- Taunt

New Moves:

Armor Cannon
Type: Fire
Category: Special
BP: 120
PP: 5
Accuracy: 100%
Description: Lowers the user's Defense and Special Defense by one stage.

Pros:
- 125 SpA is very solid, letting it serve as a decently powerful wallbreaker and revenge killer.
- Great movepool with tons of relevant coverage options such as Focus Blast, Energy Ball, and Shadow Ball.
- Amazing signature move with extreme power, at the cost of lowering its defenses
- Flash Fire is a nice ability, giving it an immunity that also powers up its Fire type moves.
- 85/100 Physical Bulk is nothing special but can let it take a hit or two.
Cons:
- Very awkward speed tier, making it slow to the point where most offensive Pokemon can revenge kill it easily, but also too fast to use Trick Room.
- Fire/Psychic is not a good defensive typing and gives it loads of common weaknesses such as Ground, Water, and Dark.
- Special bulk is quite mediocre at only 85/80, making it vulnerable to special attackers.
- Vulnerable to both status and entry hazards.
- Receives high competition from other offensive Fire types such as Chi-Yu and Iron Moth, as they are stronger, much faster, and have less disadvantageous typings.

Terastal Potential:
- Armarouge already has all the coverage it needs, so it doesn’t need to use Tera Blast. It can go for a Tera Fire or Psychic to further boost the power of its STAB moves, as well as making it less vulnerable to certain types and hazards.
- Alternatively, it can go for Tera Fighting to get rid of all its initial weaknesses and give its Fighting type moves more power

Potential Sets:

Choice Specs
Armarouge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Fire / Psychic / Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Armor Cannon
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Energy Ball / Focus Blast / Aura Sphere
- Trick / Shadow Ball

One of Armarouge's primary roles is to serve as a wallbreaker. Armor Cannon is its most powerful move but shouldn't be spammed too much due to dropping Armarouge's defenses, and it doesn't have the bulk or speed to use it often. Psychic is slightly more powerful than Psyshock, but Psyshock can get past problematic special walls such as Blissey and Clodsire. Energy Ball is the preferred coverage move if running Trick, as it counters Water, Rock, and Ground types that attempt to take it out, and is more reliable than Focus Blast, yet stronger than Aura Sphere. However, if Shadow Ball is run instead of Trick, it should be used with either Focus Blast or Aura Sphere, as the combined coverage moves make it impossible for a Pokemon to resist any of its moves.

Choice Scarf
Armarouge @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Armor Cannon
- Focus Blast/Aura Sphere
- Trick
- Psyshock

Armarouge can also serve as a revenge killer by patching up its poor speed with a Choice Scarf. The details are basically the same as before, with Armor Cannon being its most powerful move, while Psyshock targets special walls as the STAB Psychic move of choice. Aura Sphere is more accurate, but Focus Blast is much more powerful. Finally, Trick is used to cripple any walls that switch in on this set.

Other Options:
- A Calm Mind set may seem promising to patch up its middling special bulk and make it even stronger, but its very easily countered due it still being too slow and having common weaknesses.

Overall Thoughts:
Armarouge is a very neat Pokemon with a slick design and a nice Special Attack with some good coverage options, but it has no chance in OU. Its typing combined with an awkward speed tier and average bulk makes it easily revenge killed, and there's much better offensive Pokémon out there. However, I could definitely it having usage in lower tiers, as it's still decently powerful. It just suffers too much from competition in the current metagame.

Last edited:
View attachment 468014
Armarouge

Type:
Fire / Psychic

Base Stats: 85 HP / 60 Atk / 100 Def / 125 SpA / 80 SpD / 75 Spe

Abilities: Flash Fire / Weak Armor

Notable Moves:
- Armor Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Energy Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Tera Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Trick
- Taunt

New Moves:

Armor Cannon

Pros:
- 125 SpA is very solid, letting it serve as a decently powerful wallbreaker.
- Great movepool with tons of relevant coverage options such as Focus Blast, Energy Ball, and Shadow Ball.
- Amazing signature move with extreme power, at the cost of lowering its defenses
- Flash Fire is a nice ability, giving it an immunity that also powers up its Fire type moves.
Cons:
- Very awkward speed tier, making it slow to the point where most offensive Pokemon can revenge kill it easily, but also too fast to use Trick Room.
- Fire/Psychic is not a good defensive typing and gives it loads of common weaknesses such as Ground, Water, and Dark.
- Special bulk is quite mediocre at only 85/80, making it vulnerable to special attackers.
- Receives high competition from other Fire type wallbreakers such as Chi-Yu and Iron Moth, as they are stronger, much faster, and have less disadvantageous typings.

Terastal Potential:
- Armarouge already has all the coverage it needs, so it should go for a Tera Fire or Psychic to further boost the power of its STAB moves, as well as making it less vulnerable to certain types and hazards.

Potential Sets
Choice Specs
Armarouge @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Fire / Psychic
Modest / Timid Nature
- Armor Cannon
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Trick / Shadow Ball

Armarouge's primarily role is to serve as a wallbreaker. Armor Cannon is its most powerful move but shouldn't be spammed too much due to dropping Armarouge's defenses, and it doesn't have the bulk or speed to use it often. Psychic is slightly more powerful than Psyshock, but Psyshock can get past problematic special walls such as Blissey and Clodsire. Energy Ball is the preferred coverage move if running Trick, as it counters Water, Rock, and Ground types that attempt to take it out, and is more reliable than Focus Blast, yet stronger than Aura Sphere. However, if Shadow Ball is run instead of Trick, it should be used with either Focus Blast or Aura Sphere, as the combined coverage moves make it impossible for a Pokemon to resist any of its moves.

Other Options:
- A Calm Mind set may seem promising to patch up its middling special bulk and make it even stronger, but its very easily countered due it still being too slow and having common weaknesses.

Overall Thoughts:
Armarouge is a very neat Pokemon with a slick design and a nice Special Attack with some good coverage options, but it has no chance in OU. Its typing combined with an awkward speed tier and average bulk makes it easily revenge killed, and there's much better wallbreakers out there. However, I could definitely it having usage in lower tiers, as it's still decently powerful. It just suffers too much from competition in the current metagame.
I'd argue that Scarf set is far better than specs set. Without scarf you're not getting off more than a single hit with such low bulk and a bad speed tier.

A good example set could be

Nukewar (Armarouge) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Armor Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Trick
- Psyshock

This set easily outspeeds chien pao or roaring moon for revenge kills, as well as beating max speed cyclizar

I'd argue that Scarf set is far better than specs set. Without scarf you're not getting off more than a single hit with such low bulk and a bad speed tier.

A good example set could be

Nukewar (Armarouge) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Armor Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Trick
- Psyshock

This set easily outspeeds chien pao or roaring moon for revenge kills, as well as beating max speed cyclizar
Yeah, I thought about it, but I think even with a Choice Scarf, Armarouge is easily revenge killed by things like Sucker Punch, and its best to be used to take down slow walls rather than revenge kill/sweep. I would rather just increase the power level.

Yeah, I thought about it, but I think even with a Choice Scarf, Armarouge is easily revenge killed by things like Sucker Punch, and its best to be used to take down slow walls rather than revenge kill/sweep. I would rather just increase the power level.
Fair, but revenge killers don't usually need to worry about sucker punch, you'd just switch out after the kill into a pivot or a wall if they send a priority user.

Personally have found some success with armorouge + torkoal or armoruge+ rotom, since all the priority users this gen are physical

Fair, but revenge killers don't usually need to worry about sucker punch, you'd just switch out after the kill into a pivot or a wall if they send a priority user.

Personally have found some success with armorouge + torkoal or armoruge+ rotom, since all the priority users this gen are physical
I'll just add both sets, thank you. Same set as yours?

honestly ive been having decent success in mid ladder(1300-1500) with av armarouge. ive been using:

Armarouge @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Energy Ball

i know it learns armor down and focus blast but i prefer the burn chance of lava plume with scald gone (as well as no defense drops) and accuracy of aura sphere, tera fighting lets you soak some surprising stuff. speed evs are to outspeed standard rotom-w which we easily 2hko with energy ball. i dont think its a staple ou mon but its certainly viable, and when paired with mons such as scizor(really good) or meowscarada can really lure in some stuff, potentially nuke it with coverage, then switch into a check with no fear of pursuit. there is also a world where you tera grass for stab energy balls and turning your water and ground weaknesses into resists.

honestly ive been having decent success in mid ladder(1300-1500) with av armarouge. ive been using:

Armarouge @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Energy Ball

i know it learns armor down and focus blast but i prefer the burn chance of lava plume with scald gone (as well as no defense drops) and accuracy of aura sphere, tera fighting lets you soak some surprising stuff. speed evs are to outspeed standard rotom-w which we easily 2hko with energy ball. i dont think its a staple ou mon but its certainly viable, and when paired with mons such as scizor(really good) or meowscarada can really lure in some stuff, potentially nuke it with coverage, then switch into a check with no fear of pursuit. there is also a world where you tera grass for stab energy balls and turning your water and ground weaknesses into resists.
Never thought of an Assault Vest set. I just kinda brushed off all defensive sets due to the lack of support and recovery moves as well as the poor typing. This seems pretty niche though. Won't consider adding it unless it becomes a common staple.

This is one of the few mons that isn't a natural fighting type that I have found Tera Type fighting to be amazing with. Fighting covers it's Rock and Dark weaknesses nicely. I have been using the standard 252/252 spread with expert belt and Weak Armor so essentially I can set up speed boosts on Knock off/Sucker Punch users, as well as U-turn pivots.
Armor Cannon, Psychic, and Aura Sphere are he main attacking moves on the set, and I have been running Dark Pulse. The reason I'm running Dark pulse over other moves is because while, like shadow ball, it can hit psychic types that are stronger against it's Tera type, I have found the flinch Chance + Weak Armor is just too tempting to pass up and can change games.

This is one of the few mons that isn't a natural fighting type that I have found Tera Type fighting to be amazing with. Fighting covers it's Rock and Dark weaknesses nicely. I have been using the standard 252/252 spread with expert belt and Weak Armor so essentially I can set up speed boosts on Knock off/Sucker Punch users, as well as U-turn pivots.
Armor Cannon, Psychic, and Aura Sphere are he main attacking moves on the set, and I have been running Dark Pulse. The reason I'm running Dark pulse over other moves is because while, like shadow ball, it can hit psychic types that are stronger against it's Tera type, I have found the flinch Chance + Weak Armor is just too tempting to pass up and can change games.
Hmm, I’ll add Tera Fighting to the set.

I have been using this thing in the Sun with Choice Specs. It gets weak armor and a typing that lets it come on resisted hits easily + decent enough bulk.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Armarouge Armor Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Toxapex in Sun: 91-108 (57.9 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you come in on a weaker or resisted hit (can even come in on aqua jets since sun essentially nullify that weakness) and proceed to throw those huge armor cannon which noone is immune to while being nigh impossible to beat in speed. You can also tera fire for even more ridiculousness, or tera to something like dark or grass to switch those weaknesses around and beat priorities.

I use destiny bond in the last slot for some surprise KO.

Tell me if my build is bad but I run;

Heat Rock, Flash Fire(Because I need bulk more than speed.), Modest, 252 in SpAtk and Def with the last few in SpDef. [Tera Type: Fire]

Flamethrower(Because Armor Canon hurts our bulk. Should I use Fire Blast instead?)
Solar Beam
Sunny Day(To boost fire damage and remove the warm up turn of solar beam.)
Calm Mind

I set up Sunny Day first turn. Solar Beam covers our Ground, Rock and Water weaknesses. neither Ghost nor Dark resist fire so I terastallize fire and hit Flamethrower. I use calm mind when I think its safe to give myself a boost.

I dont know all the math but I figure I can lean on a fire type move like flamethrower for most things when it gets boosts from STAB, Sunny Day and Terastallizing. Let me know any improvements I can make to this or if its just trash.

Last edited:
Tell me if my build is bad but I run;

Heat Rock, Flash Fire(Because I need bulk more than speed.), Modest, 252 in SpAtk and Def with the last few in SpDef. [Tera Type: Fire]

Flamethrower(Because Armor Canon hurts our bulk. Should I use Fire Blast instead?)
Solar Beam
Sunny Day(To boost fire damage and remove the warm up turn of solar beam.)
Calm Mind

I set up Sunny Day first turn. Solar Beam covers our Ground, Rock and Water weaknesses. neither Ghost nor Dark resist fire so I terastallize fire and hit Flamethrower. I use calm mind when I think its safe to give myself a boost.

I dont know all the math but I figure I can lean on a fire type move like flamethrower for most things when it gets boosts from STAB, Sunny Day and Terastallizing. Let me know any improvements I can make to this or if its just trash.
Manual Sunny day doesn't benefit this thing at all, because it's slow. Calm Mind can work, but with Sunny day you will rarely get a decent attack off. Swap out Sunny day for a coverage move and Solar Beam for energy ball.

Am I wrong in assuming Tera Grass is good for this thing? Gets access to Energy Ball and covers ground and water weaknesses - Flash Fire makes one of its new weaknesses an immunity and makes all previous ones neutral with maybe an added relevant weakness in bug because of U-Turn?

I guess it ends up worse than fighting by merit of folding to Chien-Pao's ice moves but could still be worth depending on what your team is

View attachment 468014
Armarouge

Type:
Fire / Psychic

Base Stats: 85 HP / 60 Atk / 100 Def / 125 SpA / 80 SpD / 75 Spe

Abilities: Flash Fire / Weak Armor

Notable Moves:
- Armor Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Energy Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Tera Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Trick
- Taunt

New Moves:

Armor Cannon

Pros:
- 125 SpA is very solid, letting it serve as a decently powerful wallbreaker and revenge killer.
Cons:
- Receives high competition from other offensive Fire types such as Chi-Yu and Iron Moth, as they are stronger, much faster, and have less disadvantageous typings.

Terastal Potential:
- Armarouge already has all the coverage it needs, so it doesn’t need to use Tera Blast. It can go for a Tera Fire or Psychic to further boost the power of its STAB moves, as well as making it less vulnerable to certain types and hazards.
- Alternatively, it can go for Tera Fighting to get rid of all its initial weaknesses and give its Fighting type moves more power

Potential Sets:

Choice Specs
Armarouge @ Choice Specs
Modest / Timid Nature
- Armor Cannon
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Trick / Shadow Ball

One of Armarouge's primary roles is to serve as a wallbreaker. Armor Cannon is its most powerful move but shouldn't be spammed too much due to dropping Armarouge's defenses, and it doesn't have the bulk or speed to use it often. Psychic is slightly more powerful than Psyshock, but Psyshock can get past problematic special walls such as Blissey and Clodsire. Energy Ball is the preferred coverage move if running Trick, as it counters Water, Rock, and Ground types that attempt to take it out, and is more reliable than Focus Blast, yet stronger than Aura Sphere. However, if Shadow Ball is run instead of Trick, it should be used with either Focus Blast or Aura Sphere, as the combined coverage moves make it impossible for a Pokemon to resist any of its moves.

Choice Scarf
Armarouge @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Armor Cannon
- Focus Blast/Aura Sphere
- Trick
- Psyshock

Armarouge can also serve as a revenge killer by patching up its poor speed with a Choice Scarf. The details are basically the same as before, with Armor Cannon being its most powerful move, while Psyshock targets special walls as the STAB Psychic move of choice. Aura Sphere is more accurate, but Focus Blast is much more powerful. Finally, Trick is used to cripple any walls that switch in on this set.

Other Options:

Overall Thoughts:
Armarouge is a very neat Pokemon with a slick design and a nice Special Attack with some good coverage options, but it has no chance in OU. Its typing combined with an awkward speed tier and average bulk makes it easily revenge killed, and there's much better offensive Pokémon out there. However, I could definitely it having usage in lower tiers, as it's still decently powerful. It just suffers too much from competition in the current metagame.
A fun but gimmicky set could be weakness policy weak armor Armarouge.

Armarouge @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fairy / Fighting
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Armor Cannon
- Stored Power
- Tera Blast / Aura Sphere / Focus Blast

With screens support, you do not take too much from common moves such as earthquakes from less offensive mons (against more offensive mons, you need to be more careful and parting shot out of them) and get an early KO. This set functions quite similar to Espathra's stored power set, but Armarouge has immediate pressure (as soon as weakness policy activates, you can do lots of damage even without calm minds from +2 in spe, spatk, and atk), better coverage, better spatk, and better bulk. I invested some of the EVs into HP to increase bulk and still outspeed scarf Gholdengo, but 252 spe could be run to outspeed Chi-Yu. Tera fairy and fighting are used as to resist sucker punch, which could end your sweep early. Calm mind is useful if you never get the chance to activate weakness policy, but you would need more support from something such as Cyclizar. Armor cannon is a basic fire-type STAB move, but if you do not like that it lowers spdef and takes away some of the calm mind boosts, you could run some alternate fire move. However, I personally like armor cannon because if you boost off of weakness policy, you don't lose any stored power boosts. Stored power is used because it is the move that most benefits from stat boosts. The last slot is mainly coverage to hit dark types super-effectively. Overall, a fun set to use and does not need as much setup as Espathra (meaning that you don't need to commit much into it before it starts dealing damage) but requires predictions and lots of support to be useful.

Armarouge @ Heavy Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fighting / Dark / Bug
Modest / Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Aura Sphere / Terablast
- Armour Cannon

This seems like it could work as an anti-chiyu Mon - yet to test it but Flash Fire and Tera is a nice combination

Armarouge just gets overshadowed by many of the other Fire types out there. The main reason to use would in a trick room team and utilize it's extensive offensive options. It falls short even with that due to its numerous weaknesses, also weak to hazards and outsped by many of the bulky ground types. It is unfortunately not suitable for OU for the most part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)