SV OU An Age of Both Old and New (SV OU Balanced)

Hello Trainers! It's good to be back to playing Pokemon once again after a long hiatus. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet is so much fun and I'm just now planning a ticket to the competitive side of the game. Using the experience from the game, I've conducted my first Pokemon team to see how well it'll do in today's meta game. All the newcomers, all the different strategies, it's excited to try out new things. Please note, I only know Pokemon I've encountered during my Pokemon Violet adventure so there are those I haven't seen yet.
With that being said, open the curtains and turn on the stage lights, here's the cast!:

1669468086575.png

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Tera Blast
Dragon Dance

While team building, the Pokemon who'll be the main star of the show is one of my all-time favorites back in Diamond and Pearl, Dragonite. Dragonite never fails to be an absolute powerhouse and I'm always eager to have it in my team again like a super friend. I gave it a Jolly nature because I want it to strike hits faster against more non-Choice Scarf sweepers. That's what a sweeper does, doesn't it? The main strategy on using Dragonite is to keep it in waiting while the rest of the team members wear opponents down with their attacks and Stealth Rock, giving it the green light to mercilessly finish them off. Heavy-Duty Boots are mandatory for it to safely set up a Dragon Dance thanks to the Multiscale ability.
Dragon Claw is better than Outrage (even though the name still sounds cool) because I don't want my friend to be locked against Fairy-types. They're a Kryptonite to all dragons...BUT! That's where the Tera Type comes in. By transforming into a Poison-type, it catches the likes of Azumarill and Gardevoir off-guard by unleashing a Tera Blast. It's a move they'd least expect and it's something that'll happen in most cases. Lastly, Earthquake is also a must to give it more type coverage against many Steel-types that don't have Ground-type immunity or Air Balloon.
I know what Dragonite's strengths and weaknesses are and Ice Shard and those who out speed it when it's at +1 are some of them. Weaviles, Choice Scarf Garchomps, Levitate Bronzongs and Avaluggs are a sign to switch to something else. Hey, the Pokemon may not be a meta breaker, but it's still an awesome Pokemon and a big fav to many Trainers.

1669468216434.png

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz
Psychic
Quiver Dance

I've chosen a physical powerhouse, so why not choose a special powerhouse who is also a classic to competitive play, Volcarona. In Pokemon Black & White, this was the Bug-type that stunned us all. This Pokemon tells us to never underestimate a bug. As soon as I saw a wild Larvesta, I KNEW I must have Volcarona in a team. It's so good back then and it's so good even now. Anyway, enough of that. This Pokemon has the same strategy as Dragonite, Wait until late-game for others to wear opponents down and strike at the last moment. Heavy-Duty Boots is also a must for this fella as Stealth Rock is a real bully to it. Poor thing's double weak to Rock so it's a good thing the held item was made specifically for it.
Its' signature move, Fiery Dance is the most considerable move as it makes it more of a threat after a Sp.Atk increase, especially when KO'ing an opponent. Think of it as a Moxie as a move. With it, Bug Buzz is the main move for all-out sweeps. Psychic is there to deal with the likes of Toxapex, Glimmora and Clodsire which the Tera type gives a bonus to. Imagine that. A fire dancer that breaks the sound barrier by buzzing and attacks with the power of ESP. Cool, huh?
Aside from Stealth Rock, it falls victim to many big super-effective attackers like Quavalval, Vaporeon, Gyarados, Staraptor, Salamence, Coalossal, Garganacl and very specially defensive mos like the infamous Blissey and Chansey. They'll swat it out of the battlefield. That's why it never wants to face them alone. I have to make sure the cost is clear before the Pokemon flutters in and make a stand.

1669468351650.png

Corviknight @ Shed Shell
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 SpD
Impish Nature
Brave Bird
Body Press
Defog
Roost

Corviknight is the Galarian version of Skarmory in Pokemon Sword and Shield. Okay, it's not a different Skarmory variant entirely but you know what I mean. This team members takes the role as a physically defensive Defogger, eliminating everything on my field that gives other team members a disadvantage. The important thing about making a team is to have someone that gets rid of entry hazards. That's team building 101. This loyal raven fits the role perfectly with its defensive bulk and typing. Not to mention the Ground-type Tera type giving it Electric-type immunity. Sorry Pikachu, but your spotlight is in another gym! I prefer using the Sword/Shield EV spread because I prefer it to handle special attacks better as well. The reason why I chose Shed Shell as an item is because Magnezone is still a large and when it's out. Corviknight can't get away which can cause a lingering problem to others..
Brave Bird as always is what a brave bird needs to swoop down with might while keeping an eye on recoil damage in the process. Body Press is to slam down on the likes of Cyclizar and Roost for it to keep fighting on its talons.
This Pokemon can sure play the long game. However, it will not stand a chance against those who burn it into roasted chicken. Sunny Day teams in particular can definitely give it a bad day and it's not much help when the entire teams other than Dragonite does not have much to take hits from them. When I face such a team, I'm afraid Corviknight has to take the fall with grace. All Rotom variants along with Taunt and Trick users are also a problem to it as they can cripple the Pokemon easily. But despite all that, Corviknight is still an awesome Pokemon.

1669468447705.png

Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
Careful Nature
Earthquake
Toxic
Stealth Rock
Recover

Well well well, who'd thought I'd see the day Quagsire has a different variant and it's literally the special defensive wall version of Quagsire. I do remember using a Quagsire in Pokemon X/Y and it drove Trainers mad. That made me wanna use Clodsire a.k.a Quagsire 2.0. It has the bulk, typing and moves necessary to keep the ground running. The team member was originally going to be Glimmora but it doesn't have the stamina as Clodsire and a suicide lead won't suit the team well. Its role is to put pressure on my opponent with Stealth Rock and Toxic who are not immune to them. This'll put a dent to the other team enough for Dragonite and Volcarona to finish the battle and get the W or slowly wear opponents down into submission. You know what they say, defense is the best offense. Water Absorb was chosen over Unaware because I want the entire team to have a Rain Dance barrier, not giving the Pokemon in that kind of team an early opening. The Tera Type is to give the Pokemon Psychic-type immunity so that Pokemon such as Espartha and Gothitelle won't leave a dent to it and if a Trick user dares swap items with it, they'll be given the Black Sludge treatment, causing them to suffer additional damage. That's the reason why I prefer Black Sludge over Leftovers.
With Earthquake, it gives the team slightly more physical move coverage and its the main choice for a Pokemon such as Clodsire to deal as much damage as possible, even when it doesn't do much as when a sweeper uses it. And of course, it ain't a wall without a move that can restore HP like Recover. It's a must. No question about it.
As its a special wall, it falls flat against physical sweepers such as Gyarados, Garchomp, Salamence and even Dragonite. I have to make sure I don't think of Quagsire when using Clodsire. Remember when I said anyone who dares Trick it gets the Black Sludge treatment? It doesn't mean that its safe from them. It'll still be crippled nevertheless. Anything that stops it from setting up is a danger.

1669468596972.png

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Timid Nature
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch
Will-o-Wisp
Trick

Here's the third classic to the team, Rotom-W. This one takes the Choice Scarf role, out speeding almost everything it sees before washing them away or giving them the shock. Veteran Pokemon Trainers like myself know how well Rotom-W performs over the years. To me, it still has its prime as the one that can give opponents a whole lotta trouble.
Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are essential for it. Anyone who doesn't have Water Absorb and Storm Drain will be given the washout while Volt Switch is there for my other comrades to gain the upper hand by damage alone. Volt Switch in my opinion is used to play mind games with the opponent before sending either Dragonite or Volcarona late-game. Will-o-Wisp is to deal with physical powerhouses and Trick is there to deal with walls. All these moves are what make Rotom-W the Pokemon you can put in almost any team.
But it doesn't mean it's perfect. Like every Pokemon, it has its flaws. Storm Drain Gastrodon, Quagsire, Water Absorb Clodsire can completely block any attack. The only way Rotom-W could do anything against them is Trick and Will-O-Wisp, but even that wouldn't help it either. They will leave it rusting with dismay if I don't switch out. Grass-types such as Meowscarada can also be a concern when Volt Switch isn't used so for it to be most efficient, these threats must go down first. Seems to me the threats this Pokemon faces are increasing day by day.

1669468753058.png

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Naive Nature
Close Combat
Moonblast
Thunderbolt
Psyshock

Look at it! This futuristic Pokemon is equivalent to Metal Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog. Not to mention its based on my top favorite Pokemon, Gallade. I love it! I thought about what would be the best last member of the balanced team while keeping an eye on the type coverage of the Pokemon altogether. Another wall may not have been good and a lead wouldn't be much help. Then, I remembered Iron Valiant. I want it to be an all-out sweeper. So I did a bit of research and decided to give it the mixed wallbreaker role with max speed. The Pokemon has both physical and special to leave scars on about anything it sees with the help of Booster Energy. Not to mention it has excellent type coverage it has.
Close Combat and Moonblast are both essential choices for a mixed sweeper. Not even the likes of Blissey can survive and tell the tale. Thunderbolt with the Tera type can make it breeze through the likes of Gyarados, Vaporeon and Corviknight at lightning speed and Psyshock is to leave Toxapax and Clodsire stunned. Come to think of it, this is the new BoltBeam Starmie but without the Ice Beam.
It does have drawbacks however. It can fall prey to Choice Scarf and extremely fast opponents like Dragapult and can be retaliation bait against the likes of Swords Dance Mimikyu. Iron Valiant is not much of a glass cannon compared to others but its special defense is something to be aware off with the Naive nature it has. The best chance for it is to not let it get out sped by opponents and if there's something I think is faster than it, switch out.

- TEAM OVERVIEW -

Overall, I think I'm off to a good start with this team. It has good type coverage, a balance between attack and defense and capable of handling many threats. But looking at it from a different perspective, it's mostly weak to Sunny Day teams and even Rain Dance team if Clodsire's down. A Pokemon with Flash Fire such as Ceruledge could work but that would not not benefit the whole team much. I'm all about preparing what to expect in battle so I'm eager to see how the meta game in Pokemon Scarlet/Violet plays. There could be others I don't know who can make the team stronger but for now, this'll have to do. It'll sure put up a fight to whatever Pokemon it may face.

- CONCLUSION -

That's what my team is at the moment. I can still feel it can be improved in some way. But I'm not sure what changes I need to make before taking on the big leagues and tournament events on here coming soon. That's where you come in. Please let me know what Pokemon I need to replace and what moves my Pokemon need to put in. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
That's all for now. Take care and happy battling! ;)

PokePaste version: https://pokepast.es/4da035c554e98215

Tera type Normal > poison on dragonite, and replace tera blast with extreme speed, with tera type normal giving espeed STAB at +1 it gives you insane hard hitting priority

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)