Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer (Mark 1)

riolu does get aura sphere, hidden power and vaccum wave but coverage is extremely limited. 36 evs on each defense, 196 speed and 236 special atack is the best you get with timid riolu.
riolu only gets aura sphere at lv. 30 though, so it's illegal for LC (unless i'm wrong. the almia riolu is the only one i know of)

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to quote Wild Eep, Aura Sphere won't work

eep said:
All of Riolu's L100 illegal combinations involve Aura Sphere. Since the relevant event Riolu is over level 5, Riolu can't have Aura Sphere at all in Little Cup, drastically simplifying the list.

Well, there IS Focus Blast. Not that 70% accuracy is great, but on a gravity team it might work. Honestly though, the only other special type moves riolu can get are Hidden Power and Vacuum Wave. It isn't really a special sweep (as if you guys didn't know that already)

Bulbasaur might work though. I can think of a cool set:

Bulbasaur@ Oran Berry/Life Orb/Peyata Berry - Modest

Substitute
Energy Ball/ Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power [FIRE]/ Hidden Power [ICE]

this would be a pretty cool special sweeper. Substitute blocks status, and if you run Peyate Berry you can use it to activate it. Sludge Bomb is for you main STAB. Leaf Storm would be a lot more powerful, but you shouldn't run it alongside Peyate. Hidden power type varies depending on your team.

There's not really much status in LC, although I guess if you're fighting EoStall or something then it could be worth it. Substitute is fun for going into Overgrow though :) The other problem is it's kind of slow and not really that powerful. Things like Carvanha can use that turn with Substitute to a much greater extent then Bulbasaur can. I guess if you really need the grass type or you're too lazy to change pokemon on shoddy then bulba will do.

There's not really much status in LC, although I guess if you're fighting EoStall or something then it could be worth it. Substitute is fun for going into Overgrow though :) The other problem is it's kind of slow and not really that powerful. Things like Carvanha can use that turn with Substitute to a much greater extent then Bulbasaur can. I guess if you really need the grass type or you're too lazy to change pokemon on shoddy then bulba will do.
Haha, I forgot, lol. Bulbasaur isn't good, I was just saying it because someone (Maria?) was talking about it.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd just like to say, Sub + boosting Berry isn't very viable in a metagame where close to everybody and their mother run ample amounts of priority.

Well, there IS Focus Blast. Not that 70% accuracy is great, but on a gravity team it might work. Honestly though, the only other special type moves riolu can get are Hidden Power and Vacuum Wave. It isn't really a special sweep (as if you guys didn't know that already)

Bulbasaur might work though. I can think of a cool set:

Bulbasaur@ Oran Berry/Life Orb/Peyata Berry - Modest

Substitute
Energy Ball/ Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power [FIRE]/ Hidden Power [ICE]

this would be a pretty cool special sweeper. Substitute blocks status, and if you run Peyate Berry you can use it to activate it. Sludge Bomb is for you main STAB. Leaf Storm would be a lot more powerful, but you shouldn't run it alongside Peyate. Hidden power type varies depending on your team.
First of all....
I'd just like to say, Sub + boosting Berry isn't very viable in a metagame where close to everybody and their mother run ample amounts of priority.
This.

Secondly, Bulbasaur has Sleep Powder. :0 Why wouldn't you be running that? It's like, one of the main reasons you'd want to use him. Kind of strange that that's not on the set anywhere.... replace Sub with Sleep Powder and Bulbasaur begins to look alright.

How would you guys advice me to EV my Nidoran couple? They're both hasty.. I figured I could possibly use them as mixed attackers with such a move pool! I know they're not the best and all, but they're so cute! ^^ 31 all IV's on both..

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
How would you guys advice me to EV my Nidoran couple? They're both hasty.. I figured I could possibly use them as mixed attackers with such a move pool! I know they're not the best and all, but they're so cute! ^^ 31 all IV's on both..
Nidoran-M, from my experience, is best used as a Choice Scarf user. I would recommend to following spread and moveset:
- 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
- Poison Jab / Ice Beam / Sucker Punch / Thunderbolt

The spread allows you to reach 22 Speed with Choice Scarf, and in turn outspeed 14 Speed Scarfers who only reach 21 Speed. Poison Jab are the Nido's strongest physical STAB. Ice Beam is for Ground-types and Gligar and Sucker Punch for priority. The last moveslot is filler, I put in Thunderbolt for Mantyke and Kabuto, but you can use whatever you want. You can also use Life Orb on this set, since Sucker Punch somewhat helps with Speed.

Nidoran-F would probably function better as a tank, especially considering defensive Poison-types are pretty good in the current metagame. (Grimer, Koffing, etc.) But since it is Hasty, a Mixed Attacker is probably your best option. Here's what I recommend:
- 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 188 Spe
- Poison Jab / Shadow Claw / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Very similar to Nidoran-m. The only difference is I'm unsure if Nidoran-f gets Sucker Punch, so Shadow Claw is an option over that to hit Ghosts. Also, Nidoran-f only hits 21 Speed with Choice Scarf :[ If you bred Crunch onto Nidoran-f, use that over Shadow Claw.

Hope I helped.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wynaut receives Tickle by way of a PokePark event from Gen III. He was received as an egg, so Wynaut is not restricted in using it because of the Pomeg glitch.

Just wondering, I was looking at Zigzagoon's Analysis for Belly Drum Sweeper. How do you get an E-speed belly Drum Zigzagoon? Isn't E-speed only from Pokemon Box and non-breedable?

Wynaut receives Tickle by way of a PokePark event from Gen III. He was received as an egg, so Wynaut is not restricted in using it because of the Pomeg glitch.
ah, well i am planning to breed a wynaut in DPPtHGSS. i'll just go with charm i suppose instead. cheers.

Just wondering, I was looking at Zigzagoon's Analysis for Belly Drum Sweeper. How do you get an E-speed belly Drum Zigzagoon? Isn't E-speed only from Pokemon Box and non-breedable?
But the egg hatches at level 5, so if you use the pomeg glitch, it will hatched all ev trained at level five. However, this means it can only have pickup, so e-speed + belly drum + gluttony is illegal on zigzagoon.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MegaKick is right about the move-legality on Zigzagoon, but it should be noted that EVs gained through use of the Pomeg glitch are lost when the egg hatches.

The effect remains the same on the simulator because of the Box Trick, but if you are planning on using the Pomeg glitch for WiFi play you need to remember to EV after hatching the egg.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@Ice Eyes: Yes, it is possible to fully EV train any Pokemon with any spread before it levels up from 5 to 6. It's close, but a year ago or so I went through and checked the worst case scenario. Not sure if it is possible without trading to gen 4 for power items.

@Youngster Joey: Each of them is particularly powerful it it's own way, Yanma for example has speed boost and hypnosis combined with good all round stats. Tangela is extremely hard to beat under the sun thanks to high special attack and solid defenses. Missy has several highly effective movesets, each of which threatens to sweep your team and requires different counters.

I don't understand the ban-list at all. What makes Misdrevous, Yanma, and Tangela warrent a ban from the Little Cup?
If you'd like a more detailed explanation on other banned ones too there's a good one on the previous page if I recall correctly.

Just out of curiosity, when did Little Cup start to be a metagame? I cannot remember...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)