Alolan Vulpix, Ninetales Discussion

Any reason to run Hex instead of Freeze dry? A will have a Toxapex on my team either baleful bunkering or toxic spiking, and all that poison status will almost always make hex do double damage.

So what happens with the egg moves. Like the fire type ones? Or the TM transfers when breeding?
If they aren't apart of the Aloha-Vulpix's list of Egg Moves or TM's (which is different from regular Vulpix) then it wouldn't transfer down to the child. Just like any other pokemon.

I know it's a weird concept to wrap your head around, but it's almost like Aloha-Vulpix is a completely different species to regular Vulpix. So no, you can't breed to get Flamethrower on Aloha-Vulpix.

Edit*: it was pointed out to me how insulting this sounds. My apologies, I didn't intend it that way.

Last edited:
Any reason to run Hex instead of Freeze dry? A will have a Toxapex on my team either baleful bunkering or toxic spiking, and all that poison status will almost always make hex do double damage.
Using freeze dry allows ninetales to operate more independently. Hex has its uses, but with that set-up it becomes a wasted slot if anything happens to the spikes

I'm curious about how y'all feel about the viability of dedicated hail teams. I like the idea of dedicated hail, but taking a turn to set up screens seems like a momentum killer, and I don't know if the slush rushers can handle shared threats like Scizor.

If they aren't apart of the Aloha-Vulpix's list of Egg Moves or TM's (which is different from regular Vulpix) then it wouldn't transfer down to the child. Just like any other pokemon.

I know it's a weird concept to wrap your head around, but it's almost like Aloha-Vulpix is a completely different species to regular Vulpix. So no, you can't breed to get Flamethrower on Aloha-Vulpix.
Was that really necessary?

With the way the "SOS battles" work in wild encounters, it'll be easy to obtain a Snow Warning Vulpix ingame, which is nice.

Was that really necessary?
Oh! I'm sorry, I honestly didn't mean that to be an insult. But rereading that it sounds really condescending.

I meant that it's weird that Aloha-Vulpix (and Aloha pokemon in general) is statistically a different pokemon from regular Vulpix, given the different type, movepool, egg moves, TM list, and abilities. It's a lot further than just an alternate form of the pokemon, at least for how alternate forms were done in the past. So regular and Aloha Vulpix barely share any common ground, other than base stats and superficial aspects like design.

So going by prior gen knowledge, they should share TM's and Egg Moves, but don't.

My apologies for very poor wording.

I'm really liking this mon. The aesthetic design is great, the boost in viability for the worst weather is great, the speed is nice (after, what, two gens straight of slow bulky ice types? I think Weavile was the latest :<)

The choice between Icy Rock and Light Clay (if it does extend Aurora Veil, do we know this?) is kind of hard though, but I feel like Light Clay is generally better. Halve all damage is much better than chip damage+accurate Blizzard+Slush Rush.

The cliffnotes version of Gen 7 hail is probably:
-Light Clay Ninetales-A
-Slush Rusher of your choice
-three filler. Stuff that would help enable a slush rush sweep, take on steels and stuff.
-maybe a third ice-type. Maybe Stalrein will come back? Passive heals and half damage yo. But more realistically, a really strong, Specs blizzard user like Kyureum, and... Glaceon? Jynx? jfc why are they all so slow

Freeze Dry allows Ninetails to take out opposing Weather Starters, especially now that Pelliper has access to drizzle.
Pelipper has garbage SpD though, and is slower, Moonblast 2HKO's it and Blizzard can OHKO after SR. The only other thing Freeze Dry covers is Politoed, who I doubt will see much usage.

I think it can get away without Freeze Dry. It has too many support options to run Freeze Dry and Blizzard at the same time. Aurora Veil/Moonblast/Ice STAB are all a given, and that fast encore is really appealing to allow chances for your slush rush/other teammates to get in safely. Disable and Nasty Plot are also interesting options.

Honestly I see this poke running independently nicely in maybe UU dual screening in a turn is great along with nice stabs. That special attack isn't doing it any favors but aurora veil will probably allow it to set up a nasty plot pretty easily in a decent number of situations.

I just don't see dedicated hail teams working super well this gen, and I have a feeling the slush rushers are gonna be at least a tier or two below faetails

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm of two minds with Alolan Ninetales for Battle Spot Singles.

On one hand, it has a pretty damn good speed tier and its probably by far the fastest user of Aurora Veil. I could certainly see myself using a Focus Sash set to set up Aurora Veil. Outspeeding Garchomp is excellent too, since last gen had a ton of Focus Sash Garchomp leads. Just Blizzard them and watch them pay, or set up Aurora Veil as they switch out in fear! Plus, I might even be able to beat Kartana leads with Blizzard + Ice Shard if I get really desperate.

However, there is a curse to Alolan Ninetales's speed: If other weather setters besides Tyranitar, such as Gigalith and Pelipper become prominent, then they can be led or switched in to get rid of Hail, which will really suck for getting Aurora Veil up. I don't think that would lead to game over for Alolan Ninetales, but it does make me temper my expectations a bit.

I also want to try Alolan Ninetales in doubles metagames like Battle Spot Doubles and VGC, but in this case, I am certain that Pelipper is going to be rather common, and I can totally see people using Torkoal here too. So again, the speed might be a bit of a curse here, meaning that I can't set up Aurora Veil easily early game. Might still be worth a try though, but I'm actually more interested in Aolan Ninetales for singles because despite the awesome Blizzard spamming (granted not off a great SpA stat), I can't help but feel like weather wars are gonna damage it more in doubles metagames.

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot about Freeze Dry! That will probably be very important against Pelipper! Torkoal will still be nasty in doubles however, but this will make Ninetales easier to use for sure.

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot about Freeze Dry! That will probably be very important against Pelipper! Torkoal will still be nasty in doubles however, but this will make Ninetales easier to use for sure.
Freeze Dry also notably destroys the Pelipper/Mega Swampert core, if ever that becomes popular.

Not just Pelipper and Mega Swampert, but Ludicolo, Seismitoad, and Kingdra are also 4x weak to Freeze-Dry. And other Swift Swimmers aren't going to like taking a Freeze-Dry either.

Rain teams will pretty much HAVE to run a Steel-type if they don't want Alolan Ninetales to crap all over them.

Well, Bullet Punch has just become a necessity. Aurora Veil is way too good, especially in Doubles/VGC. And oh, it stacks with the regular screens? Marvelous.

I wouldn't recommend stacking screens with Aurora Veil though, takes too long to set up.

The whole draw of Aurora Veil is being able to accomplish in one turn what would take two turns for Light Screen and Reflect.

So if I want Freeze dry and Moonblast, who would I need to breed with this girl? Also how long did it take people to get Snowwarning vulpix's?

So if I want Freeze dry and Moonblast, who would I need to breed with this girl? Also how long did it take people to get Snowwarning vulpix's?
1) Aurorus -> Lapras -> Delibird -> Alolan Ninetales -> Alolan Vulpix (M) w/ Freeze Dry

2) Sylveon -> Alolan Ninetales -> Alolan Vulpix (M) w/ Moonblast

3) Alolan Vulpix (F) w/ HA caught from chaining

Breed 1) with 3) -> 4) Alolan Vulpix (F) w/ Freeze Dry & HA

Breed 2) with 4) -> 5) Alolan Vulpix w/ Freeze Dry, Moonblast, & HA

tl;dr It's going to be a pain to get it on there from scratch.

EDIT: Which also means it's impossible pre-bank I suppose. Unless some new gen 7 pokemon magically got Freeze Dry that could be utilized instead of Aurorus.

Last edited:
1) Aurorus -> Lapras -> Delibird -> Alolan Ninetales -> Alolan Vulpix (M) w/ Freeze Dry

2) Sylveon -> Alolan Ninetales -> Alolan Vulpix (M) w/ Moonblast

3) Alolan Vulpix (F) w/ HA caught from chaining

Breed 1) with 3) -> 4) Alolan Vulpix (F) w/ Freeze Dry & HA

Breed 2) with 4) -> 5) Alolan Vulpix w/ Freeze Dry, Moonblast, & HA

tl;dr It's going to be a pain to get it on there from scratch.

EDIT: Which also means it's impossible pre-bank I suppose. Unless some new gen 7 pokemon magically got Freeze Dry that could be utilized instead of Aurorus.
yeah seems pre bank Freeze dry is impossible. shame, since I wanted it on my first Sun team, and I wouldn't want to have to remove the vulpix I played the game with :( Do we know of any new pokemon getting freeze dry at all?

Is chaining easy to do during the game? I don't need to wait for post game do it? And then there are natures to consider to... do we get an everstone early?

EDIT: Ok, I saw Smeargle is in the game, and is in the same Egg Group as Ninetails. So you could get Smeargle to have moonblast and Freezedry from a Sylveon and a Galie, but it would have to be done quite late in the game, since moonblast and freeze dry are very late moves

Last edited:
yeah seems pre bank Freeze dry is impossible. shame, since I wanted it on my first Sun team, and I wouldn't want to have to remove the vulpix I played the game with :( Do we know of any new pokemon getting freeze dry at all?

Is chaining easy to do during the game? I don't need to wait for post game do it? And then there are natures to consider to... do we get an everstone early?

EDIT: Ok, I saw Smeargle is in the game, and is in the same Egg Group as Ninetails. So you could get Smeargle to have moonblast and Freezedry from a Sylveon and a Galie, but it would have to be done quite late in the game, since moonblast and freeze dry are very late moves
Ah I forgot about Smeargle. Yes that would be possible. But it would still be a lot of work. I mean there is only one new ice pokemon discounting alolan forms. It seems Crabominable does not. So getting an Alolan Ninetales with moonblast/freeze dry seems pretty impossible during story mode at least or at the very least pretty impractical. I have no idea when we get the everstone, but getting both of these moves seems like it would be a better post-game goal.

Ah I forgot about Smeargle. Yes that would be possible. But it would still be a lot of work. I mean there is only one new ice pokemon discounting alolan forms. It seems Crabominable does not. So getting an Alolan Ninetales with moonblast/freeze dry seems pretty impossible during story mode at least or at the very least pretty impractical. I have no idea when we get the everstone, but getting both of these moves seems like it would be a better post-game goal.
It does sound rough, but not impossible. Smeargle is early in the game if that team planner is correct. you get Eevee second island, and then you get Vulpix and Snorunt 3rd island. Yopu could possible take a break there to get both moves and the hiddle ability and be ready for breeding by third island(I would assume ever stone would come earlier then that)

Its not ideal, but if I want to use Ninetails in the mainstory its my only option... still would need to wait till post game for Celesteela, but only 1 post game pokemon is better then my 2 post game pokemon in Moon(Pheromosa and Tapu Lele)

Has anyone located where the Ice Stone is in game? I want Ninetales for my in game team but not if the ice stone is post game.
It's at the Shady House in Po Town on the third Island. Leave through a door to the left and the item should be just outside. You can get more of them in Poké Pelago, but you need to build and upgrade the cave island for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)