Implemented Alternative Custom Avatars for Team Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

Apologies if this is not the right forum spot for this thread. Team tournaments are an incredibly fun aspect of Smogon with high-level games. One of coolest aspects to those looking in is the customs. This would put more work on artists, but most team tour customs are simplistic. I think having the option for two avatars (male or female) would be nice. Teams of course could just stick with the one avatar if the other option isn't wanted by anyone. I am not suggesting access to both the male and female versions of the custom. Having mascot mons makes it pretty easy to have this system since the trainer is not very relevant. Giving teammates the option of male or female promotes inclusivity and well... it doesn't hurt anyone. With the current system it's pretty much impossible to not have someone "settle" with like 10-15 people on an official team.

honestly this sounds a little crazy upfront but... i really like it in practice. last year I thought the terror's crash wake + gyara avi was cool but I rarely used it myself just bc it wasn't something that I thought represented myself enough. even now when I'm back to presenting more masc I still would probably taken a fem trainer in that situation if given the option.

idk if space issues on the sim would be a problem but i really ask those in charge to seriously consider this proposal. i think it really goes a long way in letting everyone take pride in their team and in their expression.

and of course it doesn't have to be purely about gender identity or whatever, some people are just going to naturally prefer having Cool Dude avatars and some people want Pretty Girl avatars, look around at smogon PFPs and you'll see what I mean pretty quickly. the team representation is still going to be there with identical mascot pokemon and trainer aesthetics anyways.

as for logistics, ex. sclIIplatoonm/sclIIplatoonf work for avatar names, let players sign up for their choice, seems simple enough

edit: pay the artists appropriately tho if we're getting 2 avis. support ur artists!!!

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Since I'm de facto in charge of these since their inception in SPL X, I should prob respond. I assume this is for team tournaments like SPL, SCL, and WCoP? Other team tournaments might have CT prices for the winning team and those I've never been involved with and are more up to the PS US team that approved the price in the first place.

I don't mind the idea as long as the trainer duo would form a natural pair and the different avatars doesn't feel totally different from each other overall. The problem tho is that we're right before the start of SCL and some teams have already submitted their CT of choice and I don't know if there's enough turnaround for them to make another set if they wanted to. It should probably be at least discussed among PS US and def Marty which uploads them in the first place. I've also been meaning to write a more comprehensive guide to these CTs and what should be expected of them and such.

tl;dr sure, just maybe not for this edition of SCL

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I am not suggesting access to both the male and female versions of the custom.
I am suggesting this. Sending in two avatars and one list of players per team is the same amount of effort for everyone involved except the artists. Plus I don't have to get a dozen people messaging me later like "oh but I want to switch to the other one now, please, please!"; just take both from the beginning. Creating more work for no benefit is crazy!

Theia

I danced for you for the last time
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Hello and good morning! There's not a lot to say on this matter since both Kala (as the de facto lead on official team tour avatars) and Marty (as the GOAT) have given their approval, but just to officially speak on behalf of the whole PS Upper Staff team since Kala mentioned it generally being up to us:

We're happy to support this for official team tours as the most prestigious tours on the site, though allowing it for all tournaments might lead to things getting a smidge overwhelming. This is a great idea to promote inclusivity and feeling comfortable/happy, and we're really glad to facilitate any steps towards that. And be sure to show artists the proper appreciation for making this happen!

Thanks for making this thread :psyglad:

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I dunno if any of the other TDs have more of an interest in this, but this hasn't been any focus of mine. Though, since all the relevant parties have given their individual okay for this I see no reason not to implement this for future team tournaments (not necessarily the ongoing SCL).

I'll admit to not having much of an idea of how much time artists are spending on these, so if any of those have any objections it'd be good to know too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)