All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
Hey I've been away from playing showdown for a while and am getting back into it. (I left shortly after Ultra Sun and moon was released) I was wondering how are the RoA tiers selected for showdown. Since I built a DPP UU team and I would love to use it
Tiers have changes here and there (DPP Ubers added Farceus and DPP OU brought down Latias); however, as far as I know, DPP UU hasn't been touched since mence got banned.

Tiers have changes here and there (DPP Ubers added Farceus and DPP OU brought down Latias); however, as far as I know, DPP UU hasn't been touched since mence got banned.
You miss understood me. I wasn't asking if the tiers had been changed, I was wondering how I could play the tier on showdown

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
You miss understood me. I wasn't asking if the tiers had been changed, I was wondering how I could play the tier on showdown
Oh my bad. The best way, imo, is to just type in the chat that you're looking for a DPP UU game. I see at least one request a day, so you're not alone.

What Pokemon would be above B2 rank (top 8 Pokemon) if all sleep-inflicting moves (including rest) are banned in GSC OU?

Why can't we just do a standard suspect test for counter? If it's too easy to get requirements in a standard suspect test, can't they raise the GXE requirement?

Last edited:
So I’m new to gen 1 OU overall and was looking at the sample teams. I understand the reasoning for minimizing attack on certain mons but what’s the reasoning behind the sample team suggesting an attack DV of 2 instead of 0?

So I’m new to gen 1 OU overall and was looking at the sample teams. I understand the reasoning for minimizing attack on certain mons but what’s the reasoning behind the sample team suggesting an attack DV of 2 instead of 0?
The HP DV is calculated based on the other DVs and 1 Attacking DV (2 IVs in the import file which still uses the 31 IV format) is the lowest you can go without reducing your other stats.

I'm a avid gen 2 battler, i mainly play on the cartridge. I find it silly that almost impossible to obtain event moves are legal and a meta is played on showdown that doesn't exist anywhere else, and never existed on the cartridge.

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
I'm a avid gen 2 battler, i mainly play on the cartridge. I find it silly that almost impossible to obtain event moves are legal and a meta is played on showdown that doesn't exist anywhere else, and never existed on the cartridge.
That sounds like the HP electrics unban discussion back in 2012. I know it's tricky on ADV and previous generations because well, if you want to be purist there wasn't a viable trading system other than game link cable... but I would say that isn't like meta played on showdown doesn't exist anywhere else but at the contrary, the meta played on cartridges doesn't exist anywere else.

More like lovely kiss, rapid spin Golem, Growth etc. Event dis moves. I played through gen 1 enough to finally get dec HP Zapdos and I caught Raikou over and over until I finally settled on HP grass.
I played the tourny scene from 2001-2005 and none of these event moves existed. I play on the virtual console now vs friends - there is no way to get these moves. Even back in the day these had poor distribution and no one had them. Game link cable was the only way to trade.
The internal battery life on old game cartridges has a life of < 10 years so the only way these moves exist now is if people traded them over to stadium or to a new refurbished cartridge every 7 years or so.
These moves make for a better meta, yes. But are they ridiculous, promote hacking and represent a meta that never ever existed? Yes.
May as well just throw in whatever you like and change stat dists to make unviable pokemon viable. Call it smogon gen 2 or something.

Reactions: CPU
More like lovely kiss, rapid spin Golem, Growth etc. Event dis moves. I played through gen 1 enough to finally get dec HP Zapdos and I caught Raikou over and over until I finally settled on HP grass.
I played the tourny scene from 2001-2005 and none of these event moves existed. I play on the virtual console now vs friends - there is no way to get these moves. Even back in the day these had poor distribution and no one had them. Game link cable was the only way to trade.
The internal battery life on old game cartridges has a life of < 10 years so the only way these moves exist now is if people traded them over to stadium or to a new refurbished cartridge every 7 years or so.
These moves make for a better meta, yes. But are they ridiculous, promote hacking and represent a meta that never ever existed? Yes.
May as well just throw in whatever you like and change stat dists to make unviable pokemon viable. Call it smogon gen 2 or something.
I moved your posts into here because it seems more appropriate; the other thread catalogues the competitive metagame played online.

The metagames we play online only use moves that have been at one point legally obtainable through the games or Nintendo events, to the best of our knowledge. We could have banned event exclusive moves but we chose not to, and that decision has been consistent in the Smogon metagame for more than a decade. There's nothing illegitimate about the metagame we play (apart from Sleep / Freeze Clause) but it's true that the event moves are either unobtainable or exceedingly difficult to legally obtain for someone just starting out on a cartridge.

If you are going to continue being a cart player, you will probably have to settle for a metagame without event moves. You have the opportunity to explore a metagame that probably hasn't been thoroughly developed by top players, which could be exciting if you make the most of it. There's no reason we can't play this as a side meta here on Smogon too; people do enjoy playing alternative metagames. The only problem is that a lot of people are so used to the Smogon standard GSC OU that they might not even know which moves are event moves, so we would need adequate resources to promote and implement it. If you are interested in starting a thread on No Event Move GSC OU, feel free to let the RoA staff know.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean DeathMetal is right in that virtually all GSC event mons that have these sorts of moves are from PCNY, which required you to be in New York to get, although a few of these events were also more broadly available i.e. the shiny venusaur is nothing special. it's just shiny.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Gotta_Catch_'Em_All_event_Pokémon

I believe it would be pretty easy to remove these moves and make a custom metagame, but yeah not going to happen to official Smogon GSC for the reasons Earthworm stated.

So I heard that USUM OU recently got some changes in the viability rankings. What caused these changes when Gen 8 has been out for almost a year now?

I am interested in if pokemons' tier placements change if used enough or not enough in certain gens, because I've seen Moltres in gen 3 move from UUBL to OU and Victreebel in gen 1 move from UU to OU, and I've seen Raikou move from OU to UUBL in gen 3, but then why hasn't Clefable or Nidoqueen in gen 4 moved from UU to OU or a plethora of mons move down like electivire, ninjask, and dusknoir in gen 4, infernape and haxorus in gen 5, and raikou in gen 6 move to UU or UUBL, they definitely have sufficient, or insufficient usage to move to the respective tiers they should be placed in, so what gives?

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
I am interested in if pokemons' tier placements change if used enough or not enough in certain gens, because I've seen Moltres in gen 3 move from UUBL to OU and Victreebel in gen 1 move from UU to OU, and I've seen Raikou move from OU to UUBL in gen 3, but then why hasn't Clefable or Nidoqueen in gen 4 moved from UU to OU or a plethora of mons move down like electivire, ninjask, and dusknoir in gen 4, infernape and haxorus in gen 5, and raikou in gen 6 move to UU or UUBL, they definitely have sufficient, or insufficient usage to move to the respective tiers they should be placed in, so what gives?
Old gen tiers aren't changing anymore. This is a choice by Smogon, so that way people who played the tier 10 years ago can come back and still play it today. Not everyone agrees with the policy, but when you have so many dead tiers without any way to properly test, explore or develop meta, it makes sense.
Therefore, nothing is ever added to old gen tiers, unless there's a strong reason to do so (see Farceus' legality in DPP Ubers) or if there is a strong community push and proper suspect testing (see Latias in DPP OU). Although many people love the DPP lower tiers, they certainly aren't being played enough to have a suspect voting, especially for such a large dump of meta changing mons.
On the flip side of this, things can be removed from a tier, but only when the tier is being "worked on". We see this in occasional situations like BW's recent Sleep Clause, where sleep was deemed uncompetitive and removed or when RBY moved up Vic and Rhdyon to OU and moved down Golem to UU. Also, there are tiers that are still being developed and explored by an active community, like GSC NU, where things will be removed. In this case things are backed by a hard working and active community. Things are moved to BL, because it doesn't mean anything and ultimately doesn't affect anything, despite how much some people passionately fight over the addition or removal of BL mons. Again, this is so that the tiers aren't changed, so you can play DPP UU now and in 10 years still be able to play it.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
So I heard that USUM OU recently got some changes in the viability rankings. What caused these changes when Gen 8 has been out for almost a year now?
Metagames are never stable. The oldest generation, RBY, has huge meta shifts where one pokemon will be strongly viable one year and then the next year people have learned to counter that mon and so it dropped to barely viable. As people look for the best ways win, new things will be discovered and people's perspectives and choices will changes. So, as long as tiers are played by an active community, metagames will forever change and nothing will ever stabilize to the point where a VR won't change.

E: (Sorry for the double)

Old gen tiers aren't changing anymore. This is a choice by Smogon, so that way people who played the tier 10 years ago can come back and still play it today. Not everyone agrees with the policy, but when you have so many dead tiers without any way to properly test, explore or develop meta, it makes sense.
Therefore, nothing is ever added to old gen tiers, unless there's a strong reason to do so (see Farceus' legality in DPP Ubers) or if there is a strong community push and proper suspect testing (see Latias in DPP OU). Although many people love the DPP lower tiers, they certainly aren't being played enough to have a suspect voting, especially for such a large dump of meta changing mons.
On the flip side of this, things can be removed from a tier, but only when the tier is being "worked on". We see this in occasional situations like BW's recent Sleep Clause, where sleep was deemed uncompetitive and removed or when RBY moved up Vic and Rhdyon to OU and moved down Golem to UU. Also, there are tiers that are still being developed and explored by an active community, like GSC NU, where things will be removed. In this case things are backed by a hard working and active community. Things are moved to BL, because it doesn't mean anything and ultimately doesn't affect anything, despite how much some people passionately fight over the addition or removal of BL mons. Again, this is so that the tiers aren't changed, so you can play DPP UU now and in 10 years still be able to play it.
So since no harm is done when Pokemon move between UUBL and OU, is it fair that some Pokemon move between them to more accurately represent the metagame today, this helps newcomers understand what threats are important to a metagame, besides if OU stands for Overused, and some of the Pokemon in that tier are not Overused, then should they be allowed in that respective tier placement?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)