Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

I have a question about the move Encore.

Say I use an Anti-lead Gallade, my opponent's opening pokemon uses Fake Out and Gallade's speed is raised after it flinches.

Next turn my Gallade is faster and uses Encore, would my opponent then be unable to make a move that same turn?

What is a good 4th move for this Kingdra?

Kingdra @ Lum berry (Jolly)
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Waterfall
???
Substitute is probably the best option because it protects Kingdra from status moves that severely cripple it and also eases prediction. Yawn is decent alternative as well as it causes switches which is useful if you have entry hazards on the field and can help you set-up.

I have a question about the move Encore.

Say I use an Anti-lead Gallade, my opponent's opening pokemon uses Fake Out and Gallade's speed is raised after it flinches.

Next turn my Gallade is faster and uses Encore, would my opponent then be unable to make a move that same turn?
If after Steadfast you do outspeed the foe and they do not switch out, Encore will target Fake Out so they can't move that turn and they will switch next turn unless they want to sacrifice their Fake Out lead. Keep in mind, Fake Out leads are much more common in UU than OU where Gallade lies

What is a good 4th move for this Kingdra?

Kingdra @ Lum berry (Jolly)
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Waterfall
???
I like Substitute in that last slot but Yawn works as well

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I had a larvitar with pursuit that I was breeding. Well it was in the day care pursuit got deleted. Is it posible to get it back by using heart scales at the move tutor even though it is a egg move.

If after Steadfast you do outspeed the foe and they do not switch out, Encore will target Fake Out so they can't move that turn and they will switch next turn unless they want to sacrifice their Fake Out lead. Keep in mind, Fake Out leads are much more common in UU than OU where Gallade lies
Thanks, also any suggestions as to what item to give Gallade? I'm thinking Focus Sash, but that may not be necessary since Fake Out rarely 1HKOs.

Stat Stages and Choice Items?

Alright, so I'm a pretty small time player, I just play at school with friends and fellow nerds and stuff. But I need some more info on this whole sweeping thing.

Hypothetically, my main attacker is my Feraligatr. He has, say, 150 Attack and level 50. HYPOTHETICALLY :D

Now, say my friend has a Feraligatr with the exact same nature, attack, EV/IVs and whatnot. HYPOTHETICALLY :D

I'm in a battle with him. He has a Choice Band, and I have Swords Dance. My question lies therein; Will I have higher attack than he will after one use of Swords Dance? This has been confusing me for a while. I know that Choice Band raises Attack by 50%, bringing him up to 225 Attack. How much of a stat-increase does raising Attack by one stage provide? After knowing this, I can just double the percentage for Swords Dance, Agility, Nasty Plot, and the like. Thanks so much!

I'm thinking about breeding a NP Chatot for OU. What would be the best Hidden Power? Water, Grass, Ice, Electric, Rock, or Ground?

Alright, so I'm a pretty small time player, I just play at school with friends and fellow nerds and stuff. But I need some more info on this whole sweeping thing.

Hypothetically, my main attacker is my Feraligatr. He has, say, 150 Attack and level 50. HYPOTHETICALLY :D

Now, say my friend has a Feraligatr with the exact same nature, attack, EV/IVs and whatnot. HYPOTHETICALLY :D

I'm in a battle with him. He has a Choice Band, and I have Swords Dance. My question lies therein; Will I have higher attack than he will after one use of Swords Dance? This has been confusing me for a while. I know that Choice Band raises Attack by 50%, bringing him up to 225 Attack. How much of a stat-increase does raising Attack by one stage provide? After knowing this, I can just double the percentage for Swords Dance, Agility, Nasty Plot, and the like. Thanks so much!
Raising it by one stage increases it by 50%, same as the Choice Band. Two stages increases the original stat (all stages are relative to the original stat--they don't stack on top of each other) by 100%, then 150% etc. So yes, you would have the higher attack after a Swords Dance.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EV's: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 SpD
-Substitute
-Will-o-Wisp
-Focus Punch
-Payback

EV's are built for as much bulk and attack as possible while still leaving enough to survive Timid LO Shadow Ball from Gengar. Set up the Sub coming in unless otherwise. Spread burn when possible to physical attackers. What do you guys think of me using this on a bulky offensive that spreads burn/paralysis? The one I have is neutral nature, but I don't know what nature to pick if I did pick one(Adamant, Impish, Careful)

Thanks, also any suggestions as to what item to give Gallade? I'm thinking Focus Sash, but that may not be necessary since Fake Out rarely 1HKOs.
Would you mind posting the set so a better item recommendation can be made? From what I can tell, you would never use a Focus Sash because it would always be broken by Fake Out, you would Encore the Fake Out and probably switch out, which means no more item.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EV's: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 SpD
-Substitute
-Will-o-Wisp
-Focus Punch
-Payback

EV's are built for as much bulk and attack as possible while still leaving enough to survive Timid LO Shadow Ball from Gengar. Set up the Sub coming in unless otherwise. Spread burn when possible to physical attackers. What do you guys think of me using this on a bulky offensive that spreads burn/paralysis? The one I have is neutral nature, but I don't know what nature to pick if I did pick one(Adamant, Impish, Careful)
If your EVs are specifically for fear of Gengar, I would drop the Special Defense, maximize Attack, and run Shadow Sneak to 1HKO offensive Gengar. Sucker Punch is an option as well but doesn't get STAB and Sucker Punch will ruin you if they have Substitute

What is the best way to get onto a tournament cause i never really understood how to get into one and i have always wanted to? Thanks.

What is the best way to get onto a tournament cause i never really understood how to get into one and i have always wanted to? Thanks.
You can go on the Pokémon website during the VGC and search for tournaments near you, or you can participate in the Smogon Tour next time it rolls around

Would you mind posting the set so a better item recommendation can be made? From what I can tell, you would never use a Focus Sash because it would always be broken by Fake Out, you would Encore the Fake Out and probably switch out, which means no more item.
Jolly 252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

May replace Psycho Cut with Stone Edge for better coverage.

Alright, I was curious about the rules of an RNG'd Egg. If I were to say, RNG a shiny Bulbasaur Egg with fairly decent IV's and transfer it to Heart Gold, would it be Shiny in Heart Gold, or does the Shininess stick to the game of it's creation.

Additionally, I was thinking to use Magmar on the same team as the theoretical Shiny Bulbasaur (going for nostalgic pokemon). As somebody who doesn't really like Magmortar, is there that dramatic a disadvantage to using Magmar over Magmortar? What would Magmar accel at that Magmortar wouldn't?

Alright, I was curious about the rules of an RNG'd Egg. If I were to say, RNG a shiny Bulbasaur Egg with fairly decent IV's and transfer it to Heart Gold, would it be Shiny in Heart Gold, or does the Shininess stick to the game of it's creation.

Additionally, I was thinking to use Magmar on the same team as the theoretical Shiny Bulbasaur (going for nostalgic pokemon). As somebody who doesn't really like Magmortar, is there that dramatic a disadvantage to using Magmar over Magmortar? What would Magmar accel at that Magmortar wouldn't?
If you hatch the egg on the first game, it will be shiny. If you transfer the egg and then hatch it, it works off of the new games ID/SID and isn't shiny. Once it is hatched and shiny, however, it is shiny for life(barring hacks).

As for Magmortar, the only advantage Magmar has is 10 high base speed. They have the same Att, but Magmar has 10 lower on hp & defenses as well as 25 lower Special Attack.

If you trade the shiny Bulbasaur egg to a different game it will NOT be shiny first of all. It is only shiny in the game it was bred to be shiny in. So if you bred it using the ID/SID of your other game then it would hatch shiny there.

Also Magmar has a base speed of 93 which means it can outspeed many pokemon, but the main problem is that its defenses are very bad and are improved by evolving it to Magmortar (increased by 10 in HP, Def and SpD) and you increase your SpA by 25 when you evolve it, but by doing so you would have a base speed of 83. You essentionally gain 45 BST by evolving Magmar though, which is obviously helpful.

If Sleep Talk selects Protect (or another priority move) against a speedier opponent, does it activate first and choose Protect, or does it activate after the opponent attacks, and fail?

Chateau:

Sleep Talk chooses a move as part of its effect. Sleep Talk's priority level doesn't change even if it would be guaranteed to choose a move with a higher priority level.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
@ Midreavus: I would use a DD-Tar, because I like it a lot and becuse I find it is useful to have a boosting sweeper on teams, just in case you can get a free turn. I don't know all about Stadium, but if you only have two on a team, you probably don't switch, in which case I would recommend against another choice user, at the very least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)