Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer

how does a flash fire vulpix introduce luck to the game? and looking at it now, I think I know the real reason, but I don't understand your guys stand on keeping my favorite pokemon away from me, but I will say that looking at it, there are 3 LC contenders with Moody, 1 with drought, I GUESS it's easier to ban the 1 pokemon then the ability, but even then you could argue that by just banning the ability it covers your bases if ANOTHER pokemon down the road got the ability, despite how unlikely that is.

Edit: OH I GOT IT! Banning Moody is logical because of what I will be calling the Magikarp effect, If you took magikarp and gave him moody, He'd become over powered, and it's 100% the ability at the cause here, by that same factor, If you gave Magikarp Drought (go along with me here, I know he'd more likely have Drizzle) you would likely want to ban him for the same reason, It's 100% the Abilities fault for the ban, Put either ability in the hands of any pokemon, and you have a pokemon that's over powered.

Now in the case of Carvanha, who is most likely banned due to his Speed boost ability, giving Magikarp, or any other normally useless pokemon, and he's not suddenly over powered, because the ability isn't 100% the reason for the ban, see my point?

And besides ability not even easily obtained by vulpix in the first place.

Last Edit: I think this should be moved out of this thread before it gets any bigger and more bitter, I know this isn't what this thread is for, and I really don't want to step on any ones toes, and for the record, I'm sorry if I angered anyone, It was not my intent =(

If consistency is what's bothering you we can always ask for Bidoof to be banned, it's not as if people were using it a lot...

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This isn't a thread to discuss tiering policy; it's the SQSA thread ... if you want to know why a policy is in place, you're free to contact Ray Jay, Elevator Music, Vader, or I on #littlecup on IRC.

Rephrased the question.
Much better. Still kind of subjective but I'll answer it anyway.

It's definitely an interesting set. It can do a very good job of setting up for a revenge kill provided it outspeeds the other pokemon. With a Sash you're always guaranteed to get both rocks and Memento off assuming you can keep their rocks off the field. The most effective way to do this is to just lead with it, but many of the other common leads in the metagame will either beat you outright and be immune to Memento that way (Mienfoo, Abra), or not be worth using Memento on (Bronzor, Hippowdon). I guess overall it's about as useful as any Memento user, which is to say that it's usually not the best option for a team.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Question: Now that the combination is legal, is Diglett with both Stealth Rocks/Memento effective?
Yes. Depending on the other team, Diglett may only be able to act as an early game Pokemon or a late game Pokemon due to its squishiness, and it will very rarely be able to do both. If you just take Stealth Rock, Diglett loses essentially all of its utility once it's set up Stealth Rock (or been Taunted by like Misdreavus) and trapped like one thing. If you take just Memento, Diglett becomes only viable extremely late in the game, as it will not be able to take anything out early game as it's not "that" strong and it won't have SR to set up. If you take both, you can run like a Focus Sash and set up SR early and Memento late in the game.

Of course, if they run Staryu you just get wrecked either way

If your using the move Revenge/Avalanche, does the power increase if you take damage from something like sandstorm/hail/status?

EDIT: DERPDA HERPDA after turns affects would happen after the move. i'm stupid :P

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If your using the move Revenge/Avalanche, does the power increase if you take damage from something like sandstorm/hail/status?
No - Revenge and Avalanche only double in power if you have been directly attacked.

Don't know if this goes here but seeing as I mostly read this forum and nothing else and this has to do with LC, I put it here:

Is there a way to implement move legality in PS?

I'm tired of seeing Analytic Porygon, Shadow Punch Golett, Speed Boost Torchic and so on; even though I try to explain why are they illegal and some of them at least say "sorry", most of the players use illegal abilities and/or moves. Those are threars most teams are unprepared for (at least, my teams :D). Imagine switching Misdreavus into Golett and face a Shadow Punch right on the cutie's face.

EDIT: See? I've just faced Brave Bird Rufflet...

Why is it that Cloud Nine Psyduck/Swablu aren't as common as they should be?

Other than the Meinfoo, Murkrow, Scraggy sets I see, it is either a sand rush team or a hail team. Even if they are just pivot or utility mons, I haven't seen any for a good while.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Because of Snover. 99% of the Snover that you see on the ladder are there to beat sand teams, and the other 1% are people trying to make a mediocre Hail team. Snover basically takes the place of the Cloud Nine users since not only are they inferior to Snover, but Snover counters Sand sweepers just by existing, even if it is not currently out, since it changes the weather entirely instead of just suppressing it.

Ok, makes sense. (new to the metagame) Another quick question. Who is in charge of the ban list for LC? I went to look what was and wasn't allowed ability wise, and the thread is down. Found a list of the rules I believe everyone follows, but I don't know if anything has been added or dropped from Black White 2 being released. Edit: In the banlist section, there is a link to get the rules for Little Cup. The link goes to a page that says to inform the administrator. I don't know who that is. Finally found Ray Jay's guide, but had to look for the banned mons elsewhere. Who is in charge of that link so they can be informed that it doesn't lead to a page?

Generally the experienced players of the teir make the rules, which have been stable enough that the lc council was disbanded

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The council has not been disbanded. It currently is inactive on issues of balance, as the current metagame is relatively balanced. If a threat appeared, the council would still vote on such a Pokemon.

Therefore, to answer the question, the LC Council makes tiering decisions for Little Cup.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No, afaik they are still illegal due to them coming at level 10 and being male-only, therefore being unable to pass the ability down.

Delver

I got the runs like Jagger
Is Lv 5 DW Abilities for starters (Chlorophyll Bulbasaur) allowed in the PS ladder? Because I just battled one.
PS! is a little f'd up atm. things like your DW starters and shadow punch golett are technichally legal because PS! has a hard time with those kinds of bans illegalities. At least this is what i was told when i asked on the sim.

To answer your question more directly: like ISS said, they're still illegal due to the inability to get one in game. You'll see them on the ladder for reasons i just said.

Are Sand Veil and Snow Cloak banned from Little Cup? I know Little Cup tiering isn't dependent at all on the other tiers and it isn't on the list of banned things for the tier, but I wanted confirmation either way and the description of Sand Veil on site seemed to imply it was.

Edit: Thank you Elevator Music.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)