Earth Power
Grassy Terrain
Giga Impact
Leaf Storm
Hyper Beam
Solar Beam
Tera Blast

New Ability:
Seed Sower - When this Pokemon is hit by an attack, it sets up Grassy Terrain.

Pros:
- Decent 78/90/109 bulk alongside good defensive moves
- Can hit hard in Grassy Terrain with 120 SpA
- Great in weather teams, especially sun
- Good coverage in Earth Power and Dazzling Gleam
- Notable immunity to Ghost-type moves and a resistance to Ground

Cons:
- 39 Spe is pathetically slow, leaving it to be revenge killed by other Pokemon
- Grass/Normal isn't really a great defensive type (ignoring Terastal)
- Seed Sower is somewhat prediction reliant
- Having to get hit for Seed Sower to activate in a hyper offense based meta can be very risky

Terastalizing Potential:
- Arboliva will most likely want to use the Grass-Tera Type on its offensive sets to power up its Grass-type moves further, since this in Grassy Terrain can be very hard hitting. You could also choose the Fairy-Tera Type to give a boost to Dazzling Gleam, and it would provide you a better defensive type. If it ever runs a defensive set it will not even need to Terastalize, since most defensive sets do not use Terastalization.

Potential Sets:
Sun
Arboliva @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Ability: Seed Sower
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Growth
- Solar Beam
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam / Earth Power / Weather Ball / Synthesis

As stated before, Arboliva is a pretty good choice on sun teams. Heavy Duty Boots is run to not take chip damage from hazards, however you can run LO if you want extra damage. The fourth slot can be any coverage move, or you can run Synthesis for recovery.

Choice Specs
Arboliva @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Grass / Fairy
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Earth Power
- Energy Ball
- Hyper Voice

Arboliva can also run a standard Choice Specs set with its standard STABs + its coverage.

SubSeed
Arboliva @ Leftovers / Iapapa Berry
Ability: Seed Sower / Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Energy Ball
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam / Earth Power

The basic SubSeed set with Dazzling Gleam or Earth Power as coverage. Might also be the only set you'll run Harvest with if you want to use a berry as your item.

Last edited:
Been running a Sun Harvest (Tera Fire) Arboliva set with some decent success. Custap Berry + Harvest allows you to get priority every turn, and endure ensures you can get below 25% without dying. Tera fire is often sufficient for taking the first hit they use to attempt to kill you, and you can hit back really hard with a STAB Weather Ball in sun, or a super effective Earth Power in case they used a Fire type to try and kill Arboliva. Biggest weakness of the set is priority moves (which can be answered by Psychic Terrain if needed) or getting poisoned.

Arboliva @ Custap Berry
Ability: Harvest
Tera Type: Fire
Modest Nature
- Endure
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Earth Power

Strengh sap is a broken move and should be mentioned in defensive sets. If using harvest, Sitrus berry is the prefered berry because is easy to active and recovers nearly the same.

This thing is nuts with Light Screen and Strength Sap, especially the latter with the surplus of offensive physical mons. What's losing 90% of your HP when you can heal to full and take less damage next time?

Arboliva is going to be a great option for Trick Room teams moving forward, but I think the loss of Stakataka heavily impacts the viability Trick Room had last gen.

What about Terrain Pulse? I think Arboliva can spam it pretty well. It always gets STAB from Arboliva since it is Normal/Grass. It's its signature move (Arboliva is the only Pokemon that can learn it), 50 power Normal move with STAB that with Grassy Terrain it becomes a 100 power Grass move with STAB. I've tested it at 99% of the time, is feasible to use thanks to Seed Sower and Arboliva being very slow (I tend to use Strength Sap in turn 1, an then Terrain Pulse in turn 2).

Arboliva @ Leftovers
EVs: 148 HP / 108 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Terrain Pulse
- Leech Seed
- Strength Sap

Last edited:
What about Terrain Pulse? I think Arboliva can spam it pretty well. It always gets STAB from Arboliva since it is Normal/Grass. It's its signature move (Arboliva is the only Pokemon that can learn it), 50 power Normal move with STAB that with Grassy Terrain it becomes a 100 power Grass move with STAB. I've tested it at 99% of the time, is feasible to use thanks to Seed Sower and Arboliva being very slow (I tend to use Strength Sap in turn 1, an then Terrain Pulse in turn 2).

Arboliva @ Leftovers
EVs: 148 HP / 108 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Terrain Pulse
- Leech Seed
- Strength Sap
Yeah you make a solid point with this. Seed Sower is essentially Sand spit on Sandaconda. Even if your terrain is overridden, you will always get it back unless Arboliva is KO'd by chip damage. This is the most reliable instance of Terrain Pulse due to not many pokemon under speeding it.

I've had a surprising amount of success with this set. EVs are not optimized, and I haven't run any specific calcs, so I'm sure someone could figure out a better spread lol.

Arboliva @ Grassy Seed
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Strength Sap
- Terrain Pulse
- Tera Blast
- Earth Power / Dazzling Gleam

Seed Sower is a great ability for a slow, bulky mon like Arboliva. Tera Fire flips Arbo's weaknesses on its head and screws with would-be checks like Corviknight, Chien-Pao, Gholdengo, Baxcalibur, Scizor, etc. I usually Terastallize on a would-be super effective attack or switch in on a resisted hit to proc the Grassy Seed for +1 Def. Strength Sap prolongs your longevity against phys attackers and provides good recovery. Under Grassy Terrain, Earthquake gets nerfed, Water types do not want to switch into a 130BP STAB Terrain Pulse off 125 base SpA, and you get some additional recovery, to boot. Last slot is for coverage - I've been running Earth Power for Torkoal/Iron Moth/Chi-Yu, but I suppose you could run Dazzling Gleam instead if you're extra concerned about Dragonite/Roaring Moon.

Some (low-ladder) replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1723193245-drj7k8ruwmfir4sbjndxtaz5viculkspw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1722077348-4nbw49ms5w2ictcvs6qifibbjtnbkyspw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1726297727-8moqs3sdzmdwmof11r41vm7mjna9a3gpw

I am surprised no one is using Giga Drain on any of these sets. I would think the HP recovery would only add to bulky and offensive sets.

I am surprised no one is using Giga Drain on any of these sets. I would think the HP recovery would only add to bulky and offensive sets.
The first iteration of my set had Giga Drain instead of Terrain Pulse (I think one of my replays might even show that), but I found the extra firepower from Terrain Pulse was a lot more useful than the recovery Giga Drain provided.

I am really liking this pokemon alot. Strength sap is by far the best recovery move in the game, especially after all other recovery moves have had their PP reduced.

I am torn on running a Normal move on this or not. I love terrain pulse on this over giga drain as I feel strength sap is enough healing. Earth power is nice for coverage and helps vs Fire types. However I am torn on either Hyper voice for a solid STAB, Leech seed to really mess with stallers and even more recovery, or like muffun said and use Terra Blast Fire or something to counter its weaknesses. Hell i could even use tera blast before teralizing for stab if I really wanted to. I am just torn on how much healing grassy terrain plus Leech seed would give

I am really liking this pokemon alot. Strength sap is by far the best recovery move in the game, especially after all other recovery moves have had their PP reduced.

I am torn on running a Normal move on this or not. I love terrain pulse on this over giga drain as I feel strength sap is enough healing. Earth power is nice for coverage and helps vs Fire types. However I am torn on either Hyper voice for a solid STAB, Leech seed to really mess with stallers and even more recovery, or like muffun said and use Terra Blast Fire or something to counter its weaknesses. Hell i could even use tera blast before teralizing for stab if I really wanted to. I am just torn on how much healing grassy terrain plus Leech seed would give
Tempting as it is, and as someone who always puts an STAB from both types no matter what, Hyper Voice is not really worth it. Earth Power or another status move is just better in my opinion.

Right now ive been running a team with a u-turn wall setup Espathra, so setting up with that first, then switching in to Arboliva with this set up has done great:

Arboliva @ Salac Berry
Ability: Harvest
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Leech Seed
- Dazzling Gleam
- Strength Sap

Str Sap first to wittle down and recover from most attackers head on, and Leech Seed to annoy pesky set up stallers like Klefki. Hyper Voice gets resisted alot, but it bypasses a lot of the shed tail runners now, and Dazzling Gleam helps for its coverage. On top of that, the Speed boost when Harvest activates throws people off and makes it a big surprise to be able to take down a good portion of offensive presences around that its at risk against. Its ran pretty well so far for me!

Why not post the set?
Here's what I've been running

Arboliva @ Leftovers
Seed Sower
252 HP, 4 Sp. Atk, 252 Sp. Def
- Strength Sap
- Light Screen
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed/Dazzling Gleam

I imagine it works better in doubles, truthfully haven't had time to play it yet, but in singles it works best eating a special hit for Grassy Terrain, setting up screens, and sapping the physical switch in after. High Sp. Atk likes investment but the bulk is better imo for how I use it and giga drain is boosted in the terrain to compensate for some power loss

It's typing is a huge let down defensively. Normal typing allows it get wrecked by Pokémon like Breloom and Great Tusk who would otherwise would have a great challenge breaking through it. It also extremely slow and usually isn't the best Pokémon to Tera Type. Once it's on the field though it can be difficult to switch into due to its good coverage and annoying moves like strength sap. Trick Room is where Arboliva really is at home and is much more difficult to deal with it. Overall it doesn't fare well at all.

Hello , this is my first post on smogon and I want it to be about this oily mon

Nature: +Sdef, -Atk
Tera Type: Ghost
Item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Grass Knot/ Leech Seed/ Giga Drain/ Terrain pulse.
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Strength Sap

I have been playing around with a dual screens build, and it can actually tank most things when your all set up. This thing took a hit from a Chi-Yu over heat, Chien-Pao Icicle Crash, and a Banded Lokix First Impression. There other examples but you get the idea.

It can sit on mons like Dondozo and Garganacl, especially if you are Tera ghost, and you can threatened them with terrain boosted Grass Knot. Tera ghost also lets you set up infront of mons that want to Close Combat you.

You don't have the utility of a Grimmsnarl for the screens role, but you can stay in on a lot of threats and be just as annoying.

You could replace grass knot with leech seed or Giga Drain for alittle more staying power. Terrain Pulse is more consistent damage against lighter targets.

Here's what I've been running

Arboliva @ Leftovers
Seed Sower
252 HP, 4 Sp. Atk, 252 Sp. Def
- Strength Sap
- Light Screen
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed/Dazzling Gleam

I imagine it works better in doubles, truthfully haven't had time to play it yet, but in singles it works best eating a special hit for Grassy Terrain, setting up screens, and sapping the physical switch in after. High Sp. Atk likes investment but the bulk is better imo for how I use it and giga drain is boosted in the terrain to compensate for some power loss
Nice thank you

Arboliva @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SpA
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
-Leaf Storm/Solar Beam
-Weather Ball
-Earth Power
-Dazzling Gleam

I have used this Arboliva on a trick sun team and it literally smashes everything to bits. Once Grassy Terrain is activated it further boosts your power to atom levels. Weather Ball takes care of Steel Types like Corviknight, Earth Power for fire types and Dazzling Gleam for the Dragons. With absolute minimum speed nothing outspeeds you in trick room not even Torkoal or Clodsire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)