Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Reading through some stuff on older CAPs, there are custom abilities and such in play - but there seems to be a pretty clear ruling against custom stuff in CAPs these days (excluding stuff like Venomicon's item but that's pretty different). Is there a reason for this? I imagine making custom stuff would probably seem as a cheap way to do something, but it seems unusual to rule against the concept altogether. Is this just a general attitude shift or was there a particular problem point in one of the CAPs/the process of a CAP that lead to this?

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Reading through some stuff on older CAPs, there are custom abilities and such in play - but there seems to be a pretty clear ruling against custom stuff in CAPs these days (excluding stuff like Venomicon's item but that's pretty different). Is there a reason for this? I imagine making custom stuff would probably seem as a cheap way to do something, but it seems unusual to rule against the concept altogether. Is this just a general attitude shift or was there a particular problem point in one of the CAPs/the process of a CAP that lead to this?
In the past, CAP relied on some custom elements to fulfill a mon's concept/purpose in its metagame. At the onset of Gen 5, CAP leadership determined custom elements to no longer be necessary due to the influx of new tools at our disposal. Custom elements were then viewed as, essentially, the easy way out of solving a CAP's creation, and it was determined that using what was already in the game was better from a creativity/problemsolving standpoint but also it reduced the entry barrier to CAP, as custom elements have to be learned by players trying to get into the tier on top of what each CAP does.

What happened to Colosshale? I know that it was previously the prevo of Colossoil, and then it was introduced as a name for Dorsoil. But why was the old Dorsoil (Colosshale) design scrapped? I wonder this, because it is different from Monohm, Duohm, Protowatt and Nohface, although the latter did change a bit; all of them kept their design and name except Colosshale. I would like to know why they decanonized it. Thank you
1656351653939.png

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What happened to Colosshale? I know that it was previously the prevo of Colossoil, and then it was introduced as a name for Dorsoil. But why was the old Dorsoil (Colosshale) design scrapped? I wonder this, because it is different from Monohm, Duohm, Protowatt and Nohface, although the latter did change a bit; all of them kept their design and name except Colosshale. I would like to know why they decanonized it. Thank you
View attachment 433086
to add a little bit more to the previous post, colosshale wasn't considered "official" along with other gen 4 prevos as they did not have a proper poll to decide one. now that cap has moved towards a voting system to decide elements for a cap, the old gen 4 ones have been put through votes on what parts should be considered official, (such as keeping the name, design, or both).

for colosshale, it was decided that both the design and name were to be changed, and thus dorsoil was born.

as for why that option came out on top, it was a common sentiment that colosshale's design didn't fit as a prevo, among the cap discord server

Why was Equilibra nerfed so hard between generations? It lost an amazing ability in Bulletproof to gain a useless one (Stalwart). Its SpA was also gutted.
Equilibra lost Bulletproof because having two immunity abilities created unhealthy mind games, until you figure out which ability it has it effectively has both abilities at the same time because you don't want to risk trying to hit it with an attack that it might be immune to and lose momentum. Its Sp. Attack was gutted because it was just very hard to switch into, and even those that could were threatened by Pokemon like Hydreigon and Single Strike Urshifu. The reduced 12 points prevent it from being able to instakill Aegislash and Krilowatt, makes Ferrothorn and Mandibuzz a little harder, and more. This all happened during the Isle of Armor metagame though, where the power level was lower, and if it were to get Bulletproof back it'd probably be fine, potentially even beneficial as answers to Dragapult are always a good thing.

I'm not super knowledgeable on Gen 7 CAP but basically Equilibra lost Toxic because it screwed with its checks and counters, and Whirlwind/Dragon Tail allowed it to phaze them out and were generally unhealthy.

dex

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Equilibra lost Bulletproof because having two immunity abilities created unhealthy mind games, until you figure out which ability it has it effectively has both abilities at the same time because you don't want to risk trying to hit it with an attack that it might be immune to and lose momentum. Its Sp. Attack was gutted because it was just very hard to switch into, and even those that could were threatened by Pokemon like Hydreigon and Single Strike Urshifu. The reduced 12 points prevent it from being able to instakill Aegislash and Krilowatt, makes Ferrothorn and Mandibuzz a little harder, and more. This all happened during the Isle of Armor metagame though, where the power level was lower, and if it were to get Bulletproof back it'd probably be fine, potentially even beneficial as answers to Dragapult are always a good thing.

I'm not super knowledgeable on Gen 7 CAP but basically Equilibra lost Toxic because it screwed with its checks and counters, and Whirlwind/Dragon Tail allowed it to phaze them out and were generally unhealthy.
To add on to this about Toxic; generally, when a mon can force out Steel- and Poison-types, Toxic is an incredibly strong move. For example, Heatran is one of the best users of the move ever due to its ability to demolish Steels and Poisons. Equilibra beat pretty much all Steel- and Poison-types bar Z Fighting Magearna, making Toxic a uniquely powerful move on it, especially when paired with the bulkier teams that were popular in SM.

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
To add on to this about Toxic; generally, when a mon can force out Steel- and Poison-types, Toxic is an incredibly strong move. For example, Heatran is one of the best users of the move ever due to its ability to demolish Steels and Poisons. Equilibra beat pretty much all Steel- and Poison-types bar Z Fighting Magearna, making Toxic a uniquely powerful move on it, especially when paired with the bulkier teams that were popular in SM.
Equilibra CAN beat Z-fighting Magearna, and when it had pre-nerf SpA it was even easier to EV for lmao

so yeah, it was either Toxic and phazing leaving or absolutely gutting Libra.

dex

Why is Miasmaw unviable in Gen 8 even after getting the nice buffs it got last year? iirc it got an increase in Speed and some Poison-type moves
Miasmaw was created in a metagame that had some notable missing defensive mons in it. Most notable among them are Clefable and Tapu Fini. Those mons came back into the meta and, despite Miasmaw gaining access to Poison Jab, they make it very difficult for it to do what it wants: spam First Impression and Dragon Hammer. Furthermore, its STAB typing, physical frailty, weakness to Scald burns, and Stealth Rock weakness all add up to a mon that is difficult to get in and even more difficult to gain value from.

Not sure why these official sites haven’t been updated, but if you’re just looking for information, the CAP tvtropes site is actually perfectly up to date
and mostly accurate as far as I can tell.
I know that, I'm one of the editors there myself. Was considering moving some of the links there from the CAP site to the the Final Product pages, hence my question to be sure.

couldn't Rebble, Tactite and Stratagem be from the Mineral Egg group?
It probably has something to do with the Stratagem line being born out of asteroids, effectively making them aliens, and therefore not having identifiable genders. Then again, Elgyem and Beheeyem have genders, so the Mineral egg group would probably make more sense, though I think arguments can be made for both sides.

dex

Oh ok well the level-up movepools would be based on the pre-evo
Each submitter submits a package of both the pool for the prevo and the pool of Saharaja. They are voted on as packages, so there is no reliance on the prevo pool except when crafting your own submission. I'd check out CAP 28's (Miasmaw and Miasmite) movepool submissions for more info on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)