SM OU Ash-Gren/Kyurem-Black Balance (Peak 1734)

Hello everyone, this is my second team based on Ash-Gren and Kyurem Black, hope i did better than the first time

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Water Shuriken

The mon the team is built around, he is a wonderful cleaner, even if struggles against faster cleaners such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Alakazam(especially in tandem with Tapu Lele). An amazing offensive spikes setter that can wear down it's own counters like tangrowth, tapu bulu and toxapex with spikes , even if I have some problem dealing with pex(who doesn't?), he can pressure offensive mons that my team would otherwise struggle against , even if i do it more on the first turn, when i expect the opponent to start with Mega-Medicham or Blacephalon, for example , puts a lot of pressure against trick rooms via Spikes and Water Shuriken.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Earth Power

The Wallbreaker I wanter to pair with Ninja, they share some counter (like AV Magearna, Rotom-Wash Ferrothorn,Tapu Fini) which Kyurem can damage to put in range of Dark Pulse/Surf from Ash-Gren, he can come in weak physical moves, helping my defensive core, come in directly against some Ninja countes (Such as Tangrowth and a predicted grass move from Tapu Bulu) nice counter offensive check to Gyarados and his Mega form.
The main goal of Kyurem is Wallbreaker early on the game, some teams really struggle with him, as they don't have any mon that can counter Kyurem, even being Balanced-Bulky Offensive teams, so he can really punch holes if the team opponent is not prepared for him
On the other hand, he really struggles breaking through stall: Toxapex can stomach his super-effective coverage moves and forces him out with toxic, or can set toxic spikes... moreover he is weak to all entry hazards, this i annoying since i need to Defog, not so good in a team that wants spikes to be on the field.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def/ 220 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Now Ash-Gren and Kyurem Black share a Fairy type weakness, moreover my team struggle against Mega-Zam in the late game, so the firt Pokèmon that came to my mind was AV Magearna, it's main goal is to switch on moves that can cover all day and gain momentum via volt switch, seems to be a good partner especially for Kyurem-Black and can take even some strong Physical hits if absolutely mandatory.
The set is a bit different from smogon's one: I dont care about speed since i want him to be slow so safely bring other members in, so i put the Spe Evs on Def: ice beam is to suprise earth mons like Landorus-T , Garchomp and Gliscor that try to stop VoltTurn, Magearna can even OHKO them with ice beam, taking an earthquake most of the times at full healt, if I really need that mon to be KO or when I predict a defog from Lando and Gliscor because to many hazard are on the opponent side.
Last thing, he is a strong defensive Steel mon that doesn't get trapped by Magnezone

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn

I'm not so good building defensive cores, so I just went on SM OU good cores to look what could pair better with magearna on the defensive side.
Defog over Hidden Power Ice since Kyurem and Pinsir need them to be out, Full Def Evs to be as fat as possible, even if i think I'm going to try something else; Rocky Helmet work pretty well in tandem with Priority moves from Ash-Gren and Mega-Pinsir and good overall Item to put opponent's mons in range of moves from my team.
especially mons i struggle to deal with such as Mega-Lopunny, Mega Swampert and othe strong Physical attackers. can freely gain momentum with U-Turn and forms a Hazard stack with Ash-Gren.
We all know him , the only ''downside'' is that he has so much utility that u don't know what to do XD, and he seems to fit well on my team too.
Since this mon can do a lot of different things. other Evs spread are strongly welcome!.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Natures Madness
- Scald
- Taunt

Tapu fini forms a nice core with Landorus, it ca come in lots of moves and defog if I need, goos switch in for Heatran, and form a nice core with magearna too, since i can often decide wich of them switching on mons like Latios, Latias, Keldeo and some others, so i can decide wich of the two has to stay healty untile the late-game.
Works well with Kyurem-Black, since it appreciates the misty terrain and the Stealth Rocks removed.
Natures madness over moonblast to deal a bit with stall, but some mons(Like toxapex, again) can just pp stall it via regenerator, but it's still good in combo with taunt to deal with mons like Chansey and AV Magearna, and for teams without Regenerator use, it can be pretty boring to switch in Natures madness.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

I'm not sure if this mon fits well on this team: i wanted another hard hitting mon , something that could come in grass pokemons that Ash-Gren invites in, and my idea was using two priority user instead of one scarfes, since in this last slot I really needed something that hits hard and i don't think scarfers can do the same.
Now. when he sweeps he sweeps. period, but i wouldn't say he finds too many set up, maybe this is about my battling skills and not the pokemon himself, idk... unfortunately he hard walled by zapdos. that , when paired with Pex( again!) or a good switch in for kyurem, becomes really annoying for my team to deal with Zapdos
Not amazing but not too bad sinergy with tapu fini, since he can come in some grass mons and set up before going mega with the aid of Misty Terrain-Taunt, and can revenge kill with OHKO Zard Y, that would otherwise destroy my team.

I've playes this team for 4-5 days and the only mon that just gives me 6-0 is Clorophilly Venusar. another problematic one is tapu koko, since he often carries HP Ice for Lando and Magearna is here to check other stuff, he doesn't sweep up my team of course!
Toxapex is really a pain to deal with, unless i can safely SD with mega pinsir and do some serius damage to him if he is supposed to check MPinsir; in general, i wouldn't say my matchup against stall is amazing, neither the matchup against HO (but ,maybe because I'm not comfortably with playing against that archatype, rather than the team composition) especially hawluca teams. DDDragonite is very dangerous too, since my priorities and land can't damage him and only needs one turn to sweep my team in the late-game

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)