Project Anything Goes Player of the Week Season 3 #1: Fc (see post #17)

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Approved by Pigeons & pichus
Thanks to Holy Ghost and mc56556 for the idea

ANYTHING GOES PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Ray.gif

Welcome to Anything Goes Player of the Week! In this series, I will be interviewing accomplished and respected Anything Goes players in the community. You will be able to ask questions and interact with these players by commenting in this thread. Interviews will be limited, but I am open to suggestions on Smogon or Discord. This week, we have the winner of the 2020 AG Fall Seasonal!

:Suicune: default0 :Mewtwo:

Most known for

what am i most known for? I dont know.. maybe my weird lead sets like lum lunala or extreme speed arc dark. i dont call them weird though.. i call them effective lol

Favorite Pokemon

:Kingdra: or :Mewtwo:

Where did you get your name from?

there's an old computer game called Age of Empires that has a scenario builder where you can create your own map, buildings, and units. the default name for the scenario before you rename it is "default0" so i thought i would use that name. kinda like i can create whatever teams i want like the scenario. very obscure i know.

How did you get in to competitive Pokemon?

i used to play pokemon as a kid. back when you had to battle with a connection cable. my friends kinda moved on from it but i kept my interest. i discovered an online battle simulator that i think was called mIRC and that's where my i really started to play competitively

How did you become interested in AG, and how long have you been playing it?

ive been playing since the end of gen 6 i think. i played ubers forever but i got interested in playing a "pure" metagame, where there were no restrictions.

Favorite and least favorite generation of AG?

gen 6 is my least favorite and gen 7 is my favorite

Natdex AG had a good year-long run as the primary AG format, what are your overall thoughts on that meta and how do you feel about the switch to galar dex?

it took me awhile to adjust to the new meta due to dynamax, but after a little while i came to like it. Dynamax adds a good bit of variety to the game. I don't know how i feel about the galar dex, i don't like that i can't use certain old mons but im sure I'll get used to the meta in the future.

Favorite playstyle to use?

Probably bulky offense.

Favorite game you've witnessed?

i can't think of a specific game but Skarph has had some pretty impressive games. He's probably the best gen 7 and 6 ag player and he's a great builder

Talk to us a bit about your SSNL run. What were your biggest challenges, best teams you used, favorite moments, etc.?

my biggest challenges opponent-wise were Icemaster and bacon. There was a toxic miss that i think caused me to lose game 1 against Ice but overall i felt like i was too impatient. I should've lost game 2 but got a super lucky crit on his arc water. The first match against bacon in winners finals was challenging, although i lost both games i felt pretty good with the teams i used. He got a crit on my yvetal in game 1 that probably cost it for me but i think i was being careless to allow that in the first place. both of these opponent's playstyles are challenging to go against. i think the best team i used was my one of my dragapult lead teams. people think of the mon as a bit of a meme but it's speed, ghost typing, clear body, status, and pivot ability give it some unique uses. also my bulky yvetal lifeorb set is something i like a lot. my favorite moment.. hm. im not sure. it wasn't winning the ssnl because i got way too lucky to be satisfied. maybe in game 3 against kate. that was a good clean match with alot of calcs and predictions n such that made it fun

You’re often thought of as using unconventional Pokémon (see: all the Tapu Fini usage). What draws you to using interesting Pokémon?

usually it's from what i see in the metagame. if there's a core that most people are using i look to use something that beats it. tapu fini originated as a counter to gen 7 ag baton pass teams and the lance stall team. after that fad faded i noticed that fini still worked as a viable mon

Do you look up to any other AG players?

hm.. i wouldn't say i look up to anyone but i respect Skarph and bacon the most. great players and good sportsmanship.

Any advice to new players looking to get started in AG?

i would say to watch plenty of tourny battles before trying to build your own teams. dont jump in without any knowledge of the meta.

Finally, can you provide us with a team of yours and briefly explain it?

:Necrozma-dusk-mane: :rayquaza-mega: :ho-oh: :arceus-dark: :dragapult: :groudon-primal:
(click on team for import)

a variation of my pivot dragapult team. basic strategy is to uturn into one of the heavy hitters, erupt pdon or cb mega ray, and wear the opponent down through that. or to uturn into a phazer/status absorber in arc dark and ho-oh. sash can help on dragapult with lead scarfers, but life orb usually works better

===

Thank you for your time default0! Feel free to ask questions in the thread below!

Last edited:
Aside from the unconventional movesets.

What is your favorite animal?

You’ve performed really well in AG overall for both room tours and forum tours such as the recent AG seasonal (grats by the way) but I wanted to know what was your favorite part(s) experiencing from these tours that you’ve gotten the opportunity to take part of? It could be Agpl, the recent seasonal, etc.

Do you plan to participate in the next AGPL and/or would you be up for managing the next one if you wanted to?

Lastly, what’s your favorite food?

Grats on your seasonal win + potw. I’m looking forward to your future endeavors.

As far as I see ur play, u try out unconventional ideas frequently, some of which turn out to be very nice , would u tell a few of ur ideas, which worked out the best?
My tapu fini probably worked out best for me in gen 7 ag. It's not as effective in gen 8 but there are still some good uses for it. Gen 8 I've tried out a few different unconventional sets like block taunt yvetal(to trap most perish song arceus and things like chansey or zygarde) and the dragapult i mentioned during the q&a. I'm always looking for new sets that can give me an edge

Aside from the unconventional movesets.

What is your favorite animal?

You’ve performed really well in AG overall for both room tours and forum tours such as the recent AG seasonal (grats by the way) but I wanted to know what was your favorite part(s) experiencing from these tours that you’ve gotten the opportunity to take part of? It could be Agpl, the recent seasonal, etc.

Do you plan to participate in the next AGPL and/or would you be up for managing the next one if you wanted to?

Lastly, what’s your favorite food?

Grats on your seasonal win + potw. I’m looking forward to your future endeavors.
Thanks velvet.
My favorite animal is a dog, they are usually so friendly..

I liked the team building aspect of the agpl alot. It was good to toss around ideas and have your teammates cheer you on. On the flip side, I liked the seasonal because I could just build without having to think about it much. Both tournaments matched me with high level players, and that's the best part of any tourny for me.

I'm not sure if I would play in the next AGPL. I liked it alot but i have alot of irl stuff going on and I don't know if I'll have the time to adapt to the new meta.

My favorite food is the purple Skittles. yummy..

cromagnet

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Ray.gif

Welcome to Anything Goes Player of the Week! In this series, I will be interviewing accomplished and respected Anything Goes players in the community. You will be able to ask questions and interact with these players by commenting in this thread. Interviews will be limited, but I am open to suggestions on Smogon or Discord. This week, we have the runner up of the 2020 AG Fall Seasonal!

:Lucario:BaconEatinAssassin:bulbasaur:

Most known for

I've been in the community for a pretty long time (over 4 years), and I won the Spring Seasonal earlier this year.

Favorite Pokemon

:Linoone:

When I was younger and played Minecraft, my skin was a man in a tuxedo wearing a pig mask, and I would adopt the persona of a crazed serial pig killer for fun. The online handle of most of my irl friends was just their name with a bunch of numbers, something that I disliked because it was so uncreative, so when I found Showdown I transferred (and slightly modified) my Minecraft username.

I'd watched a few WiFi battles on Youtube beforehand and had my curiosity piqued, but thought the only way I could battle was if I actually had the game and a DS. I was bored one day and wanted to find a way to play the cartridge games on my iPad, so I searched for "pokemon simulator" and Showdown was one of the top results.

Favourite is 7. I played a few games of gen 1 once and it was pretty awful; 6 isn't that bad in my eyes to be honest, but it's the worse out of 6/7/8 if we're only counting those.

Natdex AG had a good year-long run as the primary AG format, what are your overall thoughts on that meta?

Initially I liked it a lot, and once it settled down a bit I found it was pretty easy to find new ideas in the builder. During the back-end of AGPL/start of NDPL, it became pretty clear to me that the meta was starting to become stagnant again, and that feeling never went away during NDPL or my recent seasonal run.

Have you played much of Galar Dex AG post the release of DLC 2? What do you think of it so far?

I've played a bit on ladder and watched a few replays from the kickoff tour. If I'm gonna be honest I'm not really liking it that much, and although I think it's still vastly underexplored, building feels pretty constrictive at the moment with so many threats to check and the loss of several defensive options (particularly Arceus :blobsad:).

Balance is what's most comfortable to me; you don't have to be as aggressive as when you're using bulky offense, but can still apply offensive pressure on the opponent.

Tough choice, there's a lot that I can't remember off the top of my head but I'll go with the infamous blunder vs cbb game for SPL IX (click here for a recent analysis by bkc that recently reminded me of it). It's a wonderful display of positioning and offensive play from both, and definitely a very close battle.

You’ve had one of the most successful years as an AG tour player. How have you maintained your success?

I've had more time on my hands this past year so my play, and particularly my preparation has gotten better as a result. I've usually been able to do either one of those well in the past, but I feel like I've managed to put both together in the past 9 months or so. There's other factors such as a smaller playerbase and (naturally) luck as well.

pichus is probably the player I've learned from the most, from playing tests/friendlies against & watching her consistently win games. Playwise, watching Paycard was pretty remarkable to me; he always seemed in control of a game, and had an intuitive ability to know when to push.

In terms of building, use the resources on forums, and don't be afraid to ask in chatrooms for help. If you want to improve your play, practice not just on ladder, but also in forum tours. There's plenty of videos on Youtube that have lots of good advice on battling. Make sure you play different metagames and don't limit yourself just to AG; most battling skills are transferable from tier to tier, and you can keep yourself interested in the game.

:Zygarde: :Arceus: :necrozma-dusk-mane: :arceus: :Arceus: :gengar-mega:

Relatively standard gar team; dd zyg and sd waterceus complement each other pretty well as physical sweepers, with the latter also providing a fairly solid waterceus/special groudon check. whirlpool darkceus gives a cm darkceus check, and can trade with other darkceus. refresh over judgment because I was lazy and couldn't be bothered fitting a status absorber anywhere else, and gar/decent groudon counterplay somewhat makes up for the loss of judgment. defog groundceus gives an additional groudon/zacian/zygarde check, while gar enables zyg/waterceus pretty well and can force trades with breakers such as sd groundceus and kyogre, worst comes to worst.

===

Thank you for your time BaconEatinAssassin! Feel free to ask questions in the thread below!

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
how much do you actually like bacon?

favourite food?

what did you used to play in minecraft? do you still play?

what's the worst thing you've brought to a tour game?

if you were locked in a room with oras darkrai, natdex yveltal and galardex calyrex-shadow; which order would you shoot them in?

baconeatinassassin

smile!
is a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
Sushi or Pineapple on your pizza?

Why is Linoone your favorite pokemon?

If you could ban 1 pokemon from each AG format, which would u choose for each one of them?
1. idk if you mean
a) sushi by itself
b) sushi on pizza
c) sushi pizza (just googled it and apparently it's a thing)
sushi is one of my favourite foods, and i'm against pineapple on pizza BUT i don't feel too strongly about it. sushi on pizza sounds like it takes away a lot of the goods things about sushi, but sushi pizza doesn't seem that different from regular sushi so a) sushi b) pineapple pizza c) sushi pizza

2. the first game i played was emerald and zigzagoon was the first pokemon i caught. i'd read a few guides after i had to google how to open the menu, so i decided it was going to learn hms only, but i still used it in battle because i felt bad and it ended up clutching so many for me & i grew attached to it

3. pretty boring picks but 6 sounds pretty good without darkrai, i like 7 as is because even though ray is arguably broken, so smeargle ig. caly is pretty broken in galar/post-dlc natdex, pre-dlc would be zacian

Ur favourite custom Avatar on showdown?

Best Pokemon character in the anime?

How good is kyurem white?
1. just looked through them, jibaku's is pretty awesome

2. i barely remember anything since it's been so long since i've watched the anime and i've only seen parts of dpp, bw and xy, but i never really loved any of the people lol. ash's krook was pretty cool though

3. i love using specs kyuw in gen 7, it used to rip into everything but unfortunately poisonceus & spdef dusk mane are more common now. in 8 spdef is kinda ass, very susceptible to hazards & it can't hold boots unless it wants to lose to specs ogre. i did get shredded by specs kyuw a few days ago though

how much do you actually like bacon?

favourite food?

what did you used to play in minecraft? do you still play?

what's the worst thing you've brought to a tour game?

if you were locked in a room with oras darkrai, natdex yveltal and galardex calyrex-shadow; which order would you shoot them in?
1. :psynervous:

2. shrimp wonton noodles if i had to choose one. it has a lot of nostalgia attached to it for me & it's absolutely delicious

3. i enjoyed building things like houses and played a bunch of minigames, mainly hunger games (on mobile). i stopped like 4 years ago

4. this was bad. if you want something more recent, my ndou team w1 of ndpl has no ash gren check which i didn't realise until a few hours after the game

5. i'd shoot myself. if that isn't an option, darkrai first, then caly.

Last edited:

cromagnet

Ray.gif

Welcome to Anything Goes Player of the Week! In this series, I will be interviewing accomplished and respected Anything Goes players in the community. You will be able to ask questions and interact with these players by commenting in this thread. Interviews will be limited, but I am open to suggestions on Smogon or Discord.

:Dialga: Nevelle :Kyogre:

Most known for

going 3-1 in agpl, when at the time no one knew who i was. having a solid grasp of the pre dlc natdex ag meta and being a friendly presence in the chatroom.

Favorite Pokemon

:Dialga:
my first ever mons game was diamond, and it has stuck with me since then. dialga's design is really neat and its typing was unique to itself, until this gen.

as many of you might know, i used to be nevillelovegood, which is a mix of two characters from harry potter. i wouldn't consider myself a huge HP fan, but i was 13 at the time and it seemed like a good idea lol. i found out earlier this year that "nevelle" was unregged on PS, and i grabbed it real quick.

i grew up playing the games—diamond, soulsilver, leafgreen, and black. i always enjoyed the competitive aspect of battling—i used to battle my friend over wireless. one day, i had a sudden urge to fight with any team i wanted. after a google search, i found PS and loaded up an ubers ladder game. i havent looked back since then.

my favorite gen is natdex ag (pre dlc), as it is the one that got me into ag and is also the one i am best at. i find the offensive threats enjoyable to use and (offensive) dynamax is a fun addition. my least favorite meta is galar, as teambuilding feels restrictive and games often come down to 50 50s.

Speaking of Natdex AG, Natdex AG had a good year-long run as the primary AG format, what are your overall thoughts on that meta?

although it gets a lot of hate, i feel that natdex ag is a fairly balanced meta. there are many dangerous offensive threats that you must account for when building, but there is not one mon that is so overwhelming that it cannot be handled. I also enjoy how dynamax can act as both a powerful weapon and also an emergency defensive mechanism—it adds another dimension to games that you must consider in addition to everything else.

You also mentioned you're not a big fan of Galar AG, can you elaborate on that and let us know of any redeeming qualities of the meta, if any?

with calyrex, zacian c, and kyogre being such overwhelming threats, building is very restrictive for balance—yveltal, dusk mane, and ferrothorn feel almost mandatory on every team just to check those three mons. thus, it currently feels like there is not much room for creativity in building, at least for balances. a redeeming quality is that galar seems like the most HO friendly meta of all. i would not consider myself an HO player, but I can see how HO mains would find galar appealing.

definitely bulky offense. i like running teams that are roughly half offensive and half defensive, with both powerful breakers and a defensive core that can handle common threats.

the final game of this years spring seasonal really stood out to me. both players brought similar teams, and bacon really demonstrates his strong grasp of the balance playstyle—patiently chipping down ice's team absorbing status with his whirlpool refresh arceus, until his band ray could do significant damage. watching this game really taught me the fundamentals of playing balance, as before this i mostly used HO.

You are a relatively new user to the AG community. What have been some of your favorite parts about the community while you’ve been here?

agpl was definitely a highlight, as i enjoyed being in a community within a community and playing for a team. it was also a great way for a newcomer like me to learn from established players like skarph and bacon, as they were my teammates. i also enjoy starting hangmans in the chatroom, as it is often a good way to get people excited and promote discussion.

What are you most looking forward to in AG in the coming year?

i look forward to seeing the galar ag meta develop, as it inevitably will. i might not enjoy playing it much currently, but i could see it becoming more fun down the road.

i look up to many players, but skarph really stands out to me as someone who has been consistently good for an extended period of time. i also look up to baconeatinassassin, as he is the most consistently good player in my main meta, natdex ag.

ladder is always a good place to start to grasp the fundamentals of the game. i'd also watch replays from high profile tour games, such as seasonal finals and agpl, and observe how established players play. seeking help is also essential—playing friendlies with good players is a surefire way to learn and improve.

:Rayquaza-Mega: :Zacian-crowned: :Necrozma-dusk-mane: :arceus: :Arceus: :Kyogre:

this is a team that i've used multiple variations of in tour games. the basic idea is to break the opponents defensive backbone with life orb ogre, and to sweep late game with either SD zac or DD ray. i've gotten many questions about the ray set before—the EVs allow ray to live 2 ice beams from supportceus at full and to outspeed jolly zac at +1. sky plate allows ray to not get chipped as easily as LO ray, as well as providing almost as strong of a power boost to its primary STAB move.

===

Thank you for your time Nevelle! Feel free to ask questions in the thread below!

cromagnet

Ray.gif

Welcome to Anything Goes Player of the Week! In this series, I will be interviewing accomplished and respected Anything Goes players in the community. You will be able to ask questions and interact with these players by commenting in this thread. Interviews will be limited, but I am open to suggestions on Smogon or Discord. This week, I will be interviewing AG Winter Seasonal Winner & the newest council member, Fc!

:lucario-mega: Fc :marshadow:

Most known for

Being a relatively new AG player who won Seasonal

Favorite Pokemon

:Lucario:
One of my first most played games was smash bros brawl and Lucario was my first main, so naturally I just started liking it in the games also. Competitively it's probably Marshadow though, clicking buttons and killing things with it is just so fun, it's like Lucario but better.

For some reason my name was always like a mystery and something to make a joke out of what it stands for since idt I've ever actually said, but my initials are just cf but Fc sounds better to say. I was born in 2004 so that's where the 04 part of my original smogon and my current ps name comes from.

I've been playing casual Pokemon since I was around 8 starting with Platinum, and later on probably like a lot of people found out about showdown and competitive from Youtube. People like pokeaim, blunder, and adrive were probably where I first learned about it, and eventually started playing myself. I joined smogon also because of something I saw on youtube about a dynamax suspect test in random battles and also the ubers ladder tournament, which was the tour that started off my competitive play pretty much.

Favourite has to be galar since it's the main one I play, I just feel the most comfortable in it. There's a lot of possibility once you step out of the mindset of how restricted it can be at times, and the play is generally pretty fun. Least favourite is probably ORAS by default, I have barely any games played in it and the idea of just ekiller + darkrai spam isn't exactly appealing to someone getting into it, but there's probably a much deeper level to it I just haven't experienced so it's my least favourite for now.

Definitely balance. Most of the teams I build are balance style ones, because I think they're the best kinds. They can usually cover every match up defensively while having a bit of offensive pressure to back them up, and that's just how I like to play in AG because it's consistent and work

It's kind of hard to find a favourite without watching all the ones I've seen live again, but in recent memory it's probably this game from losers finals of seasonal. Both players brought really cool teams with Solgaleo and Hone Claws Yveltal going aganist Dual Dance don and DD ndm for some really fun cores. Watching it the whole time you it was really hard to tell who was going to win in the end with Gothitelle being a constant annoyance, and I think a lot of cool things got shown off with a very high level of gameplay.

Talk to us a bit about your SSNL run. What were your biggest challenges, best teams you used, favorite moments, etc.?

I think the biggest challenges of the run were definitely near the end with the round robins and finals, since it was the highest stakes and also when replays started being required, so I couldn't rely on the same few teams that were consistent like I had been doing. I think some of the best teams I used throughout the tour were the Kyurem-W one mentioned in the last question here, as well as the one in this finals game. I built it for this game, with a lot of cool things I like using like Orb Marshadow and CM defensive Kyogre with a good defensive backbone, so I think it was one of the more solid ones overall. Best moment was definitely winning the whole tour, since that was the goal from the beginning, but a close second was hitting my last Sheer Cold attempt that mattered against Nevelle in winners finals to win the series. Wasn't clean since after 2 tries it's just a 50/50 for the game but was still really hype for me to make it into finals.

You are a relatively new player to the AG scene, but a well known Ubers player. In a generation where the differences between AG and Ubers are few, how do you think that these differences (Dynamax, Zacian-C, Shadow Tag) fare in the AG meta compared to Ubers which saw them as too much.

The bigger differences that were banned from ubers are still really good in AG. Dynamax is meta defining, with it playing a big part in most games, Zacian-C is still a top tier threat that fits on a ton of teams and has really good set variety, and Shadow Tag doesn't see much play usage wise but is still really hard to deal with because of how common things that lose to it are like defensive NDM. I think Dynamax makes the tier really interesting though so it's not a negative thing how prevalent it is, I think no matter what Shadow Tag makes the game worse but not much to do about that, and Zacian-C is generally fun to use and more manageable because of Dynamax being around, so they're all impactful and definitely leave their mark on AG. BP is also still stupid but really inconsistent with Dynamax ignoring evasion.

Similarly, what is your favorite thing to do in AG that you cannot do in Ubers?

Probably either way more reliably covering things with Ditto or using a viable Kyurem-W lol. Ditto with Dynamax in a really power heavy meta can really shine, and I think using it frees up a ton of pressure on teams to the point where they can loosen up a bit on the fully defensive structures. Kyurem-W is always a cool mon also, and while Sheer Cold is kinda lame it gives the mon a super valuable spot in the meta which is always fun since it's typically considered one of the bad ubers.

Probably the same people I wanted to be like tour success wise when I joined AG and the people who helped me get into the tier, people like you, Icemaster, Guard, and Nora are all amazing players that I wanted to have a similar success to and looked up to coming into the tier.

I'd say when starting out competitively trying to get into AG, I'd recommend joining some tours on smogon, and if there are none currently ongoing just start practicing in room tours, but most importantly I'd say start by either using sample teams or watching high level tournament replays and building teams based on those and other resources on forums. In a meta with so many options it's easy to fall into using fun and varied things that you may think work on paper and may work on ladder, but compared to competitive teams they will typically fail. Being successful relies a lot on teambuilding or just using good teams effectively, so I'd say overall practice at a higher level in tournaments no matter the results while getting better in room tours and ladder, and use good teams while doing so to get accustomed to the meta and improve.

:Kyurem-White: :Zacian-Crowned: :necrozma-dusk-mane: :yveltal: :ditto: :groudon:

This team was used in week 5 of AG snake as well as a lot of my seasonal games. I think it's a super effective build in the meta that takes advantage of a lot of solid picks. I stacked a lot of Zacian-C soft checks in Phys.def SD Groudon and Ditto which also gave me Stealth Rock support, meaning I could go with defensive dd ndm to make it a much more bulky offense style team. I wanted to use Kyurem-W also given how good Sheer Cold was becoming, so it fit really nicely because I already had Sun and Ditto to help if Kyogre became a huge problem, but Kyurem could usually manage alone. Yveltal is ev'd to live Adamant Life Orb Marshadow Poltergeist into CC, and the rest is fairly standard with Ditto and Assurance Zacian rounding out the team.

===

Thank you for your time Fc! Feel free to ask questions in the thread below!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)