All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

First SQSA can be found here.

Rules and Guidelines

• Try to explain your question as best as possible. The more information we have, the more able we will be to give you the correct answer.
  • When answer a question with a Yes or No answer, please quote the question you are referring to.
  • Try searching Google before asking here.
  • Do not ask about ROMs or other illegal issues.

RBY

In-Forum Resources

GSC

RSE

DPP

Hey

If one does not have a trade thread/shop, is there any shop or trading post that will not require one?

I've got one.

In DPP, if you use Mind Reader, does it allow you to hit a Ghost with a Normal/Fighting type move a la Foresight/Odor Sleuth? Smogon Dex didn't mention it, but I didn't just want to assume "no".

Bulbapedia said no, but since this wasn't in the research threads (from what I could find), I figured I'd do a quick test to make sure. Confirming that no, it does not allow you to hit Ghosts with Normal/Fighting attacks.

Tested on a wild Gastly with Mind Reader + Mach Punch Breloom in SoulSilver ^.^

I'm looking for a nice Vs. Seeker Guide for FireRed rematches. I've seen this GameFAQs guide, but it's not really complete and has errors. I have also looked at the in-game guide Smogon has, but that one is a little messy and I'm not sure it's complete either. Anyone know of others?

Back in the days of G/S/C, the Tyranitar set that I and seemingly everyone else used was Rock Slide / Crunch / Earthquake / Flamethrower (sometimes with a different elemental move over Flamethrower). I did pretty well on GSBot with it too. However, none of the sets in the analysis are even similar. What happened? Is this set outdated or something?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am pretty sure, Ttar had a revamp recently, and that set may have been taken out :(

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi. Yeah, I did the revamp. No, that set is not explicitly enumerated (much like RS/EQ/Curse/Roar), but one difficult thing about Tyranitar is that if you start letting every permutation of the mixed attacker have a set, it quickly gets bogged down. I tried to stress that Tyranitar was very customizable for this reason. Still, while it's a somewhat effective and popular set, Tyranitar is honestly a subpar mixed attacker today without either DynamicPunch to give it confusion luck and/or Pursuit to nab the things it's scaring out as the opponent switches to a wall.

Alright is Hitmontop viable in OU at all for Gen 2? He seems like a decent rapid spinner with good special defense and having a super effective STAB vs Cloyster. Could he pull off Curse+Mach Punch?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hitmontop is garbage in GSC. Starmie's the best Spinner period, Cloy & Forry get Spikes, Donphan makes a better Physical presence, and even Tentacruel by virtue of its Toxic immunity is a better dedicated spinner if all you care about is being able to spin against both Cloyster and Forry. Not to mention that all these guys take punishment much better than Hitmontop; the guy's barely got over 300 HP, no outstanding defenses, and no useful resistances, so he's not taking a hit worth anything.

Curse + Priority is a bad strat in GSC. It just doesn't do enough damage. The only case where it's remotely worthwhile is in Dnite's case, and even then, Double-Edge does the same amount of damage as a +1 Espeed, but without needing a turn of setup or a coverage moveslot foregone for Curse.

Stadium Only:
*Sleep lasts 1-3 turns.
*If a Pokémon defeats an opposing Pokémon with a recoil move, the Attacker does not suffer recoil damage.
*Wrap is complicated. It ends when the either Pokemon switches out, and negates the recharge turn of Hyper Beam only if successful. Details here.
*Substitute blocks the effects of Absorb, Dream Eater, Leech Life, Leech Seed, Mega Drain, and all status ailments inflicted by the opponent.
*After a move which causes self-inflicted confusion (e.g. Thrash) ends, the game will display a message stating that the target is confused.

RBY Only:
*If a Pokémon defeats an opposing Pokémon with a recoil move, the attacker suffers recoil damage.
*An immobilized Pokémon cannot select an attack.
*Wrap continues if the target is switched out.
*When a paralyzed Pokémon's Speed is modified, its Speed reduction is nullified.
*After a move which causes self-inflicted confusion (e.g. Thrash) ends, the game will not display a message stating that the target is confused.
*Recovery moves fail when the difference between a Pokémon's current and maximum HP is 255 or 511.
*If Hyper Beam KOs a foe, breaks a Substitute, or misses the recharge turn is skipped.
*A Substitute will not block status ailments except poison. It also blocks confusion moves such as Confuse Ray and stat reduction moves such as Screech. Substitute will block attacks' secondary effects (ex: Body Slam can't paralyze if it hits a Substitute, even if it breaks) except for secondary confusion. Substitute will not block the effect of partial trapping moves. A Substitute will also be the recipient of self-inflicted confusion damage. Lastly, HP draining attacks used on a Substitute will not drain HP when breaking the Substitute. If a Pokémon breaks a Substitute with *Explosion or Selfdestruct, it will not faint, though its picture will no longer be visible until it switches out or uses Substitute. If a Pokémon breaks a Substitute with a recoil move, it will not take any recoil damage. Substitute will not alter the execution of Bide, Counter, Disable, Haze, Leech Seed, Super Fang, Transform, or partial trapping moves, and it will not absorb crash damage, recoil damage, or recurrent damage. However, a Substitute will absorb self-inflicted confusion damage and prevent the user from flinching. If the user's current HP is less than 25% (rounded down) of its maximum HP, it will be too weak to make a Substitute. If the user's current HP is exactly equal to 25% (rounded down) of its maximum HP, it will faint upon creating the Substitute.
*Focus Energy will not only not make a Pokémon's critical hit ratio higher, it will quarter it instead.
*Effectiveness message oddities.
From http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85497

Also http://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/differences is a good source

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
RBY Wrap Details: Mechanics after Death?

So we know this about Wrap:

In link battles, when Wrap is used, you use 1 PP, and a Wrap "queue" is set where you are not prompted to select a move until you use all the Wraps in the queue. While more Wraps are queued, one of two things can happen:

1) The opponent stays in, and the message "X's attack continues" appears on the screen. Wrap PP is not used.

2) The opponent switches out, and the message "X used Wrap" appears despite not being prompted to use a move. Wrap is forced into usage, and PP is used. If 0 PP of Wrap are left but the user is forced to use it, PP will roll over to 63 as Wrap is used anyway.

What is unaccounted for here is death of the target of Wrap. I found this video which seems to indicate that after the target dies, even with Wraps still in queue, the user is prompted to use another move, and thus is not forced to use Wrap. This is not a link battle though, but an in-game battle. My questions are as follows:

1) In link battles, are Wrap users prompted to use another move even after the target dies, regardless of the number of Wraps left in queue (i.e., same as in-game mechanics)?

2) Even if the user is prompted for a move, might the user be forced to use Wrap anyway in such a peculiar case? In-game it's uncertain, since in the video supplied the user selects Wrap anyway, and in link battles I really don't know.

3) Regardless of the answers to the above questions, might Wrap PP roll over if it is used for PP after the target faints? (In other words, regardless of whether the user is forced to use Wrap or not, could fainting a Pokemon with your last Wrap PP allow Wrap to be used and PP to wrap around on the following turn?)

What berry lowers the Special Defense EVs and where can it be found?

Also as for the way Pokemon battles in Colosseum were set up and I want to take care of this during that time, is there a way to find EV reducing berries in Ruby and Sapphire? Either that or I'm going to find a way to study how EVs are spread in that Orre region 3D based game.
Grepa Berry, the Berry Master or Kiri in Sootopolis city

What happens if you trade a Metal Coat Scyther to an RBY game and then back to GSC?
I dont think you can trade a pokemon holding an item to a RBY game iirc
You can trade a Pokémon holding an item to R/B/Y. When you trade it back to G/S/C, it will still be holding that item. In the case of Scyther holding Metal Coat, it simply won't evolve (either going from G/S/C to R/B/Y or the way back).

gumnas

formerly .Maguss.
You can trade a Pokémon holding an item to R/B/Y. When you trade it back to G/S/C, it will still be holding that item. In the case of Scyther holding Metal Coat, it simply won't evolve (either going from G/S/C to R/B/Y or the way back).
No. The game doesn't allow you to enter the Time Capsule Pokémon if there is a Pokémon holding an item.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
via Bulbapedia

when a Pokémon obtained in Generation I is traded to a Generation II game through the Time Capsule, it may be holding an item, such as a TM09 held by an Abra. Likewise, items held by Pokémon traded to Generation I will not be lost.

Looking to set up a team for my Heart Gold game. Need help.

So, I'm looking to piece together a team- Some candidates I'm looking at for my team are Arcanine, Jolteon, Gyrados, Tyranitar, and Meganium. Could you please give me any suggestions for move set and the 6th?

I already have an idea with what I want to do with Gyrados- Leftovers Roar/Rest/Waterfall/Sleep Talk.

I got a question. I think I have it pretty much down but it would be very helpful if someone explained how stats worked in RBY and how can I get from catching a pokemon to having a level 100 that's ready to fight in a battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)