Alternative EV spread for BulkyGyara in AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I've seen a lot of people using the following spread recently : 156 HP / 88 Atk / 96 Def / 168 Spe with a Jolly nature. It outspeeds base speed 130s after a Dragon Dance, everything else is the same. I'm quite surprised it's not on-site yet, since outspeeding Jolteon and Aerodactyl after a DD could prove quite useful. A short sentence or two outlining the advantages of this would be good, no?

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Ugh, too weak. Bulky Gyarados is already WAY too weak as it is.

I guess it can be mentioned, though. It can't hurt...

Yeah, its cool for a mention though I thought Jolly was already mentioned for every Gyarados set for that reason? Other than that I would never use it because of how weak it is. If you use Jolly you may as well go with 280 Speed to outspeed Lucario and ScarfHeatran after a Dragon Dance before it explodes on you.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ugh, too weak. Bulky Gyarados is already WAY too weak as it is.
Both spreads are piss weak, and the power difference is < 10%. It could be worth it to not get revenged by Aerodactyl and Jolteon.

Yeah, its cool for a mention though I thought Jolly was already mentioned for every Gyarados set for that reason? Other than that I would never use it because of how weak it is. If you use Jolly you may as well go with 280 Speed to outspeed Lucario and ScarfHeatran after a Dragon Dance before it explodes on you.
Jolly is not mentioned on BulkyGyara for some reason. Also, yeah most of the time, when I use Jolly Gyarados I usually go for 280 speed, but that requires 228 EVs, which leaves no room to make yourself as bulky as you need to be. 280 is awesome on offensive versions though.

yeah, I personally find this spread more effective. I don't notice any 3HKO's turned into 2HKOs, or 2HKO's to OHKO's, but it's defiantly nice to outspeed Jolteon. Definitely needs a mention in the analysis.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mentioning in AC the change to a Jolly nature instead of Adamant is probably plausible. However, if anything I prefer this to be mentioned in OC in a very general way. Let's see what the other QC guys think.

On spread I've done for a wile now is an ugly melding of Bulky and Offensive that's fun to use: Jolly@Leftovers 72 HP / 172 Atk / 36 Def / 228 Spe. It allows Gyarados to outspeed ScarfTran, like RL said, and the 172 Atk allow for +1 Gyarados to always OHKO SpecsJolt with Waterfall, Stealth Rock or not. HP hits the same number as the alternative Leftovers spread in the Offensive analysis, and the 36 Def is just extra. As I said, ugly and odd, but I've found it effective. That's my 2 cents (if even worth that).

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Jolly Bulky Gyarados seems very weak... It's worth a mention but I wouldn't emphasise it at all really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)