Apprentice Program Signups: Monotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for SUMO Monotype, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

THE RULES

• You must be able to access Skype, Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE.Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you.
  • You may request priority if you were skipped previously in 2016. Link your sign-up post from last year by going to the B101 Archive located in Thread Cryonics underneath Closed Forums.
  • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be deleted. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
  • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.

• NEW: You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
Any iteration of Ubers/OU/UU/RU/NU/PU/DOU/LC from any of the past generations.
Any iteration of Battle Spot / VGC formats.

Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.

Username:
PO/PS! Username:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
example said:
Username: plus
PS! Username: youngme7o
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in 2007 and decided to join Smogon to get better. Since then, I've played in tournaments like WCOP 2009 and SPL 1 way back in the day. Admittedly I've had less time to burn on Pokemon since then, but I still have fair knowledge in OU / UU / NU for all generations from DPP onwards.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up in the future if:
  • You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round(banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist.(banned for 3-6 months)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

assigned to Tyke

Username: Haaku.
PO/PS! Username: Haaku
Your timezone: GMT -5
Usual Hours of Availability: Almost any day after 3PM till 11PMish (EST)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started competitive near 2013, and I feel like I’m at a decent place in terms of Monotype metagame knowledge. I am a room voice after all, but I’d like to polish my skills and be known as more than just “average.” I went 2-2 in USM in the recent MWP tour and I’m not exactly satisfied with how I played and I’m ready to make the transition into a top player.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both, but I much prefer Discord.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
assigned to Vid

Username: Wascally Wabbit (but it is being changed to itsjustdrew
PO/PS! Username: itsjustdrew
Your timezone: PST
Usual Hours of Availability: Most hours on weekends and some flexibility after 7 o’clock on weekdays.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Well I started this game playing UU but I’ve always liked monotype. I’ve played monotype for a solid amount of time in USUM and ORAS and built a couple teams. My favorite team is Steel Hyper Offense. I’d say over all my general Pokémon skill is above average and I definately have potential to be good at monotype. I know the meta well enough and have enough experience in Pokémon and monotype to be a good tutee.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I can use both but I prefer Discord

assigned to Ridley.

Username: KingPiloswine
PO/PS! Username: IglooBoi/ KingPiloswine
Your timezone: Est
Usual Hours of Availability: 5-9 Mon-Fri and saturday and sunday is varied

Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've done showdown leagues. I've laddered quite a few types. Only really successed with psychic. I have hit 1600 with ice and 1777 with psychic. But want to learn other types.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: discord is prefered
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: not really

assigned to iLlama

Username: Mystic Master
PO/PS! Username: FIR Targaryen/MysticMaster77
Your timezone: EST
Usual Hours of Availability:
Evenings after 6PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have laddered a few types, and I have done the best with Psychic and Fire, laddering up to 1670 with psychic. I want to be proficient with other types, especially Dragon and Water. As well as other types.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: DIscord
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: No

assigned to Waszap

Username: Brisked
PO/PS! Username: Brisked
Your timezone: GMT-6
Usual hours of Availability: Weekdays 7pm-11pm Saturdays: 3PM-12AM Sundays: 6:00PM-11PM.
Tell us a little about your experience in the competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started getting into competitive Pokemon near 2015, really got into it at the beginning of 2017. I have experience in ORAS OU and Gen 7 Monotype. I have good knowledge of the game and I work hard on my teambuilding and playing on ladder. I struggle to get to a more elite level of playing which is where I want to be. I've played in a few smogon tours and did not perform well and got eliminated early on. I'm comfortable with the meta and really seeking help to improve my talent to compete with the best.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord
Do you understand how the blacklist works? yes
edit: I'd prefer not to have Waszap or KevinELF because I want to be with someone that does not know me.

assigned to Zukushiku

Username: Mateeus_1
PS! Usernames: Mateeus, Mateeus_1
Your Timezone: GMT -4
Usual hours of Availability: Weekdays 9 PM - 11 PM, Saturdays 6 PM onwards, Sundays 1 PM - 11 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started getting into Monotype / Competitive Pokemon in 2014, and since them, I've been really attached into it, be it ladder, tournaments or just discussing in general. Although I feel I have a decent knowledge of the Monotype metagame, I recently got back into it and I do want to step my playing level up from what I did before. I want to know about every type, as well as how they all play and fare, so I can widen my experience gap as well. I've done some smogon tours, but never got so far while participating.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both, but I prefer Discord.

assigned to KevinELF

Username: Got Cookies
PO/PS! Username: iGotCookies
Usual Hours of Availability: Around 3:30 - 5:30 on Weekdays Anytime on weekends usually
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing pokemon for a while got into mono around 2014 and have really enjoyed it. Not really the greatest at predicting and making decisions for battles and would like to work on it. I've done well in some tours but nothing too special would like to particularly learn how to predict and become a better player overall.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: DIscord

assigned to Eien

Username: Keahi
PO/PS! Username: Keahi
Your timezone: Arizona, currently MST. Once DST hits, PST
Usual Hours of Availability: usually on always
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):Been here since 2014. Slowly learning it. I'm getting good at certain types, but would like to learn some different types. I've done decently, but I am reckless in battling and would like to control that. I'm decent at Water, Fire, and Psychic. Been wanting to get better at Steel, Flying, and Poison.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:Both. I have a preference for Discord
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Of course.

assigned to Bushtush

Username: Cherry Inmato
PO/PS! Username: Cherry Inmato
Usual hours of availability: after 5 pm est - 10 pm est anytime on weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): started in 2017 nd im still learning. sometimes i play super fire but other times i make unplays. need to learn when to predict and when not to predict
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: i've got both but discord is preferred
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: ye

Naziel

I'm fruity too!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
assigned to iLlama

Username: Naziel
PO/PS! Username: Naziel
Your timezone: PST (UTC -8:00)
Usual Hours of Availability: Everyday: 9:00 AM to 01:00 PM ~ Monday and Wednesday: 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM ~ Tuesday: 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM ~ Thursday and Friday: 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I'm just a casual player that wants to improve in his favorite tier: Monotype, in this case. I have been playing Monotype since 8 months and I just use two types at this moment: Steel- and Fairy-type, and I really want to learn more about this types and others like: Bug and Fire
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Only Discord, if it's necessary I could use Skype too

assigned to Vid

Username: MrSnowBro
PO/PS! Username: MrSnowBro
Your timezone: CST
Usual Hours of Availability: Typically from 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM unless it is Monday or Wednesday which is typically 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I had gotten into competitive Pokémon back in 2016 and was really into it back then, however; I stopped playing after the release of Sun and Moon up until now. I have dabbled in Mono-Type before, especially back in ORAS, however; I haven't played around in it much this Gen, and instead of just dabbling in it from time to time, I would really like to learn the tier and build better teams for the tier.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I can use Discord. I can also use Skype if needed.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes, I do.

assigned to Ridley.

Username: Magikingdra
PS! Username: Magikingdra
Your timezone: CST (GMT-6)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekends 1 PM- 3PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing LC in March/April 2016. I came to mono (actively) November 2017 and joined Smogon. I have played more than 70 matches, I reset my W/L in Jan. 2018. I hope to learn how to team build and play more intelligently. Thanks!
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Preferably Discord with no voicechat.

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
assigned to Eien

Username: gl volkner
PO/PS! Username: gl volkner
Your timezone: mst
Usual Hours of Availability: since it's summer i can do 10am-3pm 5pm-8pm and 9pm-11pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Been messing around with some official tiers, I'm an OM main though but I've messed around long enough to be called somewhat experienced ig. Not that great of a player, lack meta knowledge in most of these tiers but I have decentish game sense. Haven't done many non OM tours and the ones I have done they've been just for fun, so seriously learning a meta would be nice.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord, can't talk though but I can listen

Scholar

Shinjiro's babe
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
assigned to Tyke

Username: MMagma
PO/PS! Username: Magma
Your timezone: GMT -4
Usual Hours of Availability: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9-9pm and Tuesday and Thursday 4-9pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I began when I first started vgc on Pokemon Showdown and learning about what evs were in 2015. I played very casually and not caring about how I team build till I started learning Gen 7 Monotype in late 2016. I had ladder success in Gen 6 with Ubers, AG and Monotype but only used one team with making top 100. I been dabbling in other tiers in the past few months since I thought I was good enough in Monotype with having great ladder success and ok tour runs(mlt, ssnls), but I'm not happy with my inconsistency with playing tours(like ssnls) and how poorly I play tour games compared to ladder. I think I just need a final push to make myself perform better in tour games.I know my team building is fine but there's something missing in my battle style.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord only
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

assigned to Tyke

Username: CrazyClown94
PO/PS! Username
: CrazyClown94
Your timezone: GMT-5
Usual Hours of Availability: all day Monday, Wednesday, Friday-Sunday
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Started in 2013 back in gen 5 as a beginner and attempted to teach myself how to play. I managed to become a decent player but I quit in 2016. I've since been gone for two years but I really need a tutor to help me get to that top level of play. I plan to use these skills to crush in unofficial and official tours alike.
Yes

assigned to Vid

Username: Maskun
PO/PS: Maskun
Your timezone: GMT -5
Usual Hours of Availability: all day monday - wednesday, the afternoon for friday and sunday.
Tell us about your experience in competitive Pokemon: I started in 2013 where I get interested in gen 5 monotype, and I kept playing until the middle of 2015 due to school where I gained experience in Gen 6 OU, and I've played in various tournaments but never got went higher in the bracket. I got back into playing when 2017 started, and I peaked reaching rank 1 during Gen 7 Monotype around August or September.
Do you understand how the black list works?: Yes

Lilymoding

formerly Kyosuru Jets
assigned to Waszap

Username: Kyosuru Jets
PO/PS! Username: AV8R Jets
Your timezone: EDT
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekends/Monday/Wednesday 12noon to 11pm, Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays 6pm to 11pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): So i started playing monotype in mid 2013, playing ever since. I joined several leagues, notably elitist, aftermath, and imperium. im overall not terrible, i think i peaked at around 1800 in 2016, but im not caught up with usum meta in general and need some help working on teambuilding skills etc. I know the game at a professional level, its just a matter of bridging that final gap.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord! :)
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: absolutely

assigned to Eien

Username: EricSaysHi
PO/PS! Username: EricSaysHi
Your timezone: mst gmt -6
Usual Hours of Availability: 4pm est-4am est
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): started playing in 2013. Was involved in the league scene on the side servers until 2017. Played in mpl2 and mwp as a monothreat player. Fallen out of the meta recently. Would like to dediscover the ability to make predictions and increase battling skill. I would like to work on teambuilding for usum and bw
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: discord

assigned to Charmflash

Username: Comrade Aidan
PO/PS! Username: Comrade Aidan/Phlebas
Your timezone: GMT -7
Usual Hours of Availability: Varies, I usually am able to bend to other people's schedules as I am currently unemployed
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing PS! in 2013, and had random stints of focused laddering or related. Just recently I started to play competitively, and I've hit Top 500 in UU, and am working on other tiers. I have a bit of experience in Monotype, but it's an old favorite so I'd like to come back to it.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both, but I heavily prefer Discord.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes!

Username: Assassin Rogue
PS Username: AssassinRogue
Your timezone: GMT +5:30
Usual Hours of Availability: 11 am to 12 am ( morning to night)

Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I am into mons and have been an active part of the community, on and off from 2014. I have explored most of the tiers of UU, RU, NU, LC, PU throughout these years. But I have never ventured into Monotype. Monotype as a tier had always caught my interest and I think that the program would help me understand the metagame and learn to build teams and get better at battling.

Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both

Username: TheRealTrainerRed
PO Username: PO: IGN Moone / PS username: Trainer Red2723
Usual Hours of Availability: 4-12pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
I've been playing pokemon since gen 1 (red) and I started playing competitively since gen 5. I'm interested in building a monotype team for an elite four tournament. I usually play with pokemon from various tiers and I like to use a lot of PU, UU, and NU pokemon like Mega Sceptile and Sawsbuck (sun team). I'm hoping to learn more about how to create a more balanced monotype team to handle various challengers.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:
Both
I Understand

assigned to Vid

Username: Riku Sakuraba
PS Username: Riku Sakuraba
Timezone: EST
Usual Hours of Availability: 2/4pm-3/4 AM (may be subject to change due to college starting in a week; will notify if time changes occur in schudule)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I got into competitive mons (strictly Monotype) one or two years ago. I've been trying to wrestle with what's good and what isn't. I'm not terrible at the tier itself, but I'd like to be able to teambuild and battle effectively. I also want to venture into new playstyles like Hyper Offensive and Offensive so that I'm not a "one trick pony" so to speak.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, but I would prefer Discord since I got notifications easier.

Assigned to Vid

Username: FairyTailed
PO/PS! Username: FairyTailed or Ethereal FairyTail
Your timezone: GMT + 1
Usual Hours of Availability: During the evening mostly.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Had a short stint in gen 4. Have watched competitive Pokémon ever since, mainly VGC. When I started playing competitive Pokémon for the first time (three months ago) I played OU Doubles before going over to Monotype. In my short period, I think I've gotten a great understanding on how the meta and Pokémon works in general. Even though I restricted myself to the worst type (Ice), I did it to improve myself. The worst type relies on plays and has barely any room for error. I think this is a major reason for my quick growth. While I can currently play more than one type, I'm not as confident playing types that aren't Ice. Top ladder rank was 1708 playing Ice only (78% GXE).
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Username: Gross Sweep
PO/PS! Username: Gross Sweep
Your timezone: GMT -4 (US Central)
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekends whenever, during the day Monday and Friday, and can make most/all nights after like 6 O'clock work if we plan a few days in advance.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have really only played OU seriously, but I like to think I've done fairly well for myself in the tier earning the team rater badge for rating OU. I helped out in the US South discord in the most recent WCOP, and after going into a bit of a lull when we were eliminated early on have regained an interest in mons, and want to broaden my horizons a bit with a new tier. Monotype caught my eye as it puts a heavy emphasis on building, and there is a lot of mon carryover from OU to Monotype.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I can use discord, don't have a skype.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes, I do.

assigned to Eien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)