Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

So where do I exactly "start" with CAP I am extremely confused which forum I should go in first to learn and contribute to the metagame, is there like an introduction forum I can see if so can I have a link to it

So where do I exactly "start" with CAP I am extremely confused which forum I should go in first to learn and contribute to the metagame, is there like an introduction forum I can see if so can I have a link to it
This is the metagame forum that contains all current information pertaining to the Sword shield CAP metagame.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/create-a-pokemon-metagame.477/

This introduction to CAP is mostly up to date and explains each CAP and what it can do in the meta as well as particularities of the CAP SS metagame:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/introduction-to-ss-cap.3676003/

In general there’s a lot of similarities between CAP and OU. Often what’s good in OU can be translated to CAP as well.
Obviously there are differences in Viability and team composition as CAPs shake up the Meta.
The VR and Sample teams thread are a good place to start building CAP teams and the metagame discussion thread provides additional information.

Note that these resources aren’t entirely up to date as we just released our newest CAP creation Saharaja.

The initial opinion of it is, that it’s able to shake up team structures, as its unique defensive profile helps make the ground team slot more versatile and that it can be a formidable wincon with Swords Dance and Rapid Spin, that you need to account for in Teambuilding.

For the hottest topic metagame and CAP project discussion you should also check out the discord.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Who do I ask to get :ss/necturna: routed to the wonderful (2D gif of a) 3D model instead of the animated sprite?
I have been looking into and attempting to resolve these issues with outdated/missing assets in the builder, strategy dex, and forums. The goal is to have these resolved before the launch of generation 9 along with all the other housekeeping we plan to address.

A handful of caps have in-game signature moves that belong to a single Pokémon, and these moves appear to have in-game availability that ties to these single Pokémon. Examples are Nectruna, Equilibra, and Saharaja. When Gen 9 rolls around, will there be any provisions that will allow these caps to keep those moves if the in-game user is not available?

Wulfanator

A handful of caps have in-game signature moves that belong to a single Pokémon, and these moves appear to have in-game availability that ties to these single Pokémon. Examples are Nectruna, Equilibra, and Saharaja. When Gen 9 rolls around, will there be any provisions that will allow these caps to keep those moves if the in-game user is not available?
I don't think there is a clear answer for that. In the case of Necturna, we already face this problem to some extent. Gen 8 moves cannot be sketched since sketch is not available. Every other move has to be "sketched and then transferred" to the current gen. The main issue is that CAP's original goal was to use OU as its foundation. Adding provisions messes with the ruleset and no longer makes it as simple as OU ruleset+CAPs. This would need to be taken to PRC and would involving redefining CAP and its goals.

Winrates are often deceiving, especially when a Pokemon is popular. Furthermore, CAP just has a very small sample size of high-quality games because of how small the CAP player base is, so winrates are an even more iffy metric.
Is there a way to view the individual performance of a pokemon in a battle? like, how many KOs it's getting & how much it contributes to wins? (sry if there's an obv answer, new to the forum as a whole

Winrates are often deceiving, especially when a Pokemon is popular. Furthermore, CAP just has a very small sample size of high-quality games because of how small the CAP player base is, so winrates are an even more iffy metric.
sure but the same can be said for usage stats. also all you really need to do is use "real" win rates rather than regular win rates (where games when the pokemon is on both teams wont count).

there's downsides to both. but thats not the point. the point is that having both sets of data is far superior to just having one

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
sure but the same can be said for usage stats. also all you really need to do is use "real" win rates rather than regular win rates (where games when the pokemon is on both teams wont count).

there's downsides to both. but thats not the point. the point is that having both sets of data is far superior to just having one
The issue here is that winrates are very often dependent on the players using the mon, the teams the mon is being used on, and many other factors. To pick on my fave CAP, chromera had a 5.22% usage rate and a 68% winrate in the winter seasonal, but a zero% winrate in CAP PL. Did it get significantly worse between the two tournaments? (a bit, due to raja being out) Not significantly worse enough to justify a near 70% drop in winrate. Instead it wasn't being used on a "strong" run through the playtest. Was Tornadus-Therian "bad" in the winter seasonal due to having a 45% winrate, despite having a 20% usage rate? almost definitely not, it just either got bad luck, or bad matchups. Furthermore, winrate is often depressed for mons that are on sample teams used by players unfamiliar with the tier.

Winrate is heavily dependent upon the context of the mon, the players using the mon, and what teams it is on. Usage rate is instead, while influenced by samples, more dependent upon how the community viewing the mon's strength, especially given the limited sample size in CAP.

Beyond that, a mon can still contribute heavily to a team, and be nerf-worthy despite losing a game. I cited Atha vs Snaga in my "pls nerf venomp" post in the metagame discussion thread, and Venom-P, despite arguably carrying its side of the team, still lost the game.

Wulfanator

Why is the Chromera sprite and Venonomicon sprites missing from the smogon website?
I assume you are asking about this site? https://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/

I don't believe anyone has access to it which is why it hasn't been updated since Kerfluffle's project. At this point, you can find all the information that would've been there between the strategy dex and the showdown pokedex.

I don't believe anyone has access to it which is why it hasn't been updated since Kerfluffle's project. At this point, you can find all the information that would've been there between the strategy dex and the showdown pokedex.
That's the old layout damn, shit hasn't been updated in years

Glitchwood High

formerly Err0r Mobutt

No one has access to it? That's odd, how'd that happen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)