Analysis Workshop Project

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Jrrrrrrr, Blue Kirby and I are working on getting the analysis workshop subforum updated, organized and manageable for this expected Platinum hit.

What we want to do is delete all the crap threads in the forum, delete (maybe, get to this later) all the peer edits already represented on the site, put sets that should be on the site, but for some reason are not, on the site, and post in (even semi worthy) threads to see if their ideas should be accounted for.

BK and I are currently going through every thread in analysis workshop and marking it with delete or don't delete, with a small reason for each.

Now, this is more of a heads up as for this point in the project I really do not want help...please don't help in the marking lol. It is a tedious process and some internet browser refreshing dynamics make it annoying if too many people are updating (even with just BK and I we have to tell each other when refreshing the page)

What I do want to recruit people for is a later step in the process, which will be the putting sets on the site part and the looking at old threads part. Since I expect to be done with my marking by today / tomorrow, I want to get started on that next step ASAP.

So basically, any volunteers that are available for the next week or so?

Also, BK and I are marking peer edits that have been put on the site for delete.

However, after talking with Jumpman16, I feel that those peer edits should be put in some sort of "peer edit archive," if only for educational purposes.

Opinions on this?

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would be willing to help if you need extra bodies.

I think the peer edit archive would be a pretty good idea, although I think C&C has too many subforms already.

A peer edit subforum could be a good idea, but all the 'good' peer edits would be on the site already. The only real function would be "how to do/not do a peer edit".

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to help with anything / everything.

The "Peer Edit Archive" sounds like a good idea as well.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I can't say I see the point of a peer edit archive. As darkie said, the good peer edits would go onto the site, and we probably don't want to archive the bad ones anyways.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well we're definitely deleting bad ones.

The point of the "peer edit archive" would be to show people numerous examples of good peer edits (educational purposes), and just kind of show people who have done what peer edits.

I mean, I'd sure like to show people some of your quality uber analysis revamps, Great Sage :P

The peer edit idea sounds fine, as for helping out I would also be available to assist with that if needed.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm kinda indifferent on the peer edit archive, I could go either way. Seems like you guys have a lot of help already so I doubt I'm needed but if any help is needed for whatever reason I'm willing. And this project was needed so nice job guys, especially with Platinum coming out (although I don't think it's going to be quite as influential as everyone is making it out to be but I could be wrong).

Edit: When I first logged on I didn't know what the project was and I looked at the forum and I was like, "oh, Aldaron went nuts".

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Last night I deleted all of the threads that have been locked because of how bad they were...that took about 5 out of 21 pages away by itself.

I just went through the first 3 pages and soft-deleted everything that Aldaron and BK marked as deleteable.

I am personally all for a peer edit archive. It would show the process of how the analyses are kept up to date, give great examples of what a good peer edit should look like, and they also serve to recognize contributions to smogon, no matter how small. There could be some ladybugs-in-waiting in those threads that we may have been glossing over! Although, as far as I know, all of the RBY/GSC/Adv edit contributions that were in their own archives on the forums are gone. These would be great in their own forum/spot in the archives as well....except if the ones from older generations just got deleted then I'm not sure that these ones should be treated any differently. I personally liked having those around, what happened to them?

Any thread that has an edit which was added to the site was soft-deleted with the same comment ("added") so that if a peer edit archive ever comes, the process of moving them there will require very little effort from any mod. Just click the boxes next to the ones with the "added" comment and move it, then do the same thing a second time with select all and undelete. It wouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hate to double post but I have an update and an announcement to make:

We've deleted all of the crap threads, now we're going through and seeing which of the good ones have already been added to the analyses (9/21 of the way finished) and getting rid of the threads. If an Analysis Workshop archive is to ever be made, the good threads will all be marked with the same comment ("added") so that they may easily be moved by any mod since the threads are only soft-deleted. Next step is to actually add the sets, which is where we'll be needing some slight assistance. We will likely be ready for this on Monday or perhaps tuesday. I'll post again when that time comes.

I cleared out what was the first 9 out of 21 pages of that subforum, deleting everything that aldaron and BK marked and posted in the threads that I feel could use some more attention. The forum is down to 11 pages and there are a lot more analyses that went ignored than I thought. Doing this is making me happy because my suspicions that the peer edits were largely being ignored when the discussion finally settled down was true and they weren't getting into the analyses. Even when a set gets relegated as "just an Other Option", why does nobody make sure it gets mentioned there? lol

@ Aldaron and BK: I'm all caught up to where you two left off in marking, and I've done a bunch more deleting after the parts where you guys left off.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
ok great, your job should be much easier now that the forum is down to almost 8 pages :D

i'm taking a nap....i'll get started again later since i'll probably have nothing to do during the Pats game.

I hope I'm not too late, just got back from vacation, and even with my "past history" in analysis workshop, I have plenty of free time and would love to help.

Aldaron

geriatric
ALRIGHT!

Analysis workshop is completely marked now (damn it took a long time...)

Thanks a lot to BK for helping Jrrrrrrr and I out with the marking.

I'd like a moderator to delete all the threads marked for deletion, and then we can get moving to the real meat of the project: updating the actual site.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice job guys. Looks better already. If you guys get bored I'm more than happy to read over and help upload the ones that are "clearly done" but I think you pretty much have it under control so I'll just let you be. Nice job Aldaron/J7r/Blue Kirby.

Edit: Forgot to mention the real reason I was posting was to tell Aldaron to get his bulky mence up on site, I've seen that thing everywhere now and it's amazing.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rather than deleting posts, we could just lock them (if they are done because they're on the site, obviously delete garbage edits). This way, in case there is a question about something later one, people can look up the Peer Edit. This would make future edits possibly easier, as no one would need to get a mod's permission to read old edits.

Aldaron

geriatric
Well, if we have a "peer edit archive" we can throw all of them in there, so if people want to look at them they can. The reason I am am emphasizing they stay out of that specific forum is because I want to keep it solely for active peer edits.

Also Caelum, please help now lol.

Everyone should work to get those 7 or so pages of peer edits represented on the site, or at discussed.

O, I'm doing my peer edits, so unless I explicitly ask for help, don't bother.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)