SM UU Alolan Muk + Pyukumuku Stall (Peaked #1, 1872 ELO)

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I figured it is the time for me to present the best stall team I made throughout my entire SM career. The reason I like this team more then other stall teams is because this team utilizes Alolan Muk + Pyukumuku, both of which people don't always take into account while preparing for stall. Both Pokemon are ridiculously underrated on stall because they are able to reliably eliminate certain stallbreakers like standard-NP Celebi, Calm Mind Chandelure, Taunt Gengar, Nasty Plot Azelf, and more, and also deal with other stallbreakers like Nasty Plot Infernape and Nasty Plot Lucario if you're taking Z-moves out of the equation (through scouting with Protect or sacrificing a less important member to it) and Togekiss via Protect.

Team Members

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 100 HP / 200 Atk / 164 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Not only is Alolan Muk an excellent Pokemon on stall teams because of its ability to reliably trap Calm Mind Latias, Nasty Plot Celebi, and more stallbreakers, but Alolan Muk is also excellent for stall versus stall matchups because of its ability to spread Poison, Knock Off items, and Pursuit Blissey. The given EVs maximize Alolan Muk's bulk, with emphasis on its special bulk, while also allow it to hit decently hard. The given Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Blissey which is crucial in stall versus stall matchups but if you use this team on a tournament and your'e not expecting stall you can liberally dump the Speed EVs into Attack. The reason I still chose to have the Speed EVs in the presentation is that the high ladder has high stall usage and you have to be prepared for these builds too.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Protect
- Recover
- Toxic

At first glance, this isn't the standard Pyukumuku set. This EVs spread allow Pyukumuku to deal with setup sweepers from all around the spectrum like Nasty Plot Infernape, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, Swords Dance Scizor, and more. The key is to always aim to keep Pyukumuku at as high health as possible and force the setup sweeper to consume their Z-move on a Protect or on a sacrifice of a less-important member of the team. Counter is Pyukumuku's main way of dealing with physical setup sweepers like Swords Dance Scizor and Dragon Dance Mega Altaria because the EVs spread and the nature are more SpD-oriented. As mentioned before, Protect allows Pyukumuku to make Z-move users like Cobalion and Infernape consume their Z-move and counter them reliably. It is also Pyukumuku's main way of beating Nasty Plot Togekiss and retaining longevity.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Roost
- Defog

Defog, Electric-immunity, Ground-immunity, and an amazing physical bulk made Gligar become a staple on contemporary stall teams. Its EVs spread is pretty basic - it allows Gligar to reliably switch into Choice Band Terrakion while having good special bulk too. Curse is an interesting option but is worth the slot because the fact Pyukumuku is more SpD-orientated means physical setup sweepers like Scizor and Mega Altaria have a decent potential to get out of hand. Thanks to its immense physical bulk, Curse lets Gligar beat most Swords Dance Scizor variants as well as Dragon Dance Mega Altaria one-versus-one, and sometimes even act as your win condition if the opponent's Ground-immunities have been eliminated.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Blissey has been the premier special wall in the tier for a while now. It is able to singlehandedly switch into every unboosted special attacker in the tier, which is why it deserves the spot in the team. Other than checking special attacker, it has the crucial role of setting up Stealth Rock, which the team can't exist without.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 244 Def / 216 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Similarly to Blissey, Alomomola is the main pivot into physical attacks in the tier thanks to its pure Water-typing, phenomenal bulk, and ability in Regenerator. Usually, I set it to be the lead of the team just because it can afford using Knock Off on virtually anything and let the team jump with a good start. It is also the team's main way of healing up Alolan Muk thanks to Wish.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog / Dragon Dance / Flamethrower

Mega Altaria is the third star of the team and that's because it's the team's main answer to Crawdaunt, secondary answer to Nasty Plot Infernape, and only Heal Bell user. It is weird that Mega Altaria has 3 moves slashed in the 4th slot but there's a good reason for it. The move you'd want Mega Altaria to have on the 4th slot is matchup-dependent; Defog lets it outstall passive Stealth Rock users like Gligar and Hippowdon together with Gligar, Dragon Dance allows Mega Altaria to become another win-condition for the team which is greatly appreciated on the team due to the team's passivity, and Flamethrower greatly helps in the matchup against Scizor and Mega Aggron. All-in-all, my go-to 4th move in the ladder is Defog, but if you're expecting a certain opponent you can liberally adjust the 4th move to your preference.

Threatlist

Physical Setup Sweepers - even though they're predominantly countered by the team, in conjunction with hazards they have the potential to get out of hand so inflicting them with Toxic or pressuring them is very important.

Mega Manectric VoltTurn - because Gligar is the Electric-immunity of the team and is hit super effectively by Hidden Power Ice, beating Mega Manectric + a strong U-turn user like Choice Band Scizor can be tough with hazards up on your side.

On top of the above, every stallbreaker the tier has to offer has the potential to pose a threat to the team, but that's why stallbreakers exist - to pose threats to stall teams. The reason I am not listing them is that they're too straightforward and the threats I have mentioned are team-specific threats.

Notable Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-455138 - vs. Corckscrew in Smogon Snake Draft - my opponent used Stored Power Latias + SubToxic Salazzle and it still wasn't enough to break the phenomenal defensive synergy of the team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-945199769 - vs. xray in UU Open - the team overcame Nasty Plot Celebi + Swords Dance Terrakion with Stealth Rock.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-928754769 - vs. EternalSnowman in an unofficial draft league - an early version of the team beat Taunt + Stealth Rock Krookodile + Togekiss + Calm Mind Necrozma.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-972272691-86frsvkhrifonwmoi9iq87hrw8am2ucpw - a high-ladder game featuring Stallbreaker Mega Pidgeot + Swords Dance Z-move Terrakion

Proof of Peak

Importable
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 100 HP / 200 Atk / 164 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Protect
- Recover
- Toxic

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Roost
- Defog

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 244 Def / 216 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)