Alphabet Cup

ugh the alliteration make it stop
You're against Shaymin-Sky Soak Seed Flare shenanigans?
Drapion. Just Drapion.
Dark void, Dragon tail, Defog... Learns knock off naturally too and other fine tools! A+ support.
Defend Order, which, with Battle Armor, means it only has to worry about moldy crits.
Dragon Dance Drain Punch anyone?
Is there any merit to Tyranitar's Trick or Treat?
Probably better than Fletchinder's Forest's Curse.

Analysis of all the letters options and some notable moves
A-Not notable but some tanky mons could use it (Amnesia, Aqua Ring)
B-Very powerful with high damage (Boomburst, Belly Drum, Blue Flare)
C-Has some defensive options (Cosmic Power, Calm Mind, Cotton Guard, Counter)
D-Very good almost a weaker S (Most Dragon moves, Dark Void, Defend Order, Defog)
E-Has good offensive options (Earthquake, Extreme Speed, Eruption)
F-Same as E, but with better coverage and less power (Fusion Flare, Freeze Dry, Foul Play)
G-Small pool to draw from, but some interesting options (Geomancy, Glare)
H-Has some powerful options, but you'll need a decent natural move pool to use it well (Head Smash, Heal Order)
I-Few options but some useful stall moves (Ingrain, Infestation, Iron Defense)
J-Essentially a 120 power hidden power is given to J mons (Judgement)
K-Small pool of moves, but some are reasonable (King's Shield, Knock Off)
L-A gimmick letter some interesting options (Light of Ruin, Light Screen, Leech Seed)
M-Large pool to draw from with diverse options (Milk Drink, Mach Punch, Meteor Mash, Metronome)
N-Small but a special attacker could use it (Nasty Plot, Night Daze)
O-A very small pool of special moves (Oblivion Wing, Origin Pulse, Overheat)
P-Large pool of options, and a lot of physical coverage (Precipice Blades, Perish Song, Parting Shot)
Q-One viable move, but it's a good one (Quiver Dance)
R-Large pool, but not a good one (Recover)
S-What is their to say undoubtedly the best letter many many powerful options (Shell Smash, Spore, and so many more)
T-Very diverse, and some special attackers will like this letter (Tail Glow, Techno Blast, Topsy-Turvy)
U-Not many options, but Unown can finally use one of its highest stats (U-turn)
V-Few options, but usable (V-Create, Vacuum Wave, Volt Tackle)
W-Small and interesting letter (Water Spout, Will-O-Wisp)
X-GREATEST OPTION EVER Good thing only two mons start with X (X-Scissor)
Y-Gets an option for sleep (Yawn)
Z-Not a good letter (Zen Headbutt)

Just remember that every Pokemon is different this is a look at simply the moves of a letter, and a mon could use any letter in a far different way besides the one listed (except Y), but this could be useful for any newcomers to the tier.

Last edited:
S is clearly a broken letter and the most powerful, but the real question is which S Pokemon do we use when we only get one "103 Pokémon begin with S, giving it the highest frequency of occurrence for an initial letter." -Bulbapedia the most common letter is also the most powerful so which of the S mons is the best? Salamence could be a fast mixed attacker, but Sableye has prankster spore, and Shedinja could use some gimmick set, and Sawsbuck and Shaymin have serene grace. Shuckle also has enough defense to use S. So which S mon does everyone think is the best and why?

E-Has some offensive options, not very notable (Earthquake, Extreme Speed, Eruption)
Man, you really haven't played Alphabet Cup. ExtremeSpeed is the most most abused thing in this tier ever.. to the point that if you do not have a valid counter for the opponent's +2 ESpeed, you're pretty much done. And it's especially that tension of not letting the opponent set up that makes the meta interesting. Quagsire helps a bit, but Excadrill has Mold Breaker to walk over it. Sableye can act as a check, but only if it as full health and has full investment in HP and Defense (+2 Earthquake bangs you up pretty bad).

Man, you really haven't played Alphabet Cup. ExtremeSpeed is the most most abused thing in this tier ever.. to the point that if you do not have a valid counter for the opponent's +2 ESpeed, you're pretty much done. And it's especially that tension of not letting the opponent set up that makes the meta interesting. Quagsire helps a bit, but Excadrill has Mold Breaker to walk over it. Sableye can act as a check, but only if it as full health and has full investment in HP and Defense (+2 Earthquake bangs you up pretty bad).
I legitimately forgot ESpeed had +2 priority while writing this let me fix that

Some possible nuisances:

Shell Smash Sigilyph
- Mono attacking Stored Power sets have an easier time sweeping with this once dark types are out of the picture.
- Can now run Secret Sword to plough through dark types though 4MSS is a problem.
Sigilyph has Miracle Eye already: Roost, Cosmic Power, Stored Power, Miracle Eye. No Burn-Shift but you are not walled by Houndoom and forced to cripple down Dark Types with Burn (while taking Knock Offs/Dark Pulses et cetera).

Cool meta tho.

Searing Shot/Sacred Fire Serperior is a thing, and you can run HP Ground freely without worrying about Scizors.
Storm Throw Scizor cool too...Technician Storm Throw is a 135 BP Fighting Move...OHKO on not physically-defensive Heatran.
And more...

One thing I've noticed:

Sigilyph @ Leftovers
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid/Jolly Nature
- Stored Power
- Spore
- Cosmic Power
- Shell Smash

Murkrow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpDef/4 Def (Rest is up to you)
Timid Nature
- Mystical Fire
- Memento
- Haze/Mean Look
- Roost

Mystical Fire & Memento an opponent that you're comfortable doing so against, then bring out Sigilyph and go for the Spore. If they stay in, they're asleep with lowered stats, if they switch out, the switch is asleep. Then use Shell Smash or Cosmic Power to boost your stats as much as you want, before going for a sweep with Stored Power.

If a physical attacking opponent attempts to set up on you when you have Murkrow out, or if a special attacking opponent uses Nasty Plot to counter your M.Fire, use Haze to reset their stats. If your opponent is dealing low damage, you can use Roost to recover your HP, allowing you to M.Fire more.

Alternatively you can use Mean Look over Haze. If you use this right, you'll be able to start setting up against an offensively weak special attacking mon, lowering their SpAtk drastically with M.Fire and Memento and giving Sigilyph a much easier time should it wake up prematurely.

Effectively a stronger version of the old Stored Power Sigilyph set, hoping to test this out soon.

Fun fact: last time the creator of Alphabet Cup, Martingale, posted, Arcticblast was OM leader, unfixable was a badgeless and frequently banned user named Chesnaught and he still posted in a weird green font, and it was still 14 months before baconbagon would join Smogon.

Yet this keeps coming back time and time again (and almost won OMoTM at least once), so there's clearly some sort of interest in an alphabet-based meta. Perhaps it would be a good idea to find a new thread owner, or better yet, put Arhops in charge so we can finally #freealphabetmons?

I mentioned this a long, long time ago, but I think it deserves re-mentioning. I believe Sceptistar mentioned that for an H-mon, the Pokemon would have to have a decent enough natural movepool to do well; therefore, my suggestion (wow, almost 2ish years ago now) for an H-mon would be Heatran. Heal Order is amazing on it, and Hurricane acts as a coverage move that complements its high base Special Attack stat. When I built this a while ago, I also gave it Horn Leech as defense against Water- and Ground-types despite the low attack because it works well as coverage. The last slot should be a Fire-type move--Flamethrower and Overheat would both work nicely. EVs should probably be invested in HP and Special Attack (once again, I'd need to go back and check). Thoughts?

Fun fact: last time the creator of Alphabet Cup, Martingale, posted, Arcticblast was OM leader, unfixable was a badgeless and frequently banned user named Chesnaught and he still posted in a weird green font, and it was still 14 months before baconbagon would join Smogon.

Yet this keeps coming back time and time again (and almost won OMoTM at least once), so there's clearly some sort of interest in an alphabet-based meta. Perhaps it would be a good idea to find a new thread owner, or better yet, put Arhops in charge so we can finally #freealphabetmons?
A few months ago I think I remember I suggested the idea of rebooting the thread, but TI was against it because he didn't like the concept. But maybe since this keeps getting attention it may pick up some activity in the future.

Reactions: nv
Thoughts:

Mega Manectric with Milk Drink
Hitmontop with Heal Order
Heatran with Heal Order
Registeel with Roost
Porygon 2 with Parting Shot
Whimsicott with Will-O-Wisp
Shuckle with many great S moves (Slack Off)
Is Manectric that good of a wall to take advantage of Milk Drink? The best thing about it is Intimidate, which it stopped by a switch, not to mention it still dies to alot of special hits

Sandstorm571

I COULD BE BANNED!
I swear EVERYONE is talking about S mons. not me!

Hydreigon (<3) gets Hydro Pump, High Jump Kick, Head Charge, and the Hyperspace moves

Diggersby gets Dragon Dance

Toxicroak gets Tail Glow, as well as Thundurus, Tornadus, Togekiss, and tangrowth

BANETTE HAS FRIGGIN BELLY DRUM

Here's a nasty little thing to cripple someone: Speed Swap Shuckle. Yyyyyyeah.

Also, Aegislash gets Accelerock (Rock-type priority for those pesky Fire-types) and Anchor Shot (prevent your opponent from switching to those pesky Fire-types in the first place), as does Aggron.

Additionally, Landorus-T gets Liquidate, which is yet more useful coverage off its ridiculous base Attack that can total bulky Ground-types, and Mega Lopunny gets Leech Life, Liquidate, and the underrated Lunge. Since Lunge is guaranteed to lower the target's attack stat, there's an argument to be made in its favour on grounds of giving the megabun more survivability against physical threats.

EDIT: A few more ideas:-

Blastoise with Burn Up (A 130 BP Fire-type move with no appreciable downside ought to give people pause)
Camerupt with Core Enforcer (100 BP Dragon-type coverage is always useful, whether it's affected by Sheer Force or not...)
Dragonite with Dragon Hammer and Dragon Ascent (More evolutionary than revolutionary, this one, but it's a straight upgrade over Dragon Claw and Dragon Ascent has some serious STAB power)
Pinsir with Precipice Blades (If you can't have Earthquake, why not something better?)
Swampert with Sacred Fire (Swampert and its Mega are magnets for Grass-types. This'll learn 'em)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)