Are You Open For a Pass? (A B/W team)

This is my second RMT, first for this generation. This team is a little on the gimmicky side, but it's very fun to play with and gets some good results. Keep in mine that I am not playing in the Dreamworld metagame
Without Further Ado:
Are You Open For a Pass?
The whole goal of the team is to get Venomoth to pass Butterfly dances to Porygon-Z.

Uxie is a great asset, with access to Reflect, Light screen, and Memento which helps out Venomoth. Next, I needed a Utility pokemon. Golduck, although an odd choice, has done pretty well with a bunch of options.

I needed a lead, Aerodactyl is pretty reliable and gets the job done most of the time. Then, I saw I was too special-based, plus I needed a revenge killer. Hitmontop came to mind, with physical priority it becomes very useful.

After some thinking and testing, Nidoking seemed more useful than Hitmontop, and can relieve Porygon-Z of some of the sweeping. Quagsire replaced Golduck for having similar utility but using an attack stat instead.

InDepth

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Pretty simple, Taunt against things slower, Stealth Rock or attack with Stone Edge if it's slower. Focus Sash buys me time to taunt or set up Stealth Rocks. Overall, it does a pretty good job and I don't see the need to replace it, only if there is something better out there.

Uxie @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Yawn

This guy is amazing! He sets up screens, and can even take a hit while doing it. Screens are the crux of the whole team, Memento is for when I want to switch to Venomoth and begin the magic. Yawn is to force switches and really an annoyer, plus it buys time for the screens. Max Speed to try and avoid being taunted, HP for the ability to take some hits better.He also provides a Ground Immunity to the team. I am not replacing this guy, he is just TOO useful for the team.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Hail
- Recover
- Encore
- Earthquake

Replacement for Golduck. It's been doing somewhat well, because this guy and Venomoth cover their weaknesses pretty well. Hail is for messing up waether and for a little surprise value. Recover so it lasts longer and can come back in multiple times. Encore to get stat uppers, which works well with Unaware as an ability, although I'm wondering if I should replace it with Toxic or Waterfall. Earthquake is for STAB and some damage.

Venomoth (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Butterfly Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass
- Sleep Powder

The Set up guy. He does very well. As soon as I switch to Venomoth after Uxie I'm behind screens, and hopefully under the benefit of Memento, so I usually can get around three or so Butterfly Dances in on average. Sleep Powder buys me turns to Butterfly Dance, and Bug Buzz gets Roar/Taunters before they act, hopefully. What this guy does is pretty unique and I don't see the reason to replace him....Unless with Masquerain that is.

Porygon-Z @ Lum Berry
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

After the pass, this guy rips through the opposing team. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide the BoltBeam combo, and provide good coverage. Tri-Attack is for STAB and packs a punch with Adaptability. Recover seems odd, but I get some chances to use it and it saves me from priority and Fake-out. With it I can also stall out Sucker Punch users. Max Special for the power, and the rest goes into Speed. Lum berry to prevent status, and in particular handle Blissey a bit better.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Encourage
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

A backup or fall back baton pass receiver. Earth Power is for STAB, Thunderbolt gets Flyers who are immune to ground, Ice Beam hits dragons, grass, and ground/flyers who resist that combo. Flamethrower is for levitating steels and for Ice types that I might come across, although I rarely find myself using it, except hitting Nattorei. I am keeping it for now, but may replace it with Shadow Ball or Focus Blast. All four moves are boosted by Encourage, and it turn Nidoking avoids Life orb recoil when using them.

Well, that's it for now, advice is very helpful!

Have you thought about using a Nidoking over something on your team? Nidoking resists just about everything Venomoth is weak to (bar Fire-type), making it a great Baton Pass recipient.

It also has Encourage, and with it, recoil-less Life Orb. Combined with one or two Butterfly Dances, and you have something that hits like a truck, takes little damage from Stealth Rock coming in, and absorbs Toxic Spikes.

I assume you have thought about type, but here are some of your biggest problems:
Electric-SE against 2, and you have no resists. Only your suicide lead has a ground move. BoltBeam doesn't give the opponent an advantage over just plain electric.
Psychic-SE against 2, 1 resist (Uxie) who can get battered by Ghost/Dark attacks that frequently are used for coverage
Rock-SE against 2, NVE against Hitmontop. The frequent coverage move to complete EdgeQuake doesn't cover anything else.
Flying-SE against 2, NVE and countered by Aerodactyl. Aerodactyl and PorygonZ are the only ones with SE moves against flying types.

I tried Nidoking over Hitmontop, and it was amazing. I really don't want to replace Porygon-Z though. Without Hitmontop though, I'm left with my lead as my only physical attacker which usually doesn't last very long. Possibly replacing Golduck with something physically based which could provide similar utility. Maybe Poliwrath would work?

Updated with some big changes. Nidoking replaces Hitmontop and Quagsire replaces Golduck. Synergy is a little better now as a result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)