seems like an obvious example, but that doesn't stop Nidoking and Mamoswine from wreaking havoc. I already run psychic and grass knot on Thundurus but since it's a scarf set, I doubt that will be enough.

Neko

How does mono flying improve it's matchup against ground? Mantine seems like an obvious example, but that doesn't stop Nidoking and Mamoswine from wreaking havoc. I already run psychic and grass knot on Thundurus but since it's a scarf set, I doubt that will be enough.
You could try boots thund-t, galarian moltres can also pose a threat against them, as is something like Taunt Torn-T

Using Corviknight or Skarmory (Steel birbs with recovery) also helps, as these can comfortably check Mamo in the long term (compared to steela's reliance on Leech and its item)

Galarian Zappy also helps, in a sense that no one wants him. A more niche solution would be using Specs Zapdos, as no one wants a hurricane in sandy ground at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)